Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: WTF is going ON here? [Re: d / halfnote] #2903583 01/20/18 07:23 PM
whitefang Offline OP
10k Club
OP Offline
10k Club
Maybe, I really don't clearly recall anything else except they wore white cowboy hats and shirts with fancy yokes and fringe on the sleeves. And I don't recall recall ever seeing those three dress that way. But maybe they did in earlier times.
Whitefang

GP Island
Re: WTF is going ON here? [Re: d / halfnote] #2904256 01/23/18 05:26 PM
Guitarzan Offline
10k Club
10k Club
I always finish off by ear after checking with a tuner. I will not use harmonics to tune. I want my fretted notes in tune. And strings will stretch when pressing down to the fret so I have found no success using harmonics.but that's me. I also use quite a bit of crunch and enjoy all intervals (not just root and 5th) so I like to be in tune.
Tal Farlow had a very good article in GP ( the evh eruption issue) on tuning. You can balance the tuning all over the neck by alternating between the standard 5th fret method and by the 10th fret string skipping method.
On the low E play the 10th fret d note and compare to the open d, then the 10th fret a string g note with the open g etc.by checking between those two positions you should be pretty good over the whole neck.

Re: WTF is going ON here? [Re: d / halfnote] #2904259 01/23/18 05:35 PM
Guitarzan Offline
10k Club
10k Club
Originally Posted By: d
Always good to learn something new & I'd not seen the instrument in the OP before.
However, while he's quite fast, I didn't hear anything new in the actual playing.
He could've been using a kb or even a standard gtr.
Compare to the Jon Gomm clip posted by A String.
Gomm's perf there is both a better demonstration of possibilities but flat out more musical in every way but particularly in its dynamics.
twothumbs

As for tapping overall, many modern players cite EVH & Jordan but the techniques been around longer.
Zappa used it (although,, I'm not actually positive he did it before Dweezil played him some EVH trax.

Classical violinists are sometimes required to tap & in jazz it goes back a long way.
One early proponent = Tal Farlow.
Chk the end of this tune...not as flash as rock cats nor as integrated as Jordan but in the kit bag earlier.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIaseicCzFk

A real sick player with amazing tapping chops is Mattias Eklundh from the band freak kitchen. He taps harmonics with his fretting hand and adds fretted notes or volume swells as well as trem. Honestly his guitar sounds like other instruments because of his touch. The only effects he uses is an occasional overdrive. His touch creates so many tones.

Re: WTF is going ON here? [Re: A String] #2904433 01/24/18 03:22 PM
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club
20k Club
Originally Posted By: A String
I think the trend really took off again and developed into it's own thing after stuff like this started coming out:

That's really sweet! Thanks, A'. Nice selection.

Originally Posted By: whitefang
I'd say we all do a bit of "tapping" when we play leads( meaning getting the note(s) out by tapping a finger on the neck in certain areas instead of "picking" the note)...

That's often referred to as a hammer-on, or hammering-on. Very useful for smooth legato sound and feel, and not at all a crutch or cheating or falling short in any way. I use it a lot, specifically for the sound.

Originally Posted By: whitefang
I don't feel so bad now. wink
Whitefang

Good! You shouldn't feel bad at all, ever, about using what works for you. smile

Originally Posted By: desertbluesman
I first heard a tapper named Stanley Jordan, he blew everyone's mind when he first hit the scene.

Originally Posted By: skipclone 1
My cousin saw Stanley Jordan in a small club in California when he was on a visit-it was intimate enough that he was able to chat with Stanley after the show. One of my cousin`s compositions is on my soundclick page.
So what did they talk about? it could almost be a pun but, it was something they are both fascinated by-superstring theory.

I caught Stanley Jordan live many years ago, in a relatively small outdoor concert in a park. He was great! And he was clearly a really nice guy, too.

I'm with Scott, d, and Guitarzan on using-harmonics-for-tuning not being a good way to tune.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _
Re: WTF is going ON here? [Re: Caevan O'Shite] #2904468 01/24/18 06:17 PM
Larryz Online Content
10k Club
Online Content
10k Club
Originally Posted By: Caevan O'Shite
I'm with Scott, d, and Guitarzan on using-harmonics-for-tuning not being a good way to tune.

Count me in too, I've never used harmonics for tuning...now, I just rely on my clip-on tuners which always gets me in the ballpark. cool

Take care, Larryz
Re: WTF is going ON here? [Re: Larryz] #2904498 01/24/18 09:19 PM
D
d / halfnote Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
D
Originally Posted By: Larryz
Here's a little tapping lesson on harmonics by Tommy Emmanuel:

cool

Finally chked that vid / some cool effects.
It occurs to me that tapping & harmonics might be considered inverted techniques.

d=halfnote
Re: WTF is going ON here? [Re: d / halfnote] #2904520 01/25/18 12:07 AM
Larryz Online Content
10k Club
Online Content
10k Club
d, The Eddie Van Halen Tap Harmonic video describes the difference in Tap vs Touch harmonics. Tommy is using more than one technique simultaneously but mostly it's touch (using the pick to activate the string while touching the string lightly over the fret with his index finger) as opposed to just tapping the note an octave higher between the frets. He plays the open string (which is not really open as each string is following the chord he's holding 12 frets down) and he's playing the touch harmonic on the ascending and descending adjacent strings. What gets me is the triplets where he's using pull offs with the fretting hand while doing so at 6:23! Hammer-ons are a form of tapping too that we all use without thinking about it while chording. Anyway, it's best to let Tommy tell the story as I'm just whale crap on the ocean floor LOL! Even though he's playing harmonics, I think it's all a form of tapping and/or touching techniques with the right hand fingers...I don't know if the techniques would be considered inverted? maybe... cool

Last edited by Larryz; 01/25/18 12:09 AM.

Take care, Larryz
Re: WTF is going ON here? [Re: Larryz] #2905461 01/29/18 04:05 AM
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
As it so happens, I’ve been bingeing on touch guitar vids on YouTube lately.

Some highlights:

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation:
Re: WTF is going ON here? [Re: Dannyalcatraz] #2905480 01/29/18 09:14 AM
whitefang Offline OP
10k Club
OP Offline
10k Club
I don't think a fitting adjective exists that does any of that justice. cool
Whitefang

Re: WTF is going ON here? [Re: Larryz] #2905558 01/29/18 02:04 PM
D
d / halfnote Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
D
Originally Posted By: Larryz
d, The Eddie Van Halen Tap Harmonic video describes the difference in Tap vs Touch harmonics. Tommy is using more than one technique simultaneously but mostly it's touch (using the pick to activate the string while touching the string lightly over the fret with his index finger) as opposed to just tapping the note an octave higher between the frets. He plays the open string (which is not really open as each string is following the chord he's holding 12 frets down) and he's playing the touch harmonic on the ascending and descending adjacent strings. What gets me is the triplets where he's using pull offs with the fretting hand while doing so at 6:23! Hammer-ons are a form of tapping too that we all use without thinking about it while chording. Anyway, it's best to let Tommy tell the story as I'm just whale crap on the ocean floor LOL! Even though he's playing harmonics, I think it's all a form of tapping and/or touching techniques with the right hand fingers...I don't know if the techniques would be considered inverted? maybe... cool

Thanks but I was talking abt string tapping vs harmonics; pressing the string vs leaving it in the air....not tap harmonics.

d=halfnote
Re: WTF is going ON here? [Re: d / halfnote] #2905720 01/30/18 12:47 AM
Larryz Online Content
10k Club
Online Content
10k Club
cool

Last edited by Larryz; 01/30/18 02:36 AM.

Take care, Larryz
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose