Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2900882 - 01/09/18 12:14 PM Which speakers to use for playing small coffee house?
simajanpa Offline

Loc: Rhode Island
Yes I know it has been discussed here to great lengths and yes I have read as many threads here that I could find on the subject...but I am still torn/confused.

First off I have not played out in decades, and I am used to listening with headphones or near field monitors in my basement.

I am now retired and some friends have asked me to sit in with their respective bands in the not so distant future.

We would be playing small low volume <75 seat venues. Acoustic Bass, acoustic guitar, percussion only and keys.
But since I am spoiled by the stereo of monitors, I'd like to get as close to this tone as possible.

I have a Stage3c, a ZED6fx, and one DXR8 right now.
I would like to add another speaker for stereo...most places are that small for the audience, not just me to get that benefit.

And I am talking about reproducing the Acoustic Grand patches on the Nord, everything else sounds fine as usual through the DXR8....Rhodes, Wurly and organ.

I like the DXR8 but find it a bit hollow sounding, and wondered if the EV ZXa1-90 would be a bit more "present".
Maybe it's just me playing the Nord APs MONO for the first time?
My price range is < $500 and used is fine. Weight is not an issue since these gigs would be infrequent at best.

Could I should I add another brand speaker to the equation, to pair with the DXR8 or would that be just to wacky?

RCF HD10 RCF Art310-A MK4 EV ZXa1-90 or just stick with and work with another DXR8?

Thanks
Paul

Edited by simajanpa (01/09/18 12:21 PM)

KC Island
#2901006 - 01/09/18 08:52 PM Re: Which speakers to use for playing small coffee house? [Re: simajanpa]
bourniplus Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Québec
I don't know how much a used DXR8 is worth, but if you can find one and it fits your budget, I'd say it would make a nice setup. If you ever want to change for something else, I think the pair would be easier to sell than two mismatched speakers.

#2901019 - 01/09/18 11:08 PM Re: Which speakers to use for playing small coffee house? [Re: bourniplus]
Synthaholic Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Proud Resister of 2nd helpings
Spacestation.

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

#2901022 - 01/09/18 11:23 PM Re: Which speakers to use for playing small coffee house? [Re: Synthaholic]
hardware Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Macau
I’ve seen the RCF Pole style speakers and was impressed.
They were used by a triple keyboard player group.
Kick ass low end, crystal clear mids and highs.

Space station is nice, but the RCFs are really impressive.
Match the volume to the level of the drummer (mic only on kick) and you have a great sounding small PA.
Just for keys would be sweet too.

#2901134 - 01/10/18 10:43 AM Re: Which speakers to use for playing small coffee house? [Re: simajanpa]
AnotherScott Online   content
10k Club

Originally Posted By: simajanpa
I like the DXR8 but find it a bit hollow sounding, and wondered if the EV ZXa1-90 would be a bit more "present".

Although they all have their fans, my feeling was that the DXR did indeed sound slightly "scooped out" in part of the midrange, while the QSC K8 had a bit of a honky peak, and I settled goldilocks-style on the ZXa1 which sounded closest to just right. Though I'm impressed by the KSC K8.2, and hope to get a chance to try out the EV ELX200-10P.

#2901137 - 01/10/18 10:53 AM Re: Which speakers to use for playing small coffee house? [Re: AnotherScott]
cphollis Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Massachussets, Florida
<$500? That's tough, but not impossible.

A second DXR8 (used), mounted on poles. Not sure if you could find a used SSv3 for that little, but it's possible.

Keys: NP2, NS3C
Home: Bosie 200, Yam AG N3
Amps: FA 12acs, RCF TT08as, QSC K.2s, EVOX J8, SSv3
Stuff: Stay stands, Key Largo, Vent II, X-Air 18

#2901141 - 01/10/18 11:18 AM Re: Which speakers to use for playing small coffee house? [Re: AnotherScott]
simajanpa Offline

Well since I already have a mixer and DXR8 I don't think I'd go the Spacestation route, and I've have not heard glowing reports here on how wonderfully they reproduce AP sounds.

"Hardware" do you happen to remember which model RCF you saw and liked?

Scott, I remember reading a prior post about your finding here and going for the ZXA1 over the other choices. I have tried the original QSC K10 and I thought that the DXR8 was "smoother" sounding. I briefly tried out a QSC K8.2 in the store when picking up my Stage 3c and it was hard for me to really get a good sonic feel there in the store for it, and it's too rich for my budget anyway.

I was just fiddling around with my setup in the basement, and tried using the DXR8 on the right channel and my cheap RA 8" 2 way ref monitor on the left channel. Just that made all the difference in the sound. Not that I would or could use that monitor to play out with, but I came away thinking two things, (1) Maybe it would sound fine if I used a different brand of speaker to pair with the DXR8 and (2) Maybe it's just a stereo thing, and no single speaker solution will ever sound as nice
as stereo setup.
I wish someone close to me had an ZXA1 for me to try out before I pulled the trigger on one.

I do realize that having a matched pair of speakers would be easier to sell one day, but I might take my chances on that one.

I'm going to watch the ads and see what comes up first for the right price, if it's an EV...fine if it's another DXR8 fine too.

Thanks All

Paul

#2901145 - 01/10/18 11:27 AM Re: Which speakers to use for playing small coffee house? [Re: simajanpa]
10k Club

(1) Maybe it would sound fine if I used a different brand of speaker to pair with the DXR8 and (2) Maybe it's just a stereo thing, and no single speaker solution will ever sound as nice as stereo setup.

pretty much yes and yes, imo. Two different speakers is not deadly, The biggest issue is that, if you're applying EQ to get the best possible sound out of one speaker, well, whatever you do to make it sound a little better in one speaker could be the wrong adjustment for the other. But it should be workable. And yes, stereo is nice, and people have commonly said it's an especially noticeable difference with Nord. I'm still mono myself, out of laziness. ;-)

#2901164 - 01/10/18 12:50 PM Re: Which speakers to use for playing small coffee house? [Re: AnotherScott]
simajanpa Offline

Scott: You are correct with the EQ thing with different speakers, but as said, could be worked around.
Do you find the ZXA1 noisy/hissy at idle, without being loaded?
I read a post that said that was an issue, I do find the DXR8s very quiet at idle.

The hunt is on for a good deal on an EV or Yamaha, I just don't know anything about the RCF to make a good call on them.
ART 708-A MK4 can be bought used for under $500ea.

We'll see

Paul

Edited by simajanpa (01/10/18 04:23 PM)

#2901283 - 01/10/18 08:42 PM Re: Which speakers to use for playing small coffee house? [Re: simajanpa]
Synthaholic Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Proud Resister of 2nd helpings
If the Spacestation isn't your thing you might want to look for a used pair of JBL EON 510. Mine sound great with AP. There's a Bass Boost switch, also, for more bottom. And at 16 lbs they're small enough to fit in tight spaces.

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

#2901311 - 01/11/18 05:16 AM Re: Which speakers to use for playing small coffee house? [Re: Synthaholic]
simajanpa Offline

Originally Posted By: Synthaholic
If the Spacestation isn't your thing you might want to look for a used pair of JBL EON 510. Mine sound great with AP. There's a Bass Boost switch, also, for more bottom. And at 16 lbs they're small enough to fit in tight spaces.

Those are now discontinued and replaced by the 610 series, which I had briefly and returned. I didn't like the sound of those at all.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Paul

#2901345 - 01/11/18 07:33 AM Re: Which speakers to use for playing small coffee house? [Re: simajanpa]
Moses2 Offline

I'm enjoying the SSv3 with both my Roland FP50 and Yamaha MOXF8 for small venues with a bass player doing a jazz gig. Mostly AP and EP with some strings. I use it on it's side angled up with a rubber wheel chock and the side firing 6 reflecting off of the floor. When there's room, I use a pair of K8.2s with the default setting. Both arrangements sound great to me, and I have had nothing but positive feedback from audiences. Check out my home page for the setup.

#2901395 - 01/11/18 09:15 AM Re: Which speakers to use for playing small coffee house? [Re: Moses2]
SteinwayB Offline

I bring 2 RCF TT08a's and place them in wedge position on either side of me aimed toward me. Would probably be better on poles set several feet behind me but there is never enough room for that.

#2901419 - 01/11/18 10:48 AM Re: Which speakers to use for playing small coffee house? [Re: SteinwayB]
simajanpa Offline

Originally Posted By: SteinwayB
I bring 2 RCF TT08a's and place them in wedge position on either side of me aimed toward me. Would probably be better on poles set several feet behind me but there is never enough room for that.

Oh I'd love me some TT08s but sorry not on this mans retirement budget.
Same goes for a SSV or QSC K8.2 they are just too expensive.
Remember I just bought a Stage3c, so I'm PFB right now.

Paul

Edited by simajanpa (01/11/18 10:53 AM)

#2901421 - 01/11/18 11:06 AM Re: Which speakers to use for playing small coffee house? [Re: simajanpa]
Stokely Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Florida
I use IEMs at gigs now, but at practice I just bring one of my cheapie "ebay specials" powered speakers. Lately I forgot it and the bassist (owns the PA) said "we have the mains here, just use one of the top speakers." Our new mains are QSC k10.2s (we have subs as well).

Wow. I was floored at how good that speaker sounded. Piano is always an "amp killer" IMO and it sounded crisp and clear.

I know those aren't cheap--and I always try to cheap my way out!--but if I was using a speaker at most gigs I would strongly consider a K2 series (maybe the 8, maybe the 10). I've used mackie thumps, behringers and others along with a couple amps over the years, and none of them got close to that clarity.

Edited by Stokely (01/11/18 11:07 AM)

#2901422 - 01/11/18 11:10 AM Re: Which speakers to use for playing small coffee house? [Re: simajanpa]
ProfD Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Wash DC Area
My recommendation would be to find another Yamaha DXR8.

The NS3 AP patch should sound better once dialed in on the ZEDFX6 mixer and DXR8 speakers. If not, consider adding an outboard EQ. cool

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

#2901485 - 01/11/18 06:57 PM Re: Which speakers to use for playing small coffee house? [Re: ProfD]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Well, if you had a budget, we could have a wonderful conversation smile

#2901542 - 01/12/18 05:56 AM Re: Which speakers to use for playing small coffee house? [Re: cphollis]
simajanpa Offline

Originally Posted By: cphollis
Well, if you had a budget, we could have a wonderful conversation smile

More money, more talent, more (better) health, all these things would be nice.

But for now probably just a DXR8 will have to do it for me.

Paul

#2901557 - 01/12/18 06:55 AM Re: Which speakers to use for playing small coffee house? [Re: simajanpa]
tfort Online   content

The K8.2 can be had for about the same money as a DXR8 if you have a coupon code at some internet retailers. Points to use towards next purchase also.

#2901565 - 01/12/18 07:01 AM Re: Which speakers to use for playing small coffee house? [Re: tfort]
10k Club

clarification to my post above: I never played through a DXR8, the one I used was the DXR10.

#2901673 - 01/12/18 01:30 PM Re: Which speakers to use for playing small coffee house? [Re: AnotherScott]
simajanpa Offline

So as with every decision of this type, I finally took the safe and sane route and just bought a matching open box DXR8.

I get this speaker next week some time and I'll dial it in and see how it goes. How bad can the sound be with this setup, it probably won't suck at all....I'll report back smile

Thanks for all your input.

Paul

#2901675 - 01/12/18 01:34 PM Re: Which speakers to use for playing small coffee house? [Re: AnotherScott]
dreamer65 Offline

Even two DXR10 won't do the Nord's AP justice. Sold them. Made local DJ happy. Bought a LD Curv 500 stereo. Better but not superior. Search goes on. The RCF TT08 are the best but not dead quiet. I'll give the QSC 8.2 a shot soon.

#2901702 - 01/12/18 05:12 PM Re: Which speakers to use for playing small coffee house? [Re: simajanpa]
Clawback Online   happy
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Victoria BC, Canada
So as with every decision of this type, I finally took the safe and sane route and just bought a matching open box DXR8.

I get this speaker next week some time and I'll dial it in and see how it goes. How bad can the sound be with this setup, it probably won't suck at all....I'll report back smile

Paul

Paul: You absolutely did the right thing and it will not suck. Have a great gig.

#2901717 - 01/12/18 06:26 PM Re: Which speakers to use for playing small coffee house? [Re: Clawback]
justin_havu Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Somersworth, NH
I use a pair of Alto TS212's. Affordable, clean sounding, and lightweight. If I'm playing through a house PA, I'll bring one of them to monitor my keyboards.

#2901727 - 01/12/18 07:35 PM Re: Which speakers to use for playing small coffee house? [Re: simajanpa]
slaygetter Offline
Gold Member

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Sounds like you've got your setup, good luck. All I can add is to be careful about using the sound company that ran the Stevie Wonder House of Toys concert.

#2901735 - 01/12/18 09:14 PM Re: Which speakers to use for playing small coffee house? [Re: simajanpa]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Paul

Good call. Let us know how they go?

#2901736 - 01/12/18 09:17 PM Re: Which speakers to use for playing small coffee house? [Re: dreamer65]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: dreamer65
Even two DXR10 won't do the Nord's AP justice. Sold them. Made local DJ happy. Bought a LD Curv 500 stereo. Better but not superior. Search goes on. The RCF TT08 are the best but not dead quiet. I'll give the QSC 8.2 a shot soon.

The DXRs are pretty good bang for buck with Nord APs. I wouldn't kick them out of bed. I don't own a pair, but I've played through them and found them sufficiently musical.

Don't understand the "dead quiet" thing as I've never had an issue with my RCF TT08as. I haven't listened closely to my K8.2s but I wouldn't expect them to be quieter. If I did have an issue, I'd buy noise gates and that would be that.

I'll restate my earlier claim: I think the K8.2s are 85% or more of the RCFs at less than half the price.

If you're in to stupid money amplification, drop me a PM. We can have a chat.

Although I'm trying to wean myself off of the expensive drugs.

#2901762 - 01/13/18 05:24 AM Re: Which speakers to use for playing small coffee house? [Re: cphollis]
simajanpa Offline

Well it only cost me $827(new open box)for the two DXR8s and the A&H Zed6fx all in, so this setup didn't break my bank to badly. As we all know there are always better options out there but it's an expensive ordeal to go through. Again for what I will be doing, this will more than do it for me.

Paul

Edited by simajanpa (01/13/18 05:30 AM)

#2901832 - 01/13/18 11:12 AM Re: Which speakers to use for playing small coffee house? [Re: simajanpa]
stoken6 Offline
Platinum Member

I think you made the right decision Paul. No reason why the Nord shouldn't sound nice through those speakers.

Cheers, Mike.

#2901837 - 01/13/18 11:51 AM Re: Which speakers to use for playing small coffee house? [Re: simajanpa]
rockinroller Offline

Loc: Motown
IMO those Yamaha DXR series speakers are the best you can get for the money. One more added to your existing one would create a nice balance. Maybe your issue with finding the existing DXR to sound "hollow" stems more from your mixer setting in between the keyboard and the live output. I have not found a powered speaker to date (and I've tried a TON of them) that meets my expectations without a mixer having at least a 3-band EQ connected between my keys and the speaker. I use a DXR 12 with a Samson 6 channel mixer and my two Artis boards and can always dial in the sound I am looking for regardless of the environment.
Samson 6 channel mixer

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Grave Bryce, Stephen Fortner