Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2901328 - 01/11/18 05:49 AM Re: Who of you play to a click? [Re: JimboK]
Nadroj Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
Depends on the gig. For most of the gigs I do, no. A lot of the time you're just following the drummer anyways - there's just less of an opportunity to jam things out of someone misses a cue.

KC Island
#2901329 - 01/11/18 06:09 AM Re: Who of you play to a click? [Re: JimboK]
BEMcCut Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
Playing live I have never used a click. When I record I have a good friend that has been a pro drummer all his life. He plays to a click and puts down all the precussion and I play and sing to his recording without the click.

#2901392 - 01/11/18 09:10 AM Re: Who of you play to a click? [Re: BEMcCut]
ProfD Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Wash DC Area
I understand how we have gotten to the point of using click tracks. But, I think as musicians we should be mindful of the extent of our reliance on such technology especially during live performance.

IMO, the reason DJs and EDM performers are so popular nowadays is because listeners have grown accustomed to the sound of mechanically produced music.

I'm thankful having grown up in an environment and era where great drummers were solely responsible for keeping time. cool

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

#2901397 - 01/11/18 09:20 AM Re: Who of you play to a click? [Re: JimboK]
Steve Nathan Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Nashville, TN
Quote:
I'm thankful having grown up in an environment and era where great drummers were solely responsible for keeping time. cool

I was on a session once with the great Larrie London, when a producer came on the talkback and said "Larrie, you're a little ahead of the beat" shocked , to which Larrie responded "I AM THE BEAT!

www.stevenathanmusic.com
www.nashvillemusiciansforpensionsecurity.com

#2901401 - 01/11/18 09:26 AM Re: Who of you play to a click? [Re: Steve Nathan]
Steve Nathan Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Nashville, TN
Seriously, I've been around studios before and since the click became a constant. It's now necessary for most studio work because of the way nearly everything is done in Post. Even Nashville is becoming a place where linear recording is less and less frequent.
However, I will say that one of the marks of a good studio musician is an ability to play with a click without sounding like you're playing to a click! And I've often said it's much easier to get tight players to play loose than the other way around. laugh

www.stevenathanmusic.com
www.nashvillemusiciansforpensionsecurity.com

#2901494 - 01/11/18 07:42 PM Re: Who of you play to a click? [Re: Bobadohshe]
HSS Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Las Vegas NV
A drummer for one of the bands I play with (an old-school soul / jump blues act) was fired a couple of months ago after a gig because he relied too much on a click. Due to the audience vibe at the gig we were playing, just a couple of days after the mass shooting here in Vegas, the band leader in real time on stage changed the order of the songs on the set list for which the drummer had already programmed his "click / beat machine". As a result the drummer had to FK around with his beat machine on stage and the delays between songs became too long.

The drummer was a "younger" dude in his early 30's and was used to playing gigs with tracks in his other classic rock cover band, hence his reliance on clicks. The band leader has since hired an older, more seasoned drummer who rehearses with clicks but plays live without them.

Due to situations as described above, I generally prefer not to play with drummers relying on clicks when playing live. Having said this, for reasons stated previously in this thread, I've used clicks when recording in the studio and also for demo videos with bands.

For sale: Numa Stage Piano, Studiologic Acuna 73, Hammond SK2(?)

#2901511 - 01/11/18 11:10 PM Re: Who of you play to a click? [Re: HSS]
GRollins Offline
Platinum Member

Why are so many people so terrified of a variation in the beat when playing live? Since when has this become a problem? Do you honestly think the Beat Police are going to come arrest your sorry ass if you play a little fast, a little slow, or (gasp!) vary a little both ways during the course of a single song?

In the same manner that the dynamics of a song can add to the excitement, small shifts in the rhythm can do the same, communicating to the audience that this part means something different from the last. When did this become a crime?

What do you do when confronted with a song like Stairway To Heaven, where Jimmy Page expressly said that he wanted the song to speed up from beginning to end? It was a bold experiment and it worked, becoming one of the most revered of rock anthems.

Good musicians create mood by working ahead of or behind the beat. Take vocalists: Diana Krall routinely sings behind the beat--she creates a sense of languor or sadness. Listen to Stevie Nicks singing Edge Of Seventeen--she creates a sense of urgency by singing way ahead of the beat. Ditto for Jon Anderson of Yes on the early stuff. It's when he started singing with the beat that Yes became boring (yes, some will try to argue that, and there were other factors as well, but still...).

What do you do when the tempo on the sheet says "Freely?"

Is it any wonder that music has become so bloody boring?

Jeez, guys, live a little! Show some courage. Be the first on your block to actually express yourself with music instead of meekly reciting it.

Harrumph!

Grey

Edited by GRollins (01/11/18 11:12 PM)

#2901522 - 01/12/18 02:55 AM Re: Who of you play to a click? [Re: GRollins]
MorayM Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Wilts, UK
PSA: "Click track" != "metronome"

Just because there's a click doesn't mean that you can't do the pushes and drags. We have a click track for Dogs where every verse and every chorus is at a different speed, before you even get to the spacey breakdown in the middle! It just takes a little preparation, that's all.

#2901547 - 01/12/18 06:27 AM Re: Who of you play to a click? [Re: Steve Nathan]
Dave Weiser Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Boston, MA
Originally Posted By: Steve Nathan
Seriously, I've been around studios before and since the click became a constant. It's now necessary for most studio work because of the way nearly everything is done in Post. Even Nashville is becoming a place where linear recording is less and less frequent.
However, I will say that one of the marks of a good studio musician is an ability to play with a click without sounding like you're playing to a click! And I've often said it's much easier to get tight players to play loose than the other way around. laugh

My thoughts exactly, but better than I could have said it!

Also, I've seen instances where a band rehearsing to a click can be hugely helpful preparing for live performances where click is not used.

#2901571 - 01/12/18 07:31 AM Re: Who of you play to a click? [Re: HSS]
Reezekeys Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: NYC area
Originally Posted By: HSS
A drummer for one of the bands I play with (an old-school soul / jump blues act) was fired a couple of months ago after a gig because he relied too much on a click. Due to the audience vibe at the gig we were playing, just a couple of days after the mass shooting here in Vegas, the band leader in real time on stage changed the order of the songs on the set list for which the drummer had already programmed his "click / beat machine". As a result the drummer had to FK around with his beat machine on stage and the delays between songs became too long

This happened on one gig and he was fired?

#2901609 - 01/12/18 09:05 AM Re: Who of you play to a click? [Re: Reezekeys]
hardware Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Macau
Sounds like Vegas.
Entertainment Directors are actually Food & Beverage Managers, they’re never at the gigs. But newbies get nervous and sweat appearances.
You want to keep your gig in Vegas just tip the FOH, and take care of the Bartenders and waittail cocktresses.
They’ll tell the F&B Manager you’re great.

#2901654 - 01/12/18 11:49 AM Re: Who of you play to a click? [Re: hardware]
LennyTunes Offline

Loc: Live Music Capital ofthe World
I would never want a click in my blues-jam band. However, in my pop-dance group, I want to add some subtle tracks for percussion or strings . Hence, a click. As mentioned, this can pave the path of syncing lights and video for a higher production for this type of show.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner