Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2894439 - 12/07/17 05:17 AM new viscount update 1.3
bill bosco Offline

the update for the legend organs is up and running , any
forum members installed it yet ?

KC Island
#2894445 - 12/07/17 05:45 AM Re: new viscount update 1.3 [Re: bill bosco]
chelsea4023 Offline

Hi Bill,
I am a Legend Live owner and I was waiting to hear what members who had made the update to 1.3 thought. So far, very good feedback.
Yet again, Viscount Key B have made one step forward and two steps back by releasing the update only at present for Windows based P.C's and the backlash from Mac users has dominated the Viscount Legend Facebook Users Forum (understandably so). In fairness to Elvio he has posted that they are on the case and intend to release something very soon to appease Mac owners.
There seems to be a lot more to the update than just the sound.There is improvements in place for linking additional keyboards and expanders to the Legend (as I see it).
The Leslie sim has been improved, percussion improved, general tone improved. The bass sounds are more even (previously certain notes sounded louder than others).
For me, a great Christmas present as I was bowled over by my Legend Live before the update. Oh yeah, and it's free.
Thank you Elvio

#2894447 - 12/07/17 05:52 AM Re: new viscount update 1.3 [Re: bill bosco]
Paul Harrison Offline

Loc: Adelaide, Australia
My update stalled the first time but succeeded the second time with prompt assistance from Viscount service. (It appears that the installation process works slightly differently with some computers.)

The updated firmware includes several enhancements to the MIDI functionality and improvements to the sound, including smoother chorus vibrato, tighter percussion, fatter keyclick, and better Leslie swirl. It was very good before, and now it's better.

#2894449 - 12/07/17 06:12 AM Re: new viscount update 1.3 [Re: Paul Harrison]
jeffinpghpa Offline

Loc: Charlotte, NC
I haven't installed it here yet (MAC user), but I think you can now use the input post effect so it doesn't put a Leslie effect on your input. This is nice if you use an iPad or module like I do for extra sounds. Reviews I've read on Facebook are much what Paul Harrison stated above.

#2894458 - 12/07/17 07:07 AM Re: new viscount update 1.3 [Re: jeffinpghpa]
teashea Offline

I installed 1.3 on my Legends. Wonderful. There are a lot of improvements to a digital organ that was already very good. Here is a list of the changes - quite extensive.

http://www.viscountinstruments.it/media/wysiwyg/Supporto/OS_release/LegendSeries/Legend%20Series%20Version%20History.pdf

#2894491 - 12/07/17 08:56 AM Re: new viscount update 1.3 [Re: teashea]
wd8dky Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Chicagoland
Is this for the Solo as well?

Thank you.

#2894530 - 12/07/17 10:21 AM Re: new viscount update 1.3 [Re: wd8dky]
mate stubb Offline
Grand Poobah of the Trebuchet
10k Club

I installed it with no problems, and the change is dramatic. The overall tone is warmer and less hard, although you do not lose the strong note attack.

CV is tremendously improved. It does not quite shimmer like a Mojo yet, but it is a lot closer. This was #1 on my list for improvement and it did not disappoint.

The leslie sims have been adjusted. The standard leslie now has a better sense of movement, while the rock leslie's excessive amplitude modulation (the whap whap) has been tamed to make it much more useable.

There were a couple notes in the bass with excessive volume which have been tamed.

The midi scheme has been revised to play more nicely with external modules.

The remaining issue on my list would be to make click adjustable for length and tone. I like my click a little longer and darker so that it splats a little.

But overall, the update is magnificent!

As to the install troubles some people are having - one mistake people made was to drop the patch file into a system directory which prevents temp file creation.

http://www.hotrodmotm.com

#2894566 - 12/07/17 11:50 AM Re: new viscount update 1.3 [Re: mate stubb]
bill bosco Offline

the leslie sim adjustments are a big deal , especially the rock setting, i like the tone on that one alot but that heavy handed
lower rotor makes it fairly unusable .looking forward to hearing
it , probably in the next day or two .

#2894581 - 12/07/17 01:24 PM Re: new viscount update 1.3 [Re: wd8dky]
Paul Harrison Offline

Originally Posted By: wd8dky
Is this for the Solo as well?

Yes. The Legend, the Legend Live, and the Legend Solo all have the same engine.

#2894634 - 12/07/17 05:52 PM Re: new viscount update 1.3 [Re: Paul Harrison]
chelsea4023 Offline

Hi,
I've yet to update my Legend Live, but can I say thank you to 'mate stubb' for his impressive summary of the 1.3 update. It's certainly whet my appetite to get it done.
I'll be using my Legend Live in conjunction with a Korg PA4X arranger so the revised midi scheme is going to be a big bonus and the additional warmness in sound is more to my liking (not really a rock player).
Having bass pedals, I did find it strange that some notes were noticeably louder than others so the fact that's been sorted is a big bonus for me.
Chris

#2894664 - 12/08/17 02:06 AM Re: new viscount update 1.3 [Re: chelsea4023]
Gary75 Offline
Platinum Member

It's got me thinking now. I love my BX3/HX3 combo but it's a bit hefty in a hard case. Just had a look at Thomann and I can pick up a Solo for 960 shipped. I keep seeing how nice it'll look and fit on my beige Wurli. My Kronos sale may be spent quite quickly I fear!

#2894666 - 12/08/17 02:25 AM Re: new viscount update 1.3 [Re: Gary75]
Six-string-man Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: U.K.
I am on the Legend facebook page, most opinions of the upgrade are positive, but a few are unhappy.

Some examples:

"The sound then ? I've just played for two minutes but... really, im not sure.
That fine smooooth 122 type of overdrive that I loved, with the pot around 3 o'clock and a 008800000 is... gone.
Now there is a much more aggressive kind of distortion that ain't natural.
The rock type of dist is .. well you ain't need 50% of it..
And both of them, and most of all the ordinary drive mode is unfortunately gone.
OR maybe my ears are getting used to the sound, but in my opinion the distortion and swell is such an important parameter in the organs sound."

"I agree! Absolutely. I can't believe it! Bad thing!"

"I'll get into it more tomorrow, but for the moment, and with just a short tryout, i want the old version back even if the Leslie sim is better in the new version."

There are claims that the original Leslie 122 sound has now gone. I'm having second thoughts about downloading this, especially as there is no word of reverting back to the old settings if you don't like the upgrade.

#2894668 - 12/08/17 03:20 AM Re: new viscount update 1.3 [Re: Six-string-man]
Gary75 Offline
Platinum Member

I think their are a certain number of people in any recreation scenario that will never be truly happy, may it be tne Roland boutique stuff or organ stuff. classic example is the car world.

#2894679 - 12/08/17 05:04 AM Re: new viscount update 1.3 [Re: Gary75]
teashea Offline

I really like the updates ---- make a very fine machine even better.

#2894710 - 12/08/17 09:54 AM Re: new viscount update 1.3 [Re: teashea]
mate stubb Offline
Grand Poobah of the Trebuchet
10k Club

Personally, I found the new leslies to be quite different (and noticeably better) than the old, but the new overdrive didn't sound that different to me.

The normal overdrive is fairly comparable to the Mojo OD to me. Someone mentioned running it at 3:00, but I can't imagine that. Anything over about 10:00 or 11:00 on 888000000, both before the update and after, is at the outer level of what digital OD can deliver without dissolving into fuzz.

It's the same on every other clone I have tried, even an XK-3 with a tube. You just are not going to get Jon out of these things.

The rock OD, both before and after update, I can't run but barely cracked on before it becomes too much.

When I put my Speakeasy AMA into the FX loop, the organ just sings. It's the only device I have ever used that provides everything from authentic warm leslie overdrive all the way up to Jon without crapping out.

However, the OD built in to the Viscount is comparable to other clones. I'm not sure what those 2 guys are expecting. The balance of the organ is completely different after the update, and you have to work with it to find your sound again, not just set the knobs where you had it before.

http://www.hotrodmotm.com

#2894753 - 12/08/17 02:47 PM Re: new viscount update 1.3 [Re: mate stubb]
Paul Harrison Offline

Originally Posted By: mate stubb
... the new overdrive didn't sound that different to me.

... Someone mentioned running it at 3:00, but I can't imagine that. Anything over about 10:00 or 11:00 on 888000000, both before the update and after, is at the outer level of what digital OD can deliver without dissolving into fuzz.

... The rock OD, both before and after update, I can't run but barely cracked on before it becomes too much.

... The balance of the organ is completely different after the update, and you have to work with it to find your sound again, not just set the knobs where you had it before.

+1

I agree, the Rock overdrive is way too much, and the Classic overdrive is usable only on a very low setting, up to around 9-10 o'clock (~25%) ... above that, it is too much, particularly on low notes with percussion on loud, which sound harsh (like clipping). I hope they make the overdrive less intense and more gradual in a future update.

#2894987 - 12/10/17 11:56 AM Re: new viscount update 1.3 [Re: mate stubb]
bill bosco Offline

did the update late last night , on first blush , the overall
sound is a more raw , i like it . with that and the new keyclick
it's got alot more character i'd say , more aggressive .the
boominess in the bottom octave is gone , nice .the c/v in the
30's and 50's model is way nicer and they tamed the amplitude
modulation in the rock leslie setting , they could have gone
further with that IMO . the tone in the classic setting's alot
nicer , almost like what the vent does for it but the speed and
ramp up time needs work , reminds me of my 3300 ( my biggest
gripe with the 3300 , and it cant be adjusted any faster as far
as i can tell ) .

#2895013 - 12/10/17 03:59 PM Re: new viscount update 1.3 [Re: bill bosco]
bill bosco Offline

been playing around with it a bit more , sounds better through my vent , that's just the way it is . the tone through the classic
and rock is very good but the speeds and the acceleration are
a little off IMO . i'll be using it in service next weekend .
nice .

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner