Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2903610 - 01/20/18 04:17 PM CRUD!!!! My pedal died!
picker Offline
10k Club

Loc: Near 12th Street and Vine...
I tried to use my E/H Soul Food pedal last night, and it was dead as a doornail. IT worked the last time I used it, but now the light doesn't come on and it doesn't pass signal in what I assume is the on position.
Anybody else every have this problem with an E/H pedal?

GP Island
#2903653 - 01/20/18 10:02 PM Re: CRUD!!!! My pedal died! [Re: picker]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Have you changed batteries or tried a different wall wart?

#2903697 - 01/21/18 07:31 AM Re: CRUD!!!! My pedal died! [Re: picker]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
Originally Posted By: picker
I tried to use my E/H Soul Food pedal last night, and it was dead as a doornail. IT worked the last time I used it, but now the light doesn't come on and it doesn't pass signal in what I assume is the on position.
Anybody else every have this problem with an E/H pedal?

EHX pedals have been the most problematic, of anything I've used since I started playing: QC is often sketchy, and that's been the case since way back in the 70's. FWIW, I found an entire thread on another gear site, devoted to this, just by searching on "EHX Soul Food Fail".

EHX pedals do tend to be very particular about what power supply you use with them, and I see that the Soul Food ships with its own PS, so make sure you're using it. If it's under warranty, don't waste time, send it back, or return it to the store where you bought it.

For about $175-199, you can find a Rockett Archer pedal, essentially another Centaur clone, but more likely to last for you. Let us know what happens.

http://www.novparolo.com

#2904178 - 01/23/18 08:42 AM Re: CRUD!!!! My pedal died! [Re: Winston Psmith]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

<Bump>

@Picker, just wanted to see if you'd gotten it working, or gone for a replacement? If it's less than one year old, you should be able to return it to where you bought it: Sweetwater offers a two year warranty, on anything you order through them.

#2904181 - 01/23/18 08:45 AM Re: CRUD!!!! My pedal died! [Re: Winston Psmith]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
Me, too.

#2904432 - 01/24/18 10:13 AM Re: CRUD!!!! My pedal died! [Re: d]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
Keep us posted, picker.

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2905420 - 01/28/18 05:06 PM Re: CRUD!!!! My pedal died! [Re: Scott Fraser]
picker Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Scott Fraser
Have you changed batteries or tried a different wall wart?
I tried a battery, still dead. I usually use a multi-pedal power supply., and I think that may be the cause of the problem. I had the tremolo side of a VHT Meloverb pedal stop working on me for no reason a little while back. A guy fixed it for me, but I still don't know for certain what caused it. I'm gonna try a One Spot and daisy chain cable instead.
I bought the Soul Food used, and I don't know how old it is.

#2905492 - 01/29/18 06:05 AM Re: CRUD!!!! My pedal died! [Re: picker]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Here's an article I found on the Soul Food. Seems there's a little switch inside, for the True Bypass. Maybe switch that, see what happens? If it's a used pedal, you're not going to hurt anything, or lose a warranty, by opening it up to check.

EHX Soul Food

Seems it's a digital pedal (?), with a fairly low current draw, about 22mA; that's a lot more than a simple Boss Overdrive, which tends to pull around 4mA, but well within the range of pretty much any power supply?

Sorry this happened, man, I KNOW how annoying it can be. EHX stuff has always been, well, sketchy, and I've never understood why.

#2905592 - 01/29/18 11:00 AM Re: CRUD!!!! My pedal died! [Re: Winston Psmith]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Originally Posted By: Winston Psmith
Here's an article I found on the Soul Food. Seems there's a little switch inside, for the True Bypass. Maybe switch that, see what happens? If it's a used pedal, you're not going to hurt anything, or lose a warranty, by opening it up to check.

EHX Soul Food

Seems it's a digital pedal (?), with a fairly low current draw, about 22mA; that's a lot more than a simple Boss Overdrive, which tends to pull around 4mA, but well within the range of pretty much any power supply?

Sorry this happened, man, I KNOW how annoying it can be. EHX stuff has always been, well, sketchy, and I've never understood why.

It's digital... ? confused

In any case, it just may turn out that switching that Bypass Mode Switch back and forth between Buffer and True could fix the problem.

I've had a pedal with internal switches and trim-pots that would occasionally 'act up'; cycling one of them back-and-forth a number of times and/or applying a very little tuner-control cleaner spray would solve the problem. I hope it's that simple for you, picker!

#2905629 - 01/29/18 12:52 PM Re: CRUD!!!! My pedal died! [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Caevan O'Shite
It's digital... ? confused

In any case, it just may turn out that switching that Bypass Mode Switch back and forth between Buffer and True could fix the problem.

I've had a pedal with internal switches and trim-pots that would occasionally 'act up'; cycling one of them back-and-forth a number of times and/or applying a very little tuner-control cleaner spray would solve the problem. I hope it's that simple for you, picker!

+1 Caevan. I don't quite get why a digital Boost/Overdrive, but WTH?

I'm not convinced checking the switch will cure the issue, but it seems worth the effort. I suspect Picker's pedal is in Buffer mode, as there's no signal passing through at all. In that case, the only difference he's likely to hear from switching modes is the Dry signal passing through when the pedal is Off. OTOH, if there's still no signal, the thing is FUBAR, the "A" in this case standing for "Affordable"; you could buy another used one for less than it would cost at most repair shops to even open the box.

One issue with the info in that article; the EHX power supplies are unregulated 9.6 volt/200mA power supplies, like the old Boss PSA-120's, not 9 volts. EHX ships a lot of their digital pedals like the Soul Food with those EHX power supplies included. Maybe it just doesn't like other power supplies?

#2905970 - 01/31/18 04:39 AM Re: CRUD!!!! My pedal died! [Re: Winston Psmith]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Yeah, it's a long shot, Winston, but it's not impossible that a little switch-flicking and cleaning might be the cure. As I said, it was and has been for one pedal that I own and love. Maybe it's the foot-switch itself, as well; maybe replacing that would be the fix.

Now, picker- how long have you had that pedal? Is it under warranty still?

#2905994 - 01/31/18 05:56 AM Re: CRUD!!!! My pedal died! [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Caevan O'Shite
Now, picker- how long have you had that pedal? Is it under warranty still?

@Caevan - Seems like it was a used pedal, so no warranty. Like I say, you can probably find another used one for less than bench fees at any repair shop. The good news is, there's little or no risk in just opening it up and looking inside, in the case; no warranty to void.

#2906803 - 02/03/18 09:36 AM Re: CRUD!!!! My pedal died! [Re: Winston Psmith]
picker Offline
10k Club

I've had it for about a year. And yes, it is used.
Well, a new development on the pedal. I went looking for the internal switch. It's on the circuit board for the on/off switch, and it let's you choose between true bypass and buffer modes. I flipped it and hooked up a battery, and the pilot light came on! It was dead before with a battery or power supply. I pulled out a One Spot and plugged that in, and in the off mode, the pilot light blinked, but when I switched it on, the light went off. I did switch the buffer/bypass back to bypass, and it did the same stuff. But, now, it's back to no response regardless of buffer/bypass setting. The battery gets hot if I leave it in, and the One Spot still makes the pilot light blink. When it's plugged into an amp, the pedal now makes a repeating "bump" noise, like "bump bump bump bump". It true bypass, it only makes it when the pedal is on. In buffer mode, it makes it whether the pedal is on or off, but the off mode is lower in volume.
Does this make sense enough to anyone to diagnose what's wrong with this sucker?

#2906870 - 02/03/18 01:36 PM Re: CRUD!!!! My pedal died! [Re: picker]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...

I can't help you there, PMan...but I'd suggest that if you have an acquaintance who handles electronic gear, have them dig into the thing & see what they might do to rectify the matter...not like ya got anything to lose, eh ?

#2906874 - 02/03/18 01:51 PM Re: CRUD!!!! My pedal died! [Re: d]
picker Offline
10k Club

Yeah, that's the plan at this point.

#2906919 - 02/03/18 04:19 PM Re: CRUD!!!! My pedal died! [Re: picker]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

I've had it for about a year. And yes, it is used.
Well, a new development on the pedal. I went looking for the internal switch. It's on the circuit board for the on/off switch, and it let's you choose between true bypass and buffer modes. I flipped it and hooked up a battery, and the pilot light came on! It was dead before with a battery or power supply. I pulled out a One Spot and plugged that in, and in the off mode, the pilot light blinked, but when I switched it on, the light went off. I did switch the buffer/bypass back to bypass, and it did the same stuff. But, now, it's back to no response regardless of buffer/bypass setting. The battery gets hot if I leave it in, and the One Spot still makes the pilot light blink. When it's plugged into an amp, the pedal now makes a repeating "bump" noise, like "bump bump bump bump". It true bypass, it only makes it when the pedal is on. In buffer mode, it makes it whether the pedal is on or off, but the off mode is lower in volume.
Does this make sense enough to anyone to diagnose what's wrong with this sucker?

Sounds like something's shorted and is causing the current-draw to run away, causing the battery to get hot as you describe... ? Your repair-tech should be able to find the cause.

#2908511 - 02/10/18 08:02 AM Re: CRUD!!!! My pedal died! [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
picker Offline
10k Club

Well, I figured out what to do. I saw a used Soul Food pedal on Craig's List for $40, and I bought it. My tech guy gave me $10 for the messed up one, which he will fix and sell for a good profit. So, I'm good to go. Thanx all!

#2908527 - 02/10/18 09:22 AM Re: CRUD!!!! My pedal died! [Re: picker]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Well, I figured out what to do. I saw a used Soul Food pedal on Craig's List for $40, and I bought it. My tech guy gave me $10 for the messed up one, which he will fix and sell for a good profit. So, I'm good to go. Thanx all!

Glad to hear it! Ehr, read it!

I'm also glad that the Soul Food (and that whole 'Klon Centaur/KTR'-recipe) seems to be a good fit for you.

Just how are you using it? Settings? Amp- type, and set clean, or dirty? I'm curious! grin

Also, please keep us posted on what your tech guy finds, and how he fixes that Soul Food pedal.

#2908547 - 02/10/18 11:56 AM Re: CRUD!!!! My pedal died! [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
picker Offline
10k Club

Can't tell you the exact settings, they seem to change from room to room. One place seems a little too clean and another seems a little too dirty. Still figuring that out.

The amp I'm using was built by a guy I know, an expat Serbian who lives here is KC. He had a bunch of spare parts laying around and decided to see what he could get out of a lower wattage tube amp with all octal preamp tubes. He then decided he wanted to give it to me. I, of course, protested for a minute or so, then glommed onto it like ugly on an ape. I run it at the edge of break up and use the pedal to push it over the edge. I asked him to put an FX loop in it, and he did it. It works great.

Oh, and I push it through an Eminence Ragin' Cajun 10 in a local-built cabinet.

#2908584 - 02/10/18 03:23 PM Re: CRUD!!!! My pedal died! [Re: picker]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Can't tell you the exact settings, they seem to change from room to room. One place seems a little too clean and another seems a little too dirty. Still figuring that out.

The amp I'm using was built by a guy I know, an expat Serbian who lives here is KC. He had a bunch of spare parts laying around and decided to see what he could get out of a lower wattage tube amp with all octal preamp tubes. He then decided he wanted to give it to me. I, of course, protested for a minute or so, then glommed onto it like ugly on an ape. I run it at the edge of break up and use the pedal to push it over the edge. I asked him to put an FX loop in it, and he did it. It works great.

Oh, and I push it through an Eminence Ragin' Cajun 10 in a local-built cabinet.

Cool; thanks! Sounds like a really cool amp, too.

#2908783 - 02/11/18 03:10 PM Re: CRUD!!!! My pedal died! [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
picker Offline
10k Club

I probably should add that the amp uses 2 6L6s in the power section.

#2908884 - 02/12/18 05:32 AM Re: CRUD!!!! My pedal died! [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

By the way, for what it's worth, the EHX Soul Food pedal is NOT digital, it's analog, like the Klon Centaur and KTR pedals that it emulates. This has been stated officially by an EHX Forum Administrator.

a lower wattage tube amp with all octal preamp tubes. ...I run it at the edge of break up and use the pedal to push it over the edge. ...I push it through an Eminence Ragin' Cajun 10 in a local-built cabinet. ...the amp uses 2 6L6s in the power section.

Thanks! cool I think that's pretty much the way that Warren Haynes, Jeff Beck, and many others use their Klon Centaurs and KTR's, and that it's probably the typical way to get the most out of them and the EHX Soul Food.

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose