Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2894350 - 12/06/17 04:00 PM Official MLB 2018 Thread
Geoff Grace Offline
10k Club

It's been over a month since the 2017 season ended, so let's take a look ahead to the 2018 MLB season...

Yankees introduce Aaron Boone as manager: Brian Cashman's big gamble meets the media

Derek Jeter: Any Giancarlo Stanton talk to this point 'just speculation'

And will it be back to the future for Rafael Palmeiro?

Rafael Palmeiro, 53, says 'no doubt' he can make it back to MLB

Best,

Geoff

Enthusiasm powers the world.

Craig Anderton's Archiving Article

KC Island
#2894351 - 12/06/17 04:01 PM Re: Official MLB 2018 Thread [Re: Geoff Grace]
Geoff Grace Offline
10k Club

And of course...

GO DODGER BLUE!!! thu

Best,

Geoff

#2894363 - 12/06/17 05:58 PM Re: Official MLB 2018 Thread [Re: Geoff Grace]
davedoerfler Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: thin ice
Originally Posted By: Geoff Grace

And will it be back to the future for Rafael Palmeiro?
Rafael Palmeiro, 53, says 'no doubt' he can make it back to MLB

guess he's still in touch with his dealer. rolleyes

#2894367 - 12/06/17 06:09 PM Re: Official MLB 2018 Thread [Re: davedoerfler]
davedoerfler Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

looking ahead here in the nation's capital...

Nationals announce hiring of Dave Martinez as new manager

#2894396 - 12/06/17 10:33 PM Re: Official MLB 2018 Thread [Re: davedoerfler]
Adan Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Francisco
We are at that interesting point in the offseason where the dominos are lined up ready to fall, someone just needs to push the first one. It might be Otani, Stanton, or JD Martinez . . . one big transaction happens and then many others follow. Until that first one, it's just a lot of "what ifs." Might have to wait a few more days until the GMs get together.

roccoromanucci.com

#2894401 - 12/06/17 10:41 PM Re: Official MLB 2018 Thread [Re: Adan]
Bobadohshe Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Diego / Los Angeles
Padres fans are on pins and needles hoping, waiting, praying that Ohtani might actually sign with us.

#2894403 - 12/06/17 10:46 PM Re: Official MLB 2018 Thread [Re: Bobadohshe]
MathOfInsects Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: California
And Hosmer.

#2894405 - 12/06/17 10:51 PM Re: Official MLB 2018 Thread [Re: Geoff Grace]
MathOfInsects Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: California

When Jamie Moyer retired, I had to finally admit that OK, maybe I wasn't going to be an MLB star after all.

#2894547 - 12/07/17 10:49 AM Re: Official MLB 2018 Thread [Re: MathOfInsects]
Synthaholic Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Where the wild things are
Originally Posted By: MathOfInsects
And Hosmer.

That guy doesn't get the respect and recognition he deserves. Like Paul Goldschmidt.

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

#2894553 - 12/07/17 11:03 AM Re: Official MLB 2018 Thread [Re: Synthaholic]
Synthaholic Offline
Platinum Member

Jake Arrieta and Todd Frazier are both free agents. Braves should try to sign Frazier. Arrieta should look to the American League, where batters haven't faced him for years.

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

#2894589 - 12/07/17 02:12 PM Re: Official MLB 2018 Thread [Re: Synthaholic]
Synthaholic Offline
Platinum Member

I don't know how I totally missed this story.

Ex-Braves GM John Coppolella permanently banned; team loses prospects

This is going to put a serious hurt on their minor league development for the next 5 years or so.

#2894592 - 12/07/17 02:36 PM Re: Official MLB 2018 Thread [Re: Synthaholic]
davedoerfler Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Synthaholic
This is going to put a serious hurt on their minor league development for the next 5 years or so.

Damn. That completely sucks for Braves fans.

#2894601 - 12/07/17 03:27 PM Re: Official MLB 2018 Thread [Re: MathOfInsects]
Bobadohshe Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: MathOfInsects
And Hosmer.

Not a great idea for the Padres right now.

#2894605 - 12/07/17 03:34 PM Re: Official MLB 2018 Thread [Re: davedoerfler]
drawback Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: davedoerfler
Originally Posted By: Synthaholic

Damn. That completely sucks for Braves fans.

However, they signed Alex Antholpoulos. Good things are in store.

Kawai KG2 | Studiologic SL88 | Mojo61 | Pianoteq 6 | Ravenscroft 275 | Korg Module

#2894805 - 12/09/17 07:37 AM Re: Official MLB 2018 Thread [Re: drawback]
Adan Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Francisco
Let's take a moment to feel sorry for Giancarlo Stanton, who appears will not be able to play for his favorite team, the Dodgers, because they can't take on his salary. He may instead have to toil in obscurity with the Yankees.

But seriously, it looks like he will only waive his trade clause for a team that's already a winner (which is why he rejected the Giants). Whatever team he goes to, he's going to most likely put them over the top. It seems almost unfair.

roccoromanucci.com

#2894811 - 12/09/17 08:14 AM Re: Official MLB 2018 Thread [Re: Adan]
drawback Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Canada
OTOH, I love it when an inexpensive team of mostly home grown players takes down the big boys when it counts. Irony, thy name is baseball.

Kawai KG2 | Studiologic SL88 | Mojo61 | Pianoteq 6 | Ravenscroft 275 | Korg Module

#2894827 - 12/09/17 10:29 AM Re: Official MLB 2018 Thread [Re: drawback]
Dave Ferris Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Glendale, Ca.
I've been thinking the exact same thing since the final out of the WS.

Even though I was disappointed (mainly for the LA fans) at the outcome of Game 7 and I've never been an Astros fan, I kinda dug the fact that the three teams that spent the most dough- Dodgers, Cubs & Yankees - all fell short of the championship.

The whole money/corporate/ player mercenary state of baseball - Pujols was the tipping point for me , they would have erected a statue outside of Busch next to Musial had he stayed - basically has ruined my deep love for the game. Now, I do watch the post season and enjoy the close games but I'm nowhere near the fan I was. I literally lived and died with the Cardinals for 50 years ! Now I'm fairly indifferent to it all.

With regard to Stanton- jeez aren't the Yankees still paying off A-Rod's contract ? cry wink

2005 NY Steinway D
Yamaha CP4, CP5

#2894829 - 12/09/17 10:34 AM Re: Official MLB 2018 Thread [Re: Dave Ferris]
MotiDave Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: San Diego, CA USA
I'm a Padres fan so I haven't paid much attention to MLB in a couple decades.

I eternally hate the Dodgers but its really just a jealousy thing. i'm ok with that.

#2894831 - 12/09/17 10:54 AM Re: Official MLB 2018 Thread [Re: Dave Ferris]
Bobadohshe Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Dave Ferris

The whole money/corporate/ player mercenary state of baseball - Pujols was the tipping point for me , they would have erected a statue outside of Busch next to Musial had he stayed - basically has ruined my deep love for the game.

This is why Padres fans worship and revere our legendary Tony Gwynn. A man who turned down more lucrative contracts to play his entire hall of fame career with SD. It's not something we may ever see again in baseball.

#2894840 - 12/09/17 11:41 AM Re: Official MLB 2018 Thread [Re: Bobadohshe]
Geoff Grace Offline
10k Club

Speaking of Southern California baseball:

Shohei Ohtani agrees to sign with Angels

Best,

Geoff

#2894842 - 12/09/17 11:46 AM Re: Official MLB 2018 Thread [Re: Dave Ferris]
davedoerfler Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

With regard to Stanton- jeez aren't the Yankees still paying off A-Rod's contract ? cry wink

I dunno about that but the Yankees are going to be a very good team for quite a few years now, I believe, if the Stanton deal goes through. They thought they would get Ohtani, now with him out of their reach they are going all in on Stanton.

#2894851 - 12/09/17 12:14 PM Re: Official MLB 2018 Thread [Re: Bobadohshe]
Synthaholic Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: Bobadohshe

The whole money/corporate/ player mercenary state of baseball - Pujols was the tipping point for me , they would have erected a statue outside of Busch next to Musial had he stayed - basically has ruined my deep love for the game.

This is why Padres fans worship and revere our legendary Tony Gwynn. A man who turned down more lucrative contracts to play his entire hall of fame career with SD. It's not something we may ever see again in baseball.

There were actually a few of them. Robin Yount & Paul Molitor were both heavily enticed to leave Milwaukee. Chipper Jones could have made a lot more money by leaving the Braves - not that he was hurting, but baseball players value their worth by the size of their contracts these days. There are no longer players willing to take a pay cut to remain with the team they loved, like Phil Niekro. But yeah, Tony Gwynn was special. He could have put up even better numbers in Yankee Stadium, with it's short right field.

Speaking of Yankee Stadium, I don't think Giancarlo Stanton would have gone to the Yanks if they were still in the old Stadium, where sure homers in other parks died in front of the warning track.

I remember reading an economist's comparison of the contract proposals to Pujols from the Cardinals and Angels and he concluded that Albert was worse off financially with the Angels, due to California taxes and other factors. I thought it was a boneheaded move on his part from a strictly baseball perspective.

#2894853 - 12/09/17 12:20 PM Re: Official MLB 2018 Thread [Re: Synthaholic]
Synthaholic Offline
Platinum Member

Seen on Twitter:

The Red Sox have reconstructed the Green Monster after hearing the Yankees acquired Giancarlo Stanton

#2894854 - 12/09/17 12:24 PM Re: Official MLB 2018 Thread [Re: Synthaholic]
Synthaholic Offline
Platinum Member

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner