Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2896561 - 12/18/17 06:08 AM That time of the year ... Resolutions!
EddiePlaysBass Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Belgium
Hello All,

Last year's thread can be found here. Let's get this thing going again!

My resolutions from last year:

- continue getting life on track (not quite there yet)
- play more bass
- play more ukulele
- either get those two bands on track or dump em both
- try the weight loss thing again

Someone pointed out that getting your life on track can take a while. I agree grin I have played more bass (getting a fretless bass was a good incentive) but played less ukulele. Both bands are gone in the meantime, but most of the weight is still there.

Having said that, I am working out a lot more (and with more regularity) which is good in itself. Practicing sports has become a goal onto itself, which I find more satisfactory than doing it as a means to lose weight. For 2018 I do plan on working out better. I need to get on the road more and run more often / farther etc. But in addition I have made some (IMHO) good changes to my weight lifting schedules and have incorporated a weekly/bi-weekly game of squash with several friends.

I started a band in 2017, which is slowly morphing into a 60s R&B type thing and could be fun! Playing fretless exclusively in that one. I have vague plans for an acoustic duo in which I will mainly play electric upright and possibly ukulele and just today I got a mail from a very good keys player, asking if I was still available for/interested in a corporate/wedding type band. Given the quality of the keys and guitar player I affirmed and asked to be kept in the loop.

One additional resolution I have is to work through the "Blues In All 12 Keys" book. While I do have the tab edition, I will need the written music for rhythm reference. My sight reading is still practically nil but I do work on it several times a week.

Anyone want to play?

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

BP Island
#2896593 - 12/18/17 09:21 AM Re: That time of the year ... Resolutions! [Re: EddiePlaysBass]
Danzilla Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Baltimore, MD
I didn't really make any resolutions last time, just a "state of the player" report.

Aside from playing bass at church, I didn't play any live gigs, or even any recording sessions. In late April/early May I did start playing with a guitarist & drummer, with the goal being to learn the guitarist's originals and play them live, then record them. While the three of us clicked relatively well, we've struggled to get a singer. Had one guy who cam to three or four rehearsals, then backed out. (Not sure if he was really what we wanted, anyway.). Now we have a guy with some major recording & touring experience who's been with us since September. Goal is to have a gig in late February/early March and be truly ready for it. If I don't kill him first...

The only piece of gear I bought all year was a T Rex power supply for my pedal board. Which I haven't been using much.

I did get to a couple of live events: Neal Morse Band in August, and ProgStock in October. Both were great events.

So here's to the chance of more live gigs in the coming year. And maybe, after many years of dreaming about it, finally getting a fretless five string.

#2896596 - 12/18/17 09:46 AM Re: That time of the year ... Resolutions! [Re: Danzilla]
Bob Gollihur Moderator Offline
Gollihur Music, Big Cheese Emeritus
Platinum Member

Loc: Ocean View NJ, USA
I could almost copy and paste 2017...

The fellow old guy trio I formed did play several gigs this season. Only gear purchase was an Alesis SA-16 to help keep us on tempo and allow me a little more freedom beyond beat-keeper; it has been very effective, and adds a layer of polish to our sound.

Never thought I'd say this, we just took some time off for the lead vocalist to have a hip transplant. Don't laugh, this may eventually happen to you.

I really need to force my ass out of the comfy chair to hear more live music and sit in to cultivate more opportunities. I've never been a very social guy, and my speech issue doesn't help.

We're heading down to NOLA shortly, and I resolve to get out to hear more live performances than last year.

- Life is too short for bad tone -

#2899290 - 01/03/18 04:46 AM Re: That time of the year ... Resolutions! [Re: Bob Gollihur]
Seamy ALB Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Ireland
Just checked out last years and all is just bubbling along fairly similar. My current work contract is due to end in a few months, this year I am going to secure permanent day job security. I am still spinning and I am going to do a few sportive cycling events this year.

ALB are finishing of our 3rd album for a February release, we have devised a method of self recording so this should be a more regular occurrence (writing is just great to do!!).

I had a fairly busy year on the cover band front, hopefully this will continue. Still no EUB work, if I do nothing with it this year I may sell it - just need a gig!

On the Gear front after trying to go exclusively "in ear" with a GK Plex I came to the decision that only works when some one else is mixing the gig and it is a huge PA, the in ears are good for vocals but I love the warm rumble & punch of an amp. I got a Peavey Tour head and it sounds great with my Ampeg cab.

Bass wise I am still playing my Warwick Corvette 6 as my main bass, man I love that thing!! The tones on the new ALB sound great so far!!

All the best for 2018!!

#2899334 - 01/03/18 08:09 AM Re: That time of the year ... Resolutions! [Re: Seamy ALB]
jcadmus Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Connecticut
Eat better.

Read more.

Play bass more.

#2899341 - 01/03/18 08:29 AM Re: That time of the year ... Resolutions! [Re: jcadmus]
Danzilla Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

... and write more? Something, oh, maybe "EXTRAordinary"?

#2899523 - 01/04/18 06:15 AM Re: That time of the year ... Resolutions! [Re: Danzilla]
lug Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: League City,TX,UNITED STATES
Eat more

Read more

Play bass better
I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

#2899825 - 01/05/18 09:32 AM Re: That time of the year ... Resolutions! [Re: lug]
Danzilla Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Well, one item down: 1st gig is booked for March 10th. Now we have to confirm a band name. And yes, I've been re-reading the infamous "Name My Band" thread.

#2899831 - 01/05/18 10:04 AM Re: That time of the year ... Resolutions! [Re: Danzilla]
Paul K Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Ithaca, NY
Successful with the resolution to drink more champagne. Metaphorically and otherwise.

Fronting my own band resolution results: It's kinda working out, but better. My wife is a wonderful singer, but never did it in a band. So now she it, with me, in a 5 piece with another couple and a drummer. Winter hiatus while the other couple winters in Costa Rica, but we'll hit the ground running in the spring and book some gigs.

My spouse has sung a couple tunes with backups on others for a couple of my solo gigs. I think I've got her hooked;)