Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2896795 - 12/19/17 11:08 AM The HRD is in the care of Lowell Hunt of Hunt Amplification
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Phoenix Az
He took the back off the amp, showed me the potential trouble spots, said he would re-solder the joints on the boards (and there are a bunch of them) replace any bad components, replace potential problem components for $125, and we discussed putting new caps in for the extra $75 bringing the tab to $200 (which I OK'd) And he is going to take some of the fizz off of the drive channel) And try an have it done in a few days. While I was there another client came in, and assured me that I have come to the right guy to fix that amp. I have confidence in him, anything that goes wrong with the amp in a year he will fix gratis, or if it is a component like the transformer failure due to a future bad power tube, labor free and only the part at my expense. I feel OK about this guy. We shall see. He said he will try to have it back to me before Christmas.
Harvey Cedars is my stage name on Soundclick

GP Island
#2896806 - 12/19/17 11:38 AM Re: The HRD is in the care of Lowell Hunt of Hunt Amplification [Re: desertbluesman]
p90jr Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

hmmm... I'm tempted to ship my Tweed Blues Deville to him... I've had a lot of stuff done to it, but at a certain point my tech buddy just begged me to buy another amp...

#2896905 - 12/19/17 09:30 PM Re: The HRD is in the care of Lowell Hunt of Hunt Amplification [Re: p90jr]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Loc: Northern California
Sounds like a great update so far DBM and that you found the right guy! I can't wait for the next report! thu

#2896953 - 12/20/17 08:01 AM Re: The HRD is in the care of Lowell Hunt of Hunt Amplification [Re: Larryz]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
Hope this works out, DBM! Keep us posted, please.

http://www.novparolo.com

#2897028 - 12/20/17 03:12 PM Re: The HRD is in the care of Lowell Hunt of Hunt Amplification [Re: Winston Psmith]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

He called a few hours ago to say it is fixed, I asked him if he knew what was wrong with it and he said "not really" I just replaced the parts that usually go bad in the amp, all of the common ones, and it works fine now. Plus he was concerned he may not have taken enough fizz off of the more drive channel, so he wants me to bring a guitar and play it and if it needs more, he will fix that right then and there. So far I am pleased with his talk, now to see if the talk is fact..... maņana.......

#2897227 - 12/21/17 01:12 PM Re: The HRD is in the care of Lowell Hunt of Hunt Amplification [Re: desertbluesman]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

The Hot Rod Deluxe is reincarnated with new caps and whatever else the repair guy did. He said he would just fix every common problem with this model (Which are numerous) and re-solder all the solder joints (which are very numerous) $200. $125 for the repairs and $75 for the caps.

#2897230 - 12/21/17 01:29 PM Re: The HRD is in the care of Lowell Hunt of Hunt Amplification [Re: desertbluesman]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Originally Posted By: desertbluesman
The Hot Rod Deluxe is reincarnated with new caps and whatever else the repair guy did. He said he would just fix every common problem with this model (Which are numerous) and re-solder all the solder joints (which are very numerous) $200. $125 for the repairs and $75 for the caps.

How can such a successful product have numerous problems?

#2897253 - 12/21/17 03:38 PM Re: The HRD is in the care of Lowell Hunt of Hunt Amplification [Re: Scott Fraser]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Scott Fraser
Originally Posted By: desertbluesman

How can such a successful product have numerous problems?

Because It is cheaply built in third world countries. Actually the reason it is so successful is because you can play any room with the HRD from small to major large and do that for $599 when I bought mine (New ones cost $729 now). It sounds great on the clean channel and is an excellent pedal platform. A mid grade to high end amp cost 3x to 4x that much, and probably will also fail but a lot less and after much longer use. I have had mine since the year 2001 or 2002. But it got very light use at home. I only had the amp out once just after I bought it.

#2898258 - 12/27/17 08:30 PM Re: The HRD is in the care of Lowell Hunt of Hunt Amplification [Re: desertbluesman]
p90jr Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

It has become one of the default backline amps... the HR Deluxe and HR DeVille seem to be taking over for the Twin in backline rental company arsenals.

My Tweed Blues Deville (only has one drive channel) is one of the first years... and it was made in California. It has all the flaws and problems the Hot Rod models have... it's design and choice of component problems, apparently.

#2898310 - 12/28/17 09:33 AM Re: The HRD is in the care of Lowell Hunt of Hunt Amplification [Re: p90jr]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: p90jr
My Tweed Blues Deville (only has one drive channel) is one of the first years... and it was made in California. It has all the flaws and problems the Hot Rod models have... it's design and choice of component problems, apparently.

The amp guy who fixed mine told me the Deville's also have the same problems as the Hot Rods.

#2901250 - 01/10/18 06:08 PM Re: The HRD is in the care of Lowell Hunt of Hunt Amplification [Re: desertbluesman]
Iconoclast Offline

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Love Lowell. He just fixed my Motion Sound KBR3D two months ago. Soundman tripped on one of my cords and ripped the leslie speed control jack completely out of the amp.

I call him "the amp whisperer."

Good dude, if you can get him on the phone! He's got plenty of work these days.

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

#2901431 - 01/11/18 11:47 AM Re: The HRD is in the care of Lowell Hunt of Hunt Amplification [Re: Iconoclast]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Iconoclast
Love Lowell. He just fixed my Motion Sound KBR3D two months ago. Soundman tripped on one of my cords and ripped the leslie speed control jack completely out of the amp.

I call him "the amp whisperer."

Good dude, if you can get him on the phone! He's got plenty of work these days.

He was very responsive to me once he knew that the repair he did was not quite right, in fact he had the amp 3x before he got it right, and he was kind enough to bring it back to this end of town and I met him at his house to receive it and drop it off.

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose