Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2899725 - 01/05/18 12:05 AM What does a SansAmp BDDI do?
EddiePlaysBass Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Belgium
When I bought my Orange Bass Terror, the seller told me this head loves pedals, and especially a SansAmp BDDI whoch got him "an incredible range of tones".

He was selling off his entire pedalboard for cheap and it would probably have been a great deal, too. However I did not have the money for it, and never considered pedals much.

But it made me wonder, what does the SansAmp do? I thought it was a DI-box. How would that affect the tone? What would be the added value of such a pedal?

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

BP Island
#2899750 - 01/05/18 05:22 AM Re: What does a SansAmp BDDI do? [Re: EddiePlaysBass]
lug Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: League City,TX,UNITED STATES
It's a box that basically replaces the preamp section of a traditional bass amp. Used quite often as a direct box to the board. Lots of recording studios will use one in place of or to supplement a mic'ed amp.
I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

#2899961 - 01/05/18 09:01 PM Re: What does a SansAmp BDDI do? [Re: lug]
J. Dan Offline
Bannination Free Since '08
10k Club

Loc: St. Louis, MO
I have the programmable version (click pic to view details):

The manual actually recommends knob settings to emulate various amps and styles. You can add a fair amount of grit with the drive knob if you want, along with the various EQ/presence settings and compression. Having the "programmable" version essentially gives you 3 settings you can go between, which I find is enough to cover my gigs. The only thing missing would be if you want to add outboard effects like Chorus.

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

#2900100 - 01/06/18 01:29 PM Re: What does a SansAmp BDDI do? [Re: J. Dan]
butcherNburn Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Onions Peppers Garlic
I have the same model as J. Dan and like it.
Use it as a DI, use it as a stompbox, it can be real good either way. One thing I'd really love to add to it is a headphone out for practice purposes. This would probably add about $100 though.

I do want to add that most tube amps, even one with a tube pre-amp, can get a whole lot of extra range by having something that will "push" the tubes, overdrive or otherwise increase the input signal. This is especially true with tube power amps (not the case here) and very "uncomplicated" amplifiers in general. Don't forget to play with the FX send/return on an amp because the position of an effect can alter the tone as well.

I just got a cheap, all tube, 12" guitar combo, from a place known for cheap cables. A cheap boost pedal expands the tonal range immensely, especially if you want it to roar.

If you are going into the studio don't count on the engineer letting you use one of these unless you have serious say in the matter. You may just end up going into a tried and true Country Man, and that's fine.

#2900415 - 01/07/18 11:26 PM Re: What does a SansAmp BDDI do? [Re: butcherNburn]
EddiePlaysBass Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

So it really never ends ... I have the perfect cab (Barefaced), an amp I love (Orange Terror Bass) and all the basses I need (MIA Fender Jazz and a fretless Precision, and then some). I thought this was it, I would be set. Now, it sounds like I "need" one of these (programmable) BDDI's grin

On a serious note, I guess what you guys are saying is, it would expand / enhance my existing sound, if used right. This would allow me to dial in specific tones, if I went with the programmable version. Interesting, especially since I read everywhere that the Terror Bass really reacts well to pedals and the likes.

#2900455 - 01/08/18 06:12 AM Re: What does a SansAmp BDDI do? [Re: EddiePlaysBass]
lug Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: League City,TX,UNITED STATES
If you are happy with the preamp section of your Orange, you really don't "need" it. If you have a severe case of G.A.S., you will need it badly. grin
I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

#2900531 - 01/08/18 09:45 AM Re: What does a SansAmp BDDI do? [Re: lug]
J. Dan Offline
Bannination Free Since '08
10k Club

Loc: St. Louis, MO
I use mine because I run direct and then run my bass through my wedge monitor. So it allows me to get a good tone direct without an amp. As Lug said, if you like your amp tone and don't need to stray from that, then you don't need it. You CAN set it up so that one channel is basically bypass. So if you just wanted to have it set up to add grit when needed, or change EQ a bit in demand, it's good for that.

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

#2901017 - 01/09/18 11:02 PM Re: What does a SansAmp BDDI do? [Re: J. Dan]
EddiePlaysBass Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Lately I have been thinking of adding some overdrive/distortion to my sound - not continuously, but occasionally it would help since I will essentially be compensating for the lack of a rhythm guitarist in places. The Orange Terror Bass obviously has a baked in overdrive sound but I quite like the clean sound, and don't want to be fiddling with the gain knob mid-song. Perhaps that programmable BDDI would come in handy.

Other than that, I am VERY satisfied with my current set-up and sound. I have a discussion with a former singer of mine this Thursday, to set up a new band. He potentially has some gigs in June / July already so I could be looking at some gig money in the second half of the year smile Of course, I still need to repay myself the Tony Franklin frown

#2901119 - 01/10/18 09:45 AM Re: What does a SansAmp BDDI do? [Re: EddiePlaysBass]
rizzo9247 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: NYC
The BDDI is a very versatile box, and the manual is one of the few I recommend reading. I always keep one in my gig bag for that "just in case" moment. The BDDI has a particular flavor that might not exactly fit the sound you are searching for. If you want to just merely "push" the orange I'd suggest getting a fairly light/less colored overdrive for that task over the BDDI (southhampton fifth gear, wren and cuff phat phuk, fairfield barbershop etc)

Be careful however, as the road you are on is very dangerous. The overdrive pedal rabbit hole consumed me for over 2 years with constant pedal flipping. I ended up with a BDDI and a Tronographic Rusty Box which I now use as different flavor preamps rather than front of amp effects. I actually loves the OD from the Orange Terror, but it does have a particular sound that isn't easily dialed out.

#2901165 - 01/10/18 12:57 PM Re: What does a SansAmp BDDI do? [Re: rizzo9247]
The Geoff Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Glasgow
The BDDI is great, but so is the MXR 80+. Try both, you may prefer one t'other. I use my 80+ to go direct to FOH. So long as soundman gives decent foldback, works great.

G.

#2901291 - 01/10/18 11:21 PM Re: What does a SansAmp BDDI do? [Re: The Geoff]
EddiePlaysBass Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! I think I will twiddle and tweak the Orange some more before I dive head-first into the world of FX pedals smile But just reading about the different options out there, is giving me GAS grin That MXR 80+ seems very interesting indeed ...