Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Crumar Mojo 61 Review - (LONG)

Hurry up! Go update your Mojo61 now! This is the new firmware with the new Rotary Sim refinements (same as Mojo VB3CE2 v2.4)!

Enjoy your Crumar instrument!

http://www.crumar.it/?a=support&b=34

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I have updated to version 1.3. (Dec 2017) and am most pleased with the improvements to the Leslie sim. Before the update I was using it mostly in Stopped Cabinet mode, but now I am digging it with slow rotary on. Before it made me almost a little queasy, like a digital effect, but now it is quite pleasant. And the top octave shrillness has been mellowed, which is what I was hoping for. Excellent! I dont need a Vent :)

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

anyone with a single manual Mojo install the latest update besides Jazz+? It's being discussed on the dual manual thread but I haven't seen any comments here other than his. Guido says it's exactly the same for both and I'm wondering what others think.
:nopity:

I have updated to version 1.3. (Dec 2017) and am most pleased with the improvements to the Leslie sim. Before the update I was using it mostly in Stopped Cabinet mode, but now I am digging it with slow rotary on. Before it made me almost a little queasy, like a digital effect, but now it is quite pleasant. And the top octave shrillness has been mellowed, which is what I was hoping for. Excellent! I dont need a Vent :)

Hmmm, I'm now a little perplexed. Al Quinn wrote (in the Crumar Mojo (Dual Manual) Update v.2.4 thread ):

".. I installed v.2.4 and wanted to love it, but am sorry to report I do not. In particular, the upper octave of 888000000 with the sim on Fast is not pleasing to my ears: there's something electronic / shrill in the sound that causes me to not want to hold notes in that register for long. I tried it through my studio monitors and then the SS V3.."

So we have one person indicating that the leslie now has a shrillness in the top octave that it didn't have before and another person saying that there was a shrillness in the top octave that has now mellowed. One is a Mojo 61 and the other is a Mojo dual manual. Perhaps they are using different organ models or perhaps it is differences in the two instruments. :pop:

I hope for the Gemini module there is an allowance to choose between the two leslies, so that you don't have to go back to a prior firmware version if you don't like the newest leslie. Just allow both versions. I'm assuming that additional improvements or new features will be added to the Gemini and if you like the original leslie it becomes lost with further upgrades as I'm sure the newer upgrades will have the newest leslie but it might not be the leslie that the user prefers.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

People should know by now that organ updates cause wildly divergent opinions, often diametrically opposed.

I vehemently disagree with many things others have written and find myself thinking "have they ever even played a real tonewheel?" Meanwhile, they are probably thinking the same about what I said.

Bottom line: clones are now so good that we are screaming about subtle details. You must try it yourself - that's the only way to be sure. And prepare to go back to a previous version if you prefer it. There was once a Mojo update years ago that I thought was heinous. I went back to my previous version and waited for them to correct the offense, which they did.

It's all good! These are great days we are living in bruh!

Moe

---

So we have one person indicating that the leslie now has a shrillness in the top octave that it didn't have before and another person saying that there was a shrillness in the top octave that has now mellowed.

People should know by now that organ updates cause wildly divergent opinions, often diametrically opposed.

I would surmise that unless everyone uses the same amplification, which of course they don't, this would also factor in to what people are hearing. I did not hear what others heard until using expensive headphones. So now I don't play through those head phones and I'm good. :laugh:

Bottom line: clones are now so good that we are screaming about subtle details.

A few weeks ago while visiting a follow forum member we ending up having a conversation about this while auditioning Hammond VSTi's. I left it at, "If it needs to be better than this I'll just have to play my A 100 through my 142." Life is good. :thu:

:nopity:

I played the updated 1.3 Leslie sim a lot today and it is smooth in the top octave, its a fine improvement. I use the 1965 B3 tone set, it is the mellowest of the lot. I believe that the developer knows what he is doing and keeps making improvements; i am fairly sure he runs updates past his hand picked circle of experts and would not make the sim anything but improved.. I have run out of any criticisms at this point... well there is always work to be done on the Acoustic piano, :)

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

I am very glad to hear of the Crumar Mojo leslie sim update.

When I was demoing the Mojo 61 in March, I just didn't get it. Nobody that I knew about had said much of anything regarding not liking it, but to me the sim was a real deal breaker - then.

So I am hoping for better things because I know how committed the people at Crumar are.

I wanted to like it, but at that time.... there were other things I liked more.

Too bad, because it can be a while before I get anywhere near these things.

Hi Guys,

I want to point out some few things about the new update both for mojo and for mojo61.

This update changes basic settings of rotary simulation, the Algo for it is different (you can see details in the txt file together with the update).

But, rotary simulation is an important, maybe one of the most important part of tonewheel sound... but it's not the only one!

Switch to a new version of rotary simulation, changes drastically the "sound" result and this means that tonewheels setting the before could give one particulare result, now give another result.

Luckily mojo and mojo61 are adjustable in the settings "pre-rotary" is such a deep way that will be easy to find out a new and improved "sound" result... starting from the 20 (22) different tonewheels, scaling, resistor wires... really a lot of different shades there for you to play around.

At the end, such level of details, are there exactly for find the right sound for you...

www.crumar.it

info@crumar.it

Hmmm, I'm now a little perplexed. Al Quinn wrote (in the Crumar Mojo (Dual Manual) Update v.2.4 thread ):

".. I installed v.2.4 and wanted to love it, but am sorry to report I do not. In particular, the upper octave of 888000000 with the sim on Fast is not pleasing to my ears: there's something electronic / shrill in the sound that causes me to not want to hold notes in that register for long. I tried it through my studio monitors and then the SS V3.."

So we have one person indicating that the leslie now has a shrillness in the top octave that it didn't have before and another person saying that there was a shrillness in the top octave that has now mellowed. One is a Mojo 61 and the other is a Mojo dual manual. Perhaps they are using different organ models or perhaps it is differences in the two instru

I'd like to clarify as it seems that while I was correctly quoted, I've been misunderstood. I did not say that the new rotary sim "has a shrillness in the top octave that it didn't have before." Also, as I reread what I wrote I see nothing in what I said that should cause someone to think that I have that opinion. As a matter of fact, I did not compare the new rotary sim with the previous rotary sim. I was only commenting on the new rotary sim. I compared the new rotary sim to the Vent 2 and in a later test to my A100 / Leslie 145. I just wanted to know if I could stop bringing the Vent 2 to gigs. I feel no need to go back to the previous version of software. I'll continue to bring the Vent 2 to gigs (which to me isn't a big deal) and am loving my Mojo!

Not sure if this question fits here or in the dual manual Mojo thread but here it is.

The newer dual manual Mojos and all of the Mojo61s have an action (or key response/ trigger point) that is different from the older Mojos. Is that correct? And if so, how does one determine if a particular dual manual Mojo has the newer action?

I'm wondering about this because I get the feeling that the Hammond sim / Leslie sim is getting so good (for all clones out there) that it's the finger-to-sound connection that can really make the difference. So that sways me toward a Mojo. My next thought is which one, dual or single. With the new update for the dual, and if I can get a used one that has the newer action, I'm tempted to go for that one.

I vehemently disagree with many things others have written and find myself thinking "have they ever even played a real tonewheel?" Meanwhile, they are probably thinking the same about what I said.

Bottom line: clones are now so good that we are screaming about subtle details. You must try it yourself - that's the only way to be sure. And prepare to go back to a previous version if you prefer it. There was once a Mojo update years ago that I thought was heinous. I went back to my previous version and waited for them to correct the offense, which they did.

It's all good! These are great days we are living in bruh!

You are so correct. The current state of the best digital organs is so good that subjectivity takes over the evaluation.

Thomas Shea

Nebraska

• 5 weeks later...
What are the default settings for the updated rotary sim? I have mine still tweaked for the older rotary sim and cant remember the default settings.

• 4 weeks later...

New firmware announced this afternoon:

Mojo61 new firmware release v.1.31

Version 1.31 - February 2018

- Added: New parameter for the Reed EP that adjusts the amount of resonances

- Added: The FX1 Depth parameter can now also adjust the range of the Wha-Wha effect

- Changed: Sends MIDI CC#64 events when Sustain is applied to VB3 for either upper, lower or both manuals

- Changed: the web-app editor switches to idle mode when the browser loses focus, thus reducing the battery consumption when accessing from a mobile device

Thank you I love that Crumar keeps making my beloved Mojo 61 even better.

I imagined that Mitch Towne might have chimed in with his view of the update by now. Waiting (im)patiently for his thoughts.

I didn't see my name invoked in this thread until now! Sorry for the delay! :laugh:

But, I am glad I waited to comment on the leslie sim update until I had a chance to really test it out.

In short: I love it. Major improvement over the original Mojo simulation. Being predominantly a jazz player, I am most concerned with how a simulation sounds on "stop." The new simulation sounds much more full and open on stop. The percussion snaps more and the whole thing just sounds more "live." I usually use my Motion Sound KP500 with it, so I am used to a stereo field. But at a rehearsal this week, I ran mono through a PA speaker and was really surprised at how good it sounded mono. It still had that roomy clarity, which was surprising to me.

I am one of the rare people who isn't in love with the Ventilator. I have tried it with so many clones and real organs with a variety of amplification systems. It definitely has some good points and it is probably the best outboard leslie sim. That being said, it always left me flat. With the new Mojo update, I definitely won't consider bringing it out. It isn't needed and the Mojo sim, for me, does a better job overall. The Vent might sound a bit more realistic at fast speeds, but I haven't spent any time tweaking the speed parameters of the Mojo sim yet.

Something else I want to add...a few posts up, Andrea commented that a new leslie sim will greatly effect the tone of the overall instrument and that experimentation should be done to re-dial in your sound. I agree with this and I highly suggest experimenting with the different tonewheel sets. I think that is one of the most underrated aspect of the Mojo - there are literally 22 different organs in it! (The Legend has 3, and they aren't that vastly different.) Each of the 22 organs has a different character and that can really make a difference depending on your amplification system. Add in the 6 different generator shaping modes, and you have a TON of options for getting as close to what you are looking for as possible.

For example, I have been using my 1956 B3 tonewheel set (#4 in the software) for a long time. However, that set is really aggressive and mid-range heavy. It always seemed like a little much with the Motion Sound amp which is also strong in the mids. So, recently, I have been using one of the A102 tonewheel sets which is a bit less pushy over all, and it sounds fantastic!

So, the bottom line is that Guido has once again make a fantastic upgrade and has made it free to all Mojo users. (And I know the update is coming for the Gemini as well.)

Endorsing Artist/Ambassador for MAG Organs and Motion Sound Amplifiers, Organ player for SRT - www.srtgroove.com

Note: I use the 1965 B3 set because it is the least aggressive in the top octave. With the 65 I dont always have to back off the volume when I play those top notes like I do with other sets. And the updated Leslie sim makes them even smoother up there too. It sure sounds good through a pair of EV SXa 360 powered speakers.

The new Leslie sim also added the ability to tame the high frequency content. A real Leslie is pretty bandwidth limited, and in the previous versions too much high frequency content was being passed through for my tastes. I could especially hear it in stuff like keyclick or the upper drawbars. The new parameter allows you to dial this back for a much more authentic simulation. I found that slowing down the horn on fast/tremolo helps a lot too.

I'm loving my Mojo 61 and recently doubled down and purchased a second one for the rehearsal space.

One of the unintended consequences of software updates is exactly this, isn't it? You poke around looking for what's new, and think you've found something that actually has been there a while. :D:thu:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I adjusted the Horn EQ and it did take some of the shrillness out of the top end. The other was the balance, i.e. slightly more drum that horn. Between the two and the EQ this is how I was able to get a better balance up and down the keybed so that the top end is mildly rather than significantly louder.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band