Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2894485 - 12/07/17 08:48 AM I Wish There Was An App For That
BbAltered Online   content

I wish there was an app that would identify a song when the melody is whistled or sang or hummed. I need something like this for those times when I know the melody but not the name.

I heard a nice arrangement of an Xmas tune on my jazz radio station, but I do not know the name of the tune. So I'm stuck hearing this un-named melody going thru my head.
Charlie Parker Omnibook
Stevie Wonder Songs in the Key of Life
Weather Report Mr. Gone

KC Island
#2894489 - 12/07/17 08:54 AM Re: I Wish There Was An App For That [Re: BbAltered]
Synthoid Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA

#2894502 - 12/07/17 09:28 AM Re: I Wish There Was An App For That [Re: Synthoid]
Joe BrokeIt Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
10k Club

Loc: Heaven, Hell, or Houston
Originally Posted By: Synthoid
Google is your friend.

Originally Posted By: BbAltered
I wish there was an app that would identify a song when the melody is whistled or sang or hummed. I need something like this for those times when I know the melody but not the name.
Reading the OP closely is yours. wink

#2894520 - 12/07/17 09:59 AM Re: I Wish There Was An App For That [Re: Joe BrokeIt]
Sven Golly Offline
KC Ambassador of Goodwill
10k Club

Loc: Toronto, ON
As much as I love where this is going, SoundHound suggests that it offers what the OP is looking for... and it's in the link that Synthoid posted... so... yeah.

However, in the real world, most of this shit doesn't work. That being said, give SoundHound a shot and see for yourself whether it helps or not.

#2894523 - 12/07/17 10:02 AM Re: I Wish There Was An App For That [Re: BbAltered]
Sven Golly Offline
KC Ambassador of Goodwill
10k Club

Loc: Toronto, ON
I heard a nice arrangement of an Xmas tune on my jazz radio station, but I do not know the name of the tune. So I'm stuck hearing this un-named melody going thru my head.

I'll point out what should be obvious. If you recall roughly the time you heard it, go to the website for the station, and look for their playlist (our local Jazz station, Jazz.FM does this) and see if you can simply find the name/artist for the track that way.

Alternatively, if that doesn't exist, you can email/call the station, and they'll probably be able to tell you.*

Or is that too low tech? wink

* don't expect this from your local machine-run corporate FM rock radio station... snax

#2894528 - 12/07/17 10:18 AM Re: I Wish There Was An App For That [Re: Sven Golly]
Joe BrokeIt Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
10k Club

Loc: Heaven, Hell, or Houston
Originally Posted By: Sven Golly
in the real world, most of this shit doesn't work.
I've tried it and it didn't work for me, but I cannot account for my poor ability to match pitch...

#2894533 - 12/07/17 10:22 AM Re: I Wish There Was An App For That [Re: Sven Golly]
J. Dan Offline
Bannination Free Since '08
10k Club

Loc: St. Louis, MO
Originally Posted By: Sven Golly

I'll point out what should be obvious. If you recall roughly the time you heard it, go to the website for the station, and look for their playlist (our local Jazz station, Jazz.FM does this) and see if you can simply find the name/artist for the track that way.

Alternatively, if that doesn't exist, you can email/call the station, and they'll probably be able to tell you.*

Or is that too low tech? wink

* don't expect this from your local machine-run corporate FM rock radio station... snax

Maybe there's an app that can do that for you?

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

#2894541 - 12/07/17 10:40 AM Re: I Wish There Was An App For That [Re: Joe BrokeIt]
Synthoid Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted By: Joe BrokeIt
Reading the OP closely is yours. wink

Indeed, and Soundhound fits the bill. cool

#2894608 - 12/07/17 03:47 PM Re: I Wish There Was An App For That [Re: Synthoid]
David Emm Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Oz. Its too damned green.
I worked in a couple of record stores back when and it was a moment of hilarious madness when a customer would try to sing or whistle a sought-after tune. It usually ended up sounding like someone sat on a duck, or had a lemon rind tucked in one cheek. Real horrorshow. I needed an app that yelled SHUT UP, YOU'RE TONE-DEAF! HeadPop hitt

https://soundcloud.com/david-emm-1

#2894611 - 12/07/17 03:55 PM Re: I Wish There Was An App For That [Re: David Emm]
Dr88s Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Montreal, Canada
Originally Posted By: David Emm
I worked in a couple of record stores back when and it was a moment of hilarious madness when a customer would try to sing or whistle a sought-after tune. It usually ended up sounding like someone sat on a duck, or had a lemon rind tucked in one cheek. Real horrorshow.

The internet never ceases to amaze me. Your post reminded me of a tv edisode I must have seen 20 years ago or more - 30 seconds and one google search later, and behold! -

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner