Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2901501 - 01/11/18 09:14 PM OT - mudslides in SoCal
waygetter Offline

Loc: Sausalito, CA
Man o man... they can't catch a break. I played tons of gigs in Santa Barbara and Montecito way back when. I recall the insane video of the cars driving down the 405 in the fires? Here's another crazy video of a car being chased down the road by a mudslide.

KC Island
#2901561 - 01/12/18 06:58 AM Re: OT - mudslides in SoCal [Re: waygetter]
Ledbetter Offline

Loc: California
I live 5 miles south of there. We dodged, but this is the worst disaster I can remember here: first the Thomas fire and now this. 17 people drowned in mud and many still missing. Very disturbing to say the least. Sheriff appears to have notified residents an hour or more after being notified by the the NOAA of the oncoming rain, which by some reports was about 9Ē during a fifteen minute period on slopes burned of all vegetation. Many residents disregarded the order to evacuate. Awful.

#2901568 - 01/12/18 07:10 AM Re: OT - mudslides in SoCal [Re: Ledbetter]
El Lobo Offline
Gold Member

My brother and his lady, both musos, live in one of the canyons above Montecito. They were evacuated for 10 days because of the Thomas fire, not knowing if their house was still there. The fire was stopped a few hundred feet from their home. Then the mudslide tore through the property, destroying a warehouse/shop they have on their property. They are without water and were without power until just now.

My brother says, "A ten foot high wall of water, mud, trees and giant boulders came crashing through here with unimaginable force, sweeping away everything in its path, no matter how big or heavy or bolted down, and rocking the house like we were having a very long earthquake. My shop is smashed in a with a roof high pile of debris and trees shoved into the backside and a couple of feet of black mud on the inside. We've been stranded here with no power or water for a few days and getting a little grumpy about it, but now that we are able to see whatís actually been happening around us, I am feeling grateful and very lucky."

#2901604 - 01/12/18 08:45 AM Re: OT - mudslides in SoCal [Re: El Lobo]
zxcvbnm098 Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Southern Calif.
The 101 freeway, the main coastal north-south artery into Santa Barbara from Ventura County, is still completely closed. The latest word is it will possibly be open Monday, but still no definite date as they work to clean up the debris field.

#2901699 - 01/12/18 05:02 PM Re: OT - mudslides in SoCal [Re: zxcvbnm098]
Ledbetter Offline

Wonít open Monday. CalTrans now says they donít know when. They dig out the mud, and more mud fills up the holes.

#2901711 - 01/12/18 06:03 PM Re: OT - mudslides in SoCal [Re: Ledbetter]
davedoerfler Offline
KCFF League Champion 2017
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: thin ice
Originally Posted By: Ledbetter
Wonít open Monday. CalTrans now says they donít know when. They dig out the mud, and more mud fills up the holes.

Highway 101 in Santa Barbara to remain closed indefinitely

difficult times. frown

#2901743 - 01/12/18 11:01 PM Re: OT - mudslides in SoCal [Re: davedoerfler]
zxcvbnm098 Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Southern Calif.
And sadly another victim pulled out today...:(

#2901747 - 01/13/18 12:30 AM Re: OT - mudslides in SoCal [Re: zxcvbnm098]
Ledbetter Offline

Cox Cable got our internet and TV back on today, and trains and boats are ferrying people from Carpinteria and Ventura, respectively, to Santa Barbara.

18 dead, some still missing. One of the dead is a hand surgeon at a clinic I go to.

I have no more words right now.

#2901753 - 01/13/18 03:28 AM Re: OT - mudslides in SoCal [Re: Ledbetter]
I-missRichardTee Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: S. Ca. USA
I am an "outsider" in things public.. like a fly on the wall.
As such, curiosity propels me about seeing these awful fires in a greater context, the historical context. What I found out was California used to have ( to use my own terminology ) controlled burns of areas deemed too dangerous. But other forces in public had their reasons to cease the controlled burning of vegetation- forests .

Maybe it is time to reconsider the old ways, versus the new way.. controlled burning versus what we have now!

I always look for more than one way to see life situations. One of my favorite drummers I work with was this close to being burned out.

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner