Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2900585 - 01/08/18 12:23 PM Nashville Wiring
DocPate Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Virginia
Does anyone here use Nashville Wiring on a Telecaster and if so, was it the customary 3 pickup or a standard 2 pup variety?

GP Island
#2900590 - 01/08/18 12:40 PM Re: Nashville Wiring [Re: DocPate]
CEB Online   content
10k Club

If it is what I think it is then I use it on a Stratocaster. It is a wiring scheme for a 3 pickup Tele.

What Country guys call the Brent Mason wiring I call the Skunk Baxter wiring. Jeff Baxter used it first as far as I know. The wiring uses a 3 way switch. The three knobs are 1)Master volume for the bridge and neck pickup. 2) Tone control 3)Volume control for the middle pickup. With the middle pickup turned all the way down the switch works just like a Tele. The middle position is both neck and bridge. if you want the middle pickup then turn it up. It is even possible to just use the bridge or neck by itself then turn up the middle just enough to activate it but not loud enough to really hear. My middle pickup is a standard reverse wind so it cancels hum. I don't need noise canceling pickups I just use single coil Rio Grandes. This wiring lets the Strat to have 2 combinations not on a normal tele. 1) Just Neck and Bridge and 2) All 3 active. All 3 is cool for slide. It sounds really Leroy Parnell like to me. I wonder if he uses this also.

Edited by CEB (01/08/18 12:41 PM)

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!
So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

#2900606 - 01/08/18 01:11 PM Re: Nashville Wiring [Re: CEB]
DocPate Offline
Gold Member

Yes CEB. There are two trains of thoughts on the 3 pickup Teles. Brent Mason uses the middle position as a blend so as I understand it, you lose the control of the middle pup. The Fender custom shop method is to install a 5 position switch which gives back the middle pup control and eliminates the need for a third pot which is hard to fit into a standard Tele contrl plate.

I've never tried it, but it sounds good. Best of both the Tele.twang and Strat versatility.

#2900611 - 01/08/18 01:23 PM Re: Nashville Wiring [Re: DocPate]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Loc: Northern California
Mine was an MIM Nahville Tele that I sold to my brother. It had stock Tele pickups front and rear with a Strat pickup in the middle. Master Volume and Tone control with a 5-way the same as any Strat... cool

#2900621 - 01/08/18 01:45 PM Re: Nashville Wiring [Re: Larryz]
DocPate Offline
Gold Member

Ok Larry, why didn't you like it?

I'm really curious about what others think about a 3 pickup Tele. My thoughts are if you want a Telecaster, don't try to make a Strat.

#2900653 - 01/08/18 02:58 PM Re: Nashville Wiring [Re: DocPate]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
This is a new one for me.
At 1st I thought you were referring to that front humbucker thing but....

Anybody compared this to the FrankenTele that Steve Morse used in the Dixie Dregs ?

#2900662 - 01/08/18 03:41 PM Re: Nashville Wiring [Re: d]
DocPate Offline
Gold Member

D. Tell me more about the Morse guitar. I googled it and it appears to have 5 pickups?

#2900666 - 01/08/18 03:47 PM Re: Nashville Wiring [Re: DocPate]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Chk here tomorrow

#2900674 - 01/08/18 04:06 PM Re: Nashville Wiring [Re: d]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Phoenix Az
I do not have a Tele, so the only comment I can make on this thread is; I wire my Strat clone like the Nashville Tele seemingly is wired with the 5 position switch. On my Strat clone I removed the standard volume control, and the middle tone control, then I place the volume control half way between the old hole for the volume, and the old hole for the middle tone. I glued some real shiny dimes on the remaining empty holes on the Strat style pick guard. I rewired the tone control to work on all the pickups. I rarely (almost never) touch the tone control from full up, almost never using the tone control to do mute the highs at all.

OT; The only tone control I use @ about 20% is the front pickup on the SG, just to mitigate the pick attack on the cleans on that front pup. On all of my other guitars I never touch the tone control. I also wired my homemade that we talked about the other day, like the Nashville Tele with one volume one tone and 5 position switch
Harvey Cedars is my stage name on Soundclick

#2900676 - 01/08/18 04:13 PM Re: Nashville Wiring [Re: desertbluesman]
DocPate Offline
Gold Member

Great post DBM.

So,how would you compare the tone from your Telecaster when on the neck and/or bridge pickup? Does the neck pickup have the signature twang?

#2900735 - 01/08/18 09:38 PM Re: Nashville Wiring [Re: DocPate]
J. Dan Offline
Bannination Free Since '08
10k Club

Loc: St. Louis, MO
I've been in the back of my head thinking of re-wiring my HSS strat. It may be a bit off topic for this, but I just finished last week googling all kinds of different wirings.

So I have the 5 position switch and typical volume plus 2 tones. To offer some background I'm very used to my Explorer with 2 volumes and a tone and my 3-way switch. On that one, I have a pull switch to tap my neck pickup to single coil.

I was thinking something similar on my strat to have one tone and 2 volumes, or maybe even 3 volumes and no tone, and a pull switch to tap the humbucker to a single coil.

If you think I should break this into a new thread, I'd be happy to do so, but basically I'm curious your thoughts of alternate HSS strat wirings.

Ed, maybe next time I'm passing through on my way to Decatur I'll bring it and we could hang out for a bit.

Edited by J. Dan (01/08/18 09:42 PM)

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

#2900737 - 01/08/18 10:04 PM Re: Nashville Wiring [Re: DocPate]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: DocPate
Ok Larry, why didn't you like it?

I'm really curious about what others think about a 3 pickup Tele. My thoughts are if you want a Telecaster, don't try to make a Strat.

I never said I didn't like it, I just said I sold it LOL! I had two Teles one of them stock Made in the US and the other a Nashville MIM. I sold the Nashville to my brother as I didn't care for the old ash tray bridge plate. I like the wiring, feel and the sound even though to me it never did sound like a Strat. Close but no cigar. My stock Tele was a newer model with the flat cutaway bridge plate and the Strat style bridge saddles. It was very nice (much better than the Nashville). I sold it to my son-n-law and guess what he did? Yep, he put the old ash tray bridge on it with the 3 barrel saddles LOL! Oh well it was his to do with as he wished...both of them still sound and play great...

Me, I like the Strat better and have 3 of them in the closet with special wiring set ups. I really like the contour body on the Strat as opposed to the flat feel of the Tele. The newer Tele's now have contoured bodies but now I'm back to that old flat Les Paul taking up most of my time LOL! cool

Edited by Larryz (01/08/18 10:05 PM)

#2900738 - 01/08/18 10:18 PM Re: Nashville Wiring [Re: Larryz]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

@ J.Dan, I think it would be OK to include Strat wiring as it's part of the discussion anyway when talking about the Nashville setups with the middle Strat Pup. I have one Strat set up with two humbuckers, a 3way, two volumes and one master tone similar to your Explorer. I really like it. I have another Strat with the HSS set up with a 5 way and one master volume and one master tone with the volume set down a little lower from the E string which I really like...then one more Strat with 3 singles, 1 volume, one EXG and one SPC set up David Gilmour drop in. They are all 3 in black and white and all special to me...

Normally I don't get that much of a kick out of push pull for single vs humbucker, but in the HSS Strat I could see having it set up that way just to get back to a single at the bridge...before I did the Drop-in I had S1 switching which allowed me to do just that! I can put all 3 back to stock in 20 minutes as I saved the original pickguard with all the wiring still set up from the factory... cool

#2900798 - 01/09/18 06:25 AM Re: Nashville Wiring [Re: Larryz]
DocPate Offline
Gold Member

I agree with Larry. Feel free to discuss any alternative wirings. We're all here to learn.

#2900823 - 01/09/18 08:09 AM Re: Nashville Wiring [Re: DocPate]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: DocPate
D. Tell me more about the Morse guitar. I googled it and it appears to have 5 pickups?

Here's one of the best descriptions, straight from Morse himself.
http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/all-star-gear-steve-morses-frankenstein-telecaster-544071

#2900870 - 01/09/18 11:21 AM Re: Nashville Wiring [Re: d]
DocPate Offline
Gold Member

Thanks d.

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose