Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2904152 - 01/23/18 07:27 AM Classical Guitar
DocPate Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Virginia
Anyone else enjoy listening to classical or Flamenco guitar? I tried playing a little classical guitar back in my younger days but didn't come close to being even "good".

Of course I admire Chet Atkins with his playing

https://youtu.be/gIF-rXVVN5U

https://youtu.be/iNbB6FSwuBA

Edited by DocPate (01/23/18 07:34 AM)

GP Island
#2904163 - 01/23/18 08:03 AM Re: Classical Guitar [Re: DocPate]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Loc: Northern California
Chet is a guitar legend and I've always enjoyed his classical playing along with all of the other genres he tackles. Andres Segovia is also a legend specializing in classical guitar and well worth the time to listen and watch him play. I love watching and listening to these masters even though I will never make the attempt at being a classical player:

cool

Edited by Larryz (01/23/18 08:37 AM)

#2904193 - 01/23/18 09:18 AM Re: Classical Guitar [Re: Larryz]
DocPate Offline
Gold Member

+1 Larry. For any of you who enjoy Flamenco

https://youtu.be/V86zYV3QXnk

#2904218 - 01/23/18 10:44 AM Re: Classical Guitar [Re: DocPate]
Fred_C Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: PA
I am not interested in playing the "classical repertoire, I love Flamenco.

When I was fourteen in 1964 my first guitar teacher taught me the basics of flamenco technique (rasquedo, tremolo, golpe et. al.). He then took me through a book (I even remember the name of the book. It was called Flamenco Without Tears. I thoroughly enjoyed learning to play the music.

Many decades later, I had a guitar student who expressed an interest in learning some Flamenco. I went searching and found a book called, You can Teach Yourself Flamenco Guitar. It was a very good book and we both enjoyed working through it.
Excellent instruction and very nice musical pieces to accompany the technique.

#2904271 - 01/23/18 01:42 PM Re: Classical Guitar [Re: Fred_C]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Phoenix Az
Carlos Montoya was my first view of flamenco guitar. When I started playing in 1966 or so, I saw him on the tube. I was completely and totally awed by Montoya. Of course I also watched Segovia in those days also on the TV. Both were simply awesome.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEq5ZINEN9I

www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-DsyYTzb98
Harvey Cedars is my stage name on Soundclick

#2904288 - 01/23/18 02:52 PM Re: Classical Guitar [Re: desertbluesman]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
I've posted clips from this guy before...

But this classical virtuoso is a favored of mine..

Whitefang

#2904290 - 01/23/18 03:00 PM Re: Classical Guitar [Re: whitefang]
DocPate Offline
Gold Member

I'm in awe of you folks who can play Classical or Flamenco. I gave both a try years ago.

#2904308 - 01/23/18 04:42 PM Re: Classical Guitar [Re: DocPate]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
For me it all depends on the music/perf rather then any genre.
Here's one I like for both of those reasons.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXmCWXo9bpc

As a budding muso I listened to Segovia but later dropped him when I learned what a dolt he was attitudinally.
[BTW & FWIWpinions expressed herein do not reflect those of GPlayer, MPlayer, NewBayMedia or Google.com &/or yer etc Python ]

Although some will think it a joke, I like this one too, even though it seems based on "Jesus is alright" & presages one of Dickey Betts's lesser compositions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEzyrpfrPEI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHkU7OUHOXQ

A short diversion on that topic
Then we have...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gkLzLxVtoM

The evidence of the roots of "Classical G"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVe7kknLFNE

& Dickey Betts off on a tangent rolleyes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b48FoMwzCgc

...back on, uh, track, I still have a soft spot for these cats (love that showbiz!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Onz_iGTLpeI

DBMan's already offered up Montoya so I'll not mention him (oops, too late rolleyes ) but here're a couple others to consider....

Sometimes it's hard to know where one thing turns into another..innit ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhGjQ3QPydA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGgl1dWoLLA

& something both more ancient & modern
2 tunes: 2nd starts @ 4:43 & features some great close ups
(catch what he does w/ his 4th finger 10:08~10:15 ! freak )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeD1ci0AnbY

#2904341 - 01/23/18 10:01 PM Re: Classical Guitar [Re: d]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
I bought a nice Kremona classical a couple of years ago, around $950 or so, and liked it better than the more expensive model as that one sounded more like a high-end folk guitar.

Back in the 80's, I had a cheap Yamaha starter nylon guitar that couldn't stay in tune, took lessons for a few years, and decided it would take me at least five years to be able to stand to hear myself practice, so gave it up.

Glad I got back to it, but my dedication to it a couple of years back, evaporated when my job took over my life for the next two years. Balance is returning to my life now though, so I hope to get back to it. Now that I have a nice one and know more about proper string choices, I enjoy the way it feels to play it.

My Cordoba Gypsy Kings flamenca guitar warped a few years back and couldn't be fixed. Total loss. Every time I pick out a replacement, it "goes away". So I've given up on all the smaller manufacturers and artisan makers and decided to go for the Cordoba Solista model, but it's been out of stock everywhere for the three years I've been looking for one, except for one B-stock that I hesitated on (fear of a bad neck) and then found it sold when I called back.

I'm not terribly interested in playing true flamenco, even though I briefly studied it, but like the sound of that guitar a lot for cutting through, such as in Brasilian music, where it is the dominant type of guitar used (they aren't necessarily attached specifically to negra or blanca models).

#2904399 - 01/24/18 07:42 AM Re: Classical Guitar [Re: Mark Schmieder]
CEB Offline
10k Club

I studied classical guitar under Dr. Elizabeth Wehrman for 5 years. It gave me core skills that crossed over into my Banjo play, electric guitar hybrid picking and pedal steel. Really sorry .... and worried to hear about the Cordoba Gypsy King model because that is one of my stage guitars. I play some nylon string stuff in my Country gig. At the heart of my guitar playing I'm basically just a disciple of the late great Jerry Reed.

I dabble in Flamenco. Its some of my favorite music. Paco De Lucia is one of my favorite players of all time. His picado was ridiculous.

Edited by CEB (01/24/18 07:44 AM)

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!
So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

#2904405 - 01/24/18 08:05 AM Re: Classical Guitar [Re: CEB]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

It is funny how Jerry Reed and Chet Atkins ended up playing a ton of stuff on nylon string guitars. Not so much in the classical genre but in their country vibe. I had my nylon acoustic out of the case a few nights ago and woke up to this thread LOL! I really enjoyed playing it again. My old Ventures band buddies from '65 are getting together again this weekend. We got together just before Christmas and one of the songs they wanted me to play was Tequila! So I thought I might put my little Latin vibe on it and break out the Nylon! cool

Edited by Larryz (01/24/18 08:06 AM)

#2904660 - 01/25/18 10:16 AM Re: Classical Guitar [Re: Larryz]
DocPate Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: Larryz
So I thought I might put my little Latin vibe on it and break out the Nylon! cool

Good luck

#2904664 - 01/25/18 10:46 AM Re: Classical Guitar [Re: DocPate]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

thu

#2904699 - 01/25/18 12:20 PM Re: Classical Guitar [Re: Larryz]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
Oh, I should clarify that I had the first rev of the Gypsy Kings model, from the mid-to-late 90's (no earlier than 1993)?

I think the reissued version may have a truss rod.

The Solista is similar, with probably roughly the same neck, but doesn't try to be an electro-acoustic (I don't need that) and also skips the cutaway (I try to avoid those as well) and a less shallow body. It's about the same price. I think it has a truss rod.

#2904804 - 01/26/18 02:12 AM Re: Classical Guitar [Re: Mark Schmieder]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Japan
I have a sweet little nylon string guitar I bought in Cebu, it has been dormant in the U.S. and based on the lack of temp controls in Japan, I just can`t see how bringing it here is a good idea. There are times I would love to have it, both live and in the studio. Anyway...personally I have no use for any guitar that claims to be a `nylon string for people who don`t play nylon string`. No thanks-I`ll take the proper runway-wide neck any day.

Skipsounds on Soundclick:
www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

#2904852 - 01/26/18 07:03 AM Re: Classical Guitar [Re: DocPate]
Fred_C Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: PA
Originally Posted By: DocPate
I'm in awe of you folks who can play Classical or Flamenco. I gave both a try years ago.

@Doc:

If you wanted to give it another try, I can wholeheartedly recommend "You Can Teach Yourself Flamenco Guitar". It's a very good book. Easy to understand and comes with a CD that illustrates every concept. In addition, the musical selections are very nice. The book is fun to work through.

#2904858 - 01/26/18 07:24 AM Re: Classical Guitar [Re: skipclone 1]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: skipclone 1
Anyway...personally I have no use for any guitar that claims to be a `nylon string for people who don`t play nylon string`. No thanks-I`ll take the proper runway-wide neck any day.

I'm just the opposite Skip. The wide classical neck is what kept me away from playing nylon string. I loved the sound but, the width of the neck cramped by style. Taylor came out with a nylon string, with a narrow neck (not as narrow as an acoustic but much narrower than a classical) for guys like me who love the sound but can't handle having to deal with the wide classical neck. I bought two of them in different woods, and love both of them...I do understand your point of view though. cool

#2904860 - 01/26/18 07:35 AM Re: Classical Guitar [Re: Fred_C]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I'm sure that's a good selection (a couple posts back) for practical technique suggestions.
Fred knows his stuff.
I suggest something a bit different: a 3-pronged approach to any musical method's study.

Start with the particular musical examples that catch yer ear.
All genres have various types of music within them.
Some will be more emotive, some more technical (& of course there's some overlap, as technique is part of what creates the affect of a perf along w/the music itself).
So I'd 1st focus on the elements of the music that appeal to you & consider what elements are fundamental.
Like other musics, "classical" music's not really a single stylistic area.

Next study the history of that music to know which players particularly work(ed) the style(s) you enjoy.
That'll home you in on who yer most likely to enjoy & be inspired by---always an important element in motivating you to continue.
It'll also give you a grounding in what developed from what & when/how so.

As important as a wide understanding (& incorporation) of the musical techniques themselves are, I'd place that after inspiration & overall knowledge.

Of course, you can mix those things up a bit.
One needn't try to master one thing before moving on to another but I think it helps to consider the aspects that go into an art to get an idea of how to find yer way into it.

#2904873 - 01/26/18 08:02 AM Re: Classical Guitar [Re: Fred_C]
DocPate Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: Fred_C
Originally Posted By: DocPate

@Doc:

If you wanted to give it another try, I can wholeheartedly recommend "You Can Teach Yourself Flamenco Guitar". It's a very good book. Easy to understand and comes with a CD that illustrates every concept. In addition, the musical selections are very nice. The book is fun to work through.

@Fred. Thanks but at my age and finger condition, I will just let hte younger guys learn. But thanks for the recommendation. I will pass it along to my son-in-law who is trying to learn a little classical and flamenco.

#2905046 - 01/27/18 12:36 AM Re: Classical Guitar [Re: Larryz]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Larryz
Originally Posted By: skipclone 1
Anyway...personally I have no use for any guitar that claims to be a `nylon string for people who don`t play nylon string`. No thanks-I`ll take the proper runway-wide neck any day.

I'm just the opposite Skip. The wide classical neck is what kept me away from playing nylon string. I loved the sound but, the width of the neck cramped by style. Taylor came out with a nylon string, with a narrow neck (not as narrow as an acoustic but much narrower than a classical) for guys like me who love the sound but can't handle having to deal with the wide classical neck. I bought two of them in different woods, and love both of them...I do understand your point of view though. cool

I understand yours as well. Anyway that`s an interesting choice of words( smile ) -I suppose playing a standard nylon string neck can be intimidating, because it`s so different. If anything, I have found that after playing nylon for a while it`s electric especially that feels cramped, like you could fit all six stings under a fingerprint.
I do have long fingers, so it`s not as uncomfortable for me. I also think-while conceding that it`s less an factor than for steel strings-that I like the tonal separation. With nylon every note rings true. There is almost zero bleedover from adjacent strings-and less sustain of course.

Edited by skipclone 1 (01/27/18 12:38 AM)

#2905105 - 01/27/18 08:47 AM Re: Classical Guitar [Re: skipclone 1]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

I know what you mean about feeling cramped Skip, I feel it when going from a Strat to a wider neck on the Taylor or on a Gibson. I'm used to both now. My Nylons are just a touch wider...I use a thumb over technique to add a few bass lines and to rest my wrist from playing barre chords. The wider classical necks are not a good choice for thumb over chords (for me anyway).

The other little problem I have playing nylon guitars is, I love the Latin vibe that I get into. I love it so much that when I'm back on the electric and steel string acoustic, I can't get it out of my mind for awhile LOL! cool

#2905107 - 01/27/18 09:01 AM Re: Classical Guitar [Re: Larryz]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

That's a prob ?
Sounds like a good gambit for stage patter, to me.
"Y know, I get so into this Latin/Flamenco/Brazilian thing that I can't stop it..."
[meanwhile yer hands, taking on a life of their own, are laying out "Malaguena" or "Girl from Ipanema" while you stare at them....

#2905116 - 01/27/18 09:25 AM Re: Classical Guitar [Re: d]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

thu

#2905745 - 01/30/18 03:30 AM Re: Classical Guitar [Re: Larryz]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I`m an utter fool for Brazilian samba guitar.
I would love to have that little nylon string guitar here and try my Christmas song on it.
But overall, I am missing electric guitar. Once my situation gets more leveled out I really want to jump in on some electric jams in town. I still use it for recording but, I`m feeling like Mr. Coffeehouse for live stuff.

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose