Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Lounsberry pedals

this new TALL & FAT is probably the best sounding non-tube pedal I tried on my hammond C3 (and digital clones too).

Okay, so what tube pedal(s) would sound better than the T&F?

not better but "different":

- ORGAN DRIVE

- ORGAN & GROOVE II

(both of them sounds great with 2 ECC82 - the stock tubes are ECC83 and they are not "usable", too much drive and no way to take advantage of all potentiometers range -)

and also my old Speakeasy AMA122...

well, they are preamp "unit"(not pedals :laugh: )

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm experimenting tonight with my T&F as a replacement for my Speakeasy AMA.

Can you tell us how it turned out?

"This is my rig, and if you don´t like it....well, I have others!"

"Think positive...there's always something to complain about!"

• 3 weeks later...

Here's my delayed review of the T&F.

Short version: I'm not sure yet if it will find a permanent place in my rig.

I evaluated with a Mojo-> T&F -> MiniVent chain. I've not gigged it yet, so bear that in mind.

Several people on this board are using it set to warm things subtly and take the digital edge off. When I set it that way, I don't know if I'm hearing much difference. I recently upgraded my speakers from EVs to RCFs, and that introduced a massive change in what I am used to hearing. Probably only a live gig will tell the tale on this.

When I go for higher amounts of overdrive, I'm not particularly happy. The OD tone is good, a bit sharper than the Mojo OD. However, it breaks down into mush faster than the Mojo OD when playing bass notes with chords.

I achieved my best heavier OD tone by shutting OD on the Vent off, setting T&F to small to mild OD, and using the Mojo OD for the majority.

As for replacing my Speakeasy AMA, the T&A does a creditable job when mild OD is what you want. When I get into Jon territory and switch the Hi gain switch on the AMA on, it leaves everything else in the dust. By which I mean, I still have clarity of which notes I am playing even when the tone is brutal.

Moe

---

Soon I will get my T&F.

I just sold my high quality effect Organ Grinder, because I don't need Jon Lord OD. When I bought it, T&F did not exist yet.

I'll keep in touch with my tests with T&F and comparisons I hear.

I use Hammond xk-1 + EQ + Leslie 760 (JBL K140 + Jensen V21)

• 3 weeks later...

So I got mine.

I think that the Organ Grinder has a very nice mellow attenuation but a "too hard" drive.

The T&F has a transparent sound, it respects the tessitura/bandwith and has a fantastic AO28-like drive, even when you increase the "fat" effect.

But, through the 760 which is not a HiFi set, I was not able to hear the tubelike harmonics. The high medium are nicer when you increase the tall button, but the effect is still subtle.

• 3 months later...

With my clonewheel, I use the overdrive on my Ventilator to add a small amount of grease for jazz and a medium amount of growl for blues (but I don't do heavy rock and don't use full-on grunge).

How does the Tall & Fat compare with the Ventilator's overdrive, and what does the T&F add when using both together? Is it noticeable at a gig, or only in a studio? In short, is the T&F worthwhile if I already have a Ventilator?

• 1 month later...

I recently bought the Tall & Fat and used it on a couple of jazz gigs. For me, it's a keeper!

The way I have it set the effect is subtle but provides a more warm, inspiring, and authentic sound. I don't get the same satisfaction from the Mojo OD or the Vent 2 OD as I do with the T&F.

Here's a video of a recent gig where I'm using the T&F between the Mojo and chopped Leslie 145. I've also used the T&F with the SSV3 with nice results.

[video:youtube]

Here's a video of a recent gig where I'm using the T&F between the Mojo and chopped Leslie 145. I've also used the T&F with the SSV3 with nice results.

Very soulful playing Al, rig sounds excellent. :2thu:

Curious, using the SS3 and the Mojo sim with the tall and fat are you in mono?

:nopity:

Thanks Dave! When using the T&F with the SSV3 I use a Vent 2 rather than the Mojo sim. With the T&F between the Mojo and the Vent 2, the connections are straightforward / intuitive. Although the signal chain starts with a Mojo mono output in ends with left / right stereo inputs to the SSV3.

I haven't tried the T&F with the Mojo sim. To be honest, placing the T&F after the Mojo sim seems counterintuitive since the T&F is modeling the AO28 preamp which comes before the Leslie in a real Hammond/Leslie rig. I would guess that the signal fluctuations caused by the Mojo sim would cause T&F signal fluctuations that would not sound authentic (although it might sound cool in it's own special way). I hope this makes sense.

Exactly :)

Then if playing LH bass take the other Mojo mono out and plug it straight into a bass amp (e.g., Markbass CMD 121P in my rig). This way you still get the effect of the top and bottom rotors spinning asynchronously (i.e., through the SSV3 or other stereo amp) without the distracting and unpleasant swirling low end that causes some folks to disconnect the lower drum rotor motor on a real Leslie when playing bass. There's an option on the Mojo where when the internal sim is disabled the left and right outputs are both mono outs. I think this is the default setting but I'm not sure if it varies by firmware level so thought I'd mention it.

• 2 weeks later...

I have just received a Lounsberry Tall & Fat pedal, and my first impression was that the difference between the overdrive on the T&F, the Ventilator, and my Viscount Legend Solo (with the latest firmware update) is fairly subtle.

All three are very good, but for now, I am using the T&F (in the Legend's effects loop, with the T&F's "Fat" control around 11-12 o'clock) and the Ventilator (connected to the Legend's output, with the Vent's "Drive" control around 12-1 o'clock) together, which gives a little grit when the expression pedal is backed off, and adds a nice growl as the expression pedal is brought up. I have the Volume control on the Legend around 3 o'clock (~75%), just below the point where the Ventilator overload LED lights on the loudest peaks.

I am not using the overdrive on the Legend for now, because it sounds harsh (like clipping) on low notes with the percussion on loud. (This does not happen with the T&F or Ventilator, and nothing else in my setup is clipping.) I hope this can be made smoother in a future update.

... that the difference between the overdrive on the T&F, the Ventilator, and my Viscount Legend Solo (with the latest firmware update) is fairly subtle.

Just only because I´m somewhat interested in the Viscount Solo ...

Do you mean the v1.3 update mentioned in today´s new thread ?

clonk

... I am using the T&F (in the Legend's effects loop, with the T&F's "Fat" control around 11-12 o'clock)

Somewhere here in the forum I´ve read Lounsberry T&F (as also other models ?) aren´t recommended to be used in FX loop path because it (they) reverts the phase at the output.

It was which held me back ordering a T&F ...

Now I wonder what´s true.

... the overdrive on the Legend ... sounds harsh (like clipping) on low notes with the percussion on loud.

Damn,- I hate reading that !

A.C.

... my Viscount Legend Solo (with the latest firmware update) ...

Do you mean the v1.3 update mentioned in today´s new thread?

clonk

Yes.

Somewhere here in the forum I´ve read Lounsberry T&F (as also other models?) aren´t recommended to be used in FX loop path because it (they) reverts the phase at the output. It was which held me back ordering a T&F. Now I wonder what´s true.

I'm not aware of phase reversal with Lounsberry pedals, but I will ask them about it (however, I don't think it would be a problem in this kind of effects loop, where the effect is *inserted* in the signal path, not *mixed* with it). The Tall & Fat works fine in the Legend's effects loop. It also works fine in between the organ's output and the Ventilator. It's just a matter of setting the Fat (overdrive) and Tall (volume) controls to get the sound you want and match the level you have.

... the overdrive on the Legend ... sounds harsh (like clipping) on low notes with the percussion on loud.

Damn, I hate reading that!

The Legend's overdrive is very good, just a bit too strong on low notes with the percussion on loud. It's not a deal breaker, just a minor quirk that I hope they address in a future update.

Somewhere here in the forum I´ve read Lounsberry T&F (as also other models?) aren´t recommended to be used in FX loop path because it (they) reverts the phase at the output. It was which held me back ordering a T&F. Now I wonder what´s true.

I'm not aware of phase reversal with Lounsberry pedals, but I will ask them about it (however, I don't think it would be a problem in this kind of effects loop, where the effect is *inserted* in the signal path, not *mixed* with it). The Tall & Fat works fine in the Legend's effects loop. It also works fine in between the organ's output and the Ventilator. It's just a matter of setting the Fat (overdrive) and Tall (volume) controls to get the sound you want and match the level you have.

This is correct. I was the one who talked to Lounsberry when I tried to use my T&F in a Key Largo effects loop, and Greg confirmed the phase reversal to me. Here it doesn't matter as the entire signal goes thru and I have tried my T&F in my Legend as well.

FWIW I've not been able to use the T&F to usefully move me closer to the sound I am looking for. OTOH, my Speakeasy AMA in the FX loop of the Viscount sounds wonderful.

Moe

---

This is correct. I was the one who talked to Lounsberry when I tried to use my T&F in a Key Largo effects loop, and Greg confirmed the phase reversal to me. Here it doesn't matter as the entire signal goes thru and I have tried my T&F in my Legend as well.

Confirmed. (They said: "The output phase is reversed. A phase reversal would only cause problems with a parallel effects loop, in which case there would be cancellation. In a serial effects loop, it would simply invert the phase of the overall signal, which would be inaudible.")

Thx for confirmation, mate !

Confirmed. (They said: "The output phase is reversed. A phase reversal would only cause problems with a parallel effects loop, in which case there would be cancellation. In a serial effects loop, it would simply invert the phase of the overall signal, which would be inaudible.")

And now I wonder if that "issue" is intentional,- a feature ... and WHY it is if it is.

Any explanation for this ?

A.C.

And now I wonder if that "issue" is intentional,- a feature ... and WHY it is if it is.

Any explanation for this ?

I wouldn't say it's intentional, but it's fairly common with stompboxes of similar design; inverted polarity of the output signal will be a natural consequence of boost circuit with a single (or any odd number) of gain stages.

Some guitarists that run more intricate A/B/Y rigs (with different pedals feeding different amps simultaneously, or with one amp with an odd number of internal gain stages) have to compensate for this; there are some utility pedals available with polarity flip functions for this purpose. There's a fairly comprehensive list here. https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/list-the-pedals-that-invert-phase.796444/

• 2 weeks later...

Still undecided between Tall & Fat and Organ Grinder. I like the idea of being able to add the Jon Lord thing on a few songs, but would more likely use more of a growly Gregg Rolie type OD. Is the lower gain settings of the Organ Grinder able to add the growl in that over driven Rolie type OD?

Nord Stage 3 Compact, Korg Kronos 61, Casio PX-5S, Yamaha DXR 10 (2)), Neo Vent, Yamaha MG82cx mixer and too many stands to name.

• 1 year later...
And I just ordered the Organ Grinder today from MF which should be here Monday. Will let you all know when I get it....
Montage 7, Mojo 61, PC-3, XK-3c Pro, Kronos 88, Hammond SK-1, Motif XF- 7, Hammond SK-2, Roland FR-1, FR-18, Hammond B3 - Blond, Hammond BV -Cherry

Ok so, does the best set up in term of possibilities and authenticity with a Nord C2 (updated to C2d engine) would be:

Nord C2 mono out to T&F mono in, then T&F mono out (I say mono because now we have the T&F Wide/stereo...) to Organ Grinder Mono in, then organ grinder Mono out to Vent II mono in, then Vent II stereo out to TC Hall of Fame stereo in, then TC Hall of fame stereo out to my mixer two channels?

I would have the "Tube A28" warmth authenticity with the T&F, the "Jon Lord" OD with the Organ Grinder and the Vent II OD to add to taste, then the "Real Leslie" from the Vent II and then the Reverb after the Leslie....

I will bypass the internal sim and the internal Reverb of the C2 of course, unless I want a specific weird sound....

Let me know, If I invest in a new chain, with a lot of extra connections, I want the result to be worth it....

Stage 2, C2, NL2X+TC Pedals, P08+Tetra+H9, P12+TC Chorus D50+PG1000, 2 Matrix 1K, Proteus 2K, TX802, Streichfett, Drumbrute. Guitars:G&L Legacy, Asat X2, Ibanez Artstar AS153.Bass: L2000, SR1200&2605.

then the Reverb after the Leslie....

this is a matter of taste. Authentically, reverb should/would come before the leslie if you were using a 122RV. Benmont Tench mentioned in a Keyboard Magazine interview years ago how he love the reverb swirling around in the leslie.

:nopity:

Yes, ok, I think in my C2, the Reverb is before the Leslie anyway but in a case described above, I couldn't use the internal Reverb as I would have it before the Overdrive which will be weird, right?
Stage 2, C2, NL2X+TC Pedals, P08+Tetra+H9, P12+TC Chorus D50+PG1000, 2 Matrix 1K, Proteus 2K, TX802, Streichfett, Drumbrute. Guitars:G&L Legacy, Asat X2, Ibanez Artstar AS153.Bass: L2000, SR1200&2605.

I've been looking for something that can go between a C2D and a Vent to produce a relatively low-distortion overdrive, something like what Ken Clark gets in the attached YT. It is a little too much for my taste, though I do particularly like the sound of the chord transition to the IV he makes at 59 seconds in. Someone on Reverb is clearing stock on the T&F at a low price with free shipping so I bought one last night. I've been looking for something that gets that sound and I'm hopeful this is it.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Qsit10tGDk

Could you give us the kink on reverb?

I tried a Tall & Fat today. I ran it dry (no following filtering), It has too much crackle for my taste. I think it could use a variable low-pass filter on the output. I'll try it into a Vent tomorrow. The amp modeling may tone some of that down.