Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2901672 - 01/12/18 01:29 PM Re: Death of an X stand [Re: Raymb1]
aellison62 Offline

Loc: Ohio
Originally Posted By: Raymb1
My Ultimate Double X stand has lasted for over 20 years, lucky! After seeing the above video of X stand failures I need to buy a new stand. Does anyone have any reservations about this Z stand: http://www.guitarcenter.com/On-Stage-Stands/KS7350-Keyboard-Stand.gc

The On Stage Z stand is very nice. The problem (for me at least) is the double tier version of it. The upper tier doesn't have the upper keyboard sit far back enough so your bottom keyboard is only half visible, especially when standing. That's OK if your bottom is a very simple slab AP but not good if you need to read a screen display. I thought the depth of that upper tier would be adjustable but as far as I can tell, it's not.

KC Island
#2901689 - 01/12/18 03:45 PM Re: Death of an X stand [Re: aellison62]
DanL Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: DE
Originally Posted By: aellison62
Originally Posted By: Raymb1
My Ultimate Double X stand has lasted for over 20 years, lucky! After seeing the above video of X stand failures I need to buy a new stand. Does anyone have any reservations about this Z stand: http://www.guitarcenter.com/On-Stage-Stands/KS7350-Keyboard-Stand.gc

The On Stage Z stand is very nice. The problem (for me at least) is the double tier version of it. The upper tier doesn't have the upper keyboard sit far back enough so your bottom keyboard is only half visible, especially when standing. That's OK if your bottom is a very simple slab AP but not good if you need to read a screen display. I thought the depth of that upper tier would be adjustable but as far as I can tell, it's not.

I put my slab (FA08) on the top tier and my Electro on the bottom.
www.echoesrocks.com

#2901731 - 01/12/18 08:21 PM Re: Death of an X stand [Re: Raymb1]
MoodyBluesKeys Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: eastern North Carolina
@Raymb1,
I have three of the similar OnStage two tier Z stands - very sturdy and reliable. One stays in my shop/studio, one stays at church, the third in the matching bag for travel.
Admittedly, I use my K&M 18880 (and 18881 when needed) more often for travel now due to the very light weight combined with reasonable strength.
But I'm pleased with the Z stands.
Jim

#2901742 - 01/12/18 10:04 PM Re: Death of an X stand [Re: MoodyBluesKeys]
Raymb1 Online   content

Loc: Sterling, VA
Thanks for replies fellas. Much appreciated.

#2901839 - 01/13/18 12:02 PM Re: Death of an X stand [Re: Synthoid]
Stormfront Offline

Loc: Columbus, OH
Yes, Ive had a couple of fails on an apex. Once one of the arms broke off near the hook end. Another time the whole block that holds two arms to the stand split. Both times I caught the instrument before it hit the floor.

I only use Z stands now. One I've had for about 12 years with medium use still is rock solid. It's a pain to move, but I'll put up with that.

Pete

Kurzweil K2000, ME-1 and (2)PC3, Casio PX-350 AND PX-360, EV sXa 360

#2901937 - 01/14/18 07:58 AM Re: Death of an X stand [Re: Darcity]
kbrkr Offline

I have always been curious about the Gibralter Keytree and Workhorse keyboard stands. Non mainstream, heavy, expensive, but rock solid.

http://www.gibraltarhardware.com/?fa=detail&mid=3016&sid=749&cid=31

http://www.gibraltarhardware.com/?fa=workhorse

I costed out this stand and it came to $515.00 Yikes!!!

Edited by kbrkr (01/14/18 08:01 AM)

#2901941 - 01/14/18 08:31 AM Re: Death of an X stand [Re: kbrkr]
Moonglow Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Northwest Indiana
I like the way the “Keytree” stand looks, but where to put pedals? I’m also wondering if the height of the top tier is adjustable?

#2901954 - 01/14/18 09:48 AM Re: Death of an X stand [Re: Moonglow]
EscapeRocks Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By: Moonglow
I like the way the “Keytree” stand looks, but where to put pedals? I’m also wondering if the height of the top tier is adjustable?

The Gibraltar stuff is very cool! You can pretty much build anything you can think of. It comes down to how much $$$$ you want to spend.
The current NIghtRanger keys dude (Eric Levy) uses Gibraltar he designed.
Two Tier, basic setup with a mic attachment tube.
As far as adjustable height, it depends how you build it.

In my case, If I were to build one, it would be for standing gigs only, so I would buy the proper tubes for the height I want. Also, the tubes are easy to cut to custom length

#2901960 - 01/14/18 10:11 AM Re: Death of an X stand [Re: EscapeRocks]
Moonglow Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Northwest Indiana
Hey thanks for the clarification, David! That Night Ranger stand looks badass, bottle-holder, to boot. twothumbs

#2901968 - 01/14/18 10:42 AM Re: Death of an X stand [Re: Moonglow]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Hey thanks for the clarification, David! That Night Ranger stand looks badass, bottle-holder, to boot. twothumbs

You're welcome! Eric says it's the most stable stand he's used on tour.

Also, for those curious.... if you need to tear it down all the time, the clamps use "memory locks", so you don't have to remember the correct position.
My drummer uses Gibraltar rack hardware, and setting up his rack at shows takes no time.

Also, the way Eric's stand is built, you just loosen a couple clamps, and the sides fold in. You don't even have to remove the top cross bar.

#2912769 - 03/02/18 07:56 PM Re: Death of an X stand [Re: Delaware Dave]
shmuelyosef Offline

Loc: California
Two words of advice...Loctite 222

Originally Posted By: Delaware Dave
I have a proline double braced X-stand and noticed that the bolt had come loose that holds the two braces together. I only noticed it because the bolt barely went through. When i examined it to try to understand why, that is when I noticed the nut/bolt holding the braces together was significantly loose. But still never had a fail and I've been using one of mine for over 20 years on gigs with heavy keyboards.

#2912771 - 03/02/18 08:10 PM Re: Death of an X stand [Re: EscapeRocks]
Nathanael_I Offline

Originally Posted By: EscapeRocks
Eric says it's the most stable stand he's used on tour.

Also, for those curious.... if you need to tear it down all the time, the clamps use "memory locks", so you don't have to remember the correct position.
My drummer uses Gibraltar rack hardware, and setting up his rack at shows takes no time.

Also, the way Eric's stand is built, you just loosen a couple clamps, and the sides fold in. You don't even have to remove the top cross bar.

I built a sitting version of this basic stand design with a side wing to hold an Ableton Push controller. The stand is rock solid. Nothing moves. It is like playing the keyboard at my studio desk, or a piano in the stability department.

On mine, I just open four clamps and the two crossbars are free and the stand is apart. I never break down the sides. Memory locks everywhere. It looks great and it is super easy to dress cables on it. It takes up more space than an X-stand or even my K&M table stand. But it is vastly better in every way. Not cheap, but then neither are the boards on top of it. Once you build a base unit, expanding it is not expensive, and like a drummer, you end up with some extra clamps and such to play around with ideas. If I wanted to reconfigure it, extra pipe is cheap - the clamps are where the cost comes from.

#2912863 - 03/03/18 12:21 PM Re: Death of an X stand [Re: Darcity]
TommyS Offline
Gold Member

Loc: SoCal
Yep. “Death of an X-Stand”.. the little known Arthur Miller sequel to “Death of a Salesman”. One superb read,,,,

#2912864 - 03/03/18 12:26 PM Re: Death of an X stand [Re: Moonglow]
timwat Offline
Quite wealthy...spiritually
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Concord,CA,UNITED STATES

No kidding. That thing looks formidable.

The problem is I don't think I could play jazz on it. I'd be afraid the cops would arrest me if I threw an alt7 chord out.

#2912940 - 03/03/18 07:15 PM Re: Death of an X stand [Re: Nathanael_I]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Nathanael_I

If I wanted to reconfigure it, extra pipe is cheap - the clamps are where the cost comes from.

Exactly. I am getting ready to finally order parts to build something.
Most likely a double tier with a side extension to hold my Macbook for Mainstage.

#2912945 - 03/03/18 07:33 PM Re: Death of an X stand [Re: EscapeRocks]
MathOfInsects Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

I've posted pics here before, but I use a Pearl drum rack for some gigs. It's the most versatile, stable, and lightweight stand I've ever owned. I actually "came up with the idea" without knowing that anyone was using drum racks for keyboards, found the rack I wanted used, put the components together, and proudly showed it off, thinking I'd invented some new-use application for those racks, and someone was like, "Oh, yeah, cool, like those Gibraltar racks." Anyway, mine's cooler. smile I don't like all the components on the Gibraltar. Mine sets up in about .0005 seconds, which is barely an exaggeration. I just don't always like to deal with the three separate parts on easy roll-in gigs. I go minimal these days...

#2912951 - 03/03/18 09:42 PM Re: Death of an X stand [Re: MathOfInsects]
theGman Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Parts Unknown, Virginia
Math, I can't be the only one who would like to see those pics of you stand, with parts list, if possible?
I use 2 - 73/76 key boards, and play standing fwiw.

That Night Ranger stand would be cool to see more pics and details also if possible.

#2912952 - 03/03/18 10:00 PM Re: Death of an X stand [Re: theGman]
MathOfInsects Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Photobucket paywalled all my pics. Let me see what I can find locally.

#2913188 - 03/05/18 12:54 PM Re: Death of an X stand [Re: MathOfInsects]
Adam Burgess Offline

I love my Gibraltar rack. I've posted pics here many times.

The reason I made one was to give me a few inches extra stable height.

May go get a(nother) K&M Spider tomorrow to do quick change around gigs. See if the Baby Spider is tall enough to stand with. I, too, hate X-stands!

#2913377 - 03/06/18 12:53 PM Re: Death of an X stand [Re: Moonglow]
StanC Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Connecticut USA
I’ve said this before, there are two types of X-stand users, those who have had their X-stand collapse, and those who will have their X-stand collapse. . .

I guess I am the second category. I am still using my 15 yr old X-stand without incident. Oh you're probably thinking aren't you worried about damage to your boards??? idk Well no, see I've re-purposed it a bit.
I use it to support the far end of long pieces of lumber when cutting them on a table saw. Although if it does fail, I could get it the chin. . . hmmmmm facepalm facepalm

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner