Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2899344 - 01/03/18 08:41 AM Re: C-c-c-c-c-c-COLD! [Re: skipclone 1]
J. Dan Online   content
Bannination Free Since '08
10k Club

Loc: St. Louis, MO
Whitefang - my house was built in 1910....and this is a NEW house for me, my last one was built in 1865.

Electrical and plumbing are all updated and AC was added for cooling (2 units -one for the 1st floor, another for 2nd and 3rd floors), but heat stayed radiant. I actually prefer it! My 12 year old daughter likes to sit on a radiator when she's cold and my cats used to lay on them as well, lol.

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

GP Island
#2899365 - 01/03/18 10:01 AM Re: C-c-c-c-c-c-COLD! [Re: skipclone 1]
jimmac Offline

Loc: Jackson, Michigan
Sunday and Monday we in Michigan are supposed to get close to freezing. Might be enough to thaw Fang's washer system. You might also just put a blow dryer under the hood and partially close it for a while and go back inside, but I like to keep watch even if it is likely safe. Jim

#2899368 - 01/03/18 10:14 AM Re: C-c-c-c-c-c-COLD! [Re: Larryz]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
Originally Posted By: Larryz
I got the remaining 4 solid bodies out last night and tuned them up to 440. The Jazzmaster was dead on even though I haven't touched it in years. I thought I had 5 but then remembered I just sold my Jaguar this Xmas to my buddy that I have played with since '65. Anyway the other 3 are Strats and they were all flat within a whole step. So the colder temps do loosen them up just a tad.

That seems illogical.
Since metal reacts more than wood to temps any cold temp-induced changes should tighten the strings.
idk
Either way an endorsement of lighter strings, to me at least.

#2899382 - 01/03/18 11:42 AM Re: C-c-c-c-c-c-COLD! [Re: d]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Loc: Northern California
It may seem illogical (as Spock might say) but then again 14 guitars (acoustic, electric, solid, semi hollow, hollow, nylon, and even the dobro, Fender, Gibson, Epiphone, Taylor, Gretsch, Takamine,) and a very efficient snap on tuner can't be wrong. All flat. Probably due to dealing with wooden necks as opposed to metal strings. I too, thought they would all be tight/sharp in the colder temps. But they were all lose/flat by up to a whole step. String gauges were mostly 10's and 11's. cool

ps. will check them again during the hot summer months and see what happens?

Edited by Larryz (01/03/18 11:43 AM)
Edit Reason: ps.

#2899421 - 01/03/18 02:30 PM Re: C-c-c-c-c-c-COLD! [Re: Larryz]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
I'd think the strings would loosen more in extreme heat situations and contract(tighten) in the cold. And of course, being steel strings, also become a bit brittle if cold enough.
Whitefang

#2899492 - 01/03/18 10:55 PM Re: C-c-c-c-c-c-COLD! [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

@ Fang, Check out the cryogenic guitar strings process Dean Markley and others use. Guitar and Piano strings can take the extreme cold and last much longer as they do not stretch as much after their deep freeze processing.

If the 84 strings on my 14 guitars were all sharp due to the strings tightening in cold weather, I would have bought into the metal expansion/contraction concept. I think since they were all flat (loose), it was more likely than not, due to cold weather temperature changes effecting the wooden necks. I don't have that much humidity here, but it can cause similar issues as well. I'll know more this summer and I will report back if they all go sharp. cool

Edited by Larryz (01/03/18 11:00 PM)

#2899503 - 01/04/18 03:32 AM Re: C-c-c-c-c-c-COLD! [Re: Larryz]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

I usually don't look forward to summer since I never could tolerate hot weather all that easily and I have no A/C, but this year's gonna be the exception! grin

Just checked recently and my axes are still in tune, so it's not bothering them where they're being kept. I also thought that since cold temps of these extremes might have a "contracting" effect on the strings, it might too, get cold enough to affect the metal truss rod. And just a millimeter bend in the neck would cause the tuning to go flat. But I'm just basically throwing spaghetti noodles on the wall. Plus contracting strings could also be seen as a type of stretching , and once temps return to "normal" cause a flatness in the tuning. idk
Whitefang

#2899554 - 01/04/18 08:05 AM Re: C-c-c-c-c-c-COLD! [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

I really like having the snap-on tuners as I can check all of my guitars easily and tell within a few cents if there has been any change in the neck tension. The tuners let us know within a few cents just how much has changed using the string tension readings as a gauge. Truss rod adjustments can be required anytime we increase or decrease the string gauges. One thing that this discussion brings to mind for me, is to check tuning before putting the guitar away. I know that after playing for an hour or two some of the strings may go a little flat just from my string bending.

I enjoy the summers and the winters until we reach the outer limits! Then I start praying for spring and fall! I feel for all of you out in those arctic cold blasts and have no right to complain about the cold out here! cool

#2899657 - 01/04/18 03:27 PM Re: C-c-c-c-c-c-COLD! [Re: Larryz]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

wink

#2899772 - 01/05/18 07:01 AM Re: C-c-c-c-c-c-COLD! [Re: whitefang]
Eric Iverson Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Jackson Heights, NY
I never had any problem with my guitars inside my house. There were times I played in cold churches, and it affected the guitar's tuning - going sharp - but that wasn't hard to adjust.
A couple of times I've played outside when it was a bit chill - not sub-arctic, thank God. Once I was sitting in with a friend playing for the NYC marathon. He was not a very good player at that point - this is 20 years ago or more - and apparently only knew one tune, which he played and sang at great length, with great enthusiasm. Not a jam, just doing the song over and over and over.... (Which annoyed one of the bystanders.)
I'm perfectly happy not to repeat that experience, LOL and not just because it was nippy out. Nice guy, though.

#2899786 - 01/05/18 07:36 AM Re: C-c-c-c-c-c-COLD! [Re: Eric Iverson]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

My 2 High School buddies and I got together to play our old surfing Ventures music just before Christmas in an unheated garage. It was OK for us old geezers until the sun went down and our feet started getting cold. We tried a space heater but it couldn't keep up with the temps dropping. The two guitars had trouble staying in tune and after about 2 hours we decided to take a break and go inside for some snacks and beer. Then we were nice and warm eating hot pizza snacks and decided to get back together again when it warms up a bit LOL! It was fun and we did pretty good reminiscing on those old tunes, but we're getting to old to play in the cold! I love outside gigs when it's nice and warm but not when it's hot...and when it's cold, my fingers stop cooperating! cool

ps. this was the Class of '68, we were much younger and could take it back in those garage band days LOL!

Edited by Larryz (01/05/18 07:47 AM)

#2899790 - 01/05/18 07:57 AM Re: C-c-c-c-c-c-COLD! [Re: Larryz]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
Originally Posted By: Larryz
It was OK until the sun went down and our feet started getting cold.
Sounds like yer shoes were letting the cold from the concrete floor up .
Try getting an old large area rug.
That'll help yer feet if not yer hands.

BTW & FWIW here's some cats performing on a windy rooftop, Jan 1969
Temp = abt 45 F. / w/ windchill prolly in the 30s.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCtzkaL2t_Y

#2899806 - 01/05/18 08:48 AM Re: C-c-c-c-c-c-COLD! [Re: d]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

I loved that roof top concert! Tied up a bit of traffic down below and the Bobbies didn't much like it...but then the Boys had the proper permits LOL! A little too cold for me, but I would have loved to have been up there! I also love the song. I had not noticed it before but it looks like John and Ringo's side burns are a perfect match LOL!

Yeah a rug would have been a big help in that cold garage, but I think I'll talk the boys into playing inside till it warms up a bit LOL! cool

#2899820 - 01/05/18 09:23 AM Re: C-c-c-c-c-c-COLD! [Re: Larryz]
DocPate Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Virginia
I posted this on another forum

With the dry cold weather, what do you use to protect your guitar?

www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00VMB7E0U/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1515172505&sr=8-2-spons&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=guitar+case+humidifier&psc=1

Read more: http://guitarplayersforum.boards.net/thread/392/humidity-control#ixzz53KddFoOp

#2899838 - 01/05/18 10:21 AM Re: C-c-c-c-c-c-COLD! [Re: DocPate]
Happy Birthday Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
Originally Posted By: DocPate
I posted this on another forum

With the dry cold weather, what do you use to protect your guitar?

www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00VMB7E0U/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1515172505&sr=8-2-spons&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=guitar+case+humidifier&psc=1

Read more: http://guitarplayersforum.boards.net/thread/392/humidity-control#ixzz53KddFoOp

That's a lot like the D'Addario/Planet Waves model, overall; sponge inside a vented plastic box. Planet Waves humidifier

I keep those inside my Acoustic Guitar cases, and one with my Epi DOT, With my solid-body Guitars, I use the small round clay humidifiers; they used to call it the Guardfather? Herco "Guardfather".

I use both products year-round, and every Guitar case has at least one. Usually, when I refill them, I leave all my Guitars in their cases for a couple of days, to get the most benefit.

http://www.novparolo.com

#2899879 - 01/05/18 12:22 PM Re: C-c-c-c-c-c-COLD! [Re: Winston Psmith]
DocPate Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Virginia
+1 WPS on the year round

Edited by DocPate (01/05/18 12:22 PM)

#2900223 - 01/07/18 04:33 AM Re: C-c-c-c-c-c-COLD! [Re: DocPate]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Predictions are it's supposed to reach the mid to upper 30's by Tuesday, so maybe my washer lines will thaw out then.

As to the other matter. I'll admit( since humidity in the other 3 seasons is never hard to come by in MI) that I've never given a humidifier for my guitars any serious thought. Thanks to you guys, I'm taking it more serious now. Thanks. I just hope it ain't too late.
Whitefang

#2900640 - 01/08/18 02:16 PM Re: C-c-c-c-c-c-COLD! [Re: whitefang]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

The temp shot up to near 40 today, and my washer lines thawed out and work like a charm. smile

And just in time too. The warm temp melted a lot of snow and made the roads wet and now I can wash that salty spray off my windshield just fine. Glad THAT'S over.

And my WIFE should be coming home in about an HOUR or so! w00t w00t

Good day ALL around!
Whitefang

#2900746 - 01/08/18 10:41 PM Re: C-c-c-c-c-c-COLD! [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Sounds like a winner (not winter) and glad the wife is coming home!!! like

#2900748 - 01/08/18 10:54 PM Re: C-c-c-c-c-c-COLD! [Re: Larryz]
J. Dan Online   content
10k Club

This time of year is tough for me. I cover E/W New Mexico to Nashville, N/S mid TX to Canada. So I can be in West Texas one week, Northern Michigan the next. I occasionally venture into Canada and Mexico, but generally Central US.

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

#2900821 - 01/09/18 07:50 AM Re: C-c-c-c-c-c-COLD! [Re: J. Dan]
MP Hall of Fame Member

@Whitefang - glad your wife is coming home, brother. Good to hear!

Today is the first day that's going to be well above freezing (45 F/7.22 C) in a couple of weeks, but last night, we got a blast of freezing rain that made weird patterns on the walks and driveways? People are out there falling and hurting themselves on the ice, while we wait for it to warm up. I'm not going anywhere I don't have to, and I don't have to be anywhere today.

FWIW, I took my Cherry Red SG out for a show on Sunday, one of our coldest nights so far, and all was well. An ounce of prevention . . .

#2900845 - 01/09/18 09:32 AM Re: C-c-c-c-c-c-COLD! [Re: Winston Psmith]
jimmac Offline

Loc: Jackson, Michigan
Good news on the wife coming home fang. Hope things level out for you and her for a while. Jim

#2900932 - 01/09/18 02:51 PM Re: C-c-c-c-c-c-COLD! [Re: jimmac]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Yeah, thanks all. She entered the hospital just before Thanksgiving with painful difficult breathing that they claimed was due to low hemoglobin. She spent some time there and a few weeks after that in a rehab/nursing center and came home Sat. Dec. 16. On Dec. 20th, she was back with the same breathing issue and hemoglobin problem. Hopefully, the added iron tabs and dialysis will keep her from going back in another four days.
Whitefang

#2900988 - 01/09/18 06:42 PM Re: C-c-c-c-c-c-COLD! [Re: whitefang]
J. Dan Online   content
10k Club

In New Mexico this week - talk about a shock to the system! I went from single digits and teens to 70s! Actually turned on the AC in the rental car. Coincidentally, it's warming up this week at home as well, but not THAT much.

While on the topic of temperature and tuning, my biggest problem live is that since I'm primarily keyboards and only pick up the guitar for a few songs, sometimes the temp will shift quite a bit since I warmed up, tuned it, and sound checked. I almost always have to re-tune the first time I pick it up again.

#2901039 - 01/10/18 04:42 AM Re: C-c-c-c-c-c-COLD! [Re: J. Dan]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

WAYYYYY back when I was in a band the only time we played outdoors was at summertime pool parties and such. So the cold was never an issue. I can't imagine playing outdoors in cold weather. It would make my hands cold and stiff and probably affect my playing more that the strings. wink
Whitefang

#2901050 - 01/10/18 05:56 AM Re: C-c-c-c-c-c-COLD! [Re: whitefang]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Worst case I ever saw was watching the Fourth of July celebration from the National Mall, on television. It was pouring rain, driving wind, and some Country band was onstage, giving it their all. The Guitarist was slinging a Tele, while puddles of water formed around his feet, and the woman singing never let go of the mic, or waved for someone to come shut them down. That took guts, and heart, and even though I'm not a Country fan, those players got my respect.

#2901090 - 01/10/18 08:00 AM Re: C-c-c-c-c-c-COLD! [Re: Winston Psmith]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

We used to play a lot of outdoor gigs in my country rock band. BBQ's, Barn dances, hay bales, horseshoes, spitting tobacco, cowboy hats, boots, the whole 9 yards. They were a ton of fun! The sun was more of a problem than the cold as people usually threw their parties in the summer months. There were only a couple of cold gigs and I remember the guitars having tuning problems. We had to tune every other song. Any other indoor or outdoor gigs, we would just tune up after every set during the breaks... cool

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose