Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2891378 - 11/20/17 05:42 AM Zebra vs. Diva
BuckW Offline

Both sound impressive in demos on the U-he website.

Which is more better (there is no such thing as best)?

I have a ns3 compact and a Kurzweil digital Piano. Home studio recording mostly prog, fusion-esque.

KC Island
#2891393 - 11/20/17 06:42 AM Re: Zebra vs. Diva [Re: BuckW]
johnchop Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Georgia, US
Demos are free, so download them and try them out.

Diva will use FAR more of your CPU power than Zebra2, but will be better suited to classic analog emulations (Moog, OB, Roland). See if your computer is up to it. There are quality settings that you can tweak to allow for better performance with a hit to emulation complexity.

Zebra2 does not attempt to model the circuitry in the way that Diva does, but will offer a much broader range of sound options, as it approaches synthesis differently.

I think for someone new to soft synths who wants something that sounds "classic"--assuming their computer can handle it--Diva is an excellent choice.

#2891445 - 11/20/17 10:46 AM Re: Zebra vs. Diva [Re: johnchop]
Geoff Grace Offline
10k Club

Great summary, John! cool

I'll add that u-he has a soundset for Zebra 2—ZebraHZ—that features the CPU-intensive Diva filters but does not have Diva's multicore support. The add-on costs $99 and won't work without a copy of Zebra 2. It was developed in collaboration with Hans Zimmer.

If you're leaning toward Diva, there are a lot of great third-party soundsets that are a cut above most of the factory presets. I'd start by looking at offerings by Luftrum.

Best,

Geoff

Enthusiasm powers the world.

Craig Anderton's Archiving Article

#2891464 - 11/20/17 01:14 PM Re: Zebra vs. Diva [Re: Geoff Grace]
RABid Offline
10k Club

For a first VSTi, Zebra. Straight forward, sounds great, all you need for lots of good tracks.

If you are a connoisseur that can hear the difference between a Prophet rev 2 and Prophet rev 3, and your DAW has CPU cycles to spare, and you already have the basic covered with other VSTi's, then Diva is the way to go.

I would not recommend Diva as a first VSTi. A newcomer to VSTi's will not appreciate the finer points of the sound engine, but you will notice the heavy CPU load.

#2891466 - 11/20/17 01:22 PM Re: Zebra vs. Diva [Re: RABid]
johnchop Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Georgia, US
Originally Posted By: RABid

I would not recommend Diva as a first VSTi. A newcomer to VSTi's will not appreciate the finer points of the sound engine, but you will notice the heavy CPU load.

I would say that folks who aren't deep into programming may find their minds more readily blown by Zebra than Diva. You may not need or want much else if you are focused exclusively on a classic analog vibe and don't mind limitations on how many instances you can stack before your computer cries for mercy.

I agree that if you want way more sonic breadth and depth and want to layer sounds in real time (as opposed to frozen tracks), Zebra is a better starting point, as is Rob Papen Predator and a number of other plugins I could name.

#2891590 - 11/21/17 04:21 AM Re: Zebra vs. Diva [Re: johnchop]
BuckW Offline

I should have mentioned I am awaiting delivery of an ADK pro audio laptop, cpu shouldn't be a concern.

#2891596 - 11/21/17 05:27 AM Re: Zebra vs. Diva [Re: BuckW]
hardware Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Macau
ADK Pro 9000s that are 10 years old are still powerful.
IPC from a single core perspective hasn’t really changed.
2600k thru 7700k not much difference for Audio.

Zebra can do DIVA as the HZ Version incorporates Diba Filters.
Plus Zebra3 would be free for HZ users.

Diva is good for multi core, Zebra2 still single core.
Zebra2 HZ At full poly with Dual Diva Filters is 70-80% with 4 Osc.

I like Zebra2 HZ More but because it has looping EGs.
Great for Baba O’Riley, Edgar Winter, Rush, etc.

I actually play the piano parts with left hand and VCS Synth with right hand which some said was impossible.
It’s all in the programming..

#2891624 - 11/21/17 08:02 AM Re: Zebra vs. Diva [Re: hardware]
Stokely Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Florida
I forgot about the free update to zebra 3 (when it comes out of course).

So for the price of zebra 3, if you buy now you'd have:
zebra 2
zebra hz (including the dark zebra presets I assume?)
zebra 3

not too shabby!

I don't think you could go wrong with either Diva or Zebra. I've listened to a lot of the KVR one synth challenges--and these two just sound incredible IMO. Zebra has cleaned up in the past on the "pick one synth challenges", it is very versatile.

#2892338 - 11/25/17 06:08 AM Re: Zebra vs. Diva [Re: Stokely]
BuckW Offline

I found the one synth challenge audio clips for Diva but not Zebra, just Zebralette. Anybody have the link?

#2904125 - 01/23/18 05:29 AM Re: Zebra vs. Diva [Re: BuckW]
BuckW Offline

I'm also equally impressed (and torn) with Bazille.

How does that compare?

What's it like working with any of the 3?

#2904185 - 01/23/18 09:08 AM Re: Zebra vs. Diva [Re: BuckW]
Stokely Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Florida
Originally Posted By: BuckW
I found the one synth challenge audio clips for Diva but not Zebra, just Zebralette. Anybody have the link?

I noticed Zebra the most on the "any one synth" challenges--as the name suggests, the contestants can use any one synth of their choice. For one of them, Zebra was well represented. Obviously with such a challenge sound programmers are going to reach for the tool they know best and have had around for a while so that is to be considered.

Here's one, not sure if there are others actually:

https://sites.google.com/site/kvrosc/osc-60-any-one-synth

Edited by Stokely (01/23/18 09:10 AM)

#2904245 - 01/23/18 11:59 AM Re: Zebra vs. Diva [Re: Stokely]
SpPiano Offline

Loc: CT
I've been a big U-He fan and user for a long time now. If you like their stuff, definitely check out the Repro-5. Put the filter envelopes on 'poly' mode in the tweak section of the synth. Great sound. Check out this video for a comparison of some patches on a Prophet 5 vs the Repro-5 Prophet 5 vs Repro-5

#2904321 - 01/23/18 05:57 PM Re: Zebra vs. Diva [Re: SpPiano]
analogman1 Offline
Gold Member

Loc: UNITED STATES
I own Diva, Repro 1 / 5, and ACE; plus demos of Zebra and Bazille.
My 2 faves are Repro and Diva. They sound great!
Download a demo and give it a shot! you won't be dissapointed!

Moderator:  Grave Bryce, Stephen Fortner