Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2900871 - 01/09/18 11:23 AM Re: Semi OT Ear wax and getting your ears syringed [Re: CowboyNQ]
sagetunes Offline

Loc: Rhode Island
Originally Posted By: CowboyNQ
Mark, I've had to get my ears regularly (every couple of years or so) syringed my entire life. In my case it's to do with unusually narrow ear canals.

Can't answer your question about hair growth, but apart from the minor discomfort, it's never been a drama.

I've got the same thing---my ear canals are shaped in such a way that it collects wax, and only the syringe irrigation works. It feels awesome to me, and I can hear so much better once its done---clean crisp highs. The first time I had it done was when I was 20---the doc blasted 20 years of wax out of my head, about the size of a Titleist. Tremendous.

KC Island
#2900880 - 01/09/18 12:07 PM Re: Semi OT Ear wax and getting your ears syringed [Re: El Lobo]
SteinwayB Offline

OK all, I'm an otolaryngologist so wax is my life. Here is my professional take on ear wax:

1. wax is normal and maintains an anti-bacterial pH and prevents drying out of the skin
2. most ears have an effective natural cleansing mechanism where skin and wax are automatically ejected from the ear canal
3. Anything you do to try to clean the ears is likely to impair the above mechanism and make matters worse
4. Most people never need to clean their ears but there is a small population that need to clean them and the proper timing and treatment is a matter of trial and error; some patients I see annually, some I see every 2 months. Home remedies like Debrox and hydrogen peroxide can be helpful for troublesome wax but many times makes it worse by liquefying the wax causing it to run inwards onto the eardrum.
5. Irrigation of the ears in the PCP's office can be dangerous if the pressure is too high and can cause laceration of the canal skin or eardrum perforation; best have it done by an ENT
6. FINALLY: DON'T USE CANDLES!!! They have been proven ineffective and I've seen many burns as a result. What may look like wax sucked out of the ear is actually residue of the candle. It is a dangerous scam.

#2900881 - 01/09/18 12:10 PM Re: Semi OT Ear wax and getting your ears syringed [Re: SteinwayB]
El Lobo Offline
Gold Member

Thank you, SteinwayB

#2900913 - 01/09/18 01:53 PM Re: Semi OT Ear wax and getting your ears syringed [Re: SteinwayB]
Synthoid Offline
10k Club

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted By: SteinwayB
6. FINALLY: DON'T USE CANDLES!!! They have been proven ineffective and I've seen many burns as a result. What may look like wax sucked out of the ear is actually residue of the candle. It is a dangerous scam.

thu

#2900929 - 01/09/18 02:44 PM Re: Semi OT Ear wax and getting your ears syringed [Re: Synthoid]
zukskywalker Offline

Loc: Washington DC
Slightly OT but still about ears.
I've been waiting for the opportunity to ask this question:
Can everybody else "click" their ears? You know, the type of thing you do when on a plane by pinching your nose and "blowing".
I can "pop" my ears without pinching my nose and do it all the time.(I'm left handed so the left ear pops easier.)
Is this common or am I one of Xavier's people?

Edited by zukskywalker (01/09/18 02:44 PM)

#2900942 - 01/09/18 03:43 PM Re: Semi OT Ear wax and getting your ears syringed [Re: zukskywalker]
Synthoid Offline
10k Club

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted By: zukskywalker
Can everybody else "click" their ears? You know, the type of thing you do when on a plane by pinching your nose and "blowing".

Yup, although it is illegal in some states.

#2900947 - 01/09/18 04:08 PM Re: Semi OT Ear wax and getting your ears syringed [Re: Synthoid]
El Lobo Offline
Gold Member

Can you wiggle your ears? I can. Not a lot of call for it, though.

#2900954 - 01/09/18 04:53 PM Re: Semi OT Ear wax and getting your ears syringed [Re: AnotherScott]
DulceLabs.com Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: CLASSIFIED
Originally Posted By: AnotherScott
Originally Posted By: Reezekeys
I had another doc tell me that earwax buildup is NOT related to any defense against loud sounds.

Could be, I'm not a doctor. Though getting back to what markay said, I think I've sometimes noticed more wax buildup after loud gigs. But I can't swear to cause-and-effect.

My theory: While loud noises may not cause earwax build up, it could move the wax around a bit, especially if your body temp is raised... Wax gets a little softer from the heat and the vibrations in the inner ear move it a place where it causes issues with your hearing.

Agree totally with not obsessing - ear wax is good stuff. I just tackle it every couple of years when my ears get plugged.

#2901037 - 01/10/18 03:50 AM Re: Semi OT Ear wax and getting your ears syringed [Re: timwat]
Markay Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Australia
Originally Posted By: timwat
Research scientists at the Mayo Clinic have suggested that wax production is largely a response to irritation. Hence the presence of objects in the ear canal (like hearing aids, IEMs, etc) exacerbate or increase the normal production of wax. There is limited evidence that environmental factors (e.g., prolonged exposure to loud noise, concert-level SPLs and the like) contribute to greater-than-normal wax production, but results are inconclusive.

The more surprising results of the research seem to indicate that irritation in a manifold set of arenas also contribute to wax production. It has observed for at least a decade, for example, that honey bee populations in the United States (which have typically been used as a natural aid to crop pollination by commercial farmers) has been declining in alarming levels, and as such at least some research has identified a correlation between decreased bee populations and increased wax production, one presumes as a sympathetic response to external stimuli.

Recently, two major shareholders of Apple stock have requested the company pursue additional research to study the detrimental effects of smartphone usage amongst children and youth. We doubt the timing of such is in any way coincidental (one might posit "providential" instead) with the increase in general wax buildup, and are hopeful the research identifies a causal link.

Finally, the pervasive nature that social media and the "dopamine-hit" processes by which Facebook, Instagram and Tinder have insinuated their way into collective consciousness (one might suggest our collective cultural psyche) are thought by many to be at least a tertiary cause of exponential levels of wax production, as is the prolonged contact with others whom we find disagree (sometimes vehemently) with our own political leanings, worldview and meta narrative.

As such, we would deem excess wax buildup to be a leading indicator of irritation, in a virtual panoply of physical, proximal and life environmental theaters. One hopes that for the love of all that is holy, that we would find a way to make it stop...just make it stop.

Irritable keyboard player + social media = ear wax overload.

The good news? Reduced demand for EpiPens in the irritable keyboard player population who experience anaphylaxis when stung by a bee.

#2901055 - 01/10/18 06:26 AM Re: Semi OT Ear wax and getting your ears syringed [Re: Markay]
The Real MC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Secluded Tranquil NY Wine Coun...
A few years ago there was brief periods of sharp pain in my ear & I went to the doctor that day. They found a live bug in there making a meal out of my ear. Damn thing had crawled in there during the night. I don't wear the hearing aid while I sleep, and it got trapped in there during the day while I wore the aid.

About twenty years ago I remember stirring awake in the morning and hearing a rustling in my ear canal. Spider crawled out of it. No damage but that was unnerving...

...but ten years later I did have mysterious damage to my lower leg. There was a wound there that wouldn't heal. Then one night while getting ready for bed I pulled back the covers and found an ugly spider, which promptly got flushed down the toilet. The wound healed after that. Damn spider had been making a meal out of my leg during the night, and I never felt it.

I'm just fodder for the insects. I guess I'm safe as long as there are no maggots.

#2901281 - 01/10/18 08:22 PM Re: Semi OT Ear wax and getting your ears syringed [Re: The Real MC]
Synthaholic Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Where the wild things are
OK, story time.

Around 1984 my band was playing in Naples, Fl. After the gig I was sitting in a booth across from a pretty thing having a nice conversation, when BAM! - I got sucker-punched by a 275lbs mountain of an Indian (the Native American variety) who was drunk. Apparently this was his ex-girlfriend, or so he thought. It resulted in TMJ that still bothers me. OK - hold that thought.

Around 1990 I took a few months off from the road and went to visit my mom. Foolishly, I went swimming in her pool using those foam earplugs, thinking they would do just fine. Instead, they totally clogged up my ears. The next day I went to the only ear doctor who could fit me in that day. He streamed ice cold water into my ears to solidify the wax, then pulled them out in chunks. Painful. Also made me dizzy enough that I had to lie down for 30 minutes before I could leave.

Late 1990s I went to my ENT for an audiology test, because my hearing had suffered. I assumed it was from a lifetime of playing in loud bands, but he said no, it graphed more like it was genetic, so blame mom & dad.

I lived with this feeling of always being clogged, like having water in my ears, for the next 15 years. A friend, as a joke, referred Beltone to me - I STILL get mailings from them.

About 4 years ago I went to see a new chiropractor. She's talking to me but turns her back to do something and I say "Doctor, when you aren't facing me I have a hard time understanding what you're saying" and explained my situ. She says "Have you ever had your pterygoid checked?" "My what?" She had me lay down, she put on those blue gloves and put her finger way down the side of my mouth, past my teeth, and started to massage my pterygoid muscle. I've gotta tell you, it's the most painful thing I've ever felt. It's all soft tissue in there and it hurts like a mofo. BUT - when she finished it was like I had new ears. I could hear everything. I went home and instead of having the TV at 38 I had it at 19 and could hear it fine. The problem is the effect only lasts a few days, then the pterygoid swells again. I don't have the money or desire to have that done twice weekly, so I live with it. But it's all due to that sucker-punch. I'm also still pissed that my ENT, who has been practicing for 30 years, had no clue.

So if you always feel clogged, or if you have TMJ, get your pterygoid checked!

That's my story.

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

#2901289 - 01/10/18 10:08 PM Re: Semi OT Ear wax and getting your ears syringed [Re: Synthaholic]
Markay Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

That's sad that you have this long lasting effect of a drunken assault. Have you consulted a Doc or had x-rays to see if there is something putting pressure on your pterygoid causing the swelling?

#2901488 - 01/11/18 07:10 PM Re: Semi OT Ear wax and getting your ears syringed [Re: Markay]
Synthaholic Offline
Platinum Member

The pressure is from my clicking jaw, from the TMJ. I havenít had it x-rayed. Iíve tried mouth guards for sleeping, to try to get the pterygoid to relax, but they are very difficult to get used to.

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

#2901533 - 01/12/18 04:53 AM Re: Semi OT Ear wax and getting your ears syringed [Re: Synthaholic]
Markay Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I can imagine how uncomfortable that would be. Sincerely hope that a more permanent solution can be found.

#2901643 - 01/12/18 11:06 AM Re: Semi OT Ear wax and getting your ears syringed [Re: Markay]
Synthaholic Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: Markay
I can imagine how uncomfortable that would be. Sincerely hope that a more permanent solution can be found.

Thanks, mate. Actually, this thread has prompted me to get a little more proactive with my TMJ. My current chiropractor is a wiz. Always going to conferences to learn the latest techniques. The best Iíve ever seen. Heís practically fixed my jaw misalignment, although that doesnít necessarily fix the TMJ.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner