Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2890184 - 11/14/17 06:30 AM "The Bird" by Weird Rare Animal
xKnuckles Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: United Kingdom
Hello. I hope you don't mind if I shamelessly plug my Jazz trio's new CD "The Bird", which can be listened to in full on Spotify & other streaming serivces, or purchased from CD baby, itunes, amazon music, pandora etc. (Search "Weird Rare Animal"). We like to give our music a funky or modern groove, which is particuarly nice for me as I do the bass lines. The CD has music by J.S. BAch, Charlie Parker, Spyro Gyra, and others; some "world" music and some originals. Physical CDs are available from CD baby in the U.S.A. and me in the UK.

This video consists of short segments from each track, animated by some of my bird photography. Our lineup is guitar, keys & drums. Thank you for listening! smile

KC Island
#2890454 - 11/15/17 11:40 AM Re: "The Bird" by Weird Rare Animal [Re: xKnuckles]
davedoerfler Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: thin ice
very cool, Anne. thu

#2890546 - 11/16/17 02:39 AM Re: "The Bird" by Weird Rare Animal [Re: davedoerfler]
xKnuckles Offline
Platinum Member

Thanks Dave! smile

#2894435 - 12/07/17 04:52 AM Re: "The Bird" by Weird Rare Animal [Re: xKnuckles]
Happy Birthday CowboyNQ Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Adelaide, Australia
Nice one Anne! Sounds cool.

I may be mistaken as I'm no ornithologist, but looks like it might be one of my Aussie mates featured at the start. If I'm right, he's weird for sure, but perhaps not so rare as my recent drive to Western Australia attested!

#2894442 - 12/07/17 05:32 AM Re: "The Bird" by Weird Rare Animal [Re: CowboyNQ]
xKnuckles Offline
Platinum Member

Thanks Paul! Well spotted - you clearly know your emus from your ostriches. Yes, I was lucky enough to visit Tasmania early this year and spent a fair chunk of my holiday seeking out the local birds. As well as emus there are roughly 20 other Tassie birds starring in my film.... (I'll give a free Cd to anyone who can name them all! ... grin )

There are also birds from Hawaii, Scotland & England. I was amazed at how many different breeds I have managed to photograph in the less than two years that I have had my camera.

Tasmania is one of the most outstandingly beautiful & interesting places I have ever had the pleasure to explore. I shall definitely have to return for another visit! smile

#2894619 - 12/07/17 04:26 PM Re: "The Bird" by Weird Rare Animal [Re: xKnuckles]
Gold Member

I didn't know you'd headed to Tassie! Apologies if you mentioned it on here and I missed it.

I agree with you it's an incredibly beautiful place. A little cold for my taste, although I doubt that would bother a resident of the UK.

Congrats again on the CD - I won't have a crack at the bird challenge but I'll stump up for a copy via iTunes I reckon. Make a good Xmas present to myself.

#2894667 - 12/08/17 02:51 AM Re: "The Bird" by Weird Rare Animal [Re: xKnuckles]
Markay Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Australia
Originally Posted By: xxKnuckles
Thanks Paul! Well spotted - you clearly know your emus from your ostriches. Yes, I was lucky enough to visit Tasmania early this year and spent a fair chunk of my holiday seeking out the local birds. As well as emus there are roughly 20 other Tassie birds starring in my film.... (I'll give a free Cd to anyone who can name them all! ... grin )

20 seagulls sitting on the rock face at the The Devils Kitchen on Eaglehawk Neck?

#2895393 - 12/12/17 09:47 AM Re: "The Bird" by Weird Rare Animal [Re: CowboyNQ]
xKnuckles Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: CowboyNQ
I didn't know you'd headed to Tassie! Apologies if you mentioned it on here and I missed it.

I agree with you it's an incredibly beautiful place. A little cold for my taste, although I doubt that would bother a resident of the UK.

Congrats again on the CD - I won't have a crack at the bird challenge but I'll stump up for a copy via iTunes I reckon. Make a good Xmas present to myself.

I hadn't mentioned my holiday here so you couldn't have known. Going from here to Tas in January, it seemed positively tropical. Warm sea to swim in (much of the time). Lovely sunshine. Absolutely perfect weather. :-)

I hope 'The bird' makes you a lovely present. smile If you wish to 'try' before buying, it is available to listen to on spotify. Search 'Weird Rare Animal' and you should find us. smile

#2895399 - 12/12/17 10:04 AM Re: "The Bird" by Weird Rare Animal [Re: Markay]
xKnuckles Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: Markay

20 seagulls sitting on the rock face at the The Devils Kitchen on Eaglehawk Neck?

LOL!! grin You obviously know the area well. I am just relieved you didn't start calling them "fluffy, flappy, tweety". etc.... Clearly I need to be more specific in my contest requirements..... But seeing as I am not currently overwhelmed by entries, I guess I need to change the rules. So............. a free Cd is now available to the first person who names 15 breeds of Tasmanian birds from the video....

Hopefully somebody will actually enter. I should hate to be reduced to having to tweet about "The Bird" on Twitter ......

#2895402 - 12/12/17 10:11 AM Re: "The Bird" by Weird Rare Animal [Re: xKnuckles]
xKnuckles Offline
Platinum Member

Here is one of the tracks in its entirety. "Django" by John Williams.

#2895484 - 12/12/17 03:02 PM Re: "The Bird" by Weird Rare Animal [Re: xKnuckles]
Gold Member

...Tas in January, it seemed positively tropical.

Now THERE's a sentence I'll never see again!

#2895564 - 12/13/17 01:19 AM Re: "The Bird" by Weird Rare Animal [Re: CowboyNQ]
Markay Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Little known fact that Bicheno on the east coast of Tasmania has the second best climate in Australia according to a CSIRO study done some years ago. Mild winters, sunny summers rarely over 28C. Not a lot of rain. Second to Port Macquarie on the NSW mid north coast, a place we spend our time when we can get away.

The rest of Tasmania lives up to its reputation.

#2895565 - 12/13/17 01:35 AM Re: "The Bird" by Weird Rare Animal [Re: xKnuckles]
Markay Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

LOL!! grin You obviously know the area well. I am just relieved you didn't start calling them "fluffy, flappy, tweety". etc.... Clearly I need to be more specific in my contest requirements..... But seeing as I am not currently overwhelmed by entries, I guess I need to change the rules. So............. a free Cd is now available to the first person who names 15 breeds of Tasmanian birds from the video....

Hopefully somebody will actually enter. I should hate to be reduced to having to tweet about "The Bird" on Twitter ......

Yep spent the first part of my life there. Travelled all over it many times. Well except the south west corner where even the first settlers didn't go in the 60,000 years it was their nation.

No ornithologist so will have to bow out naming 15 species.

#2895905 - 12/14/17 08:55 AM Re: "The Bird" by Weird Rare Animal [Re: Markay]
xKnuckles Offline
Platinum Member

Little known fact that Bicheno on the east coast of Tasmania has the second best climate in Australia according to a CSIRO study done some years ago. Mild winters, sunny summers rarely over 28C. Not a lot of rain. Second to Port Macquarie on the NSW mid north coast, a place we spend our time when we can get away.

The rest of Tasmania lives up to its reputation.

Bicheno is a great place. I stopped there for a bit to see the penguins. smile

#2895906 - 12/14/17 09:03 AM Re: "The Bird" by Weird Rare Animal [Re: Markay]
xKnuckles Offline
Platinum Member

Yep spent the first part of my life there. Travelled all over it many times. Well except the south west corner where even the first settlers didn't go in the 60,000 years it was their nation.

No ornithologist so will have to bow out naming 15 species.

Don't worry - I would be completely shocked (although very pleased) if anyone ever bothered to attempt my little challenge. It would require some serious svengling.... grin

That SW corner looks very enticing, but so inaccessable. Needless to say I didn't go there either. Is it possible to hike through it?

#2896035 - 12/15/17 01:26 AM Re: "The Bird" by Weird Rare Animal [Re: xKnuckles]
Markay Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: xKnuckles

That SW corner looks very enticing, but so inaccessable. Needless to say I didn't go there either. Is it possible to hike through it?

Not as far as I know. It is covered in dense horizontal bush that is impenetrable. Before GPS some tried but were never heard of again as it is high enough that you have no skyline reference and become disorientated. Plus it is not like the fine country in and around Cradle Mountain. Were you to make it to the SW coast all you would find is a desolate coast line constantly battered by gale force Antartic winds and rain. And that's on a good day.

You can get a good view of the SW (and a taste of Antartic wind if you are lucky) from the top of Mount Wellington, a mere 10 minute drive from Hobart's CBD. Or take the scenic track that starts from Lenah Valley (15 minute drive or bus ride from Hobart CBD) and climbs up the mountain. I used to tickle trout in the creek at Lenah Valley near the start of the track.