Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#2897041 - 12/20/17 03:57 PM Re: Winter NAMM 2018 Warmup (NAMMticipation) [Re: ElmerJFudd]
ElmerJFudd Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: USA, greater NY area
http://www.musicradar.com/news/namm-2018-news-rumours-teasers-and-predictions

"- We’re hoping that Waldorf’s long-awaited Quantum polysynth will get an airing; pre-orders are now being taken and it’s scheduled to ship in January

- Given that it’s been available to pre-order for six months, Behringer will be under pressure to show a finished version of its Minimoog-cloning Behringer D synth. Inevitably, it’ll also be quizzed about its on/off plans to emulate a whole load of other synths, too

- Another well-known music technology manufacturer is set to unveil additions to its audio interface range, promising great performance at a relatively low price

- Following Gibson’s decision to end development of its products, is it too much to hope that we might hear some good news about Cakewalk?

- As a general theme, we’re going to stick our neck out and say that this could be the year of the analogue polysynth. The market is flooded with monophonic instruments, so it feels like the next logical step

- We know that both Ableton Live 10 and FL Studio 20 are scheduled for release in 2018, but we doubt that either will be on display at NAMM"

KC Island
#2897072 - 12/20/17 07:47 PM Re: Winter NAMM 2018 Warmup (NAMMticipation) [Re: GovernorSilver]
newkeys Offline

Loc: San Francisco
Originally Posted By: GovernorSilver
The mystery Korg "game changer/whatever" synth - the one that starts with a P and is 8 English letters long. I probably won't want it but I'm curious as to what it will turn out to be.

I'm really hoping Korg raises its analog polysynth game another step, at least in the oscillator design, and doesn't just do a Minilogue with big keys and more polyphony.

An analog poly with Volca-style FM stacked on it would sound amazing, but seems unlikely.

#2897095 - 12/21/17 01:03 AM Re: Winter NAMM 2018 Warmup (NAMMticipation) [Re: ElmerJFudd]
Rod S Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: São Paulo, Brasil
Simple wish - and iPad application for the Kronos that duplicates most of the front panel.

There is a 3rd party one that I may take a shot next year. When I first looked it at it was limited, but they've since added features.

I'm curious as to where Korg is going with the iOS apps and if they will announce something. I'd love to see some newer stuff like a MS2000 or a Prophecy.

#2897162 - 12/21/17 09:30 AM Re: Winter NAMM 2018 Warmup (NAMMticipation) [Re: Rod S]
LX88 Offline
Platinum Member

I too am curious regarding how Casio is going to step up to the plate this year.

I played their hybrid piano a couple years ago and noticed that the sample in that was up to par with about anything else out there.

If that sample finally makes it into a portable they are going to have a winner.

#2897262 - 12/21/17 05:25 PM Re: Winter NAMM 2018 Warmup (NAMMticipation) [Re: LX88]
ElmerJFudd Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

RATStands Ltd
booth 8730 (Hall B)

25 seconds in...

This thing folds flat, can take some serious abuse, and folds flat - fits in a bag.

#2897265 - 12/21/17 05:45 PM Re: Winter NAMM 2018 Warmup (NAMMticipation) [Re: wcsound]
seanl Offline

4. Kurzweil PC3LE7

#2897617 - 12/23/17 12:16 PM Re: Winter NAMM 2018 Warmup (NAMMticipation) [Re: seanl]
Geoff Grace Offline
10k Club

KV331 Audio has released SynthMaster 2.9. The new update adds wavetable synthesis, new factory presets, and an in-app-store. More here:

SynthMaster 2.9

Keyboard Corner thread here:

SynthMaster 2.9 Update Released

Best,

Geoff

Enthusiasm powers the world.

Craig Anderton's Archiving Article

#2897627 - 12/23/17 01:07 PM Re: Winter NAMM 2018 Warmup (NAMMticipation) [Re: Geoff Grace]
Synthoid Offline
10k Club

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
The new Motif is coming. With a much easier, compact user interface.

#2897645 - 12/23/17 02:07 PM Re: Winter NAMM 2018 Warmup (NAMMticipation) [Re: newkeys]
GovernorSilver Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Washington DC
Originally Posted By: newkeys
Originally Posted By: GovernorSilver
The mystery Korg "game changer/whatever" synth - the one that starts with a P and is 8 English letters long. I probably won't want it but I'm curious as to what it will turn out to be.

I'm really hoping Korg raises its analog polysynth game another step, at least in the oscillator design, and doesn't just do a Minilogue with big keys and more polyphony.

An analog poly with Volca-style FM stacked on it would sound amazing, but seems unlikely.

In this article, the Korg exec says the mystery name will include number(s):
https://www.gearnews.com/korg-product-tease-begins-p-8-characters-includes-numbers/

As a rule, I keep my expectations low - like "it's gonna be some variation on the Minilogue architecture" instead of "it's gonna blow all our minds plus save the environment and create world peace"- so that I'll be pleasantly surprised later. Works well with real life, too, not just NAMM speculation wink

Edited by GovernorSilver (12/23/17 07:33 PM)

#2897646 - 12/23/17 02:19 PM Re: Winter NAMM 2018 Warmup (NAMMticipation) [Re: ElmerJFudd]
davedoerfler Online   confused
KCFF League Champion 2017
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: the swamp
Originally Posted By: ElmerJFudd
RATStands Ltd
This thing folds flat, can take some serious abuse, and folds flat - fits in a bag.

It's a very cool, albeit pricey stand. Been out for quite a while anyway. The music store where I worked last century is an authorized dealer and has them in stock.
MojoGuyPan (RIP)

#2897649 - 12/23/17 02:33 PM Re: Winter NAMM 2018 Warmup (NAMMticipation) [Re: davedoerfler]
Dockeys Offline

Loc: Dublin, Ireland
Originally Posted By: davedoerfler
Originally Posted By: ElmerJFudd
RATStands Ltd

It's a very cool, albeit pricey stand. Been out for quite a while anyway. The music store where I worked last century is an authorized dealer and has them in stock.

I had one of these for the last 6/7 years. Looked great on paper but I had a lot of issues with it once it arrived. The stand was fine for small amounts of music but anything like a typical big band piano book 80-100 pages and i would slowly sink back into itself. many times I was left reaching over to prop it back up while trying to play. I sent it back to the manufacturer and the sent me a new one. Performed slightly better but invariably it happened again.

Now I think the newer ones might be more sturdy?? Make sure you check it out in person before buying though. Another issue I had was that it was a little limiting in terms of how close you could pull the stand to you if you’re playing keys. The main shaft of the stand would inhibit how close you could bring it due to hitting up against the keyboard. Neat idea, converts to a nice size when folded up but ultimately didn’t fit my situation. YMMV.

#2897658 - 12/23/17 03:16 PM Re: Winter NAMM 2018 Warmup (NAMMticipation) [Re: davedoerfler]
Randelph Offline

Loc: San Francisco, CA
I’d love to see the successor to the PX5s.
An iPad editor for the Casio MZ-X500 to take advantage of its awesome Hex Layer capabilities. Need to see all the mapping parameters, at the very least, on 1 page.

And from left field:
Hybrid synth that has the best of arranger, controller, home and live capabilities:
- not a full arranger with all the accompaniment styles, everything arranger instead being focused on smart drum capabilities, arpeggios, user chords and patterns, etc.
- 16 good feeling velocity and AT pads, 9 fader matrix to select organ control, eq, volume levels for individual sounds, etc., lots of real time knobs
- Robust MIDI implementation
- 2 models: 76 semi-weighted keys, 88 HA, both solid mid tier actions
- 2 x 25 watt speakers at a minimum, kick ass sound system!
- Easy to use 16 track sequencer, etc.
- Built-in stand for ipad
- Good controller for Mac/PC

And on and on. And of course the 76 key would be around $1,000!

This is not so far fetched if you look at something like the Numa Compact 2 as a starting point (or inspiration if you will, incredible amount of lightweight power for $500). A board that has some sounds and a small screen to get you by, but you hook up your ipad and it massively upgrades your sound / editing / features, and gives you access to all the apps out there (in addition to whatever app it comes bundled with that’d be as seamless as hardware keyboards in ease of use). Built-in master app that accommodates and simplifies using other music apps in addition to its own. No MIDI degree required here to get apps to play together well.

I suspect Casio, Korg or Numa could pull this off at a reasonable price point. If it was a genuinely good controller with a decent keybed, I think a lot of people would find it very attractive. With an ipad hooked up, it could also pull off some of the auto accompaniment might want (personally never my thing except for rythyms).

I suspect we’d need to have a few more generations of ipad before it could generate the quality of sounds that’d compete with higher end keyboards and VSTs. Personally, i’d rather not deal with a PC/Mac for music, i’m waiting for iPads to be able to do the job well.

Edited by Randelph (12/23/17 03:46 PM)

#2897875 - 12/25/17 12:40 PM Re: Winter NAMM 2018 Warmup (NAMMticipation) [Re: Randelph]
The_Star_Guy Offline

Loc: Ann Arbor, Michigan
From Yamaha;

1) a refresh of the Reface CP/YC models in the same form factor as their Piaggero (e.g. full-size "graded soft touch" keys) at a similar price point with USB audio input & full MIDI options

2) an update of their old 1980's SK-xx series based upon their new super LSI chip and designed to compete against the VR-7xx/Nord Electro/HS SK series

3) huge price drop for the current CP-40/MOXF6/MOXF8/Reface CP/Reface YC

4) a cheaper mid-level "Montage Lite" that can directly load existing 6-operator voices from the public domain library

Yamaha Motif ES7 w/DX,VL,VH; Kawai MP-6, Yamaha CP-33; Hammond XK-1, Rhodes MK-80; Yamaha AW-1600, Yamaha QY-100, Yamaha TX-7

#2897877 - 12/25/17 12:54 PM Re: Winter NAMM 2018 Warmup (NAMMticipation) [Re: The_Star_Guy]
ElmerJFudd Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Foot controlled mouse for hands free computer control when playing.
http://www.smashmouseusa.com/

#2897878 - 12/25/17 12:57 PM Re: Winter NAMM 2018 Warmup (NAMMticipation) [Re: ElmerJFudd]
ElmerJFudd Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

https://www.quparts.com/

2018 marks our 25th anniversary!

25% off your entire order through January 1, 2018.

We're re-issuing some of our most popular products.

The Holy Grail Piano is available for Kontakt now and

Korg Kronos on 12.15.17.

Also for Kronos, Increased Velocity, Heavy Hitters Greatest Hits, Symphonic Fields Forever, Denny Jaeger Private Collection and more!

#2898337 - 12/28/17 11:27 AM Re: Winter NAMM 2018 Warmup (NAMMticipation) [Re: ElmerJFudd]
ElmerJFudd Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

SKB To Unveil 7 New Customizable Think Tank-Designed Keyboard Case Interiors

"SKB will be releasing 7 new iSeries Keyboard Cases with Think Tank Interiors at NAMM 2018 that are fully customizable to accommodate virtually all popular keyboard sizes and setups from Nord, Yamaha, Korg, Kurzweil, and more."

Features, sizes, suggested price...
Link to copy.

#2898451 - 12/29/17 05:23 AM Re: Winter NAMM 2018 Warmup (NAMMticipation) [Re: ElmerJFudd]
MorayM Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Wilts, UK
Ooh, pricey but nice! Will be interested to see what they offer over the Gator ones, which I guess is the closest competition?

#2898896 - 01/01/18 07:39 AM Re: Winter NAMM 2018 Warmup (NAMMticipation) [Re: MorayM]
ElmerJFudd Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Snake and Reel on Wheels! Nice!
hannay.com

#2898898 - 01/01/18 07:44 AM Re: Winter NAMM 2018 Warmup (NAMMticipation) [Re: The_Star_Guy]
Synthoid Offline
10k Club

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted By: The_Star_Guy
a refresh of the Reface

How revolutionary. snax

#2899866 - 01/05/18 11:46 AM Re: Winter NAMM 2018 Warmup (NAMMticipation) [Re: Synthoid]
Geoff Grace Offline
10k Club

NAMM 2018: Gibson no-show confirmed — Guitar maker instead focusing on Consumer Electronics Show

The article linked to above reiterates a statement Gibson released when it decided to end development of Cakewalk products, "The decision was made to better align with the company's acquisition strategy that is heavily focused on growth in the global consumer electronics audio business under the Philips brand."

The choice to exhibit at CES instead of NAMM aligns with that goal, but it's nonetheless a jarring turn for a long-time heavyweight in our industry to make.

Best,

Geoff

#2899873 - 01/05/18 12:06 PM Re: Winter NAMM 2018 Warmup (NAMMticipation) [Re: Geoff Grace]
Joe Muscara Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
10k Club

Loc: Heaven, Hell, or Houston
Originally Posted By: Geoff Grace
NAMM 2018: Gibson no-show confirmed — Guitar maker instead focusing on Consumer Electronics Show

The article linked to above reiterates a statement Gibson released when it decided to end development of Cakewalk products, "The decision was made to better align with the company's acquisition strategy that is heavily focused on growth in the global consumer electronics audio business under the Philips brand."

The choice to exhibit at CES instead of NAMM aligns with that goal, but it's nonetheless a jarring turn for a long-time heavyweight in our industry to make.
eek

I would guess this would hit their guitar and MI divisions badly. I mean, lots of shops go to NAMM to check out the latest in these products, and unless they feel they need to carry Gibson, they can just carry products from one of the many, many other guitar manufacturers that will be at NAMM. OTOH, it won't matter for GC, Sweetwater, and other big ones since Gibson probably sends reps to their HQ anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M0eMkcc91E

#2899906 - 01/05/18 03:20 PM Re: Winter NAMM 2018 Warmup (NAMMticipation) [Re: Geoff Grace]
Marzzz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ

So as far as I can tell, aside from Gibson, other no shows for NAMM will be:

Moog
DSI
Behringer
Access (Virus, though they have been away awhile...)
???

#2899908 - 01/05/18 03:29 PM Re: Winter NAMM 2018 Warmup (NAMMticipation) [Re: Marzzz]
eric Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Virginia
That sucks! No Moog or DSI? Usually two of my favorites and usually right by each other.

#2899910 - 01/05/18 03:43 PM Re: Winter NAMM 2018 Warmup (NAMMticipation) [Re: eric]
OB Dave Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: San Diego CA, US
I just got an unexpected surprise when I went to register badges yesterday. As a non-exhibitor member I used to get four badges. Now I get two, with the option to buy two more for $100 apiece. They also raised their dues last year. I wonder if they’ve also raised exhibitor fees, and all of this is causing exhibitors to question the value of the NAMM show. It’s an expensive show for an exhibitor.

#2899912 - 01/05/18 03:58 PM Re: Winter NAMM 2018 Warmup (NAMMticipation) [Re: eric]
Markyboard Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Springfield, Virginia
Originally Posted By: eric
That sucks! No Moog or DSI? Usually two of my favorites and usually right by each other.

shocked

Guess we'll just hang out at the Williams booth for 4 days Python

#2899913 - 01/05/18 03:59 PM Re: Winter NAMM 2018 Warmup (NAMMticipation) [Re: OB Dave]
davedoerfler Online   confused
KCFF League Champion 2017
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: the swamp
Originally Posted By: OB Dave
or if exhibitors are starting to question the value of the NAMM show.

I first noticed this 17 years ago as a sales rep. Some smaller MI store owners weren't as keen going to NAMM as they had been previously. It's gotten progressively worse, obviously.
MojoGuyPan (RIP)

#2899957 - 01/05/18 08:27 PM Re: Winter NAMM 2018 Warmup (NAMMticipation) [Re: Geoff Grace]
zxcvbnm098 Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Southern Calif.

Best,

Geoff

I would say that Gibson's booth in the last couple of NAMM's has been half-hearted to say the least.

What's ironic is their "presence" at CES is a tent in the parking lot across from the convention hall. They are removed from all of the real action and excitement of CES. And it's an odd mix of their guitars, amps, and their CE lines from acquired brands over the years. To me both their NAMM and CES efforts-and they've been at CES for many years now- feel disjointed and without a real corporate focus. No surprise of course......

#2899966 - 01/05/18 09:52 PM Re: Winter NAMM 2018 Warmup (NAMMticipation) [Re: zxcvbnm098]
OB Dave Offline
Platinum Member

The trend is definitely accelerating. I remember being shocked when Fender stopped going several years ago. They went from a gigantic booth on the floor, to a large booth upstairs - I think after the convention center remodeling - and couple years later, poof, gone!

#2899971 - 01/05/18 11:01 PM Re: Winter NAMM 2018 Warmup (NAMMticipation) [Re: OB Dave]
Geoff Grace Offline
10k Club

So is this trend one of guitar-makers waning in significance and power, of companies in general abandoning trade shows, or both?

My guess would be both, but then I don't work for MI companies.

Best,

Geoff

#2899981 - 01/06/18 12:39 AM Re: Winter NAMM 2018 Warmup (NAMMticipation) [Re: Geoff Grace]
OB Dave Offline
Platinum Member

My guess is both as well. Trade shows may well be a relic of the past. With the web, social media, etc, it's much easier to get your product out there than it ever was before. And there are way fewer individual retailers than there used to be, and a lot of companies have turned to selling direct. If your business model is focused on selling into just a few distribution channels, it probably makes sense to just fly out and visit the people who run those distribution channels and skip the expense of a trade show.

The industry as a whole is slowly dying, so it stands to reason that the industry trade shows would slowly wither too. It sucks, but that's the reality.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner