Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Radial KL-8 Keyboard Rack Mixer

Looks like Radial has made the rack mixer version of the Key Largo that many of us were wishing to have.

https://www.prosoundnetwork.com/gear-and-technology/namm-radial-debuts-kl-8-mix-station-swb-usb-auto-switcher

Nord Stage 3 Compact, Korg Kronos 61, Casio PX-5S, Yamaha DXR 10 (2)), Neo Vent, Yamaha MG82cx mixer and too many stands to name.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed, very cool concept - except this:

MIDI and USB connections allow control of a LAPTOP soft-synth....

which makes me suspect it will not work with iOS devices, i.e., is not class compliant.

If that is true, would be like the Key Largo in that respect.

Baffling to me why they would completely ignore the whole iOS ecosystem.

But, crossing fingers that Im wrong - would love to have something like this!

I could use this. The floor/desktop version has stuff I'd never use on it.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

I don't know how many they sold, but I think the big miss from the original Key Largo was a pre-fade send/alternate bus, allowing the musician to mix in a send from the desk to a monitor feed, while sending all other channels through those lovely DIs to FoH.

I can't tell if the new KL8 can do that. The "On" switches are presumably mutes, while the "Cue" could configure routing to a cue bus - possibly feeding the "Cue" headphone output? There's also a "Remote-Aux" socket, next to the remote USB switcher socket, which is intriguing...

Cheers, Mike.

I don't need this, but it's cool! Anything in a rack is better than a stand-alone, in my opinion! I'm still hoping for a rack mount Ventilator with uber features one of these days. :wave:

I am actually using my Focusrite 18i20 as my I/O (obviously) and hardware Mixer. Tons of inputs and outputs, plus front panel knobs. Great routing capabilities, etc..

Here's an example of the editor to set it up

R6Pq7e.jpg

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

Fantastic news! Really dig that you can keep your monitor signal separate from FOH. Outside of my Yamaha MV802, I have not seen this feature in a rack-mount stereo mixer.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Fantastic news! Really dig that you can keep your monitor signal separate from FOH. Outside of my Yamaha MV802, I have not seen this feature in a rack-mount stereo mixer.

Samson SM10

Behringer 1602

Both can keep your stereo monitor mix separate from FOH :)

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

Samson SM10

Behringer 1602

Good to know David, thanks. :2thu:

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

All of there mixers are well thought out too.

Some 3 Stage Tubes for signals post USB Ports would be like Gold.

I can wait. I use their 8 channel Space Heater on Canterbury Rhodes 8 DIO Clavinet,, Zebra2 HZ and Omni. Shit gets Fat...

Really liking deez guys.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

Yup,there are the ground lift switches plain as day in that pic. That pic also enlarges better than the other one. I think I can almost see one of the pins of the power input labeled DC. so I guess maybe external power supply. Thanks.

Wake me up when there is an 8 channel stereo version with 8 XLR outs.

Meanwhile it's 2 x DBX DI4

https://dbxpro.com/en/products/di4

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

Samson SM10

Behringer 1602

Yeah I got the Samson for this very reason. I would like to replace it with this, although David's route of using his Focusrite as interface and mixer is very attractive too. Price will tell, as always!

Am I the only one who wished this (and the original KL) would have a sum to mono button for the outputs?

You might wish for the button, but not for how it sounds.

Most digital stereo keyboards still sound crap in mono and there are only a very few exceptions where the exceptions are just only a very few patches from the overall palette.

Radial Engineering knows that,- and what´s your intention making everything mono when the FOH guy can do it and will be responsible for how it sounds then ?

I tell ya what I miss on the KL-8 design ...

"Balance/Pan" controls for each input channel, the channels being balanced TRS and individual gain (-20dB/+4dB) switches per input channel for the case there are unbalanced and balanced output keyboards/expanders in the rig.

A.C.

I have a stereo DI on my pedal board which has a mono function. When I have a bar gig with less than optimal situation i prefer mono. All cables are pre-wired, so I only have to

push the button. I have to say, in this rig it is synth sounds only, so stereo image is only coming from the effects.

Rudy

I have to say, in this rig it is synth sounds only, so stereo image is only coming from the effects.

And my experience is that the FX are the ones collapsing to some phase cancellation nightmare when forced to be in mono.

I´m not aware of any of my gear has true-mono-compatible stereo FX build in.

A.C.