Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2900868 - 01/09/18 11:09 AM NPD - used EHX Memory Boy w/bonus chip!
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
Sometimes you just get lucky . . .

I went out to buy myself an early birthday present. The nearby GC had a used EHX Memory Boy that I'd been watching since before Christmas, and I'd been wanting an Analog Delay for a while. I finally went out to buy it today, brought it home, plugged it in, and all is good, but . . . somehow, it just seemed like a longer Delay time than I expected?

The Memory Boy is supposed to max out at 550ms, but when I plugged in a Digital Delay with a display, and checked the Delay Time, they locked in together at 750ms?!?!?!?

Just for the heck of it, I called EHX in New York, and talked to one of their tech guys, who said, yes, it was possible that some of the BBD chips they used had slightly longer Delay times, so, if you're looking at a Memory Boy, it might be worthwhile to A/B a couple of them with the Delay knob maxed out, and see what you get.

http://www.novparolo.com

GP Island
#2900886 - 01/09/18 12:25 PM Re: NPD - used EHX Memory Boy w/bonus chip! [Re: Winston Psmith]
Danzilla Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Nice! Happy Pre-B Day to ya!

I have the Deluxe Memory Boy with tap tempo. I'll have to max it out and see what I can come up with. How would a layman go about determining the actual ms of delay?

#2901048 - 01/10/18 05:49 AM Re: NPD - used EHX Memory Boy w/bonus chip! [Re: Danzilla]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Danzilla
How would a layman go about determining the actual ms of delay?

@Danzilla - What I did was to plug the Memory Boy into another Delay box that displays the Delay Time, and then adjusted the Delay Time on the second box until they synced up. Otherwise, I'd just have been guessing based on what I heard. I knew it was longer than 550 ms, but until I did my experiment, I didn't know how much longer. Even now, I may be off by a few milliseconds either way, but no more than that.

While I was looking into this, I found a post from someone who seems to be an EE, who was taking apart a non-working Memory Boy. This person wrote that given the number and type of BBD's used in the Memory Boy, it was possible to have up to 800ms of Delay, depending on how the BBD's were biased, which ties in with what the folks at EHX told me. One time lax QC worked out to my advantage . . .

#2901117 - 01/10/18 09:37 AM Re: NPD - used EHX Memory Boy w/bonus chip! [Re: Winston Psmith]
p90jr Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I am a Deluxe Memory Man/Deluxe Memory Boy disciple. Good score, and very cool about the chip... which is in keeping with the old EH company... inconsistent magic!!!

#2902846 - 01/17/18 01:27 PM Re: NPD - used EHX Memory Boy w/bonus chip! [Re: p90jr]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

The Further Adventures of Memory Boy!

Our story so far . . .

About a week ago, I got the used Memory Boy at the nearby GC, plugged it in and got a surprising 750ms of Delay out of it? Admittedly, the HF roll-off was pretty quick, but I figured it was voiced that way. All good, right?

Moving on, I realized that I'd been using a 1 Spot, which puts out a whopping 1.7 Amps of power, and I wondered what would happen if I used a more standard 200mA power supply, like EHX ships with some of their pedals. I plugged in a nice regulated 200mA power supply, dimed out the Delay knob, and heard a rude croaking sound in response. Dialing back to about 3 o'clock, I got a rather noisy 500ms or so out of it, but pushing the dial past that point, I got that same choked-off sound. I suspect I would have gotten the same result using my VooDoo Lab PP2+ on my pedalboard, which is how I was going to use it. I expect I would have even worse results with a daisy-chain.

It's possible that the previous user beat the life out this box, although it really doesn't look like it. No real loss, I'll return it tomorrow, put that money towards something else. The sad part is, they'll probably put it back on the sales floor, right after I return it.

#2902864 - 01/17/18 02:49 PM Re: NPD - used EHX Memory Boy w/bonus chip! [Re: Winston Psmith]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
Sigh. Better luck next time!

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

#2902910 - 01/17/18 07:21 PM Re: NPD - used EHX Memory Boy w/bonus chip! [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Loc: Northern California
Sorry to hear this Winston...I'm surprised to hear that it worked with the 1spot and would not work with the 200ma power supply which is normal. Pedals usually draw what they need power wise and there is a problem if not enough power is supplied...it would seem the 1-Spot was allowing the pedal to draw more than it should need to work properly. I hope GC shares your reason for the return with the next buyer. cool

#2902997 - 01/18/18 07:28 AM Re: NPD - used EHX Memory Boy w/bonus chip! [Re: Larryz]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Larryz
Sorry to hear this Winston...I'm surprised to hear that it worked with the 1spot and would not work with the 200ma power supply which is normal. Pedals usually draw what they need power wise and there is a problem if not enough power is supplied...it would seem the 1-Spot was allowing the pedal to draw more than it should need to work properly. I hope GC shares your reason for the return with the next buyer. cool

@Larryz - I did some further experimenting, and found that it behaved differently with different power supplies?!?!? FWIW, EHX rates their standard 200mA power supply at 9.6 volts, instead of 9. It behaved somewhat better with an EHX PS off of another pedal, but still questionable. If I had to buy an EHX PS for it, I'd be close enough to the price of a new one that there'd be no point in keeping this one, especially if I can't count on it with my PP2+.

I've used the 1 Spots to power other low current draw pedals, and never had one do anything like this. Like you say, most pedals will draw the power they need, and that's pretty much it. No real loss, and I got to use my investigative skills, so in a sense, it was a good experiment.

#2903024 - 01/18/18 08:44 AM Re: NPD - used EHX Memory Boy w/bonus chip! [Re: Winston Psmith]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

"Unregulated power adapters are rarely run at their full capacity, which means that their actual voltage will typically be 20-30% higher than their rated voltage. A 9VDC unregulated adapter will usually be closer to 12VDC. If the effect doesn’t run from a battery, it probably requires more than 100mA and should be operated from output 5 or 6 with the switch away from NORMAL."

Found this in the VooDoo PP2+ manual, just incase you want to give it a try... cool

#2903045 - 01/18/18 09:33 AM Re: NPD - used EHX Memory Boy w/bonus chip! [Re: Larryz]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

@Larryz - +1 on that.

I tend to use those high-output jacks for digital pedals. It also seems odd to have to use a jack that'll power a Line 6 DL4, or one of the Boss Twin Pedals?

Having the pedal vary so widely in performance among different Power supplies made me leery of having it die altogether, probably right when the 45-day Return period would have run out.

#2903076 - 01/18/18 10:25 AM Re: NPD - used EHX Memory Boy w/bonus chip! [Re: Winston Psmith]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

+1 Winston, I would take it back even if it does work on the PP2+ as it should also work on the other power supplies with at least 200ma. It shows there is probably something not working right which is probably why the guy sold it via GC. GC should take it off the shelf IMHO. My Boss Wall Warts are 200ma and they have always run all of my 9v pedals with no problems. I Liked using the 1-spot. Some pedals like my Fender Floor and my Digitec Looper and my Cube Street amp all have special power supplies, to include my 18volt Chorus pedal (that I never use without the wart)...so, from the looks of things, I don't think I would trust that Memory Boy pedal either... cool

ps. Looks like a happy birthday is in order, so HAPPY BIRTHDAY! thu

Edited by Larryz (01/18/18 10:32 AM)
Edit Reason: ps.

#2905421 - 01/28/18 05:16 PM Re: NPD - used EHX Memory Boy w/bonus chip! [Re: Larryz]
picker Offline
10k Club

Loc: Near 12th Street and Vine...
Hmmm. E/H pedals...in the words of FZ, "Cheepness"...

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose