Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2926839 - 05/13/18 05:10 PM Re: Kurzweil K2500-->Fatar TP/8 Piano keybed-->MIDI [Re: GRollins]
Markyboard Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Springfield, Virginia
Originally Posted By: GRollins
I've hunted on the web, trying to find some clear, unambiguous indication as to what the mod and pitch wheels are supposed to be set to, but...to no avail. I've tried a few things based on some of the things I saw on the web and got a really interesting sort of echo-ish sort of effect from one setting, but it was always on; not affected by the mod wheel at all.

Grey- I may be misunderstanding here but you are using the user manual instructions?

KC Island
#2926846 - 05/13/18 05:54 PM Re: Kurzweil K2500-->Fatar TP/8 Piano keybed-->MIDI [Re: Markyboard]
GRollins Online   content
Platinum Member

I'm using their programs. One's called UpSet, the other's called mkcv96fxset. They're very similar, but not identical, programs.

And, yes, I'm Windows, not Apple-whatever.

Grey

#2926848 - 05/13/18 06:05 PM Re: Kurzweil K2500-->Fatar TP/8 Piano keybed-->MIDI [Re: GRollins]
Markyboard Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

OK - just wanted to make sure you were aware of the user manual found at the bottom of this link. If their Windows tool isn't working for you maybe you can manually send a sys ex message as described below:

3. Settings
Various parameters can be set/changed by user. For this purpose either PC running mkcv96fxset software, or standard MIDI Sequencer should be used as Host. The MIDI output of PC running above software or MIDI output of Host unit should be connected to the MIDI input of mkcv96fx using standard MIDI cable. A specific MIDI System Exclusive (SysEx) message format, described in Appendix A, should be used for reprogramming mkcv96fx parameters. Each parameter is programmed by separate SysEx message.
&#61656;

Appendix A. System Exclusive message for programming mkcv96fx (MB Device ID 001C)
F0 - SysEx start
00 - mandatory
21 - MB ID1
7F - MB ID2
00 - Device ID MSB (mkcv96fx = 00)
1C - Device ID LSB (mkcv96fx = 1C)
00 - Message ID (Program = 00)
pp - Parameter Number MSB (00..7F)
nn - Parameter Number LSB (00..7F)
vv - Parameter Value MSB (00..7F)
uu - Parameter Value LSB (00..7F)
F7 - SysEx end

#2926860 - 05/13/18 07:42 PM Re: Kurzweil K2500-->Fatar TP/8 Piano keybed-->MIDI [Re: Markyboard]
Platinum Member

Yep. I've got that manual, but it doesn't say anything (that I can see) about how to set the wheels to mod & pitch. It may the the old thing about the IBM manuals: They're great references if you already know how to do what you want to do...

But if you don't...

I don't make any claims to being a MIDI expert. There are parts of MIDI that make sense to me. Others...not so much. Yes, I know it's an old system and that it's not the way things would be done now, blah, blah, blah, woof, woof, woof. No programming language is entirely rational. I just haven't needed to learn it until recently, on accounta the fact that guitar/bass players don't need no such nonsense.

So now I'm faced with MIDI stuff and it's not working for me. Phooey. I'll get the job done one way or another. I may need to contact Jordan (at midiboutique) and get his input, but to be quite frank, my attitude towards them soured back in January or February and I'd just as soon try to figure this out on this end if it's at all possible.

Next time (if there is a next time) I may try Doepfer. Anyone but midiboutique, if I can figure out a way to get another encoder to do what I need to do.

Incidentally, in a related vein, the Yamaha keybeds that I had a line on are a no-go. They're still for sale and all, but it turns out that the Yamaha GHD keybed had a design flaw that led to the keys breaking at the hinge point. Nope. Don't need a reliability problem. I spend too much time fixing things as it is. Pity. By reputation, the keybed had very nice action, although the kedbed itself was quite deep, mechanically speaking...like, three or four inches, maybe five. Not a slim line design. Yamaha used the mechanism in their Clavinova CLP and CVP(?) lines. If you look at the keyboards, you'll see that they're pretty deep in the front. For use here at the house, it wouldn't be a problem, but it'd be a thicker-than-ordinary slab to take out into the world. Since there's little chance that people will want to hear my music (arguably prog rock) that's not really a problem, but the reliability question and the fact that Yamaha tends to want to put a small microprocessor on their keybeds--thus requiring me to hack the PCBs in order to take the signal just after the diode matrix--was going to require a lot of extra work. Now, if they'd set things to have that processor output a MIDI signal, then that would have been different, but it appears that it's not MIDI...just some sort of intermediate step before it reaches the main processor. Rats. Just as I got the guy down to where he nearly was going to pay me to take them off his hands...

Anyway, as I was about to say, I've downloaded Midi-Ox, which I am assuming/hoping is an appropriate tool for fiddling with this problem, because the midiboutique software is not helpful nor intuitive. I'm sure it'll get the job done, but you've already got to know what to do, because it's not going to do anything helpful like say mod or pitch bend. It just says P1, default 7 (volume) and it's up to you to guess where to go from there.

I'll report back later tonight or tomorrow.

Grey

Edited by GRollins (05/13/18 07:44 PM)

#2926862 - 05/13/18 08:12 PM Re: Kurzweil K2500-->Fatar TP/8 Piano keybed-->MIDI [Re: GRollins]
Markyboard Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I bet you're closer than you know. The manual won't talk about the mod or pitch wheel, it will talk about the pots. Focus on the mod wheel which is connected to Pot 1. Pot 1 is currently set up to control volume by default and I believe you confirmed this. That means the mod wheel is connected to the encoder board correctly. Can you use the tool to change the pot 1 CC from 7 to 1 (for example)? Then make sure the synth you're trying to control is set up to respond to CC1. It's very common to use cc1 for vibrato so it may be set up by default.

We can try Midi Ox - yes this is the right Windows tool for sending sys ex. But I wouldn't give up on the provided utility tool just yet. I'll try to extract it tomorrow as I haven't looked at it yet.

#2926876 - 05/14/18 01:01 AM Re: Kurzweil K2500-->Fatar TP/8 Piano keybed-->MIDI [Re: Markyboard]
Platinum Member

There's no way to verify that you've changed from 7 to 1 with their utilities. You can send the bytes out, but there's no mechanism for looking into the onboard settings to see what they're currently set to. If you want to know what any given parameter is, you'll have to write it down on a slip of paper and tape it to the keyboard. If you squirt out a couple of bytes, then things change...or they don't. Like I said, I ended up with some sort of odd echo/reverb/chorus thing--it switched on when I sent a setting, but I couldn't control it with the wheel. I have no earthly idea how I accomplished the change as it shouldn't be an on/off effect that ignores the pot.

Their utilities are pretty frustrating. There's a window to select P1. Then there's another drop down window to select what you want to set it to. They tell you that the default is 7 and that it's volume. Other than that, you can select 0-127, but they're just numbers, with no guidance as to what they do. For all I know, selecting #15 orders a large pepperoni pizza with extra cheese. It could just as easily be the area code for placing a phone call to Mars. It's just a number, with no indication as to whether to choose 1, 5, 27, or 79.

I've been using the Voyager RME and the Yamaha XS Rack as guinea pigs. The Voyager is helpful in that some of the voices have mod wheel as part of the name, so you can expect a fairly dramatic result if you cycle the pot. The MM8's mod wheel works on either one, I just need to get this Fatar critter taught how to do the same. The upside is that I only need to get it right once, because the change is stored in non-volatile memory. The downside is that there's absolutely zero guidance how to get from point A to point B.

Feel free to run their utilities. They come up as a small window. You tell it where to find the USB-to-keyboard connection, then send out changes one at a time. Time consuming. I got the keyboard starting note changed and I've played with their default velocity map options, but the whole process is so clunky that I've not had the courage to write my own velocity map (I don't like any of theirs) yet. It's going to take forever to develop the map, which I expect, but there's no way to save the table so it'll have to be entered from scratch every single time. Oi!

Grey

#2926896 - 05/14/18 04:51 AM Re: Kurzweil K2500-->Fatar TP/8 Piano keybed-->MIDI [Re: GRollins]
Markyboard Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Grey - Let's please try to focus on one thing - namely changing the function of potentiometer 1:

Download/open UpSet v1.9 utility. This looks to be the easiest of the utilities provided to change your potentiometer functions.

Once you open the utility there are 4 parameters -sorry can't take a screen shot but here they are:

MIDI Out Port:
set this to the midi device port which connects your pc to your encoder board

Device Model: mkcv96fx

Parameter Name: scroll and select Pot1 MIDI CONTROLLER

Parameter Value: Scroll up and select 1($01) (it was 7)

Hit the send button.

Your mod wheel which was controlling volume should now send cc1.

See if you can confirm this using a synth that is set up to receive cc 1 or a midi monitor utility - maybe part of your DAW.

Let me know what happens.

#2926979 - 05/14/18 12:22 PM Re: Kurzweil K2500-->Fatar TP/8 Piano keybed-->MIDI [Re: Markyboard]
Platinum Member

Okay, consider me flustered and flummoxed.

Nothing worked...until...

It dawned on me that P2/Pot 2/Pitch was sending on Channel 2. Well, what the hell good is that when everything's set to Channel 1, right? Although P2 wasn't what I was working on, it bothered me, so I went ahead and changed P2 to Channel 1.

Mirabile dictu!

P1 suddenly started working as a mod wheel.

WTF???

Now, you're going to roll your eyes and say, "Grey, absolutely everyone knows that. It's basic MIDI."

Uh, right.

Be that as it may, the mod wheel now mods.

Groovy keeno cool...I'm halfway there.

So what do I tell the pitch wheel to get it to do pitch? (And cross fingers that it doesn't somehow kill my mod wheel.)

I've looked at a couple of lists of CC# online and it seems ambiguous. One indicates that 6 is pitch range "if you follow CC100 & CC101." But 100 & 101 are simply listed as "Registered Parameter" with no mention of pitch. Furthermore, there's this rather threatening warning: "It's probably best not to use the group below for assigning controllers." So, being a MIDI novice, I'm duly afraid to go fiddling with 6, 100, and 101 for fear that I'll enter the secret code to instruct the sun to go supernova or something. That would definitely be bad for my karma. And my wife would be pissed that I roasted her herb garden. And all my beer, wine, and Scotch would boil before I had a chance to drink them. And that would be a pity.

Grey

Edited by GRollins (05/14/18 12:24 PM)

#2926988 - 05/14/18 01:28 PM Re: Kurzweil K2500-->Fatar TP/8 Piano keybed-->MIDI [Re: GRollins]
Markyboard Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I'm not rolling my eyes because I have no idea why changing
pot 2 to chn 1 allowed pot 1 to start sending cc1. I would guess that the encoder board got a partial sysex message and was waiting for the completion of bytes and maybe by changing the channel it resolved this "stuck' condition. But like I said I'm guessing.

Anyway did that utility tool work? Did you try changing pot 1 to a new cc to see if it works as expected now? I recommend you do so for your own understanding.

As to pitch bend it is not one of the 127 defined CC messages. It is a channel voice message at the same message hierarchy as note on, aftertouch, cc (but again not one of the cc messages), etc.

I see nothing in the utility tools that allows programming the pots for pitchbend and nothing in the description. It may be due to the fact that pitchbend is bi-directional. The description states that the pots are specifically for cc messages but I would ask the manufacturer.

#2926993 - 05/14/18 02:23 PM Re: Kurzweil K2500-->Fatar TP/8 Piano keybed-->MIDI [Re: Markyboard]
Platinum Member

Yeah, I was looking at the stuff with Midi-Ox. The mod wheel now sends sends CC1 on Channel 1. Your idea about a partial or corrupted message sounds reasonable.

While I had everything going, I looked at what the MM8 does when you torque the pitch wheel and...everything changes, so I'm kinda out of ideas as to how to make that happen. I was hoping there would be an easy solution.

If it turns out that it won't do pitch, then maybe I'll take the centering spring out of the wheel and make it a for-real volume, although I don't really have a need for such a thing. If it's just sitting there doing nothing, it'll annoy me. Maybe there's some other function I can use it for.

I've also got SW1 and SW2 to play with, but at least I've got a loose plan for those. I'm thinking I may try to set those to increment/decrement voices. I'll have to hack some wiring, though. Going to need to patch them into two of the bass pedal switches, then play with the coding. I'm assuming (perhaps wrongly) that I can find increment/decrement codes in one of my device manuals. (Is that standardized or does it change between the Voyager and the rack XS, for instance?) I'll also have to arrange power for the LEDs in the switches. Okay, I don't have to, but it would be nice to have the LEDs do something.

Profuse thanks for your help so far.

Grey

#2927075 - 05/15/18 03:17 AM Re: Kurzweil K2500-->Fatar TP/8 Piano keybed-->MIDI [Re: GRollins]
Markyboard Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Profuse thanks for your help so far.

Grey

No problem and congrats - that's not a novice project you took on.

#2927110 - 05/15/18 07:15 AM Re: Kurzweil K2500-->Fatar TP/8 Piano keybed-->MIDI [Re: Markyboard]
Platinum Member

The woodworking was no problem--just a little fiddly going back and forth between metric and standard. If I recall correctly, there was a mission to Mars that failed because of something like that, so if even "rocket scientists" can goof up, us mere mortals have to be doubly careful.

Semi-related: I've always regarded Moog as a high-end company, but to my eyes their 953 keyboard is a clunky-assed design, aesthetically. It looks like something a guy designed in high school shop class. I wanted something a little more elegant. The oak/cherry thing was somewhat arbitrary on my part, being wood I had on hand that I'd wanted to use for years, but never found the right project. This seemed like the time.

Incidentally, I gritted my teeth and wrote midiboutique the other day, even as you and I were working on things here. No response so far. As I've hinted, they're not high on my list of people I'm just dying to do business with again. Even allowing for the time difference between here and Bulgaria, I'm not super-impressed with their responsiveness. I'm under the impression that they're a kitchen table operation, attending to things after supper...if there's nothing good on TV and they feel like it.

I'll report back once they respond.

All in all, even if the pitch bend thing doesn't come together, I'm pretty happy with the way things turned out. Setting aside my feelings, this keyboard is the first thing my family goes to when they enter my studio. They seem to want to touch it or at least stand where they can see it. So...yeah...I may have done the Fatar keybed justice.

Grey

#2927294 - 05/16/18 06:41 AM Re: Kurzweil K2500-->Fatar TP/8 Piano keybed-->MIDI [Re: GRollins]
Platinum Member

Must have been nothing on TV last night...

I finally heard back from midiboutique:

"The mkcv96fx does not support Pitch Bend."

So...I guess I'll need to start pondering what to do with the other wheel. Obviously volume is one possibility, although it doesn't seem to turn all the way down--odd, that.

Any suggestions for other things I might use the wheel for?

Grey

#2927301 - 05/16/18 07:28 AM Re: Kurzweil K2500-->Fatar TP/8 Piano keybed-->MIDI [Re: GRollins]
Markyboard Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

You can set Pot 1 and Pot 2 to transmit any cc you'd like. For starters I suggest you look at the table in the Voyager manual (same for RME I believe) starting on P.76. It lists each parameter and the assigned CC. Match up your encoder pot 2 transmitted CC with the parameter of choice.

Example: Filter cutoff = CC19, Resonance = CC21.

#2927311 - 05/16/18 08:12 AM Re: Kurzweil K2500-->Fatar TP/8 Piano keybed-->MIDI [Re: Markyboard]
Platinum Member

Let me ask a stupid question...

Is there such a thing as a dedicated controller (or one that can be beat into submission) for pitch?

My thinking being that if I can contrive a pitch signal, the encoder board has a midi in/thru (actually, I think they call it "merge") that I could use to add that signal to the data stream.

Plus: I get pitch
Minus: Even if such a thing exists, I'll be spending money for something that I don't really intend to use much. To be honest, the main reason that I was pursuing pitch is that it's kinda...expected...you know? I mean, that's what everybody does with that left-hand wheel. Follow the herd.

All of which brings me around to: I like your idea better.

Just kinda thinking out loud: I've sorta assigned my old Toshiba laptop as a dedicated controller for the Fatar. I could, in principle, reassign the wheel on the fly--CC99 for this tune, CC50 for the next one. Get different effects per song.

Yeah. Screw pitch. I like your idea.

I'm busy with other stuff at the moment, but will look at the table, experiment, and report back, possibly this afternoon if I can slay enough dragons.

Grey

#2927440 - 05/17/18 04:26 AM Re: Kurzweil K2500-->Fatar TP/8 Piano keybed-->MIDI [Re: GRollins]
dsetto Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Los Angeles
You play the K2500 keyboard answer and an oscillator elsewhere sounds? Awesome! ...
---
MIDI Solutions Event Processor. Is that helpful for your pitch woes? ...

I assume it's rhetorical, but you can survive without pitch bend. Program pitch modulation on your synths.

#2927447 - 05/17/18 05:34 AM Re: Kurzweil K2500-->Fatar TP/8 Piano keybed-->MIDI [Re: GRollins]
Mr T, Sweden Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Írebro, Sweden
Let me ask a stupid question...

Is there such a thing as a dedicated controller (or one that can be beat into submission) for pitch?

Since you already have the wheels from the K2500, I guess this would help:

Doepfer Wheel Electronics

#2927461 - 05/17/18 06:37 AM Re: Kurzweil K2500-->Fatar TP/8 Piano keybed-->MIDI [Re: Mr T, Sweden]
Platinum Member

dsetto,
I scanned the Event Processor and didn't see pitch mentioned explicitly, although they indicate that it can do a lot of things. However, at $150 I'm afraid that's more than I'd want to spend for a feature I don't really need.

Mr T,Sweden,
The Doepfer unit looks promising and at (roughly, depending on exchange rates) $50, it's a lot more economical. I'll keep that one in mind in case I decide to go for pitch.

Markyboard,
I finally got to the keyboard late last night. I tried a number of things from the manual, but few of them were of interest--at least with the preset I was using as a guinea pig. Other voices might give different results. Your suggestions of CC19 and CC21 were the best of the ones I messed with. Note that I only had time to try the Voyager. I'll want to give the Motif XS and Behringer D a shot, too.

Grey

#2927462 - 05/17/18 07:10 AM Re: Kurzweil K2500-->Fatar TP/8 Piano keybed-->MIDI [Re: GRollins]
Markyboard Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Markyboard,
I finally got to the keyboard late last night. I tried a number of things from the manual, but few of them were of interest--at least with the preset I was using as a guinea pig. Other voices might give different results. Your suggestions of CC19 and CC21 were the best of the ones I messed with. Note that I only had time to try the Voyager. I'll want to give the Motif XS and Behringer D a shot, too.

Grey

Try CC5 - Glide Rate on your RME. You can simulate pitchbend with a bit of practice. I just tried this using my PC3x - pretty cool use of the pitchbend wheel.

The Motif should be good - you'll probably want to do this using the the same CC # as that set with the assignable knobs. This will give you the maximum flexibility athough I think this only works in Performance mode.

Not sure the Behringer has CCs assigned to each parameter - doesn't show in the manual.

#2927480 - 05/17/18 08:22 AM Re: Kurzweil K2500-->Fatar TP/8 Piano keybed-->MIDI [Re: Markyboard]
Platinum Member

CC5...got it.

I'll try to get to it later this afternoon. I'm drilling holes, building a prototype double-wide rack mount to go behind the keyboard. (To visualize, think Keith Emerson's Moog wall, only 2 x 19" rack stuff, instead of modular units. Fits rather well behind a 76-key controller.)

For the nonce, my default for that wheel is going to be CC19. I had been threatening to set up SW1 and SW2 to increment/decrement preset voices (if possible), but it occurred to me that I could set one to set up CC19 and the other to be CC21. Decisions, decisions...

I confess that I'm on the verge of "having a smug" about this project. It's been damn near forever since I picked up that dead K2500, but for all the waiting and angst in the meantime it's working out well.

Grey

#2927486 - 05/17/18 08:38 AM Re: Kurzweil K2500-->Fatar TP/8 Piano keybed-->MIDI [Re: GRollins]
dsetto Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Los Angeles
A real smart guy on this forum once suggested that for something I was looking to do - & based on what you've written, I thought at least that could be a missing piece candidate for a build yet considered.

#2927503 - 05/17/18 09:36 AM Re: Kurzweil K2500-->Fatar TP/8 Piano keybed-->MIDI [Re: dsetto]
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: dsetto
...that could be a missing piece candidate for a build yet considered.

And it may yet be a candidate for a build that I haven't considered yet. I backed away from those Yamaha GHD keybeds, but there's always something out there to tempt me into to doing something I shouldn't...

Grey

#2927599 - 05/17/18 07:54 PM Re: Kurzweil K2500-->Fatar TP/8 Piano keybed-->MIDI [Re: Markyboard]
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: Markyboard
Try CC5 - Glide Rate on your RME.

I tried CC5 and...it did nothing. Why? I'm too tired to try to puzzle this out. Going to bed. Maybe my subconscious will puzzle this out while I'm sleeping. Maybe I should try a different preset. Maybe it's the fact that I put the Toshiba to "Sleep" instead of a cold boot (I had a circumstance the other day that may have been due to the USB connection not connecting cleanly after putting the PC in sleep mode). Maybe...I dunno. I'll look into it tomorrow.

Grey

#2927632 - 05/18/18 04:05 AM Re: Kurzweil K2500-->Fatar TP/8 Piano keybed-->MIDI [Re: GRollins]
Markyboard Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Grey...grey...grey
This is your subconcious...concious...cious...
Set glide to mode 1...mode 1...1...
Under the RME Edit menu...menu...u...

WAKE UP GRAY! coffee
Don't forget to confirm that glide works from the RME front panel.

laugh

#2929760 - 05/28/18 07:32 PM Re: Kurzweil K2500-->Fatar TP/8 Piano keybed-->MIDI [Re: Markyboard]
Platinum Member

I finally got more time to mess with the Fatar keyboard. Got the wheel programmed for glide. It worked. But...I'm not sure that it's useful for me. I haven't be able to think of a situation where I'd want to change the glide rate on the fly, so I'm back to CC19 as default for the "pitch" wheel.

For what it's worth, I think the problem was that the Toshiba was put into sleep mode (normal for me--I don't typically cold boot unless I need to) and the midiboutique utility doesn't behave predictably when it's put to sleep, then woken up. In the days of yore, I'd have coded my own utility. No more. Life's too bloody short for me to write code these days. Their program's not exactly user friendly--for example, they just give you numbers for the velocity map for the keys, but don't tell you what the differences are between them--but I'm just going to live with it. I don't want to spend any more time fiddling with the background stuff than I have to; I can't justify the time.

For the moment, the Mod wheel is set to mod and the Pitch wheel is set to #19 (something filter-related, can't remember what at the moment...short on sleep [again] and my memory is toast). If other fun possibilities pop up, I'll give 'em a shot, but I've got something that works and that's good enough to get me through until tomorrow.

Grey

#2929767 - 05/28/18 08:20 PM Re: Kurzweil K2500-->Fatar TP/8 Piano keybed-->MIDI [Re: GRollins]
mate stubb Offline
Grand Poobah of the Trebuchet
10k Club

I haven't be able to think of a situation where I'd want to change the glide rate on the fly, so I'm back to CC19 as default for the "pitch" wheel.

Er, just about every synth solo I ever did with glide I was modifying the rate. You can't play the Lucky Man solo right without twisting that knob. For example, you have a long glide going from bottom to top of the keyboard, and you want to arrive at your top pitch exactly on a certain beat. A skillful tweaker can do that every time.

http://www.hotrodmotm.com

#2929803 - 05/29/18 02:05 AM Re: Kurzweil K2500-->Fatar TP/8 Piano keybed-->MIDI [Re: mate stubb]
Platinum Member

I'm not saying it's not of use to others...I'm saying it's not of use to me. I don't use whammy bars on guitars, either. I've got a Paul Reed Smith that came with a whammy bar--took it off, as it was in my way. There are people who get a lot of mileage out of bending notes on their chosen instrument, but it's just not what I hear in my head. As I've noted before, I'm doing original material. Unless and until I can find others who want to go the original route (unlikely in this part of the country), I'm "chief cook and bottle washer" as they say, covering keys, guitar, and bass. Possibly vocals. For me, messing with pitch isn't useful. If a real keyboardist decides that they're interested in what I'm trying to do and they're into that sort of thing, then they can have at it. I'd just as soon devote my time and attention to stringed instruments, anyway. However, the probability of finding a Rick Wakeman or Keith Emerson here in the hinterlands is slim to none, so it's down to me to try to get this blasted music out of my head, because it's driving me absolutely crazy. For the time being, I'm only claiming that I'm using keys as a compositional tool. As I improve, I may become more ambitious in my claims, but it will take a while.

Lucky Man? Trying to do Keith Emerson is beyond my abilities and likely to remain so. The guy was a bloody genius. Greg Lake, I can do. I'm arguably a better bass player, he'd probably get the nod on guitar. In either case, our styles are different, so it's apples and oranges anyway. Which of us is/was better on keys is an open question, but it's a moot point because he had Keith to cover that role. All I've got is me. For the record, 99% of the keyboard players out there are better than I am, though I am slowly improving--pulled off something the other day that I didn't think I could do yet (earned myself a brief smug, then on to the next thing). Need more practice time. Me cover Carl Palmer? Not going to happen. I started on drums, years ago, and decided it wasn't what I was looking for. Backed up and went with pitched instruments. Besides, drum kits take up a lot of room.

Grey

#2930406 - 05/31/18 06:41 PM Re: Kurzweil K2500-->Fatar TP/8 Piano keybed-->MIDI [Re: GRollins]
Platinum Member

Okay, here's one I didn't see coming...

The Hammond doesn't go through the mixer. Natch. I was playing it a little today and had the volume up a little higher than usual to get a bit of tone. That meant that I had to turn up the mixer so as to get the Fatar, Kronos, etc. up loud enough to match the Hammond.

Only...

The Fatar keyboard is on the bench of the Hammond (I have to reach over it to get to the Hammond), and the two of them are right next to one of my subs. These aren't stage subs, going down to 40-50Hz, these are stereo subs that are flat down to 25Hz.

And...

The vibration from the sub is triggering the second wheel, the one I've had set to CC19. Oddly, once it's triggered, there's no point in its rotation that sounds like it did before it was triggered (ditto for the mod wheel, for that matter). The Voyager--which is what the Fatar was linked to--starts at 0 or 127 once a voice is selected. It's content to sit there until you move the wheel, at which point it changes abruptly to whatever CV the wheel is sending. Disconcerting, but understandable. I don't get the inability to return to either 0 or 127, but that's another matter for another day. (No, there's no facility for zeroing the wheels in the midiboutique encoder.)

Anyway, where was I? Oh, right...so in the middle of this tune, which includes some fairly robust low notes, the CC19 filter thing triggers. I figured that I'd hit it by accident, switched out of the voice, then back to reset the filter and went about my business. Then it happened again. And again. And again. Major tonal shift and no way to get back without resetting the voice.

Aaargh!

So I set the bloody "Pitch" wheel back to 7 (Volume...which doesn't go fully loud or completely silent, either, go figure). It's not as jarring a change.

Life is weird sometimes.

Grey

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner