Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2899172 - 01/02/18 02:17 PM HRD took another dive.
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Phoenix Az
Thumb is healing well, but Hot Rod Deluxe took another dive today, the repair guy is outta town till the 5th. Bad news, the amp is acting up. There is something wrong with the channel switching operation. I never use the drive channel really, and the pedal is not plugged in, but all of the sudden today the amp is switching itself from the clean channel to the drive channel and sometimes the more drive light comes on when I switch the standby switch to standby. The amp is making a loud pop when I touch the standby switch after trying to turn it back on to play mode. All the channel switching operations are happening randomly without me asking it to do so. Weird.

I sure hope he can fix it, he told me he would repair anything that went wrong with the amp for one year except a transformer failure due to a blown tube. Then he would charge me @ cost only for the transformer part, other than that he says he will fix it free, for one year.
Harvey Cedars is my stage name on Soundclick

GP Island
#2899250 - 01/02/18 08:12 PM Re: HRD took another dive. [Re: desertbluesman]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Loc: Northern California
BUMMER! Well we will see how good his guarantee is! Hope he can figure out what that amp is up to. I never use the drive and more drive for the most part and I do not care for those little channel changing switches on the amp. I plug in my foot switch and run it on the green light only. It bypasses the channel switch on the amp that way...you might give that a try. I would just plug in the footswitch, put it on green and leave it out of the way behind the amp. cool

#2899309 - 01/03/18 06:15 AM Re: HRD took another dive. [Re: Larryz]
DocPate Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Virginia
Real downer DBM...but at least you got a great guarantee.

#2899376 - 01/03/18 11:16 AM Re: HRD took another dive. [Re: DocPate]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Here is his response to me, he is vacationing up in the mountains somewhere, but had the time to respond.

Hi Dave,

Yes that problem is very common, has to do with the low voltage power supply. I already rebuilt that supply, so I must have damaged a trace or something like that. It is a quick fix, but does involve lifting the board. If you'd like to drop it off at my house Friday evening, I can probably fix it Saturday and then bring it back to surprise with me.

Sorry for the issue - if you weren't experiencing it before then it is almost certainly my fault. I rebuilt that LV supply to preemptively solve that issue so it is strange that it's acting up now. I will take care of it though.

I am in the mountains with spotty service, hopefully this email goes through.

All the best,

Lowell

#2899444 - 01/03/18 05:36 PM Re: HRD took another dive. [Re: desertbluesman]
p90jr Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: desertbluesman
Thumb is healing well, but Hot Rod Deluxe took another dive today, the repair guy is outta town till the 5th. Bad news, the amp is acting up. There is something wrong with the channel switching operation. I never use the drive channel really, and the pedal is not plugged in, but all of the sudden today the amp is switching itself from the clean channel to the drive channel and sometimes the more drive light comes on when I switch the standby switch to standby. The amp is making a loud pop when I touch the standby switch after trying to turn it back on to play mode. All the channel switching operations are happening randomly without me asking it to do so. Weird.

I sure hope he can fix it, he told me he would repair anything that went wrong with the amp for one year except a transformer failure due to a blown tube. Then he would charge me @ cost only for the transformer part, other than that he says he will fix it free, for one year.

This apparently is a very common problem, and it happened to my Tweed Blues Deville... while I was onstage!!! I never switched channels... in the moment I actually almost kicked it through the back of the stage, which would've been bad since it's the club's front window.

#2899445 - 01/03/18 05:37 PM Re: HRD took another dive. [Re: p90jr]
p90jr Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

and your repair guy is great.

#2900776 - 01/09/18 04:08 AM Re: HRD took another dive. [Re: p90jr]
Bluesape Moderator Offline
10k Club

Loc: Ottawa
Lowell seems like a stand-up guy. Glad he is taking care of you.

#2900944 - 01/09/18 03:56 PM Re: HRD took another dive. [Re: Bluesape]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

We shall see, he ordered a foot switch jack, the female one on the control plate and said he was mounting it off board, so it won't happen again, and he ordered an upgraded jack and it was supposed to come today at 11:00 AM. He wanted to test it for the rest of the day, and he will bring the amp to his house and I can pick it up about 7:30 PM or whenever he texts me, he had the jack installed but had not put the board back when I talked to him about 12:30 this afternoon. Hopefully it tested OK and I will pick it up in an a few hours.

#2901169 - 01/10/18 01:10 PM Re: HRD took another dive. [Re: desertbluesman]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Got the amp back too late to try it out last night, did 2 sets today, all seems well (so far) He changed the foot switch input jack on the top by the efx loop inputs. That was the reason it was channel switching. But I am convinced to sell it. That freaking think is way to heavy for my 75 year old bones. So I can honestly say it is a better than it was originally, with all the things he did to it, he says he solved all the common problems, both what was wrong with the amp, and normal issues with the Hot Rod Deluxe series. Next amp Egnater Tweaker 40 watt head with the money I get for the HRD and its Cannabis Rex speaker, and the Gator lightweight hard sided/bottom road case with a suitcase like handle and wheels for rolling the thing to and from places. He extended my free service on that amp to 2 years gratis because I had to take it back to him a third time.

So far, so good.

#2901239 - 01/10/18 04:57 PM Re: HRD took another dive. [Re: desertbluesman]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Sounds good DBM! Glad you got her working and found a good tech. I kind of suspected that foot switch having to do with the problem of the channel switching...Hope you don't miss that baby. It actually puts out a lot of sound for 40 pounds... cool

#2901251 - 01/10/18 06:11 PM Re: HRD took another dive. [Re: Larryz]
Iconoclast Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Had no idea you lived so close to me DBM. I'm in Goodyear.

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

#2901344 - 01/11/18 07:32 AM Re: HRD took another dive. [Re: Iconoclast]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

@Iconoclast, in Surprise here, Bell and Grand area. Just up the 303 to Bell Road & west a couple of blocks.

#2901346 - 01/11/18 07:33 AM Re: HRD took another dive. [Re: Larryz]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Larryz
Sounds good DBM! Glad you got her working and found a good tech. I kind of suspected that foot switch having to do with the problem of the channel switching...Hope you don't miss that baby. It actually puts out a lot of sound for 40 pounds... cool

I do not expect to play out again truthfully, The amp weighs more than 40 lbs. The specs say 45 lbs but I am pretty sure it weighs more than that, It was even heavier when I had one of my EVM12L's in it. I do have an upgraded speaker in it from stock. My 15 watt Tweaker does everything I need at 16 lbs and one 1-12 cab is probably another 20 lbs but I can carry one in each hand which makes the trip easier. The Tweaker is Deluxe Reverb loud, perhaps even a bit more.

#2901352 - 01/11/18 07:42 AM Re: HRD took another dive. [Re: desertbluesman]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

@ DBM, I weighed mine on my bathroom scale and it was under 45. I also weighed my DeVille and it was about 55lbs. Those extra speakers add a lot of weight. Your amp might have weighed a bit more if you used a heavier speaker. +1 on the piggy back concept. I wish they made the Hot Rods in piggy backs. I almost considered doing it myself to my DeVille but opted for buying the Deluxe with 1x12 instead as I don't need all those extra watts from the DeVille anymore. 40 watts with 1x12 at 45 pounds is perfect for me LOL! Although I mostly run my little Roland Cube Street EX 2x8 these days and it weighs about 16lbs and takes a mic LOL! cool

#2901362 - 01/11/18 08:08 AM Re: HRD took another dive. [Re: Larryz]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Now that I have the amp working, I have noticed that it is quite a bit higher in fidelity than it was when he redid the stuff with the higher quality parts. That is happily surprising.

#2901467 - 01/11/18 04:44 PM Re: HRD took another dive. [Re: desertbluesman]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

That's good news DBM. Now you have a good tech on hand if one of your other or newer amps need work one of these days. Does he also work on Solid State amps? cool

Edited by Larryz (01/11/18 10:01 PM)

#2901469 - 01/11/18 04:51 PM Re: HRD took another dive. [Re: desertbluesman]
DocPate Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Virginia
Originally Posted By: desertbluesman
Now that I have the amp working, I have noticed that it is quite a bit higher in fidelity than it was when he redid the stuff with the higher quality parts. That is happily surprising.

Great!

#2901602 - 01/12/18 08:42 AM Re: HRD took another dive. [Re: DocPate]
jimmac Offline

Loc: Jackson, Michigan
Good news.

#2901680 - 01/12/18 02:18 PM Re: HRD took another dive. [Re: Larryz]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

That's good news DBM. Now you have a good tech on hand if one of your other or newer amps need work one of these days. Does he also work on Solid State amps? cool

I never asked him that question. Can't answer that, but I guess he might, he is very well regarded around here.

The Hot Rod Deluxe is up for sale with road case and Cannabis Rex speaker asking $600. I have asked the amp tech via e-mail if I could transfer the warantee he gave on his work this morning, which might help to sell it. I don't know if he will agree but it would be a perk to the new buyer if any come along. He will probably take a few days to respond, no hard feelings if he refuses.

#2901741 - 01/12/18 09:54 PM Re: HRD took another dive. [Re: desertbluesman]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

@ DBM, I'll bet he will honor it and back up his work! Keep us posted on what he emails back... cool

#2901776 - 01/13/18 07:27 AM Re: HRD took another dive. [Re: Larryz]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

No response yet.

#2901794 - 01/13/18 08:09 AM Re: HRD took another dive. [Re: desertbluesman]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Give him a call...brag about the sound and ask about a warranty transfer. cool

#2901851 - 01/13/18 01:23 PM Re: HRD took another dive. [Re: Larryz]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

He is a very busy man 6 days a week. It does not matter however. I got what I paid for. I took off the back of the amp to BIAS the thing, and what a difference, the Caps were all brand new, and much upgraded from the originals, and lots of new thingies (I got no idea what they are) But $200 for the job he did is downright reasonable. The amp is spotless, and if no one wants it, I bet I can get years of service out of it. But in the mean time I have the road case up for sale @ $175 and if I sell that separately, I will cut the amp down in price to match the lowest ones on Craigslist @ $450 or so. If no sale, no biggie. New tubes, new caps, all other problems and potential problems fixed It'll probably outlast me.....

#2901978 - 01/14/18 11:14 AM Re: HRD took another dive. [Re: desertbluesman]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

DBM, I'm wondering why he didn't set the bias? cool

#2902368 - 01/15/18 05:54 PM Re: HRD took another dive. [Re: Larryz]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

DBM, I'm wondering why he didn't set the bias? cool

He did set the BIAS when he had it in his shop, When you change power tubes, which I did after I got it back from him, I had to set it myself. I have been setting the BIAS on that amp for as long as I have owned it. He set it too hot for me anyways, I like it to run cool and as clean as possible, then I effect it with pedals. I set it at 72 or 74 MA It was set at 85 MA with the new tubes, so I cooled it down a bit. The tubes last a bunch longer that-away, and they break up much later when set cooler.

#2902392 - 01/15/18 07:51 PM Re: HRD took another dive. [Re: desertbluesman]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

OK, I thought you had changed the tubes and then took it in...anyway, I can see running it cooler! cool

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose