Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2898024 - 12/26/17 11:32 AM Epiphone Les Paul SL.
surfergirl Offline

Loc: Waialua, Hi
Premier Guitar did a review of this $99. Epiphone and I found some things to be contradictory.
Pros: Good quality.
Cons: Minor tuning instability, Noisy pickups.
I'm not sure how you can call it good quality if those are issues.
How much would the true cost after you corrected these issues.

Edited by surfergirl (12/26/17 11:33 AM)

GP Island
#2898032 - 12/26/17 11:58 AM Re: Epiphone Les Paul SL. [Re: surfergirl]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Loc: Northern California
It would be best to just treat the $99 one as a practice guitar IMHO. Save up and buy a new Epi LP for about $600. It would cost you close to that amount for the US made upgrades (i.e. pickups, locking tuners, pots and installation) when you add in the $99 bucks for the guitar. Then sell the used one for $50 bucks, hang it on the wall in your music room or give it to a new kid starting out... cool

#2898036 - 12/26/17 12:05 PM Re: Epiphone Les Paul SL. [Re: Larryz]
surfergirl Offline

I went back and read the review closer, and it sounds like the issues are easily fixed.
I would not buy one because I already have single coil guitars. If I bought another it would be one with humbuckers.

#2898037 - 12/26/17 12:14 PM Re: Epiphone Les Paul SL. [Re: surfergirl]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

+1 on the humbuckers for LP's. Epi is making LP's and other models like my ES-175 with US made 57 Humbuckers (which are my favorites). Epi came out with the ES-295 Scotty Moore model with US made P90 singles too. All of them get great reviews and you can't beat Epi for a great sounding/playing guitar for the price IMHO. cool

#2898147 - 12/27/17 08:03 AM Re: Epiphone Les Paul SL. [Re: Larryz]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
@Larryz - a new Epiphone LP Standard runs around $420+/-, used you can find them for anywhere from around $250-325; I got one for $240 at a nearby GC. AT $600-700, you should be able to find a used Gibson SG Special, or maybe a Les Paul Studio.

@Surfergirl - while I tend to agree with you on that review, you also have to compare it with other Guitars at around $100. I suspect the reviewers felt that for the price point, it was good enough. You can get well up into the $300 range with import Guitars, and still have noisy pickups, or inexpensive tuners.

http://www.novparolo.com

#2898160 - 12/27/17 09:22 AM Re: Epiphone Les Paul SL. [Re: Winston Psmith]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

@ Winston, depends on which EPI you are interested in. The one I would [pick] is the $599 model at SW called the Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top Pro with ProBuckers...I like the slim taper 60's neck.

My Gibson Les Paul Classic with 57 Humbuckers and locking tuners in Cherry Sunburst, that I bought this year only cost me $1,600 and it's a keeper! +1 on the used market, but I wanted to reward myself with a new one at half the price they usually go for, while I had the chance... cool

#2898178 - 12/27/17 10:24 AM Re: Epiphone Les Paul SL. [Re: Larryz]
surfergirl Offline

I'm a Stratocaster person, but my grandpa and my dad have Fenders and Gibsons. My goto is a 2012 Mexican deluxe player. My dad got it for $500, blemished. It's the only Strat I know of with the flatter fretboard, 12", I like it better than the other Fenders.

#2898197 - 12/27/17 12:02 PM Re: Epiphone Les Paul SL. [Re: surfergirl]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
I just like guitars...

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

#2898241 - 12/27/17 05:43 PM Re: Epiphone Les Paul SL. [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
p90jr Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

I bought a fleet of the Epi P90 SG and Les Paul Juniors that came in starter packs used for $50 ea. and used them for a couple of years in alternate tunings touring and playing in a noise rock band. I managed to break the headstock and have other problems with my real Gibsons... but since these were cheap and easily replaced I threw them around and abused them... and never had a single problem. I came across a lot of other touring indie rock and punk bands that were using them, even if they also had Les Pauls or whatever with them, because they were just cool and had a certain mojo. I kept my favorite one... it's just a good guitar by any measure. A friend borrowed it and has used it on about 4 of his album releases.

So... there's not really any useless guitars, there's just guitars YOU might not have a use for...

#2898243 - 12/27/17 05:47 PM Re: Epiphone Les Paul SL. [Re: p90jr]
p90jr Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Also, Paul Westerberg bought a cheap First Act single pickup guitar at Wal-Mart as a lark and ended up loving it and playing it onstage... they put a fancier pickguard on it and issued it as a signature model for him.

Which reminds me, I meant to buy one... it was $125 or so, new...

#2898244 - 12/27/17 05:53 PM Re: Epiphone Les Paul SL. [Re: Winston Psmith]
p90jr Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Winston Psmith
@Larryz - a new Epiphone LP Standard runs around $420+/-, used you can find them for anywhere from around $250-325; I got one for $240 at a nearby GC. AT $600-700, you should be able to find a used Gibson SG Special, or maybe a Les Paul Studio.

@Surfergirl - while I tend to agree with you on that review, you also have to compare it with other Guitars at around $100. I suspect the reviewers felt that for the price point, it was good enough. You can get well up into the $300 range with import Guitars, and still have noisy pickups, or inexpensive tuners.

Yep. Yep. Yep. I have only paid over $600 for two guitars: one when I was 14 and didn't know any better (great guitar... but those Jazzmasters that were going for $100 used that needed to be fixed would be worth... damn, this is depressing) and the other for the white Tele I'm playing in my profile pic, which a friend insisted I borrow and someone put a giant scratch on it so I felt it only fair to buy it from him at what he had paid for it.

Though I notice the OP is in Hawaii... and that might mean "Island prices"... inflated because of shipping costs, like our poor friends on here from Australia who have to remind us that we're spoiled with gear prices being so low because of sales volume and location.

#2898245 - 12/27/17 05:56 PM Re: Epiphone Les Paul SL. [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
p90jr Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Dannyalcatraz
I just like guitars...

My name is P90jr., and I am a guitaraholic.

#2898246 - 12/27/17 06:01 PM Re: Epiphone Les Paul SL. [Re: surfergirl]
p90jr Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: surfergirl
I'm a Stratocaster person, but my grandpa and my dad have Fenders and Gibsons. My goto is a 2012 Mexican deluxe player. My dad got it for $500, blemished. It's the only Strat I know of with the flatter fretboard, 12", I like it better than the other Fenders.

I put the loaded pickguard from a Deluxe Player Strat (I think... Noiseless Vintage pickups and 7 way switching, tortiose shell guard) onto a Highway One body and neck... it's my "perfect Strat." I've played some Deluxe Player Strats, and I would buy one if one popped up and not need to change anything (whereas I had to strip the Highway One and replace every single component to make myself happy with it, but I do love the neck and the weird finish).

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose