Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Dig My Rig--Let's see your setup!

Just updated my live rig. It used to consist of my Mopho, Nord A1 and Nord electro. I used a mixer, K10 and setlistmaker app to change patches. Lot's of cables, lots of loose stuff, lots of things that could go wrong.

As our band was going more to synth sounds, I only used the electro for 2 or 3 songs. I decided to leave it at home and build a pedalboard to make my life easier on gigs. This is the result:

IMG_4972.jpg

IMG_4971.jpg

On the pedal board there is:

-My eventide delay for my Mopho (upside down, because it was more handy cable wise). It's midi operated, so I don't have to worry about that.

-Yamaha Mg06 mixer. (some people know about my woes with the Rolls...)

-Samson DI, it's a stereo DI with mono function. Very handy. It's fed from the mains of my mixer.

-Radial stagebug DI. The two inputs sum to mono, which is quite handy. It is fed from the Phones output of the mixer.

-Yamaha FC7, to control volume of the Mopho. I don't need on for the A1. I do that with the mod wheel mostly

-And finally, my brand new Audiothingies Micromonsta. Because of sizing down the rig, I also lost some flexibility, with only one polyphonic synth. This little synth fits on the board perfectly and really add to my rig. It does wavetable syntheses as well. I really like it. Also, when my Nord A1 dies on stage, I am able to make it through the gig with playing more than 1 note:)

I made all (audio) cables myself, so they would be perfect length. I now tie-wrapped them together as a snake, but am a bit worried the tie-wraps will carve into the cables, so maybe I have to find something for that.

Rudy

Google Photos does not work with this forum to display photos so here is a like my my share Google Photos....

https://photos.app.goo.gl/NHZB9JsoIpO63wpd2

Nice Voyager knobs. Why is nothing wired/powered up? Are you a distributor for this gear?

I don't like the standard Moog knobs so I refinished them with a textures black satin finish. No I am not a distributor - just like the gear.

Thomas Shea

Nebraska

TeaShea - just add ?.jpg to the end of your img URL and the forum will be happy.

That's a neat "B cab" stand. Did you make it?

Thanks for the tip ---- I will try that again - I would rather post the photos instead of making someone go to Goolgle Photos.

I did not make the stand - bought it.

Thomas Shea

Nebraska

It's a keyboard art museum. :)

What´s the "art" ?

And do electronic machines offering a "keyboard" and being released not very long time ago already need a "museum" ?

I normally expect to find pictures/paintings, mummies and these "marvelous old stones" from the era of nebukadnezar kings, but not NORD keyboards or MOJO organ clones (and others) in a museum.

And why there are no cables when there are the speakers ?

Do the speakers already need a museum to ?

What kind of "show up" s##t is this ?

A.C.

I do like visual aesthetics in addition to sound aesthetics. The cables are all hidden - mostly run along the stand frames.

Thomas Shea

Nebraska

Saw Thomas Shea reply to this post. All you guys have tons of equipment. Does anyone have an opinion on latest version of crumar mojo and viscount legend

It was good to have the PM conversation with you - If you have any more questions, let me know.

Thomas Shea

Nebraska

Google Photos does not work with this forum to display photos so here is a like my my share Google Photos....

https://photos.app.goo.gl/NHZB9JsoIpO63wpd2

Not impressed.

Looks like a showroom to me,- not like a workspace.

Some unnecessary collection/assortment of keyboards for a working musician,- except you´re a instrument collector.

I´m irritated from all the speaker pairs and how these are set up close to the walls and/or down on the floor.

How did you hide all the cables ? Are there any at all ?

What are you doing w/ all the gear ?

A.C.

I enjoy the technical aspects of electronic instruments. I prefer to use a modular approach to my setup. I realize that everyone has different approaches that they prefer - this is mine and it works well for what I do.

Thomas Shea

Nebraska

This my organ rig, I have a piano/synth that goes with it but I love the pure organ setup, and it's my primary gig these days (two keyboard players) so this is basically what I enjoy on stage most times.

The stand is a modified On-Stage WS8550, I just cut down the arms about 3" to fit the Mojo perfectly, I tried a few stands and this one is by far the winner.

The Motion Sound KP500SN is beyond great, I'll do a little review elsewhere.

IMAG0256.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here is my battery-powered couch potato rig:

http://www.stickmanor.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/irig_keys_small.jpg

Normally, I use headphones instead of the Bose SoundLink ...and have the whole thing in my lap on the couch. This was the smallest decent quality 4 octave solution I could come up with for practicing voicings, scale/chord stuff, songwriting, etc while I'm vegging out in front of the TV. The iPad sits on a holder attached to the keyboard.

For a discussion of this and a short review of the iRig Keys IO, see this thread:

Clonk

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

• 2 months later...

Did a quick rig walkthrough on tonight's gig. I filmed in portrait mode like a n00b and forgot to talk about settings but here it is:

[video:youtube]

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

Did a quick rig walkthrough on tonight's gig. I filmed in portrait mode like a n00b and forgot to talk about settings but here it is:

David

Isn't your laptop a little too low. As i see you play stand. Do you change patches through your set list or you set-and-forget?

BTW, i like Malika Tyrolien. I

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

Great vid David -thanks!

I have those two buttons mapped on the Novation to change patches. All I need to see when I'm playing is the patch name - ideally everything is set, mixed and tweaked by the time of the gig.

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

• 1 month later...

I just moved into a new space that will be used for rehearsal for my various bands and as a recording space, both for my projects and for the handful of clients I have in the area. I'm also able to have most of my keyboard and modular synth setup in the same place for the first time in years. Here's what it's looking like:

41863741855_3751fec771_z.jpg

Clockwise from left: Minimoog Model D, Rhodes Stage 73, Oberheim SEM, Eurorack, MOTM 5U rack, Hammond BCV, Arturia Microbrute, Nord Lead 1, Fatar Studio 900, Hammond XK1C, Novation SL 61 MK II. The Fatar and Novation control a Macbook Mainstage setup in a rack just out of the shot. The BCV is just a glorified keyboard stand at the moment, the preamp and leslie amp are being rebuilt by my tech, but he says she should be running in a few weeks.

I feel really lucky to be in this space, it was built out as a recording studio about 15-20 years ago, and a friend of mine had been renting the space as storage until I took it over last month. It's a very nice sounding room, with a separate control room and a couple iso booths. I have an Allen & Heath as a mixer/interface in the control room, feeding Logic X on a Mac Mini.

I'm hoping to record a ridiculous amount of stuff here, whether there's a market for it or not.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

Very nice, New&Improv! I want something like that!!

Yeah, I feel really lucky, after decades of working from a converted bedroom, and renting various cheap and tiny rehearsal spaces, that I got this space happening.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

I haven't done this in quite awhile; my ode to PolyAT:

Bi3efaW.jpg

L-R: MBP, Novation Peak, Minitaur, GEM S3 over VAX77, Eventide H9, Reissue. I still have the ADAM S2As and Sub8 that dB sold to me over 15 years ago(!), but haven't set them up because my wife works at home and I have to monitor thru headphones...

I haven't done this in quite awhile; my ode to PolyAT:

Bi3efaW.jpg

L-R: MBP, Novation Peak, Minitaur, GEM S3 over VAX77, Eventide H9, Reissue. I still have the ADAM S2As and Sub8 that dB sold to me over 15 years ago(!), but haven't set them up because my wife works at home and I have to monitor thru headphones...

Nice setup, and nice to see another Mini! I have the H9 as well, it's an amazing pedal!

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

Nice setup, and nice to see another Mini! I have the H9 as well, it's an amazing pedal!
The Minimoog Reissue was a dream come true, I was forced to sell my circa 1975 Minimoog to help pay for college (didn't make any difference in that regard); this was like getting it back again brand new! Total déja vu playing it. I tried for years to bond with the Voyager, and it just didn't happen. I consider the H9 a high-quality desktop effects unit, bought it specifically for the Reissue.

Show off!

You need to read the other 29 pages of this thread :cofee:

Man take some pictures of your stuff you showed me on Tuesday!!

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Show off!

You need to read the other 29 pages of this thread :cofee:

Man take some pictures of your stuff you showed me on Tuesday!!

I have an outdoor show this Saturday. I'll get some pictures then. The lighting will be a lot better than the dark basement where it is set up now.

Stage setup for the 80s rock band I just joined. First show with the band.

http://www.retrosynth.com/~analoguediehard/tour/2018-stage-setup-80s-rock.jpg

I have to cover a lot of sounds so this is the smallest setup I could go with. The old analogs got lots of love, and there was an awesome PA at the show where the Taurus pedals could breathe fire.

With the exception of the Taurus, everything is MIDI controlled. I programmed my trusty MIDIBoard with all the patch changes, effect settings, and volume levels for all the boards. One button and I am ready for the next song. Not shown are my racks which are offstage. The Polypedal was retrofitted to work with my MIDIBoard, which now functions as MIDI sweep and foot controls.

I'm in the process of retrofitting my Taurus 2 controller pedals with a MIDI interface. I have other sounds besides bass that I need to cover with my feet. A Moog Minitaur will be a worthy substitute for the Taurus pedals.

The Andromeda covers a lot of analog synths sounds like my Memorymoog and OBX. Alas, there are some sounds that only the OBX can pull off like "Tom Sawyer" and the filter sweep in "1984" (yes we are playing "Jump", hangs head in shame).

I'm exploiting the Mix feature on the Andromeda a lot with splits and layers. I'm pulling off some busy keyboard intros like "Final Countdown" with no sequencer, no backing tracks, just my hands and feet. The band hadn't heard me play the intro until the show and it blew them away.

This band is going to be a lot of fun.