Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

alrighty then...POSTHUMOUS birthdays...

whitefang

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope Caevan reminds us of Django's next month like he usually does. Elvis pops up on January 8th. He's the only one I have memorized and only because one of my good buds has a birthday on the same day...but, I'll chime in now and then if I see some like Roy O, Roy B, Les, Chet, Jerry, Marty, Johnny, etc., as they always keep my spirits up LOL! :cool:
Take care, Larryz

Saw Junior Wells with Buddy Guy at a bar called The Rip Tide in Beach Haven New Jersey a very long time ago. That was the night I became a fan of Buddy Guy. He was playing a Gibson ES 335 that night and during one pause between songs he started playing blues licks with the volume controls turned down. He shut the whole bar full of young white folks who all paused to listen to him play, the rest of the band was silent, and to my astonishment so was the crowd. Then slowly he upped the volume and then the band kicked in.

Anyways Happy posthumous birthday To Jumior Wells and Dan Hicks.

Today it's Eddie Jones' 91st birthday. Born just two months after Chuck Berry, he did a tune called "The Things I Used To Do" that was covered by Chuck, but many others like Clapton, SRV and Winter.---

Known as "Guitar Slim", he died young, way back in 1959.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Willie Mae"Big Mama" Thornton would have been 91 today. Had she NOT recorded the original HOUND DOG, ya gotta wonder if ELVIS would have got around to it or not. :)

1926 seemed to be a banner year for American culture.....

Chuck Berry

Mama Thornton

Marilyn Monroe

Hugh Hefner

Fidel Castro

Miles Davis

Jerry Lewis

GEORGE MARTIN

Harper Lee

And many other notables, some, like those listed above, have had a HUGE impact on American culture!

And a huge impact on ME, since my Mother was born that year too. ;)

Whitefang

Another favorite, reedman GROVER WASHINGTON Jr. would be 74 if still with us, while MC5's ROB TYNER( no relation to McCoy. ;) ) would be 73. He incidentally DID adopt the last name TYNER after McCoy though. ;)

Whitefang

A few today....

Folk legend PHIL OCHS would have been 77 today...

ALVIN LEE would be 73... as well as

ZAL YANOVSKY of The Lovin' Spoonful.

A happy birthday to all three, wherever they are. ;)

Whitefang

Scotty Moore is my adopted mentor. It was his guitar playing that inspired me long before I ever knew his name. He wrote all of the guitar parts for Elvis's hits while he was at Sun Records and into the early years of RCA. Definitely a guitar King of Rock and Roll. That ES-295 Gibson he's holding is iconic...it put Rock and Roll on the map IMHO. A very sad day for me when he passed away, but his music always lives on! :thu:
Take care, Larryz

And obscure rockabilly guitar slinger/singer DORSEY BURNETTE would be 85 today had he stuck around. He, along with many others, also did a cover of "Keep A-knockin' "

[video:youtube]https://youtu.be/Mf62aWXEhEw

And The Box Tops' ALEX CHILTON would have been 67.

Whitefang

JOHN DENVER

One of the 1st pop entertainers to openly & casually include allusions to, uh, herbal aromatherapy in his songs.

[video:youtube]

Also worthy for stating his love for his Honey b/c she "filled out his census"...or is it "filled up my sensi" ?

& for having the courage to perform the slow waltz w/himself herein executed....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ch7JGUIx1WU

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ch7JGUIx1WU

Further, here he invited one of the most talented but neglected singers of her & our time, Cass Elliot (aka the female Dave Crosby).

Do it & done, John !

d=halfnote

I almost fergot that JD wrote one of pop music's most enduring anthems, of such import I feel it's only proper to post it here instead of prying it into the prior entry.

Toots Hibbert says "John & his friends can pass the pipe around my campfire anytime !"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PEHg4pxTk8

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PEHg4pxTk8

Whirling halfway 'round the world to another island, we find that uke master Iz Kamakawiwo'ole, also knows what's what when he hears it.

While based on Toots's arrangement catch his locally focused lyrics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZw5AC_re6I

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZw5AC_re6I

I can't leave out this ref since, well, it's Mr Ray Charles & while he, too, cops the reggae feel just take a moment outta yer busy day & dig his vocal :cool:

As was once said, "May you never hear Jimi Taylor again !"

:D

d=halfnote

Can't say enough about Cass' excellent voice. Gone too soon for sure.

But since it's nowhere NEAR both Ray's and Iz's birthdays, I wonder why they were brought up HERE?

Whitefang

... since it's nowhere NEAR both Ray's and Iz's birthdays, I wonder why they were brought up HERE?

...... :rolleyes:

:bor::poke:

That would be in the context of Henry John Deutschendorf Jr. (December 31, 1943 October 12, 1997, known professionally as John Denver) & his James Vernon Taylor- (born March 12, 1948~not dead yet) -tromping hit song "Country Roads".

d=halfnote

Toots, IZ and Ray were all doing their rendition of a John Denver tune. I thought Ray's was a little less reggae than the other two, but I loved the reggae versions of the song. Fits in, Since JD's BD was brought up... :cool:
Take care, Larryz

...... :rolleyes:

:bor::poke:

That would be in the context of Henry John Deutschendorf Jr. (December 31, 1943 October 12, 1997, known professionally as John Denver) & his James Vernon Taylor- (born March 12, 1948~not dead yet) -tromping hit song "Country Roads".

I suppose if this WERE a John Denver thread, it'd make perfect sense. But.......... :facepalm:

Whitefang

Fang, I think this thread is about who ever you bring up for our comments (if we have any). If you post John Denver's Posthumous BD and people want to talk about him and/or post his music or renditions by other artists of his music, it becomes a thread about John Denver (at least for a little while IMHO). :cool:
Take care, Larryz

Sure. But wouldn't that have made more sense(In John's or anyone else's case) if that was done ON the date of their births, when it was posted? And NOT nearly a WEEK LATER?

And today, I'll mention this day would have seen SYD BARRETT turn 72;

And recently passed MALCOLM YOUNG become 65. :(

Honorable mention: British folk singer guitarist SANDY DENNY would have seen 71 if still with us.

Whitefang