Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

VCV Rack, open source platform

VCV Rack, an open source platform that brings software emulations of Eurorack modules to Mac, Windows, and Linux computers.

https://vcvrack.com

http://cdm.link/app/uploads/2017/12/pasted-image-0-1024x330.png

"lets you run an entire simulated Eurorack on your computer or interface with hardware modular. And you can get started without spending a cent, with add-on modules available by the day for free or inexpensively. Ted Pallas has been working with VCV since the beginning, and gives us a complete hands-on guide."

http://cdm.link/2017/12/introduction-vcv-rack-free-open-modular-computer/

"How to start using VCV Rack, the free modular software..."

http://cdm.link/2017/12/step-one-wire-vcv-rack-free-modular-software/

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

• 1 year later...

And we have a 1.0 release of this free open source modular synth environment.

https://vcvrack.com/Rack.html

[video:youtube]

Polyphony. Use up to 16 voices with the full flexibility of modular patching.

Cables automatically turn polyphonic when requested by MIDI modules, sequencers, etc.

MIDI output. Control MIDI hardware with Rack modules.

New modules include CV-GATE for drum machines, CV-MIDI for desktop synths, and CV-CC for Eurorack interfaces.

MIDI mapping. Control knobs, buttons, and sliders directly from a MIDI controller.

Using the new MIDI-MAP module, click a virtual parameter and move a hardware control to create a mapping.

Module Browser. Search, filter, and view modules in your collection.

Click and drag to directly place modules in the rack.

Multi-core engine. Use multiple CPU threads to maximize the number of modules.

Accelerated polyphonic engines on many VCV and third-party modules.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

• 4 years later...

I just updated to VCV Rack 2 Pro and am very happy with it. Was using the Cherry Audio Voltage Modular but it has been giving me issues as of late on the Mac M series processors. The free version of VCV Rack is worth trying and comes with a nice collection of Mutable Instruments modules. Everything came together for me when I bought the ALM Pam Pro module for VCV. After that I decided to upgrade to the pro version, which moves from for stand alone only to being able to use it as VST2, VST3, Audio Unit, CLAP or stand alone. It is up to version 2.4.1 now and has quite a collection of free modules available. 

So, is anyone else playing around with VCV Rack?

VCV Rack Website

• Like 3

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

• 2 weeks later...

Could someone please explain the outcome of the VCV/Cardinal controversy? Is Cardinal still a thing despite VCV remaining free? Sorry, I should Google, but maybe someone has a quick synopsis.

"For instance" is not proof.

The technical interest for a modular synthesizer in software (of which versions have existed a long time) is probably: sample accuracy, dealing with connected modules and feedback with preferably short buffers (and the efficiency problem related to that), how to define the processing graph, and all teh technical elements that go with the used modules.

It seems to me this Open Source is about the "rack" software, where modules can be loaded in, and initialization of processing graph parameters can be do with scripting, and I suppose the graphics handing of buttons and wires. The sound creating software modules featured on the main page are if I don't look at the git repository wrong, Closed Source, and mostly not included in the "free" stuff. It can be understood that Open Source and commercial simply doesn't work (if you can download the sources and compile an app for yourself, why would you spend money at all ?) , but that's not always true. Anyhow, checking the sources of the sound modules being demo-d is as far as I quickly looked at it , not possible.

I don't find that very important, because the transparent errors like in most digital stuff make the sound, as often, almost irrelevant to me. If I want to sample-accurate connect sound processing modules, even with non-uniform audio buffer length settings, i can do that with other tools (Jack/pipewire, my own scripting, Carla) which might even be more efficient.

T