Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2896735 - 12/19/17 07:13 AM Re: 2018 ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Loc: Northern California
I found another long version of Steele's Bio, who's name starting out was Tommy Hicks. He had a massive teen following during his 4 years of Rock and Roll in the UK, but he didn't really stick with it and graduated to acting and dancing in films and stage play, performances, etc. +1 on "enough" and that's why I decided not to post the Bio LOL! Hofner sounds cool to me for the guitar brand and that's a pretty elaborate head stock. It Definitely has the 50's vibe written all over it...

There are always going to be those that get inducted in the HOF and I have to ask myself, why? But, more power to them! I got a few more of my picks in this year so I'm a happy camper! cool

GP Island
#2896746 - 12/19/17 07:58 AM Re: 2018 ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME [Re: Larryz]
d Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
Let's not rename this the Tommy Steele thread but just b/c some fans built a long bio of him online doesn't mean he was influential.
Find some English rocker citing him as an influence (good luck! rolleyes ).
Everything I've seen mentioning him is as an example of the anemic quality of most Brit rock before The Beatles & other than the spiffy dance moves in that earlier clip, I've seen & , most importantly, heard nothing to contradict that.

For those who are almost certain to deadhorse I suggest you consider this: Award systems, from Nobel to R&R HOF, are generally concerned that every winner is deserving which is not the same thing as saying that every deserving person wins.
Get it ? It's not like a suburban tetherball league where y' get a trophy for trying.

There's diff between being a game-changer & just being good.
They could have 50 new abductees---I mean inductees grin ---every yr & somebody would still be wondering why their kid didn't get in.

#2896749 - 12/19/17 08:07 AM Re: 2018 ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME [Re: d]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

https://www.allmusic.com/artist/tommy-steele-mn0000515856/biography <---it wasn't just some fans...here's the bio I wasn't going to post LOL! I think it's an interesting history. I doubt you'll find any testimonials. I'll try and leave the Tommy Steele story again LOL! cool

#2896756 - 12/19/17 08:33 AM Re: 2018 ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME [Re: Larryz]
d Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Larryz
biography <---it wasn't just some fans..

Actually the 1st one was from wikipedia, inherently a fan product.
Originally Posted By: Larryz
I'll try and leave the Tommy Steele story again

snax

#2896856 - 12/19/17 03:18 PM Re: 2018 ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME [Re: d]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
I'll leave it to. The Steele discussion that is...

All it was about was that not everyone who gets in deserves it, many do, and every year this stuff comes up and there's hue and cry about who gets picked and who doesn't.

And not every inductee was ever an influence to anybody , but still gets inducted. And in another forum it was mentioned that KEELY SMITH had just died at 89, and her long time husband LOUIS PRIMA( "Sing, Sing, Sing", "Jump, Jive and Wail") was also not inductd to the R'n'R hall even though NOT a rock'n'roll artist, there were several familiar rock'n'roll elements in his music, and there were others from differing genres who were inducted to the HOF. And STILL, what I, you or anyone ELSE thinks and feels ain't worth two dead flies to those who make the decisions. The best the rest of us can do is to agree to disagree.
Whitefang PS: Dusty Springfield made the HOF too. So, name me ONE rocker who claims they picked up a guitar and decided he wanted to kick 'em out after hearing "I Only want To Be With You" ! wink

#2896883 - 12/19/17 05:31 PM Re: 2018 ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME [Re: whitefang]
d Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Maybe none but it's quite possible some young women heard this homage to Aretha & decided to become rock singers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dp4339EbVn8

& before that there was this, which somehow melded all those 50s style girl groups w/a touch of that style The Beatles brought to their covers of proto-soul tunes (dig the sections 0:46~0:52 & 1:41~1:51 where she seems to be channeling the same spirit John Lennon tapped.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXP7tt7TQUk

Can't get much more R&R than singing w/ Martha & the Vandellas.

#2896906 - 12/19/17 09:35 PM Re: 2018 ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME [Re: d]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

1995 Inductees, Martha and the Vandellas are one of my favorites...speaking of one of my favorites here's the song for me!

cool

#2896932 - 12/20/17 04:47 AM Re: 2018 ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME [Re: Larryz]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Martha did a re-work of that tune in '84 retitled "Dancing In The Seats" to help promote the Detroit Tigers'world series bid.

Reeves then went on( after music) to become a Detroit city council member from '05-'09.

The Hall is woefully short on female and girl group inductees, but those that made it did earn it. But these young ladies didn't seem to make it:

#2898069 - 12/26/17 05:00 PM Re: 2018 ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME [Re: whitefang]
d Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

"Dancing in the Street" always gets cited as the sonic inspiration for the song "Satisfaction" (the Strolling Ruins) but this one, which was closer in date to the Stones's future Snickers bar commercial, always seemed the more likely direct source.

BTW, note the name of Earl Van Dyke prominently displayed above the stage. The Motown house band actually toured behind some acts !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mG9m-6dVKRI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgFa_aj_TBg

FWIW, kudos to Ms Reeves on her stint in DTown politix but she's hardly retired from music.
She continues to perform both solo and with her Vandellas—sisters Lois (Motown-era Vandella since 1967) and Delphine (since mid-1980s) & she made a cameo appearance in the film Tenacious D in The Pick of Destiny, as a passer-by listening to the duo on the boardwalk.

More significantly she's a board member of SAG-AFTRA Detroit chapter. In 2007, she testified before Congress on behalf of musicians, session singers and recording artists for better wages and royalties. She was honored for her hard work and courage in 2007 by delegates and members of AFTRA.
She is also on the board of SoundExchange, a non-profit performance rights organization that collects royalties on behalf of sound recording copyright owners and featured artists for non-interactive digital transmissions, including satellite and internet radio.

#2898080 - 12/26/17 06:43 PM Re: 2018 ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME [Re: d]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Sure. The Funk Brothers often went on the road with some of Motown's major acts. And some members did "side" work with local and some out of town jazz and funk bands too.

Top notch group of musical excellence.

"House band"! Cripes.... crazy
Whitefang

#2898150 - 12/27/17 08:14 AM Re: 2018 ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME [Re: whitefang]
d Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

#2898161 - 12/27/17 09:31 AM Re: 2018 ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME [Re: d]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

If I ever get around to writing and copyrighting anything, I'll be looking into joining that Sound Exchange service/membership... cool

#2898229 - 12/27/17 03:28 PM Re: 2018 ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME [Re: Larryz]
d Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

I suspect that's mostly for online/bcast monitoring of older work but ....

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose