Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2896739 - 12/19/17 07:34 AM song of the week / new or old
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
What's getting yer attention currently ?
Why ?

Here we go w/one of the prettiest recordings I know.
Steve Miller makes nice (don't let the mask scare ya)
Dig the pedal steel effects courtesy of "Sneaky" Pete Kleinow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSoGGKzQkuA

Yer turn....

GP Island
#2896757 - 12/19/17 08:33 AM Re: song of the week / new or old [Re: d]
hurricane hugo Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

love the '80s state-of-the-art video effects, too:

#2896771 - 12/19/17 09:32 AM Re: song of the week / new or old [Re: hurricane hugo]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Loc: Northern California
I kind of like falling back on this tune:

Love the Strat sound and Chris and his band do an excellent job each time they play it live...even if no one is around! cool

#2896848 - 12/19/17 02:54 PM Re: song of the week / new or old [Re: Larryz]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
I've picked up on this CD again recently after a long lay-off. Especially this highly favored track. Has a sort of late '60's-early '70's flavor to me......

Whitefang

#2896852 - 12/19/17 03:06 PM Re: song of the week / new or old [Re: whitefang]
picker Offline
10k Club

Loc: Near 12th Street and Vine...
Back when I was teaching, I ran the college radio station. One day, we got this album in from one of thr record companies that serviced our station.
The Bears?
Never heard of them.
But I had heard of Adrian Belew, so I thought I'd check it out.
When I heard the kick off on this tune, I was hooked. The brittle-brite razor sharp guitar tone was so different from anything else I was hearing, and that first line "Mama's little baby likes fear and torture" made me laugh out loud.
That was about 1990. It still grabs me .

#2896955 - 12/20/17 08:04 AM Re: song of the week / new or old [Re: picker]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
This one came to mind in light of the "Forgotten Guitarists" thread. An early Prog group that hardly anyone remembers or references.

http://www.novparolo.com

#2897047 - 12/20/17 04:38 PM Re: song of the week / new or old [Re: Winston Psmith]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I'd like to hear more abt why/what but I always like to hear nore abt what why/why what, eh.....?

#2897171 - 12/21/17 10:04 AM Re: song of the week / new or old [Re: d]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
Originally Posted By: d
I'd like to hear more abt why/what but I always like to hear nore abt what why/why what, eh.....

Not sure of the "Why?", just something I thought of recently, and really wanted to hear again. As to "Why & What?", IMHO, the Strawbs really show the link between British Prog Rock and British Folk Rock, and I still love this song, even after, what, 40 years now, give or take?

Here's another all-but-forgotten band, unless you're a fan of the Canterbury Scene, in which case, you'll enjoy this . . .

http://www.novparolo.com

#2897179 - 12/21/17 10:23 AM Re: song of the week / new or old [Re: hurricane hugo]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

deleted duplicate post

#2897198 - 12/21/17 11:32 AM Re: song of the week / new or old [Re: Winston Psmith]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: hurricane hugo
love the '80s state-of-the-art video effects, too:

I wonder whether that cat was walking on a treadmill or did the camera op have to stroll along side them for some of those shots...?

Originally Posted By: Larryz
I kind of like falling back on this tune:

Love the Strat sound and Chris and his band do an excellent job each time they play it live...even if no one is around! cool

Agreed.
I esp like the chordal splash at 2:11 & the arpeggiations at various places' sometime both guitarists are playing diff arpeggiated lines simultaneously twothumbs .... & what a relaxed perf.

Originally Posted By: whitefang
I've picked up on this CD again recently after a long lay-off. Especially this highly favored track. Has a sort of late '60's-early '70's flavor to me......

Kinda lugubrious but great snare sound & cymbal ring at 1:34. Interesting vox effect during final refrain.
Thanks.
Originally Posted By: picker
... that first line "Mama's little baby likes fear and torture" made me laugh out loud.

Me, too !
Originally Posted By: Winston Psmith
This one came to mind in light of the "Forgotten Guitarists" thread. An early Prog group that hardly anyone remembers or references.

Those may be the longest intro & outro sections of a song I've ever heard.
I confess I was getting sleepy til that funky kboard line poppped up at 3:29 & kept me in the game long enough to hear that neat gtr knot that opened the instrumental section at 4:52.
Originally Posted By: Winston Psmith
... another all-but-forgotten band, unless you're a fan of the Canterbury Scene, in which case, you'll enjoy this . . .

Not yet a fan of the Canterbury scene but maybe someday...
That one was bit more my style, esp the gtr /drum duet that kicked things off.
The drummer really caught my attention, though, w/what was played during abt 3:00~4:30. Fantastic, as was the bit c.7:00~7:40 or so.

Thanks!

#2901367 - 01/11/18 08:14 AM Re: song of the week / new or old [Re: d]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

This one's not really a song but an instrumental perf that's caught me for the fiery playing of Jimmy Herring & the 2nd guitarist, who I think is Tom Cuarna [ https://www.tomguarna.com ].

Perf opens w/ a 1879s style jazz-funk bs-dr invitation before hitting the tune's head [abt 0:45].
Herring plays a scalding solo [1:10 ~ 2:55] featuring some clever shifting motifs & well placed vib bar work.
He definitely puts the rock back into jazz rock. rawk

That's followed by a bs solo w/ some drm-triggered bits (that I haven't fully figured out yet) & a kb solo which JH comps behind [3:50 ~4:50].
Catch the funky stuff just aft the 4 min mark !

Abt 4:45 the bassist calls an audible to the apparently bored Lenny White & the hit the head again before the 2nd gtr's solo [4:30~6:40] which follows the same melodic arch as Herring's, though w/less overt rock flavor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Njlb7EEsfMs

Anyone know the name of this thing ? idk

#2902375 - 01/15/18 06:40 PM Re: song of the week / new or old [Re: d]
hurricane hugo Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Been listening to The Who's Quadrophenia lots lately:

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose