Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2903774 - 01/21/18 02:04 PM Add an analogue or VA synth to my setup.
aellison62 Offline

Loc: Ohio
Ok, so with Korg realeasing the Prologue, and me looking seriously at the Studiologic Sledge..because of the knob interface and sound overall..and owning the Korg M3 (with Radius card, and sweet key bed, btw, but some menu diving...)

I am torn, Sledge or Prologue?

For real time live performance.

I am looking for a knobby analog or great VA synth.

I want to travel to Sweetwater and try both but I would guess the Prologue wonít be there in April to compare??

Still gonna go to Sweetwater, beginning of April and check out analogues as well as the Mojo 61.

I remember, when I lived in :Maryland, my ďproĒ music stores were Veneman Music, and Chuck Levinís (around DC area) and Billís Music House in Catonsville.

KC Island
#2903776 - 01/21/18 02:12 PM Re: Add an analogue or VA synth to my setup. [Re: aellison62]
ElmerJFudd Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: USA, greater NY area
The price difference is considerable.
Are you a live performer, producer/studio person, our hobbyist that dabbles in the lot? Musical style(s)? Do you rely on presets? Or prefer to design your own?
Copying sounds of classics or looking to make new sounds?

#2903789 - 01/21/18 03:13 PM Re: Add an analogue or VA synth to my setup. [Re: ElmerJFudd]
aellison62 Offline

More of a hobbyist, that performs a few times a year. Besides the regular Sunday worship group.

I love analogue synthesis and havenít had that CONTROL since I owned an ARP Oddessy. ? All the keyboards Iíve owned have had some menu diving.

Kurz has this capability but still has has serious menu diving.

Iíd like a keyboard that has real time control and with analogue sound. I hear the Prologue has minimal modulation matrix. But it is total Analog. .....Gotta playbthis thing,!

But what about Sledge.?

#2903794 - 01/21/18 03:45 PM Re: Add an analogue or VA synth to my setup. [Re: aellison62]
ElmerJFudd Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: USA, greater NY area
Realistically speaking, what's your budget?

#2903796 - 01/21/18 03:48 PM Re: Add an analogue or VA synth to my setup. [Re: aellison62]
CEB Offline
10k Club

If you want to play live and you use the Forte or another device to call external patches. Then get the Prophet Rev2. Else maybe check out the Korg if you need quick access bank and patch buttons.

If you don't play live and you have time to dial a patch once selecting the bank get the Prophet Rev2.

I like the Sledge's layout. Its killer. I like that the Sledge has the PPG wavetables.... But I have never heard a GOOD Sledge demo. I would rather have a Nord Lead A1 than the Sledge. The Nord is a good option if you don't have to have 61 keys. It has killer effects and the oscillators are clean. No aliasing ..... well my hearing is pretty much shot so take that with a grain of salt.

If interested in Nord contact Dave Weiser.

Random Rev2 reviews. Nik does good unbiased reviews IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDL20eMJWlk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4r8Zwy40a4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PlaxbAVajw&t=1028s

Edited by CEB (01/21/18 03:56 PM)

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!
So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

#2903797 - 01/21/18 03:56 PM Re: Add an analogue or VA synth to my setup. [Re: aellison62]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: aellison62
Iíd like a keyboard that has real time control and with analogue sound. I hear the Prologue has minimal modulation matrix. But it is total Analog. .....Gotta playbthis thing,!

But what about Sledge.?

I haven't played one, but the Sledge uses the Waldorf engine which, by reputation, is not the most truly analog sounding, so I'd expect the Korg to beat it there. OTOH, Geoff Downes does all the classic Yes Minimoog stuff on a Sledge, he seems okay with it and nobody seems to complain. It actually has a more Minimoog-ish basic design (i.e. 3 VA oscillators through a 4-pole filter). It's half the price, it has aftertouch, it can load samples, it's available today... but the Korg is real-analog cool, and will simply sound different, each is going to be able to do things the other can't do at all.

Of course, for the price difference, you could add an analog Roland SE-02 or Behringer D to the Sledge and have money to spare... your true analog would be only monophonic, but one might argue that mono lines are where analog most makes its presence known anyway.

#2903798 - 01/21/18 04:04 PM Re: Add an analogue or VA synth to my setup. [Re: AnotherScott]
hardware Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Las Vegas
2nd the SE-02.
I use a pair live. Power chords since 6 Oscs equals 6 Strings, Fat ass bass and lead.
Killing time in a Dance band for a while.
Lots of horn sections, Synths, etc.

SE-02 is so fat I HAVE to use a Sub with Spacestation.
Otherwise it destroys my Sampled Instruments.

#2903802 - 01/21/18 04:24 PM Re: Add an analogue or VA synth to my setup. [Re: hardware]
bennyray Offline
Gold Member

Loc: USA
I am looking for an analog synth also . I am leaning to the Prophet Rev 2 16 voice. I just think the Prophet is the best for the money as far as the features and sound.

I listened to the Prologue and the Prophet Rev 2 16 voice. To my ears the Prophet wins hands down. Yea we know everyone is different.

Edited by bennyray (01/21/18 04:28 PM)

#2903804 - 01/21/18 04:39 PM Re: Add an analogue or VA synth to my setup. [Re: bennyray]
aellison62 Offline

Yes, prophet rev 2 is also there....but not much love for it on this forum at least.?

Then there is the Novation Ultranova....?

I gotta get a list together to demo these (if available) at Sweetwater.?!. Itís the closest place that has the possibility of having these type of synths all together to demo at same time.

Yes $ wise I am looking for $1500 tops.

Edited by aellison62 (01/21/18 04:40 PM)

#2903805 - 01/21/18 04:59 PM Re: Add an analogue or VA synth to my setup. [Re: AnotherScott]
aellison62 Offline

Ya know, itís been so long since Iíve heard true analog. My last brush was with a Roland JX8p and that had DCOs, but still fat sounding. I think I need to play some of these choices. I am thinking one of them will stand out above the others.

Of course, for the price difference, you could add an analog Roland SE-02 or Behringer D to the Sledge and have money to spare... your true analog would be only monophonic, but one might argue that mono lines are where analog most makes its presence known anyway. [/quote

#2903858 - 01/22/18 12:24 AM Re: Add an analogue or VA synth to my setup. [Re: aellison62]
ProfD Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Wash DC Area
The Studiologic Sledge is fun to program and play. The addition of sample import is a great feature too.

I would have bought a Sledge had I not copped a Roland System 8 (S8) to satisfy my analog synth needs.

The S8 is a VA but it has a phat sound. thu cool

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

#2903878 - 01/22/18 06:26 AM Re: Add an analogue or VA synth to my setup. [Re: aellison62]
Synthoid Offline
10k Club

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the DeepMind 12.

#2903888 - 01/22/18 06:56 AM Re: Add an analogue or VA synth to my setup. [Re: Synthoid]
aellison62 Offline

Yes, will put the Deep Mind 12 on the list to audition, thanks for reminding me. Probably should also add the Roland system 8. And Nord lead A1. ...Wow, the list is getting long...that's a good thing, 10 years ago it was not the case.

Ultimately though, for me, it is the sound of course, but also the knobby interface. And polyphonic.

#2903903 - 01/22/18 07:34 AM Re: Add an analogue or VA synth to my setup. [Re: aellison62]
Synthoid Offline
10k Club

Ultimately though, for me, it is the sound of course, but also the knobby interface. And polyphonic.

That's why I bought a Korg Radias several years ago. I've been tempted by the new analog synths but just haven't needed to make that leap yet. The Radias covers a lot of bases and it does it well.

#2903910 - 01/22/18 07:53 AM Re: Add an analogue or VA synth to my setup. [Re: Synthoid]
RudyS Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Groningen, The netherlands
It really depends on your needs. VA is more flexibility, RA is (probably) more character.

I added an analog to my set one year ago. Then I just wanted an occasional lead or bass played. (mostly) because of form factor in my rig I came to the DSI Mopho. It fulfilled that role quite nicely. But I started to use more and more "analog" sounds. So I needed to add a poly synth to that.

To get the amount of flexibility I needed, I came to a VA (Nord A1). With all the waveforms it's so flexible. I can do FM type of sounds, D50 type, Moog types etc. And it has good build in effects, so I don't have to worry about that (don't underestimate the consequences of not having on board effects I noticed!). Of course it doesn't sound the same as a real analog poly synth and for some type of leads I prefer to use the mopho because of it's character, but I really like the flexibility.

Stuff: Nord Electro 3, Casio PX5s, DSI Mopho keys, Nord Lead A1, Korg N5, Korg Poly 61, QSC K10 and a Shure SM58.

#2903914 - 01/22/18 08:03 AM Re: Add an analogue or VA synth to my setup. [Re: RudyS]
burningbusch Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Ghost Planet
I played the Sledge at NAMM and was surprised by the build quality. It's a plastic case, but more than that the knobs and switches had a high degree of wobble. Considering something like the $299 Monologue is rock solid, that was disappointing.

It's amazing you can get RAs now for the price of VAs.

Busch.

#2903918 - 01/22/18 08:20 AM Re: Add an analogue or VA synth to my setup. [Re: aellison62]
synthizen2 Offline
Gold Member

Loc: USA
I love analogue synthesis and havenít had that CONTROL since I owned an ARP Oddessy. ? All the keyboards Iíve owned have had some menu diving.

Kurz has this capability but still has has serious menu diving.

Well, yes.

I would say that ANY synth whose editing capabilities are limited to ONLY the knobs that you can fit onto the front panel... is going to be pretty limited in what you can do with it. Yes, all the parameters have their own dedicated knob (and that's nice)... but that's all you get.

Full-blown digital workstations with thousands of parameters is just going to require some menu-diving, can't get around that... even if SOME controls are there on the front panel (largely for performance purposes).

#2903951 - 01/22/18 10:48 AM Re: Add an analogue or VA synth to my setup. [Re: synthizen2]
Bill H. Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Columbia River Gorge, US
Just based on the demos the sound of the Prologue is so sexy creamy smooth - but that can actually work against you live.

In spite of it's retro analog interface, the sound of the Sledge has VA stamped all over it. The top end has a definite digital bite, but that can actually be a positive in a band context.

The Roland System 8 has such a crappy keybed that in spite of sounding great, it's out of the running for me.

There are people at GS who are still claiming that you can pick up a Deepmind 12 for $799 at GC if you purchase it in store. It's not advertised. That's an insane deal, but the DM12 has it's limitations for live use (unconventional OSC2, no program select buttons, no splits or layers). That said, there are at least a couple of people in the forum who are using it that way.

Just a few random thoughts on a Monday Morning wink Personally I'm very excited about the Prologue, and can't wait to get my hands on one.

#2903972 - 01/22/18 11:33 AM Re: Add an analogue or VA synth to my setup. [Re: Bill H.]
Synthoid Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Bill H.
There are people at GS who are still claiming that you can pick up a Deepmind 12 for $799 at GC if you purchase it in store. It's not advertised. That's an insane deal

They don't stock the DM12 at our GC... no insane deals here.

#2903996 - 01/22/18 12:23 PM Re: Add an analogue or VA synth to my setup. [Re: Synthoid]
Adan Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Francisco
Just got a DM12 for $699 at GC. I agree it's not ideal for live use, but it's a lot of analog synth for $700. Far more programmable than the Prologue.

roccoromanucci.com

#2903999 - 01/22/18 12:27 PM Re: Add an analogue or VA synth to my setup. [Re: Adan]
Bill H. Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Just out of curiosity Adan how did that go down? Did you haggle, or was that the price when you walked in?

*there's a GC 65 miles away that has them in stock.

Edited by Bill H. (01/22/18 12:34 PM)

#2904027 - 01/22/18 01:43 PM Re: Add an analogue or VA synth to my setup. [Re: Adan]
Synthoid Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Adan
Just got a DM12 for $699 at GC.

Pretty sure that was a mistake. They gave you the DM12 for the price of the DM6.

#2904028 - 01/22/18 01:48 PM Re: Add an analogue or VA synth to my setup. [Re: Synthoid]
Adan Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

It may have been a mistake, I can't be sure. I actually went in to maybe buy a DM6, the salesguy said "we're blowing out the 12's" and showed me the $699 price on his screen. I'm no expert on what GC screens should look like but it seemed legit to me. Regardless, my wallet was out in a flash.

roccoromanucci.com

#2904035 - 01/22/18 01:53 PM Re: Add an analogue or VA synth to my setup. [Re: Adan]
Bill H. Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Ok that does it I gotta check this out! It's a no brainer at that price.

#2904059 - 01/22/18 04:25 PM Re: Add an analogue or VA synth to my setup. [Re: aellison62]
Moonglow Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Northwest Indiana
Yes, prophet rev 2 is also there....but not much love for it on this forum at least.?

At NAMM last year, I played a Rev. 2 and liked it. I then played the Prophet-6 sitting next to it and never considered the Rev. 2 again....love was gone as quickly as it came. The Prophet-5 was my first poly analog and has always been my favorite, so admittedly I'm biased. If only the P6 had 61 keys or the desktop version was rack-mountable. deadhorse

#2904062 - 01/22/18 04:32 PM Re: Add an analogue or VA synth to my setup. [Re: Moonglow]
Delaware Dave Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Take a guess ....
So you're looking for one of these:

clonk

#2904066 - 01/22/18 05:00 PM Re: Add an analogue or VA synth to my setup. [Re: Delaware Dave]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Delaware Dave
So you're looking for one of these:

clonk

It would be very cool to see a VA1 app that provided a touchscreen version of that front panel to operate the VA1 engine that I think is inside almost every Kurz (Artis, Forte, SP4/5/6, whatever).

#2904067 - 01/22/18 05:10 PM Re: Add an analogue or VA synth to my setup. [Re: AnotherScott]
cphollis Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Massachussets, Florida
Got my DeepMind-12 for $699 by calling around.

No, it's not a decent live board, but -- heck! -- so much knobby synthage I just couldn't resist. More of a fun toy than a performing board, but it works.

Keys: NP2, NS3C, NE4D, DeepMind-12
Home: Bosie 200, Yam AG N3
Amps: FA 12acs, RCF TT08as, QSC Ks, SSv3
Stuff: Stay stands, Key Largo, Vent II, X-Air 16

#2904068 - 01/22/18 05:17 PM Re: Add an analogue or VA synth to my setup. [Re: cphollis]
timwat Offline
Quite wealthy...spiritually
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Concord,CA,UNITED STATES
For live performance, I can wholeheartedly commend the Nord Lead variants.

Yeah, I know I'm part of the crew that default answers "Nord Lead" as a long-timer's joke, but in all seriousness I've gigged a Nord Wave for several years and love it to shreds.

It's very flexible, it cuts through the mix without fail, it sounds completely different than my Kronos (so no feeling like it's redundant), construction is incredibly solid and pro, it's light, it's been bulletproof, and it has librarian software. And the Wave takes advantage of Nord's sample library, as well as "roll your own" samples.

Personally I feel Nord's iconic performance controls are awesome, and I can shred on it like nobody's business.

Personally, I wasn't able to warm up to the Deep Mind when I demo'd it, nor the Sledge. My other current synth is an OB6, which is a whole other beast and cannot make a bad sound...but I use it for recording only and personally feel the Wave is better for the kind of constant gigging I do. Can never see myself parting with the OB6, but I'll continue to gig the Kronos and Wave.

#2904070 - 01/22/18 05:38 PM Re: Add an analogue or VA synth to my setup. [Re: timwat]
Adan Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

The "warmth" of the Deepmind was what drew me immediately in and separates it from any VA. I can waste hours on it and it feels like time well spent. But it's not a keyboard you toss into a gig bag and say "whatever, I'll figure it out on the gig." That's always been Nord's strongpoint. Nord lead v. Prologue seems to be a bit more apples to apples. Pros and cons for sure. Call me an analog bandwagoneer, but if I was going to throw another $1500-$2000 at a synth right now I'd go Prologue.

roccoromanucci.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner