Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic Options
#2903873 - 01/22/18 05:13 AM Re: Winter NAMM 2018 Warmup (NAMMticipation) [Re: ElmerJFudd]
ElmerJFudd Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: USA, greater NY area

KC Island
#2903874 - 01/22/18 05:17 AM Re: Winter NAMM 2018 Warmup (NAMMticipation) [Re: ElmerJFudd]
ElmerJFudd Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: USA, greater NY area
Bitwig 2.3

#2903877 - 01/22/18 06:24 AM Re: Winter NAMM 2018 Warmup (NAMMticipation) [Re: Alexander Nagel]
To B3 Offline
Gold Member

That caught my atention too, first on their FB page. Looks like they are aiming on the do-it-all affordable stage keyboard thing. Wonder how crippled are the tonewheel and synth sections to fit in here. If they put the price not too far from the 500 bucks charged on the current compact 2 and lower than the Roland V-Combos, it will be a potential winner (if we can find them, of course)!

Originally Posted By: Alexander Nagel
Has anyone seen this, the Numa Compact 2X? Nice upgrade of the Numa Compact 2:

http://studiologic-music.com/products/numa_compact2x/

"The Numa Compact 2x brings to the extreme the power of the Compact family. Packed in the same compact size cabinet there are now 3 sound engines. A tone wheel organ model derived from Numa Organ, the Sledge sound synthesis and 1GB of samples memory. The new USB port allows to transmit and receive digital audio. Save more space using the Numa Compact 2x speakers to amplify the sounds of your computer or tablet. (...)"

#2903879 - 01/22/18 06:34 AM Re: Winter NAMM 2018 Warmup (NAMMticipation) [Re: To B3]
chelsea4023 Offline

Hi Alexander Nagel and To B3,
That looks like it could be a great keyboard. I had a Numa 2 organ which (to me) sounded stunning. the only reason I sold it on was to buy a two manual organ. I ended up with the Viscount Legend Live.
The only problem I can see is that these keyboards are getting better (and cheaper) so it's a tough sell. Not weighted either but as 'To B3' say's in the previous post it's got to be priced right.
Chris

#2903884 - 01/22/18 06:51 AM Re: Winter NAMM 2018 Warmup (NAMMticipation) [Re: Alexander Nagel]
tfort Offline

Originally Posted By: Alexander Nagel
Has anyone seen this, the Numa Compact 2X? Nice upgrade of the Numa Compact 2:

"The Numa Compact 2x brings to the extreme the power of the Compact family. Packed in the same compact size cabinet there are now 3 sound engines. A tone wheel organ model derived from Numa Organ, the Sledge sound synthesis and 1GB of samples memory. The new USB port allows to transmit and receive digital audio. Save more space using the Numa Compact 2x speakers to amplify the sounds of your computer or tablet. (...)"

That looks very interesting to me. I wish the drawbars were more traditionally styled, but if it has full MIDI controller functionality, it's definitely on my list for consideration. It does claim to send MIDI CC on the drawbars.

At the right price, it could be a great light-action second board to run MainStage, with built-in sounds as a backup. I really hope they price it a lot closer to the Numa Compact 2 than the Numa Organ 2. If it's anywhere near the Mojo 61 price, I don't think it will be successful. If it's an update to the Numa Compact 2 at near the same price, it will be a huge success.

That Vivo S9 seems like Dexibell's competitor to the Nord Stage.

#2903912 - 01/22/18 07:59 AM Re: Winter NAMM 2018 Warmup (NAMMticipation) [Re: tfort]
To B3 Offline
Gold Member

There are audio demos on the site, but the organ demos are the same that are on the Compact 2 "regular", which does not have a tonewheel engine.

Really hoping to see how close it sounds on that department to the Numa Organ 2 in sound and functionality. If they maintain in the $ 800 league and manage to distribute it well, it's going to be a winner.

#2903933 - 01/22/18 09:24 AM Re: Winter NAMM 2018 Warmup (NAMMticipation) [Re: To B3]
tfort Offline

It's odd that Studiologic went to the trouble of having different colored knobs on the C2x, rather than simple black sliders, and didn't go all the way and use knobs that matched standard Hammond colors. If they fit, it's calling out to use OB Dave's drawbar cap set.

I wonder how much the DSP chips cost Studiologic to include? What I'd like is is something like the C2x with no sounds for $400 or so, similar to other non-hammer action controllers. If they want to include backup sounds for no extra cost, that's great, but once the price gets over $700, I'd probably make the leap to a more serious instrument like a Mojo 61.

The synth demo sounds are also the same as the ones for the Compact 2, so all of the sounds on the C2x seem the same as on the C2 despite Studiologic's claim of 3 sound engines now being included on the C2x. I don't see anything different other than the drawbars being added, which allow modifying the C2's organ and synth sounds. Also a higher speed USB controller which includes audio over USB. Seems like it ought not to cost much more than the Compact 2.

The drawbars sending MIDI CC is important. If the sound selection buttons also can be remapped in MainStage to select patches, I'm probably sold if the price is right.

FYI, it looks like they also make a gig bag for it now: http://www.studiologic-music.com/products/softcase/

#2903974 - 01/22/18 11:38 AM Re: Winter NAMM 2018 Warmup (NAMMticipation) [Re: tfort]
To B3 Offline
Gold Member

If the organ section REALLY borrows a considerable lot from the Numa Organ 2 (as well as the synth from the sledge), coupled with the already-existing not too-shaby sounds and other controller functionalities, a 700-900 price tag would be very fair, IMHO, making it a strong competitor in theory in the VR-09/ VR-730 field.

#2904032 - 01/22/18 01:50 PM Re: Winter NAMM 2018 Warmup (NAMMticipation) [Re: ElmerJFudd]
MurMan Offline
Gold Member

Loc: San Diego
Originally Posted By: ElmerJFudd
"9V DC ...

I'm confused. Isn't loss of the guitar pedalboard still considered a *good thing* around here? confused

#2904213 - 01/23/18 10:31 AM Re: Winter NAMM 2018 Warmup (NAMMticipation) [Re: MurMan]
Nadroj Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
Any word from Crumar this year? Think we'll see the product they planned to unveil last year?

#2905412 - 01/28/18 04:40 PM Re: Winter NAMM 2018 Warmup (NAMMticipation) [Re: Al Coda]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
James, your suggestion of keyboard stand for digital pianos and deep synthesizers (like the Minimoog Voyager) was immensely helpful, as I did not previously have an awareness of the K&M 18950 stand.

http://www.frontendaudio.com/K-M-18950-Tabletop-Keyboard-Stand-p/9999-15154.htm

I just ordered it at 15% NAMM special today, from Front End Audio. I compared it to the 18953 model, but that one isn't as deep and has a fixed width, so this one seems the sturdiest, most supportive, and most flexible of all tabletop stands I have looked at over the years.

I didn't notice any new stands from any vendors in the NAMM news section (or at Reverb and other sites giving in-depth coverage of NAMM).

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner