Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2894433 - 12/07/17 04:20 AM "Commercial"-ism?
whitefang Online   content
10k Club

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
What is anybody's position on using "classic" rock music as a backdrop for TV commercials selling anything, from Nike shoes to clothing, cosmetics or simply getting people to shop in some particular store?

One source of pride for John Lennon was despite the constant approaches from retail interests, he and Paul refused to allow any of their music to be used for this endeavor. Their feeling was it wasn't an intended use for it and somehow a desecration of their music and personal beliefs.

Of course, that all changed once Michael Jackson got ahold of the Lennon/McCartney songbook, and I started hearing familiar old Beatles tunes shilling NIKE shoes and skin lotion and stuff.

On one hand, I can understand newer musicians in the field not only allowing this to be done, but pursuing it as it IS better to get PAID to promote their music as opposed to PAYING to do so. Especially when the returns aren't guaranteed. And I've heard some tunes I liked and managed to track down who've done them and acquire them on CD. And it's probably hard for someone who could really use the money to survive to resist. But some still feel comfortable enough with the money they're already making to hold tight to their sense of integrity to take a pass on it. I remember reading way back when GORDON LIGHTFOOT, back when "If I Could Read Your Mind" was all the "rage", was refusing offers from COTY cosmetics to use the song and others he recorded for musical backdrop in their television ads. He gave pretty much the same reasons Lennon and McCartney did. But over time, I noticed several swatches from tunes recorded by artists whose personal philosophies were along the same lines being used to sell mundane everyday products. But too, some of those artists were dead by the time. So, what do any of you think about this, considering you think about it at all?
Whitefang

GP Island
#2894437 - 12/07/17 05:02 AM Re: "Commercial"-ism? [Re: whitefang]
Eric Iverson Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Jackson Heights, NY
It IS a tricky question - "artistic integrity" vs. "making a living"... has been for many years.
I'm glad that the Beatles and Mr. Lightfoot took the stand that they did, personally, but if I hear a pop song used to sell deodorant or fast cars or something, I don't get upset about it. In this wicked world, we have FAR more serious problems to worry about.
As far as "selling out", well in an ideal world, we would never have to compromise our integrity in ANY category (artistic or otherwise). But I've seen cases where people are so insistent about someone ELSE'S artistic integrity that they don't care if they starve to death, or even if their FAMILIES do.... just sayin'.

#2894441 - 12/07/17 05:31 AM Re: "Commercial"-ism? [Re: Eric Iverson]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
Some Musicians just wanted to be successful, as in able to make a living from their Music. Mark Mothersbaugh of Devo has done Music for films, television, and other commercial projects, so I'm not too surprised to hear Devo's Uncontrollable Urge in a bunch of recent commercials.

I was, however, surprised to hear the Ramones' Music showing up in commercials, along with a brief snippet of The Cramps' You've Got Good Taste!?!?!?! Sadly, the principals in those bands are dead, so who knows who holds the rights to their Music?

Another question occurs to me in this regard: Is it cheaper to pay to use an existing recording than to hire a songwriter, create a theme, find Musicians to perform it, a studio to record it, and then edit it into the commercial? It certainly seems like you could have a finished product, in the form of a complete commercial, by using an existing tune, just Cut, Paste and Edit to fit. It might not be as cheap if you want to use something by the Rolling Stones, but ripping off some 80's Punk band, where all or most of the original members are dead, is probably within anyone's budget.

http://www.novparolo.com

#2894472 - 12/07/17 07:54 AM Re: "Commercial"-ism? [Re: Winston Psmith]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Loc: Northern California
I would rather hear some good music during a commercial than those stupid little jingles that drive me nuts and cause me to hold the remote so I can hit the mute button LOL! Case in point is "For the best night sleep in the whole wide world, visit My Pillow dot com!"

I think the artists and/or their heirs should have full say on whether or not their material can be used and must be compensated per a contractual agreement, if at all possible. I do not like to hear about companies ripping off copyrighted material to create their own ad compositions... cool

Edited by Larryz (12/07/17 07:54 AM)

#2894487 - 12/07/17 08:52 AM Re: "Commercial"-ism? [Re: whitefang]
p90jr Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: whitefang
One source of pride for John Lennon was despite the constant approaches from retail interests, he and Paul refused to allow any of their music to be used for this endeavor. Their feeling was it wasn't an intended use for it and somehow a desecration of their music and personal beliefs.

Of course, that all changed once Michael Jackson got ahold of the Lennon/McCartney songbook, and I started hearing familiar old Beatles tunes shilling NIKE shoes and skin lotion and stuff.

And Paul was pissed... but I remember an interview where someone asked him, in response, "well, you own the largest music publishing company in the world, so you're the one licensing out music by your heroes like Buddy Holly for commercials," and he stammered a non-answer.

#2894490 - 12/07/17 08:56 AM Re: "Commercial"-ism? [Re: Winston Psmith]
p90jr Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Winston Psmith

I was, however, surprised to hear the Ramones' Music showing up in commercials, along with a brief snippet of The Cramps' You've Got Good Taste!?!?!?! Sadly, the principals in those bands are dead, so who knows who holds the rights to their Music?

Another question occurs to me in this regard: Is it cheaper to pay to use an existing recording than to hire a songwriter, create a theme, find Musicians to perform it, a studio to record it, and then edit it into the commercial? It certainly seems like you could have a finished product, in the form of a complete commercial, by using an existing tune, just Cut, Paste and Edit to fit. It might not be as cheap if you want to use something by the Rolling Stones, but ripping off some 80's Punk band, where all or most of the original members are dead, is probably within anyone's budget.

Poison Ivy and Nick Knox from The Cramps are both still alive... Lux Interior, Ivy's husband and the singer, did pass away...

I have friends in San Diego who work writing and recording music for commercials, and they are told "they wanted "BAND XXX"'s song "WHATEVER" but they turned down the offer... so make a song that has the same vibe and beat and sound..." Or in some cases the artists and songwriters will okay the use of the song, but not the original recording, so they have to recreate it but make it just different enough...

#2894492 - 12/07/17 08:58 AM Re: "Commercial"-ism? [Re: p90jr]
p90jr Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Here's one they did...

#2894511 - 12/07/17 09:41 AM Re: "Commercial"-ism? [Re: p90jr]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Phoenix Az
Quote:
What is anybody's position on using "classic" rock music as a backdrop for TV commercials selling anything?

It does not matter to me one way or another, I usually mute the audio during commercials anyways. If I am not paying attention to the tube, I may forget to mute it until it grabs my attention, then I mute it. cheers
Harvey Cedars is my stage name on Soundclick

#2894597 - 12/07/17 03:06 PM Re: "Commercial"-ism? [Re: Winston Psmith]
whitefang Online   content
10k Club

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
Originally Posted By: Winston Psmith
Another question occurs to me in this regard: Is it cheaper to pay to use an existing recording than to hire a songwriter, create a theme, find Musicians to perform it, a studio to record it, and then edit it into the commercial?

grin
To throw in some levity, I recall an episode of "Two and a half Men" in which Charlie Sheen's character, a commercial jingle composer, asked, "Why should somebody hire ME to write a jingle for a tampon commercial when they could just use, "Stuck In The Middle With You"?" wink
Whitefang

#2894628 - 12/07/17 05:26 PM Re: "Commercial"-ism? [Re: whitefang]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
Doesn’t bug me, but sometime I think the people picking the songs aren’t paying attention to the lyrics.

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose