Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2901472 - 01/11/18 05:12 PM Marty Stuart Concert
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Loc: Northern California
I took the wife to a Marty Stuart concert last night and although she's not a big country fan like I am, she loved it! If you are a country fan or country rock fan and he comes to your town, I highly recommend you make every effort to attend. For a 4 piece country band (2 guitars, bass and drums), I don't think you'll find a better one. Here's a sample that I posted before that will give you an idea:

These guys are true Tele masters. Last night on the 50th anniversary of Johnny Cash singing Folsom Prison Blues at the Prison January 13, 1968, they kicked off their tour right here in downtown Folsom, CA. Marty is a big Merle Haggard fan and they wrote and recorded a song called Farmers Blues which is a true country classic. I saw Merle at the same theater before he died a year or so ago. Because it's California, they also did a couple of surfing instrumentals. True to form from any surfing music you've ever heard but all original with a little country Tele thrown in.

Every song was just fantastic to include an a cappella gospel song at the end for a standing ovation...Marty also tears up his version on the mandolin of Orange Blossom Special while the band takes a break. Unbelievable...He and his Fabulous Superlatives play country music the way it's supposed to be played IMHO. If they were playing again tonight, I would go back and watch them again! twothumbs

GP Island
#2901486 - 01/11/18 07:01 PM Re: Marty Stuart Concert [Re: Larryz]
DocPate Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Virginia
Marty is a great talent. He made several appearances on The Carl Tipton show with Johnny Cash.

(Yours truly played with Carl for years.)

#2901587 - 01/12/18 08:11 AM Re: Marty Stuart Concert [Re: DocPate]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

That's cool Doc getting to play with Carl Tipton! Marty had his own show for awhile with some very big names appearing like Johnny Rivers, Charlie Daniels, etc, that's where the youtube clip I posted came from:

http://www.tv.com/shows/the-marty-stuart-show/

He's been around country music since he was 14 playing with Flatt and Scruggs and played in the Johnny Cash band...I know there were some big names playing on the Carl Tipton Show too, like Johnny Cash and many others! twothumbs

#2901596 - 01/12/18 08:32 AM Re: Marty Stuart Concert [Re: Larryz]
DocPate Offline
Gold Member

I know that Marty was most proud of his role in bring "The Highwaymen" to the "Outlaws".

Listen to this interview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txCjyCe3rSg

#2901608 - 01/12/18 09:00 AM Re: Marty Stuart Concert [Re: DocPate]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
He's always been a facile player.
Who's the 2nd gtr ?
He's doin' OK, too!

In this clip, which sorta triangulates Stuart w/D Yoakam (overall song feel) & Chris Isaak (drm rhythm), his (2nd gtr) demeanor suggests K Richard dressed up as Neil Jung pretending to be Robbie Robertson.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOUSaxoD2j4

#2901612 - 01/12/18 09:25 AM Re: Marty Stuart Concert [Re: DocPate]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: DocPate
I know that Marty was most proud of his role in bring "The Highwaymen" to the "Outlaws".

Listen to this interview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txCjyCe3rSg

@ Doc, that's a very interesting interview and there are some others on youtube that tell his story that go 40 minutes or so and I won't post the long one LOL! He says he started at 12 doing gospel... In my Country Rock band back in '79-'83 or so, that's what we specialized in "Outlaw Country". It's still the music I enjoy today. I can't stand to listen to the "New Country". Marty is one special guy that has and is still keeping the country in country music IMHO! We probably were not that great of a band but our local fans loved us and we always got the joints a rockin! It wasn't that our playing and singing was all that great, it was because of our material like Waylon, Willie, Kris, Merle, Johnny and many others. Then throw in some rock and rollers like the Beatles, Elvis, Jerry Lee, Chuck Berry, etc., and even some guitar instrumentals like Sleepwalk and a surf tune like Pipeline, etc., and we had a whole lot of fun!

cool

#2901615 - 01/12/18 09:47 AM Re: Marty Stuart Concert [Re: Larryz]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

@ d, The guy's name is Kenny Vaughan and he is just flat phenomenal! He played in Jazz bands before joining up with Marty. I used to get accused of jazzing up country songs, but this guy can really do it. I'm a bottom feeder compared to these guys. Those that don't care for country should still go see them live as it's like going to see Tommy Emmanuel. The guitar works is super and I can't do it justice in my review. I do want to see Dwight Yoakam one of these days. He plays at the Silver Legacy in Reno this April and I may go see him. He gets bigger gigs than Marty but I like Marty better and he's in my own town at a smaller venue and I don't have to travel!

I did get to see Chris Isaak in Lake Tahoe a couple of years ago, and I highly recommend his show too! You're hitting on some of my faves and you really have to see them live to get a good dose of what they can do...

Not a fan of Neil, so I won't be reporting back on any of his gigs LOL!

With regard to Keith Richards, there is a classic line in the Shine A Light movie where Keith is asked who the better player is him or Ronnie? Keith says neither of us are worth a crap, but put us together and we are as good as anyone out there (paraphrasing). That's how I feel after watching Marty and Kenny. What they can do together live, is downright amazing. Marty is better in his country picking but Kenny is definitely better in his jazz picking...they are both great IMHO!

I can go on and on on these two LOL! twothumbs

Edited by Larryz (01/12/18 09:49 AM)

#2901678 - 01/12/18 02:17 PM Re: Marty Stuart Concert [Re: Larryz]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Phoenix Az
Marty Stewart is a great player and a great musician. I admire him, and always enjoyed his stuff on the Opry and other TV shows featuring Country/Blue Grass, he is great at both.
Harvey Cedars is my stage name on Soundclick

#2901679 - 01/12/18 02:18 PM Re: Marty Stuart Concert [Re: Larryz]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

As far as KR & NJ, etc, I was just gaming on Vaughan's appearance; musically there's no resemblance.

BTW & FWIW, you may know these things already but if not....

http://theboot.com/marty-stuart-interview-2017/

http://www.wideopencountry.com/marty-stuart-museum-hometown/

https://www.loc.gov/item/prn-16-083/libr...ory/2016-05-09/

#2901707 - 01/12/18 05:54 PM Re: Marty Stuart Concert [Re: d]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Good stuff d! I wasn't going to post this video as it's a little too country for the forum, but it's by Marty and Merle and the lyrics really send me, so what the hay? It's the Farmers Blues:

gofish

Edited by Larryz (01/12/18 07:45 PM)

#2901716 - 01/12/18 06:25 PM Re: Marty Stuart Concert [Re: Larryz]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Phoenix Az
Classic old time Country. Marty is great, so is Merle. You can post as much of this kind of stuff as you want, as far as I am concerned.
Harvey Cedars is my stage name on Soundclick

#2901728 - 01/12/18 07:45 PM Re: Marty Stuart Concert [Re: desertbluesman]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

thu

#2901793 - 01/13/18 08:06 AM Re: Marty Stuart Concert [Re: Larryz]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Larryz
I wasn't going to post this video as it's a little too country for the forum...

The forum is what we make it.
This is one of the things that bugs me abt some situations that intimidate ppl from being, ahem, all that they might be b/c they're reluctant to rock the boat when sometimes any bor boat might just need a good rockin' ! rawk

If someone can post abt their probs w/ the weather, the BDay of a non-musical celebrity or other OT topics, no one should be reticent to post abt any music-related topic.

#2901802 - 01/13/18 08:38 AM Re: Marty Stuart Concert [Re: d]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Thanks d, I know there is a couple of us out here that can take a little classic country, I just wanted to give out a little warning for those that can't take it LOL! So, now that you have given me some inspiration, I would like to share that Mandolin performance I mentioned that mesmorized me in the 4th row watching it live! It's some real country music history that Marty shares on stage while the band takes a break. Marty has been around the country for a long long time...here he is doing The Special as Ervin calls it:

Violins and Mandolins are tuned the same and Marty can make his Mandolin, cop a few of those Violin licks! cool

ps. I am told that at one time, any Violin player that wanted to play in a blue grass band, had to audition with The Orange Blossom Special!

Edited by Larryz (01/13/18 08:48 AM)
Edit Reason: ps.

#2901823 - 01/13/18 10:29 AM Re: Marty Stuart Concert [Re: Larryz]
DocPate Offline
Gold Member

@Larry. True for fiddler's but Guitar and Mandolin uses Sunny Side of the Mountain in a lot of times.
https://youtu.be/W4QmlPgF2f4

#2901827 - 01/13/18 10:42 AM Re: Marty Stuart Concert [Re: Larryz]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Violins and Mandolins are tuned the same and Marty can make his Mandolin, cop a few of those Violin licks! cool
ps. I am told that at one time, any Violin player that wanted to play in a blue grass band, had to audition with The Orange Blossom Special!

It is the quintessential American fiddle tune. Kronos, those mavens of the avant garde, do a version of Orange Blossom Special.

#2901844 - 01/13/18 12:27 PM Re: Marty Stuart Concert [Re: Scott Fraser]
DocPate Offline
Gold Member

Marty and Johnny Cash did a great duet of Orange Blossom Special. Johnny was great on the harp.

https://youtu.be/_KeCtIn6NA4

#2901905 - 01/14/18 04:15 AM Re: Marty Stuart Concert [Re: DocPate]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
Pay NO attention to the pretentious. This forum has ALWAYS been accepting of all OT entries. And if ANY guitar playing is involved, then NOTHING is really "too country" for this forum.

I believe it's called the "Guitar Players" forum. NOT the "Rock Guitar Players" forum, or tied to ANY specific genre.

You went to a concert of an artist you like and admire and had a good time. So what's WRONG with tellin' us all about it? (plus, I have NO idea which "non musical" celebrity's BD is being referred to.)
Whitefang

#2901966 - 01/14/18 10:34 AM Re: Marty Stuart Concert [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

@ Fang, I didn't refer to the "non musical" celebrity BD. I think we are all in agreement that I can post some country now and then without worrying about it... thu

@ Scott, I would like to hear that Kronos version! You got me to wondering, is it OK to call it a violin instead of a fiddle when talking blue grass and country LOL! idk

@ Doc, I didn't hear much Guitar in that Sunny Side clip (mostly chords), I did hear some impressive Mandolin and Banjo which could be used for auditions LOL! cool

Edited by Larryz (01/14/18 10:41 AM)

#2901969 - 01/14/18 10:43 AM Re: Marty Stuart Concert [Re: Larryz]
DocPate Offline
Gold Member

@larry, that's the role of the guitar in bluegrass as you know. Just need to know the G Run.

#2901974 - 01/14/18 10:57 AM Re: Marty Stuart Concert [Re: DocPate]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

thu

#2902168 - 01/15/18 04:56 AM Re: Marty Stuart Concert [Re: Larryz]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
@ Fang, I didn't refer to the "non musical" celebrity BD. I think we are all in agreement that I can post some country now and then without worrying about it... thu

Yeah I knew it wasn't you. Sorry if I gave that impression. cool
Whitefang

#2902210 - 01/15/18 07:34 AM Re: Marty Stuart Concert [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

thu

#2902658 - 01/16/18 05:32 PM Re: Marty Stuart Concert [Re: Larryz]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Scott, I would like to hear that Kronos version!

We may need SF to provide that.
Haven't found any mention of it elsewhere & doesn't even show up searching their page... http://kronosquartet.org
idk

I did come across the, uh, abnormality, which we may be fairly certain sounds nothing like it & which I will refrain from sharing on the current "covrs" thread.
The Spotnicks were an early 1960s Swedish instrumental band.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DhLnuh7TQI

freak

This may help wipe that from yer memory bank
The late & great Don Rich
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXNwVnOZ6BU

#2902687 - 01/16/18 09:27 PM Re: Marty Stuart Concert [Re: d]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Originally Posted By: d
Scott, I would like to hear that Kronos version!

We may need SF to provide that.
Haven't found any mention of it elsewhere & doesn't even show up searching their page... http://kronosquartet.org
idk

For the time being you'll have to catch a live gig, it hasn't been recorded yet. But we're doing it at the Sundance Festival next Monday, Jan. 22nd. Then a couple days later in Columbus, OH.

#2902688 - 01/16/18 09:44 PM Re: Marty Stuart Concert [Re: Scott Fraser]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

These guys and gal, do a pretty good job and look like they're having fun with the OBS:

It'll have to do till Scott comes through LOL! cool

ps. Don Rich did an excellent job d!

Edited by Larryz (01/16/18 09:57 PM)
Edit Reason: ps.

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose