Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2897505 - 12/22/17 10:47 PM Anyone use these organ pedals made by jg3 tech?
analogman1 Offline
Gold Member

Loc: UNITED STATES
Saw this a while ago, now considering getting them (seems like a good deal with the folding bench and 24 note pedalboard.)

http://www.jg3tech.com/24-note-midi-bass-pedals--folding-bench

But WHY 24 notes and not 25???
Nevertheless, the price seems right....anybody own a set of these?

KC Island
#2897506 - 12/22/17 11:21 PM Re: Anyone use these organ pedals made by jg3 tech? [Re: analogman1]
matted stump Offline
Grand Poobah of the Trebuchet
10k Club

He builds his pedals with encoder boards which have 8 inputs. Hence 3 boards chained = 24, not 25 notes.

I've heard mixed reviews on the quality control.

http://www.hotrodmotm.com

#2897507 - 12/22/17 11:43 PM Re: Anyone use these organ pedals made by jg3 tech? [Re: matted stump]
analogman1 Offline
Gold Member

Hmm... I wish there was something else comparably priced...

#2897516 - 12/23/17 03:24 AM Re: Anyone use these organ pedals made by jg3 tech? [Re: analogman1]
John Tweed Offline

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Mine have five 4 note encoder boards for 20 notes. I had to do a fair bit of work to get them working at all, because some parts were cut inaccurately. Obviously they were never tested because a couple of notes wouldn't go down at all. Jared helped me sort things out, but a bit of basic QC would have been nice.

Once sorted they work very well, and I enjoy using them with my Mojo, but after over a year of use I'm going to need to do a bit of work to prevent them falling apart in the not too distant future. A decent case would help, but I don't do enough pedal gigs to bother.

The bench is very high, much higher than a real Hammond bench (so I'm lead to believe), in any case much to high for me, and so narrow that I felt like I was sitting on a rail. I didn't like the sharp edges, so a case or bag would be essential, but I moved them on.

In summary don't get the bench, but do get the pedals if you are not frightened to pull them apart. They are mechanically quite simple.

Do let us know if you find anything else worth using in that price range, because all of the professionally built ones cost a lot more.

#2897569 - 12/23/17 08:26 AM Re: Anyone use these organ pedals made by jg3 tech? [Re: analogman1]
davedoerfler Offline
KCFF League Champion 2017
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: the swamp
Originally Posted By: analogman1
anybody own a set of these?

I have the 16 note pedalboard under my Mojo. Nice looking, haven't had any problems with them. They don't get moved, however, and don't get used often.
Trent Reznor

#2897571 - 12/23/17 08:32 AM Re: Anyone use these organ pedals made by jg3 tech? [Re: davedoerfler]
Spider76 Offline

I have the 24 note, works seamlessly with my SK2. You can definitely tell it's a handcrafted item, but I had no issues with it.

If I needed something more robust for gigging, I would probably use the Viscount pedalboards. The equivalents from Hammond or Nord are just too expensive.

#2897573 - 12/23/17 08:42 AM Re: Anyone use these organ pedals made by jg3 tech? [Re: Spider76]
analogman1 Offline
Gold Member

Hey Spider76, would you know who sells the Viscount pedalboard?

#2897578 - 12/23/17 08:51 AM Re: Anyone use these organ pedals made by jg3 tech? [Re: analogman1]
Tom Williams Offline
Gold Member

Loc: West Virginia
Hmm. 32 / 4 = 8.

I think an AGO-standard MIDI pedalboard could be built to sell under $1000. 'specially if it's not velocity sensitive. Question is, would it have to include a keyboard stand to deal with the otherwise prohibitive width?
M-Audio Keystation 88, Axiom 61

#2897579 - 12/23/17 08:52 AM Re: Anyone use these organ pedals made by jg3 tech? [Re: analogman1]
Donsta Offline

From reading customer reviews it seems that if you get one that works you love it. If you don't...

#2897582 - 12/23/17 09:06 AM Re: Anyone use these organ pedals made by jg3 tech? [Re: analogman1]
Spider76 Offline

Sorry, I'm italian so I have an advantage on this, Viscount being an Italian company I have no problem in finding their products wink

Viscount makes several MIDI pedalboards for classical organs, and two pedalboards (18- and 25-notes) for the Legend line of tonewheel emulators.

Here you can get an idea from a major EU retailer
https://m.thomann.de/gb/search_BF_viscount.html?s=alpha

I've got no idea where you can get them in the States, but I'm sure there's a distributor, they are a pretty big company (they are one of the market leaders in the church organ business)

#2897609 - 12/23/17 11:30 AM Re: Anyone use these organ pedals made by jg3 tech? [Re: analogman1]
matted stump Offline
Grand Poobah of the Trebuchet
10k Club

Call Juke Fox at Colorado Viscount. He'll fix you up!

https://www.coloradoviscount.com/product-page/pedalboard-18-with-swell-pedal-included

http://www.hotrodmotm.com

#2897637 - 12/23/17 01:53 PM Re: Anyone use these organ pedals made by jg3 tech? [Re: matted stump]
Six-string-man Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: U.K.
The quality of the Viscount pedalboard is superb. They are the biggest makers of organ pedals in the world AFAIK.

#2897641 - 12/23/17 02:03 PM Re: Anyone use these organ pedals made by jg3 tech? [Re: Spider76]
bill bosco Offline

b-3 guys as them , and also hammond organ world in new jersey
has them , they're cheaper than the H.S. pedals and probably
lighter and just as well made , also , i believe the swell pedal is included

Edited by bill bosco (12/23/17 02:05 PM)

#2897648 - 12/23/17 02:29 PM Re: Anyone use these organ pedals made by jg3 tech? [Re: bill bosco]
GRollins Offline
Platinum Member

There's a set of the JG3 bass pedals for sale on my local CL. They look homemade, judging from the pictures in the ad. Details like the control panel for the electronics being mounted on the surface of the wood, rather than seated in a routed inset...looks amateurish. The mounting screws are pan head instead of, say, oval head, so they stick out, and between that and the panel being on the surface, they're going to catch on every possible thing when you're loading the pedals into your car. The wood appears to be oak (or maybe oak veneer?) that's been stained, but the stain was applied unevenly.

The pedals are for sale on Amazon for $575 + shipping w/out the bench.

I'm interested in a set of bass pedals, myself, but I'm leery of the JG3. Comments here aren't exactly convincing me to reconsider. I'll wait until something better pops up.

Grey

#2900802 - 01/09/18 06:42 AM Re: Anyone use these organ pedals made by jg3 tech? [Re: GRollins]
JoJoB3 Offline

I made my own using real 25-note Hammond pedals (midi jack, ctrlr board, pwr jack, and reed switches). Quite simple, and the end result has been perfect.

#2901014 - 01/09/18 10:07 PM Re: Anyone use these organ pedals made by jg3 tech? [Re: JoJoB3]
analogman1 Offline
Gold Member

Hey JoJoB3, I'd be curious to know what parts you used (as you mentioned, the midi jack, ctrlr board, pwr jack, and reed switches).
Any suggestions where to source those items?
Thanks in advance!
Tom

#2931929 - 06/08/18 08:27 PM Re: Anyone use these organ pedals made by jg3 tech? [Re: analogman1]
JoJoB3 Offline

Hey JoJoB3, I'd be curious to know what parts you used (as you mentioned, the midi jack, ctrlr board, pwr jack, and reed switches).
Any suggestions where to source those items?
Thanks in advance!
Tom

I took a set of (real, 25note) Hammond pedals. Did nothing more than add/build wood to cover the tines at all sides.

Then got pre-cut reed switches (contactless switching, includes the magnets)
from MIDI Hardware - MIDI Hardware https://midi-hardware.com/index.php?section=prod_info&product=REED32&R2=USD

Bought the PEDSCAN and a DC power jack.
Mounted the reed switch PCBs just so they're under each pedal/tine.
Wired and soldered PEDSCAN.
Put magnets on bottom of ea tine. Made fine adjustments of the magnet to set desired switching and set. Replaced DIY wood cover plate and yer done. Price of all this was minimal, the parts above and some plywood from store cut to make the wood surrounding cover.
Mounted my Hammond swell pedal on top (angle brackets).
Done. Real Hammond pedals midi-fied for clone use, better than all the other products made. Feel's great, contact-less switching, EZ to fix if ever necessary.

Con: heavy as the 25 hammy pedals are.

Edited by JoJoB3 (06/09/18 10:19 AM)

#2931931 - 06/08/18 08:30 PM Re: Anyone use these organ pedals made by jg3 tech? [Re: JoJoB3]
analogman1 Offline
Gold Member

Hey JoJoB3,
Thanks buddy, that helps in my quest to build these.
Much appreciated!
Tom

#2932031 - 06/09/18 12:50 PM Re: Anyone use these organ pedals made by jg3 tech? [Re: analogman1]
JoJoB3 Offline

BTW, I also just purchased the JG3 bench because NOBODY MAKES A PORTABLE/FOLDING B3 ORGAN BENCH THAT ISN'T PRICED FOR THE 1%'RS!...or fit over real Ham pedals (good gawd).

No, it doesn't look like the B3/A/C organ benches we know but I can care less, I'm f****** tired of the orig bench taking up unnecessary and needed space in vans (and I need one to fit over real 25note Ham pedals) This odd little item should solve a few issues for the road.

Edited by JoJoB3 (06/09/18 01:04 PM)

#2932077 - 06/09/18 08:49 PM Re: Anyone use these organ pedals made by jg3 tech? [Re: JoJoB3]
analogman1 Offline
Gold Member

Good luck! I'll be making the plunge soon, just not sure if I want to build the pedals (as you did) or purchase them from jg3...

#2932203 - 06/11/18 05:32 AM Re: Anyone use these organ pedals made by jg3 tech? [Re: JoJoB3]
bill bosco Offline

just sent off an email to this outfit , i have a pedalboard that's been laying around for years , salvaged off a hammond that got parted out .
i'd like to shorten down to 18 notes (for size and weight considerations ) been using a H.S. 20 note long throw board , but have never quite gotten used to them . how much did the kit run you ?

#2932426 - 06/12/18 10:53 AM Re: Anyone use these organ pedals made by jg3 tech? [Re: analogman1]
JoJoB3 Offline

Good luck! I'll be making the plunge soon, just not sure if I want to build the pedals (as you did) or purchase them from jg3...

Well, I still haul the real deal more often but so far the midified ham pedals have been working well for years without issue. I think at the most you need to adjust the magnet position to switch to your liking, but other than that it's basically the real deal under your feet at a fraction of the cost. And...contactless (reed switching) is most def the way to go (imo). All the others out there do not utilize this, calling for issues/repairs soon down the road.

#2932427 - 06/12/18 11:01 AM Re: Anyone use these organ pedals made by jg3 tech? [Re: bill bosco]
JoJoB3 Offline

Originally Posted By: bill bosco
just sent off an email to this outfit , i have a pedalboard that's been laying around for years , salvaged off a hammond that got parted out .
i'd like to shorten down to 18 notes (for size and weight considerations ) been using a H.S. 20 note long throw board , but have never quite gotten used to them . how much did the kit run you ?

Price is peanuts compared to what's avail out there, I think it all came together under $99 at the time (this was a while back. Everything is still working well). The only con being you install yerself, build a surround around the tines and to mount the pcb switches boards to (and the fact you're hauling the heavy orig pedals around).
The price and contactless reed switching makes it the wiser choice.

I got the Pedscan, reed switches for 25 AGO, DC power jack (you could use batteries otherwise).

#2932586 - 06/13/18 10:41 AM Re: Anyone use these organ pedals made by jg3 tech? [Re: JoJoB3]
WheelHead Offline

Originally Posted By: JoJoB3
I made my own using real 25-note Hammond pedals (midi jack, ctrlr board, pwr jack, and reed switches). Quite simple, and the end result has been perfect.

I have a set for that purpose if I want to do the project laying around (as Carlin said more of my "stuff") I bought a while back but I bought a Hammond B3P set of original pedals very cheap to use instead.

Very nice, however, they are made to plug-in the B3P and have no MIDI. I wound up having the pedals up on my bench while I looked at the circuit and made a conversion box about twice the size of a pack of cigarettes that had one of Petrov's midi boards in it along with a push button switch on the side of the box. Took a lot of soldering and I had to order ports for the box that matched the Hammond B3P (along with the standard MIDI port in the box) to use the Hammond cord to the box. Works perfectly though I did it a long time ago over a decade when I got a Hamichord. I got it (25 note Hammond B3P pedal board) from eBay very cheap but it was heavy in a huge box. This is one time I used Greyhound shipping and it came in one of their buses and I picked it up at the bus station. Cost me like 35 bucks to ship this huge box about 1000 miles away otherwise a lot more

WH

#2932661 - 06/13/18 08:16 PM Re: Anyone use these organ pedals made by jg3 tech? [Re: JoJoB3]
bill bosco Offline

they just got back to me ,they can rig it to work for 18 notes , gonna
give it a try , i think i can trim off a bit more weight also , we'll
see , thanks for the tip

#2937684 - 07/13/18 01:55 AM Re: Anyone use these organ pedals made by jg3 tech? [Re: JoJoB3]
bill bosco Offline

hello jojob3, just got the reed switches and board from midi-hardware ,
it's set up for 18 notes ( i have a spare hammond pedal board ) looks like i have to set it up so the magnets pass by the back of the boards ( 2 of them ) passing by in front is not possible because the connector
sockets used to connect the 2 boards would be in the way on 2 notes . was yours set up this way ? also , how close do you have the magnets to the reed switches . i think my pedal board will top out around 35 lbs or
thereabouts

Moderator:  Grave Bryce, Stephen Fortner