Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Behringer OB-Xa

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys are raping derailing/ruining/laying waste to my thread. You know that, right? :facepalm:

Please reconsider how you use the word "rape". I know you probably didn't mean any harm.

My apologies.

In a manner of speaking however, my usage was correct:

From https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/rape :

transitive verb

1 a archaic : to seize and take away by force

b : despoil

My intent was a slang off the archaic verb, and in context, I'd wager fairly apparent to the reader.

No-one holds more compassion for victims nor contempt for perpetrators than I.

~ Bill Costigan

Gear:

Hardware: Nord Stage3, Korg Kronos 2, Novation Summit

Software: Cantabile 3, Halion Sonic 3 and assorted VST plug-ins.

Ill be getting Shears OB-X.

The newest model has significant upgrades according to the latest pdf.

Have we heard anything lately about this project? It seems there was a lot of hype immediately post NAMM, but now it has been quiet for the better part of a year...

I posted about it the the NAMM speculation thread. (NAMMticipation)

I THOUGHT I saw it somewhere but was looking at thread titles, then resorted to the google search but it didn't turn up.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I THOUGHT I saw it somewhere but was looking at thread titles, then resorted to the google search but it didn't turn up.

https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2895241/4/Winter_NAMM_2018_Warmup_NAMMti

post 2900546

:nopity:

https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2895241/4/Winter_NAMM_2018_Warmup_NAMMti

post 2900546

That says nothing at all about the Behringer UB-Xa, only that Shear Electronics was not showing up to NAMM.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Wish they would go all out and try for a Matrix 12.

Reminds me of the following quote:

"Both the Matrix-12 and Xpander take the expression "greater than a sum of it's parts" to total extremety bordering on preposterous, how OB got a pile of cheap rubbish to sound this good is completely beyond comprehension."

I notice people dont seem as concerned when some startup/kick starter comes out with a cloned Mini Moog, ARP 2600, CS80, etc, but when Behringer does it, suddenly theres gnashing of teeth. A feel good, Samson v. Goliath-based ethics is groundless, IMO.

+1

Though I admit I feel just a bit of naughty delight when I read about the UB-Xa, given what I know of what Gibson did to Oberheim.

I notice people dont seem as concerned when some startup/kick starter comes out with a cloned Mini Moog, ARP 2600, CS80, etc, but when Behringer does it, suddenly theres gnashing of teeth. A feel good, Samson v. Goliath-based ethics is groundless, IMO.

+1

Though I admit I feel just a bit of naughty delight when I read about the UB-Xa, given what I know of what Gibson did to Oberheim.

+2!

I agree as well!!

Yamaha MODX8, Korg Kronos 2 61, Hammond B3, Novation 61SL MKII, Impulse 61, Roland D-550, Proteus 2000, etc......to name a few.

That says nothing at all about the Behringer UB-Xa, only that Shear Electronics was not showing up to NAMM.

Hey Dan, I was responding to Marzzz asking about Shear Electronics in the post directly above mine. It was OT. Sorry for the confusion.

Carry on. :thu:

:nopity:

Agree with these points.

Whether or not someone creates a decent clone of the OB-Xa, it has no bearing on my decision to buy or not buy the DSI OB-6. As much as I love the sound of the instrument, I will most likely never buy one, as I cannot justify the cost for a variety of reasons. Behringer bringing a clone to market does not sway that one bit.

From my perspective, they are not taking business away from Moog, DSI, Roland, whoever. The purchaser of an SE-02 or Boomstar was probably not looking at a Model D reissue due to the cost anyway.

It's actually great to see they have the desire and means to bring a replica of a beloved product back to the marketplace.

I'll be watching with interest although probably not with bated breath. I do love that the first reply on the GS thread is along the lines of "Yeah but I'd prefer a 2600"! We really don't deserve nice things.

But one cannot play Jump or early 80s songs by Prince and The Time on a 2600. ;)

Just read the post in the other forum from the horse's mouth. Looks like this is going to happen.

After wading through several paragraphs of self-promotion, here's a few things that caught my attention:

It's being developed by Pete and Rob of the Midas team in the UK, not the anonymous team in China that developed the Behringer D.

Feature set is under discussion, so it may go beyond a 1:1 clone. Adding variable keyboard track to filter cutoff maybe? Yes please! :laugh: And while you're at it Uli, variable level control of OSC 2 would be a nice improvement over the original.

This is a side project that these guys are working on in their spare time, and we shouldn't expect anything for at least a year. They will be posting videos of their progress though - first one due in about a week.

This is kinda cool, and why not I guess. They've got nothing to hide. It's an OB-Xa clone.

Feature set is under discussion, so it may go beyond a 1:1 clone. Adding variable keyboard track to filter cutoff maybe? Yes please! :laugh: And while you're at it Uli, variable level control of OSC 2 would be a nice improvement over the original.

And of course the obligatory WiFi and Microsoft Hololens support.

^ Nah :laugh: I was thinking more along the lines of waving the magic Uli wand, and changing the row of buttons under the filter knobs into knobs as well. It's something I always wished for back in the day.

http://www.siliconbreakdown.com/AANewImages/OBXaPanel4.jpg

Extra credit for a variable state filter :thu: But to preserve the authenticity of the OB-Xa sound you'd probably have to keep that a switch.

Interesting.

I love vintage Oberheim's, but I'm not a fan of Behringer's business practices (reverse engineering and offshoring). I'd be more excited if Tom himself was doing it, or Dave Smith was tackling it.

I'm sure a Tom version wouldn't be cheap, but a modern recreation with velocity and aftertouch, etc. would be a bad-ass board.

Sundown

Working on: The Jupiter Bluff; Driven Away

Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361

DAW Platform: Cubase

I'd be more excited if Tom himself was doing it, or Dave Smith was tackling it.

I like what I've heard of their collaboration (DSI OB-6) but as you've implied, it's not cheap enough to be a casual/impulse buy.

There's also Shear's OB-Xa clone, which unlike the OB-6 is probably truer to the original design. But it's looking to be priced just as high as the OB-6, if not more. It does offer 8-voice bitimbral vs the OB-6's 6 monotimbral.

Maybe someday I'll treat myself to one of those...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Uli wants feedback on preference for desktop vs. key'd versions, etc.

http://ww2.sonicftp.com/news/images/29605_77.jpg

"Uli Behringer has been posting in Gearslutz, providing an update on the status of the planned Behringer UB-Xa synth and is asking potential users for input. Heres what he has to say

Aside from the earlier desktop version, many of you requested for a keyboard version of the UB-Xa synth and hence we thought we'd share some designs with you. We have asked our engineers to render a 5-octave keyboard version and use this opportunity to show you some of the insights how such a product is developed.

It all starts with the industrial design as well as definition and placement of all functional controls. Once this is completed, the next step is to transfer the "dxf" file which contain the component coordinates plus the artwork for the silk screen printing to the mechanical engineers.

Their job is now to translate the artwork into a fully functional design. In general this works quite smoothly but there are instances where mechanical conflicts arise and artwork changes are required. This collaboration between industrial designers as well as mechanical and system engineers gets more complicated whenever electrical or mechanical constraints come into play.

Over many decades our engineering teams have created a massive component library of close to 100,000 components which have been designed in a photo- and dimension-realistic manner.

This means that any product that is designed based on components from the library will automatically look and feel real, which helps us not only to shorten the design and review process but also skip all photography. As a result any changes can be done almost in real-time and there is no need for traditional photography anymore which is a huge time and cost saver. All our product images on our websites are renderings.

Today I am asking for your feedback in relation to the current design. Do you prefer a keyboard over a desktop version and if yes would you vote for a 4 or 5 octave version. Please remember that the actual features have not yet been decided as we're still gathering valuable input.

Thanks for your feedback.

Uli"

http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2018/02/16/what-style-of-behringer-ob-xa-clone-do-you-want/

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

• 1 year later...