Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Viscount Legend Live Love Letter

Dnsmo

Regarding comparison with the XK3:

I went to the Sam Ash on 34th St and played the Legend Live beforeand after I went.

The XK is looser thand the Legend Live, both in action and latency. I just find it and HS in general less satisfying than the Legend or even Mojo or UHL

Granted, I havent had a chance to play the new XK 5, so I cant speak to that, only SKs and XK3.

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

As far as I am concerned the Viscount /Key B is the one to get.

"Another" organ I tried recently had major issue with the percussion harmonics when set on slow decay. The balance wasn't quite what I was used to, and I had a heck of a time with most speakers and headphones trying to get the upper register dialed in.

The Key B does not have this problem. Plus there is a percussion volume dial. I don't have to worry about going through some damned wi fi connection.

Another great feature of the Key B is the bass response. On that "other" clone I couldn't seem to get enough bass.

At the moment I am getting reasonable results with the HX3 and various controllers. If I had the money , I would have a Key B though.

Is KeyB currently making any clones other than the ones they are partnered with Viscount on? Has the Legend/Live/Solo been hobbled or crippled in some way compared to the original KeyB? Is it not their organ modeling tech with many of the enhancements they've been promising in the Legend all these years?

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

No, KeyBs partnership with Viscount is the only thing now.

The Legend series is a completely brand new clone ie new hardware and software.

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

Dnsmo

I went to the Sam Ash on 34th St and played the Legend Live beforeand after I went.

The XK is looser thand the Legend Live, both in action and latency. I just find it and HS in general less satisfying than the Legend or even Mojo or UHL

Granted, I havent had a chance to play the new XK 5, so I cant speak to that, only SKs and XK3.

Thanks for that comparison. If I were to replace my XK system, I think the Legend would be my first choice.
Dennis

Dnsmo

Thanks for that comparison. If I were to replace my XK system, I think the Legend would be my first choice.

If you want to try one, I have the legend live . I play at Moms Place , dearborn and erie , every friday in october 6-830 if you want to hear it in a band setting.

"Ive been playing Hammond since long before anybody paid me to play one, I didn't do it to be cool, I didnt do it to make a statement......I just liked it "

• 3 months later...
Hi Guys,

It looks like most of the members on this thread are converts, but have a look at this for NAMM 2018.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=188927408359275&set=gm.1557635360957408&type=3&theater&ifg=1

Chris

Interesting. Looks like something the wife might tolerate in our living room. I'll show her the picture :)

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

I am glad that Elvio Previati finally saw his dream come to this fruition. I know he went through a lot to make this happen.

Saw the pix of the B-3 style cabinet with the Key B inside...whatever it is called. Doesn't Hammond Suzuki have rights to this cabinet design? Just curious.

I had a Mojo 61 earlier this year.... it didn't work out for me. I opted for an HX3 with a Hammond controller until a Legend Solo became available. I am looking forward to putting together a single manual/ dual manual option for the Solo.

I am also experimenting with " altering" the keys on my old Numa 1 to make this type less stiff and have less resistance. So far so good. If it works out I am going to transfer them to the Legend Solo. More about this if there is interest in hearing about it. The stiff keybed is my only major beef the the Solo.

I am glad that Elvio Previati finally saw his dream come to this fruition. I know he went through a lot to make this happen.

Saw the pix of the B-3 style cabinet with the Key B inside...whatever it is called. Doesn't Hammond Suzuki have rights to this cabinet design? Just curious.

I had a Mojo 61 earlier this year.... it didn't work out for me. I opted for an HX3 with a Hammond controller until a Legend Solo became available. I am looking forward to putting together a single manual/ dual manual option for the Solo.

I am also experimenting with " altering" the keys on my old Numa 1 to make this type less stiff and have less resistance. So far so good. If it works out I am going to transfer them to the Legend Solo. More about this if there is interest in hearing about it. The stiff keybed is my only major beef the the Solo.

Does this involve swapping out the springs??

Yes.... it would involve swapping out the older Numa springs into my newer Legend Solo.

I stretched the springs on my Numa a while back, and this made them have less resistance. They don't push back as much now. You have to be a bit careful. I just pulled them up with some needle nose plyers to take some of the "fight" out of them.

I experimented on the preset keys until I felt like I was skilled enough at it to do the main keys.I tried to pull them up in equal amounts.

Now the keys on my Numa feel much quicker and have less resistance. It's just another way to emulate the broken in feel.

Yikes.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

My only problem is that when all clones are good sounding and affordable, I dont seem to be selling the old one when I buy a new... Right now I have a Legend Live Solo, a Mojo 2-man, a HX-3 module and an SK-1... :)

I have NO idea what that's like. None WHATSOEVER. *Ahem* [Looks into front room, counts somewhere between five and seven clonewheels depending on your definition. Whistles innocently, wanders off.]

I haven't wrecked any springs. I did this on my Numa a while back, so I'd like to transfer the older springs to the Legend Solo I just got.

The Legend Solo doesn't look like it's that hard to get into, but I am a bit nervous about getting in there.

Anyway I am loving the sound. I am using the modeled 70's organ primarily. The C/V on the Legend is nice as far as I am concerned. The percussion is REAL nice. I haven't done any of the updates.... I was kind of warned against it by the guy who sold me this.

Still can't believe that this came up used on Craigslist last week. The guy who had it is one of those guys who has everything.Apparently he sold it so he could get a new MAG.... HX3 based clone.

BTW my HX3 experience wasn't bad.... I just got tired of hooking more than one thing up. With the Solo I spend a lot of time just plugging the headphones in and practicing.

So nice to have this...

The stiff keybed is my only major beef with the Solo.

I'm very happy with my Legend Solo. I'm OK with the keyboard, but a tad less stiff would be nice.

I haven't done any of the updates.... I was kind of warned against it by the guy who sold me this.

The latest update (1.3) provides a number of improvements, although there has been a mixed reaction from users to some of them, particularly the overdrive and the percussion scaling. However, Viscount have announced a new update (1.4) that will provide further improvements and address previous feedback, and will be available to users after beta testing at the NAMM show.

I would love to hear more about 1.4 update. What are they changing?

I might like to hear the overdrive emphasize the high frequencies a bit less. The " Steppenwolf'' approach to this was to unplug the high frequency horn from the leslie.

Still loving easy access to percussion volume on the Legend Solo. Need more bass? Push in upper manual drawbars, turn percussion volume down a bit, pull lower manual drawbars all the way.

Or use some pedal bass, also with easy access on the Legend Solo.

Leslie sim boosts percussion volume a bit on this BTW, so it's easily turned down a bit.

No beef with CV or leslie sim here. Excellent JIMMY Smith paradise setting on the 70's modeled organ

The percussion attack of the Legend is great...but one thing they didn't model is the percussion recharge. Once the percussion dies out, it is immediately at full strength upon next triggering. It might seem like a little thing, but when you play the real thing so much, little things like that stick out.

Endorsing Artist/Ambassador for MAG Organs and Motion Sound Amplifiers, Organ player for SRT - www.srtgroove.com

The percussion attack of the Legend is great...but one thing they didn't model is the percussion recharge. Once the percussion dies out, it is immediately at full strength upon next triggering. It might seem like a little thing, but when you play the real thing so much, little things like that stick out.

I understand pretty well what you mean, but to me it´s kind of splitting hairs.

I´m pretty sure it all depends on to which "real deal" Hammond console comparisons were done and they simply cannot know your real deal at home.

I´d say,- caps recharge is something which is different on all the reals deals out there and depending on ageing.

Maybe not (so much) w/ the "red cap" Mylar cap models, but w/ all the others for sure.

OTOH, when I heard B.Auger playing the Legend, I wasn´t too much impressed compared to how it sounded when he used his "Organ Planet" chop (in europe).

So,- I´m interested in the Viscount (KeyB) Legend models, but also hope for some more improvements.

All the sound demos didn´t convince me up to now, especially not those from Thomann website.

When I´m about buying a clone, I want it working for jazz and rock.

The advantage of a digital technology clone is to make that work in only one instrument, OD, C/V and leslie sim included.

And up to now, the best in that discipline is HX3 which unfortunately is just only a circuit board and software, an expander module or the UHL,- and it seems there´s only the MAG organ using HX3 and doing it right w/ the haptics.

A.C.

I understand pretty well what you mean, but to me it´s kind of splitting hairs.

I´m pretty sure it all depends on to which "real deal" Hammond console comparisons were done and they simply cannot know your real deal at home.

I´d say,- caps recharge is something which is different on all the reals deals out there and depending on ageing.

Maybe not (so much) w/ the "red cap" Mylar cap models, but w/ all the others for sure.

Gotta agree with Mitch here. It has nothing to do with generator caps, so Mylar or otherwise is irrelevant. The preamp has a one shot envelope that triggers percussion on all notes held down at the time. Release it and it quickly recharges but not instantaneously. Thus rapid fire but cleanly articulated lines get a slightly reduced percussion volume subsequent to the first note. If you are modelling Hammond behavior, model this too please.

Moe

---

The percussion attack of the Legend is great...but one thing they didn't model is the percussion recharge. Once the percussion dies out, it is immediately at full strength upon next triggering.

Did you try ver 1.3? I noticed lack of recharge on earlier version too, but I think they did something to it in the update.

Gotta agree with Mitch here. It has nothing to do with generator caps, so Mylar or otherwise is irrelevant.

Sorry I´ve mistaken generator caps w/ others.

I´m not so deep into real Hammond service/ repairs ...

The preamp has a one shot envelope that triggers percussion on all notes held down at the time. Release it and it quickly recharges but not instantaneously.

Yes, but it´s a cap (Mylar or not) quickly recharging,- no ?

And it doesn´t suffer from age ?

And when it does, that´s not different in any ageing Hammond out there ?

Thus rapid fire but cleanly articulated lines get a slightly reduced percussion volume subsequent to the first note. If you are modelling Hammond behavior, model this too please.

Yep, that would be desirable,- but I wonder how difficult that is when every Hammond behaves slightly different.

What´s the ideal then ?

It´s possibly the same case we always have when discussing C/V, percussion decay or the action of a clone.

P.ex., why want people a perc. decay control when it´s clear how it has to sound and the manufacturer just only had to do it right ?

There are a lot of different imaginations out there how something should sound and what for and in this discussion that would be what the right level of perc.-volume drop for the 1st note of a line/phrase is.

And I tell ya, once the "issue" gets adressed, there will come up dozens of different complaints according to the result similar to "the action is too stiff or too lose" or percussion decay is not accurate on perc. "slow" or "fast" or the C/V introduces too much "warble" or not enough "purr" and so on.

And when all is perfect it doesn´t stink like oil.

It never ends and there´s a lot of nitpick in there, isn´t it ?

A.C.

There are some things that are adjustable on a real Hammond like percussion decay, depending on how your own real Hammond is setup users typically prefer a clone to decay like their Hammond, so a percussion decay adjustment should be tweakable. Percussion soft/normal loudness is fixed (unless you make a resistor change). The question of recharge is a good one, should modeling reflect a capacitor new out of the factory or 50 years worn? Perhaps there should be a percussion recharge setting. But whether new or worn there still is a recharge time. Also, when they wear the don't fully recharge. So there may not be agreement on the correct recharge rate but full recharge instantaneously is not modelling authenticity. All the little things do add up to a sound that moves the clone further and further from the target. I believe that the Viscount also does not model loudness robbing. There is a video showing the differences between the two. Surprisingly there area lot of differences:

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band