Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2898504 - 12/29/17 11:57 AM Any Major Dude
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
In strolling through a number of "People We Lost In Music This Year" round ups, I notice a whole lot of secondary & tertiary characters, B list has-beens, & management or support types, but no mention whatsoever of a guy who I think had a big hand in shaping a certain tributary of the river of popular music of the 70s & 80s. I'm not seeing Walter Becker on these lists. Maybe it's just because I listened to those records ceaselessly (and still do) & find them to be the finest examples of the craft of songwriting & record production of that era. Perhaps Steely Dan were too esoteric for mainstream listeners & most people didn't get the point, but I hope he gets the respect he so rightly deserves, along with Tom, Greg, Chuck & others making the lists.

GP Island
#2898527 - 12/29/17 01:59 PM Re: Any Major Dude [Re: Scott Fraser]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
DAMN!!!!

Best excuse I can offer is that many folks would instantly know a Steely Dan tune form the first few notes, but couldn't name-check either Becker nor Fagen. Still, sad . . .

http://www.novparolo.com

#2898534 - 12/29/17 02:56 PM Re: Any Major Dude [Re: Winston Psmith]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
That does suck. Maybe if Walt had went solo and made some videos, or got involved in some sex tape scandal or drug bust idk

In that industry it isn't always or sometimes good solid work that gets the attention. To SERIOUS listeners, sure. But.......
Whitefang

#2898555 - 12/29/17 04:56 PM Re: Any Major Dude [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Loc: Northern California
Thanks for keeping his memory alive Scott! He was only 67 (my age), so for me that's much too young.

Rest in Peace Walter...

#2898582 - 12/29/17 08:03 PM Re: Any Major Dude [Re: Larryz]
Jim Quinn Administrator Offline
Senior Administrator
Platinum Member

Loc: St Petersburg, FL
I like to remember Walter like this:

#2898640 - 12/30/17 08:00 AM Re: Any Major Dude [Re: Jim Quinn]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
SF, yer looking in the wrong spots maybe.
I haven't made a full survey but I think in more music oriented publications (DownBeat, all the gtr mags, etc) you'll find memorials abt WB.

Once they got past the initial splash of their debut, which included top 40 hits, a number of high visibility TV spots (see below), etc, the Danners kinda sealed their own fate by dropping touring as a priority.
That & that neither Fagen nor Becker seem to've had the in-person artist-to-audience charismatic spark left them in a sorta Backing Band Land, despite the, in fact, massive airplay & rec sales they achieved.
The same impulse that led them to write material that stood outside the box kept them from usual show biz appeal.

Uniquely among pop-rock bands, their material really was the "star" of their career.
One might compare them to Zappa, except Frank's personality was never gonna take a backseat.

Imagine that Pete Townshend didn't have Daltrey to front the Who or James P Page hadn't found Plant or someone to front Led Z.
Note that Page, while a better & more creative musician, has never had the commercial success on his own that Plant has had.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JkS8WB94ME

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgWWliZHjtI

The Dan's appeal to other musos / plus Becker explains how the Dan's trax were more jazzy than most pop & then Fagen, w/out knowing he's doing so, explains what kept them outta The Cult Of Personality

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waIBA6_0GQc

#2898681 - 12/30/17 01:18 PM Re: Any Major Dude [Re: Larryz]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Phoenix Az
Originally Posted By: Larryz
Thanks for keeping his memory alive Scott! He was only 67 (my age), so for me that's much too young.

Rest in Peace Walter...

Yep +1 (and at 75 myself) 67 is waaaaaaay too young.) RIP Walter Brecker you could certainly play and Steely Dan was one of the better bands in my humble opinion. I bought their recordings which is the best compliment I can give to any band/artist. I do have a folder of The Best of Steely Dan in MP3 which I play a bunch when I do listen to music. Plus I am sure I have some of their CD's as well from the old days
Harvey Cedars is my stage name on Soundclick

#2898694 - 12/30/17 02:06 PM Re: Any Major Dude [Re: desertbluesman]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

#2898698 - 12/30/17 02:27 PM Re: Any Major Dude [Re: Scott Fraser]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Japan
No, I think it`s just a stupid oversight and another example of why the industry sucks. XTC is also a band who raised the bar considerably with respect to songwriting and recording, and hated touring. Probably members here could cite other examples. That is not an excuse for being passed over for mention with honors. I`m just happy I was able to see the Steely ones live in Tokyo.

Skipsounds on Soundclick:
www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

#2898703 - 12/30/17 02:58 PM Re: Any Major Dude [Re: skipclone 1]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

XTC didn't have the commercial success of the Dan, though.

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose