Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hammond SKX....new hammond board

If it's using Vase III that means all the previous tone wheel sets will probably work on it, such as Jim's. The organ sound is there, Jim has proven this. The Leslie sim could use some improvement, but like I said, I think they nerf it on purpose so people will buy a pedal or the 3300. I play an XK-2 and the organ sounds good, but I added the Vent2 pedal. I've played an SK1 and XK5. The Leslie sim is a little better, but my band leader went out and bought the 3300, which is exactly what Hammond wants people to do.

For the horn band, it's my XK-2, Vent2, and Korg 01/WFD.

For the 3DN tribute, it's the band leaders XK-5, Leslie 3300, and Korg Kronos88.

Korg 01W/FD, Hammond XK-2, Neo Ventilator2, JBL Eon, Rhodes 88

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Leslie sim could use some improvement, but like I said, I think they nerf it on purpose so people will buy a pedal or the 3300.

Do you really think they would risk selling many fewer instruments in the hope of selling a few more Leslies? People who want a Leslie are going to buy a Leslie, people who don't won't. If one can't have a Leslie due to whatever reason (cost, logistics, spousal disapproval etc.) then it may be necessary to make a decision about which instrument to buy and having every feature be as good as possible is in the manufacturer's best interest. Besides, there is no reason why the digital Leslie and real Leslie can't be used together to have 2 Leslies.

There is a lot of discussion about the SKx on the FB Clonewheel group...... Very mixed opinions.

Yeah like their opinions mean anything. People just want H/S to fail. Same old shit every time something is new released while the other manufacturers get a pass.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

You're right. The opinions of the target users for the product are pretty meaningless. And I'm sure those same people are unable to read a spec sheet and make reasonable assumptions based on already existing and widely used software. They're all just, "Durr...I hate Hammond!!"

Endorsing Artist/Ambassador for MAG Organs and Motion Sound Amplifiers, Organ player for SRT - www.srtgroove.com

Not necessarily everyone Mitch but every time something is released from Hammond these threads go right into the toilet and it NEVER happens with any other clones. I mean the f--kin thing isn't even on the market yet? If you say anything about Viscount, Mojo, or Nord it's like some kind of sacrilege or something. It's kind of not fair. And I know it's not just me as I have gotten plenty of PM's over the years here from people that agree that are pro players like yourself. Yet Hammond is still in more pro rigs than any other brand so they can't be all bad?

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

And to think that we wouldn't even be having this argument 25-30 years ago, during the time when there were effectively NO choices for Hammond Organ type keyboards other than the used market. :-)

We should all rejoice that the instrument made such a comeback that there are now many choices, and that the end of the B3 is not in sight.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I mean the f--kin thing isn't even on the market yet? If you say anything about Viscount, Mojo, or Nord it's like some kind of sacrilege or something. It's kind of not fair.

You make this comment every time. Do you even read the other clone threads? For instance, have you seen how Viscount is getting murdered over their 1.3 software update?

Moe

---

I love ya, Jason, but I do think you have a cognitive bias about this. I think all clones get loved and slammed around here. I try to be objective about this, I'm not sure if I really am, but I don't have the sense any one brand is universally loved nor hated on KC.

IIRC, the only thing that was pretty universally slammed with regards to Hammond was some of their marketing.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

VASE III... H/Suzuki continues to dumb down their products so that they dont compete against themselves...

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

I will never forget the amount of hell I caught on this forum for questioning the SK1 quality when it came out.

It was supposed to make the Nord Electro "obsolete" ...remember?

Remember the tattooed girl representing the HS products?

Regardless , I wish Hammond Suzuki well with these new offerings. Meanwhile, the competition is pretty stiff from Crumar ,Viscount , HX3, Nord. There is some very good leslie simulation out there that doesn't have a " Hammond" logo on it.

These products are popular because they sound good. And in retrospect the SK1 wasn't even close to being an Electro killer.

And not for nuthin', but despite all the ragging it gets - the VR-09 outsells them all and if you include the 730 in with that (since it's the same axe with a different action) it will probably continue to. What does that imply? Who knows - nothing or lots of things.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I know this is too small of a sample to really form any opinions about the EV sounds, but personally that demo didnt make me think the EP sounds were dramatically different from what I heard when I had my SK2. It is funny that there are not more teasers with the EV sounds featured as it is being marketed as a stage keyboard.
Nord Stage 3 Compact, Korg Kronos 61, Casio PX-5S, Yamaha DXR 10 (2)), Neo Vent, Yamaha MG82cx mixer and too many stands to name.

[video:youtube]
I wish they used a more stable stand for this one. :sick:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I know this is too small of a sample to really form any opinions about the EV sounds, but personally that demo didnt make me think the EP sounds were dramatically different from what I heard when I had my SK2. It is funny that there are not more teasers with the EV sounds featured as it is being marketed as a stage keyboard.

It's still unclear as to what (if anything) is new about the extra voices themselves. I think the point of that demo was simply that you could now play two of them at once.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Hmm that guy looks kinda familiar...can't quite place him, though...

Nice playing! I've noticed this video clip before on YouTube. Wasn't aware it was from someone on this forum

2019 W.Hoffmann T122 upright, Roland FP-50, Roland RD64, Korg Microkorg

There is a lot of discussion about the SKx on the FB Clonewheel group...... Very mixed opinions.

Well now they'll have the Electro 6 to argue about.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Does it carry over the Sk1 88800000 sound, and chorus and rotary sim?

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Kr@ft list the SK2 at $2895, so for $100 you get an extra set of drawbars. Nice. So of course for that money it's not going to get an XK-5 trickle down makeover. Colour me interested.

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

A closer look at the panel and the selection buttons for vibrato/chorus 1-3 have gone, as has the master EQ, presumably relegated to sub-menus, which is fine by me - I don't care for the Chorus 3 setting and always set it to Chorus 2, and the EQ I set at the beginning of a gig.

There's still only one knob for the multi-fx for the 2 EVs, so there'll be tremolo on the piano in a wurli/piano split unless, fingers crossed, they can be routed differently in a sub-menu.

One of the vids promotes new EV sounds 'bells and pads'. Fingers crossed there's a new piano sample in the works.

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

Kr@ft list the SK2 at $2895, so for $100 you get an extra set of drawbars. Nice. So of course for that money it's not going to get an XK-5 trickle down makeover. Colour me interested.

Heh, I just added it to my cart on their site - just the Sk2, no package deal, for $2995.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

So the extra set of drawbars are free? Or someone screwed up uploading info?

Says $2895 here:

https://www.kraftmusic.com/hammond-sk2-dual-manual-portable-organ.html

Oh, wait, you can choose the 'performer pack' SK2 with a case for, yes $2895:

https://www.kraftmusic.com/hammond-sk2-dual-manual-portable-organ-performer-pak.html

The Hammond USA website now lists the SKX:

http://hammondorganco.com/products/portable-organs/skx/

Although Hammond bills it as their 'smallest, lightest dual manual blah blah blah' it is 2.5 lbs heavier than the SK2. Really hope they left the handle in the back panel.