Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#2909005 - 02/12/18 11:14 AM Re: Official MLB 2018 Thread [Re: KenElevenShadows]
drawback Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Victoria BC, Canada
As far as Darvish somehow tipping pitches during the World Series, remember there has been a change in coaching in Chicago. If anyone can improve this, it's Jim Hickey, reunited this year with Joe Maddon. Long-term contracts aren't generally a good idea for a team unless there are mechanisms like front-loading, incentives, etc but I also understand Darvish signed for about $40M less than he was looking for. This must have worked both ways.

KC Island
#2918244 - 03/30/18 04:22 PM Re: Official MLB 2018 Thread [Re: drawback]
MAJUSCULE Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Edmonton, Alberta
Play ball! wave

(yesterday, sure, but better late than never)

#2918258 - 03/30/18 07:23 PM Re: Official MLB 2018 Thread [Re: MAJUSCULE]
davedoerfler Offline
KCFF League Champion 2017
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: the swamp
not yesterday for Washington/Cincinnati, which got postponed a day due to inclement weather. Scherzer struck out 10, including 7 in a row, looking towards 3rd Cy Young award season in a row. Great start for that. cool
MojoGuyPan (RIP)

#2918624 - 04/01/18 06:08 PM Re: Official MLB 2018 Thread [Re: davedoerfler]
Geoff Grace Offline
10k Club

I just heard about this. RIP to one of my childhood baseball heroes:

In memory of Rusty Staub, one of the most underrated players in baseball history

Best,

Geoff

Enthusiasm powers the world.

Craig Anderton's Archiving Article

#2918820 - 04/02/18 04:29 PM Re: Official MLB 2018 Thread [Re: Geoff Grace]
Synthaholic Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Proud Resister of 2nd helpings
Originally Posted By: Geoff Grace
I just heard about this. RIP to one of my childhood baseball heroes:

In memory of Rusty Staub, one of the most underrated players in baseball history

Best,

Geoff

Le Grand Orange. As good a player as Rusty was, he was an even better human being.

http://www.qchron.com/editions/central/m...82f39c7e06.html

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

#2918830 - 04/02/18 05:13 PM Re: Official MLB 2018 Thread [Re: Synthaholic]
Geoff Grace Offline
10k Club

thu

Best,

Geoff

#2927392 - 05/16/18 04:32 PM Re: Official MLB 2018 Thread [Re: KenElevenShadows]
Synthaholic Offline
Platinum Member

My Braves are in 1st place, with the best record in the National League! Who woulda thunk it? Second baseman Ozzie Albies is tied for the major league lead in homers, and Nick Markakis is leading the league in hitting.

Oh happy day!

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

#2927400 - 05/16/18 05:29 PM Re: Official MLB 2018 Thread [Re: Synthaholic]
davedoerfler Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Happy for you, Synthaholic. Let's see where we are 4 months from now, that's what is important. wink
MojoGuyPan (RIP)

#2927415 - 05/16/18 08:05 PM Re: Official MLB 2018 Thread [Re: davedoerfler]
Synthaholic Offline
Platinum Member

And Albies does it again tonight, hitting a triple for his Major League-leading 30th extra-base hit, and being driven home by Ronald Acuna, Jr.

They are the two youngest position players in MLB.

Nobody thought the Braves would finish higher than 5th in their division this year. Only the Yankees and Red Sox have better records.

#2938158 - 07/16/18 08:15 PM Re: Official MLB 2018 Thread [Re: Synthaholic]
Geoff Grace Offline
10k Club

#2938160 - 07/16/18 08:38 PM Re: Official MLB 2018 Thread [Re: Geoff Grace]
davedoerfler Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

twothumbs
MojoGuyPan (RIP)

#2938194 - 07/17/18 07:26 AM Re: Official MLB 2018 Thread [Re: davedoerfler]
ProfD Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Wash DC Area
Originally Posted By: davedoerfler

twothumbs

Go Bryce. thu

While I'm not a huge MLB fan, I do root for my home team. Go Nats. grin

Also, I work within walking distance of the stadium. Of course, we are innundated with MLB all-star stuff. laugh cool

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

#2938381 - 07/18/18 08:56 AM Re: Official MLB 2018 Thread [Re: Geoff Grace]
Synthaholic Offline
Platinum Member

The Cardinals are fools if they donít hire ex-Card Joe Girardi to manage.

#2939621 - 07/26/18 08:47 AM Re: Official MLB 2018 Thread [Re: Synthaholic]
Synthaholic Offline
Platinum Member

A question for the ages:

Bartolo Colon, Hall of Famer? Maybe it's not so crazy
http://sports-ak.espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/24191231/bartolo-colon-hall-famer-maybe-not-crazy

Yeah, itís kinda crazy.

#2943134 - 08/14/18 11:21 AM Re: Official MLB 2018 Thread [Re: Synthaholic]
Geoff Grace Offline
10k Club

Speaking of "for the ages," not in 82 years, not your typical walk-off:

Cubs stun Nats on Bote's walk-off slam

Best,

Geoff

#2943218 - 08/14/18 08:22 PM Re: Official MLB 2018 Thread [Re: Geoff Grace]
Synthaholic Offline
Platinum Member

Speaking of "for the ages," not in 82 years, not your typical walk-off:

Cubs stun Nats on Bote's walk-off slam

Best,

Geoff

Here it is, condensed. Fantastic!

https://twitter.com/cubs/status/1028989554508816384?s=21

#2943495 - 08/16/18 09:39 AM Re: Official MLB 2018 Thread [Re: Synthaholic]
Synthaholic Offline
Platinum Member

Did this:

Ölead to this?

It sure looks that way. The pitcher has a suspect history. He should be suspended, as should Don Mattingly, pained as I am to say it about my all-time favorite player.

#2943513 - 08/16/18 11:01 AM Re: Official MLB 2018 Thread [Re: Synthaholic]
harmonizer Offline
Gold Member

Loc: NJ, USA
Re the beaning of Acuna, it definitely looks intentional to me. I feel there are inadequate consequences imposed on baseball players (and their teams) who injure or risk injuring another player, either deliberately or via reckless endangerment.

Roger Clemens should have been ejected from game 2 of the 2000 World Series, suspended for the rest of the series, and the Yankees should have been forced to play the rest of that World Series without replacing his roster spot. (Clemens threw half a shattered bat with a jagged end at Piazza, when he was halfway to first base, and Clemens claimed he thought it was the ball).

LA Dodgers' Utley should have been suspended for the rest of the postseason after he broke Ruben Tejada's leg in the 2015 playoffs. He was originally suspended 2 games only, but then even that was appealed and overturned. IMO, the Dodgers should also have had to play the rest of the postseason without filling Utley's roster spot.

There should be a real consequence to the offending player and their organization.

#2943515 - 08/16/18 11:08 AM Re: Official MLB 2018 Thread [Re: Synthaholic]
davedoerfler Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Synthaholic
The pitcher has a suspect history. He should be suspended, as should Don Mattingly

Certainly it was intentional, the pitcher can spout out whatever bullshit he wants, he's lying. I'm not sure Mattingly green lighted it though. It was a rogue move, same as Hunter Strickland intentionally hitting Bryce Harper in 2017. Watch the catcher in the video. If he knows the batter is going to get hit, he would pop up. The catcher doesn't move.
MojoGuyPan (RIP)

#2943569 - 08/16/18 04:21 PM Re: Official MLB 2018 Thread [Re: davedoerfler]
davedoerfler Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

OK, so now Urena has been suspended 6 games for hitting Acuna. So he has to miss one start. facepalm
I guess it's more of a financial punishment, as he won't get paid for 6 games, even though he wouldn't be playing anyway. idk
MojoGuyPan (RIP)

#2943764 - 08/17/18 05:43 PM Re: Official MLB 2018 Thread [Re: harmonizer]
Synthaholic Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: harmonizer
Re the beaning of Acuna, it definitely looks intentional to me. I feel there are inadequate consequences imposed on baseball players (and their teams) who injure or risk injuring another player, either deliberately or via reckless endangerment.

Roger Clemens should have been ejected from game 2 of the 2000 World Series, suspended for the rest of the series, and the Yankees should have been forced to play the rest of that World Series without replacing his roster spot. (Clemens threw half a shattered bat with a jagged end at Piazza, when he was halfway to first base, and Clemens claimed he thought it was the ball).

LA Dodgers' Utley should have been suspended for the rest of the postseason after he broke Ruben Tejada's leg in the 2015 playoffs. He was originally suspended 2 games only, but then even that was appealed and overturned. IMO, the Dodgers should also have had to play the rest of the postseason without filling Utley's roster spot.

There should be a real consequence to the offending player and their organization.

This pitcher was suspended for 6 games. Basically one start. Not enough.

I agree about Clemens. Not sure about Utley. Tejada has to position himself correctly to not get hurt. Iím of the Ty Cobb attitude when it comes to hardball. I thought Utley slid hard but not illegally.

#2943766 - 08/17/18 05:48 PM Re: Official MLB 2018 Thread [Re: davedoerfler]
Synthaholic Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: davedoerfler
The pitcher has a suspect history. He should be suspended, as should Don Mattingly

Certainly it was intentional, the pitcher can spout out whatever bullshit he wants, he's lying. I'm not sure Mattingly green lighted it though. It was a rogue move, same as Hunter Strickland intentionally hitting Bryce Harper in 2017. Watch the catcher in the video. If he knows the batter is going to get hit, he would pop up. The catcher doesn't move.

If Donny Baseball didnít know about it I imagine heíll be pissed. Itís disrespectful to him if one of his players feels he can go rogue.

#2943777 - 08/17/18 09:19 PM Re: Official MLB 2018 Thread [Re: Synthaholic]
harmonizer Offline
Gold Member

Loc: NJ, USA
....I thought Utley slid hard but not illegally.

I agree that the Utley slide was not in the same category as Clemens throwing half a fractured bat. My problem with the Utley slide was where he slid. The point at which he made contact with Tejada was past 2nd base, and far to the side of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laZsu7hq3W8

#2943966 - 08/19/18 09:35 AM Re: Official MLB 2018 Thread [Re: harmonizer]
Synthaholic Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: harmonizer
....I thought Utley slid hard but not illegally.

I agree that the Utley slide was not in the same category as Clemens throwing half a fractured bat. My problem with the Utley slide was where he slid. The point at which he made contact with Tejada was past 2nd base, and far to the side of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laZsu7hq3W8

Actually, re-watching it reminds me that he started his slide past the base. Clearly illegal. I had remembered it as just hard-nosed baseball, which Iím a fan of.

Anyone remember the Carlton Fisk-Thurman Munson plate collision? Lol!

#2944817 - 08/24/18 11:09 AM Re: Official MLB 2018 Thread [Re: Synthaholic]
Synthaholic Offline
Platinum Member

This is so cool. Zoom in and touch any ZIP code to find out the breakdown of fans, based on Facebook data.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/04/24/upshot/facebook-baseball-map.html

Then check out the excellent article:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/04/23/upshot/24-upshot-baseball.html

I had no idea that the Angels, White Sox and Padres had such small fan bases, or that the Rangersí was so large. My assumption was that half of Texas were Astros fans. The Mets, and especially the Athletics are justÖsad.

#2944859 - 08/24/18 02:09 PM Re: Official MLB 2018 Thread [Re: Synthaholic]
Bobadohshe Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Diego / Los Angeles

I had no idea that the [.....] Padres had such small fan bases,

We have the distinct geographical disadvantage of being hemmed in by an ocean to the west, a desert to the east, and a different country to the south. (also losing for a long long time)

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section
https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

#2944890 - 08/24/18 04:30 PM Re: Official MLB 2018 Thread [Re: Bobadohshe]
Synthaholic Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: Bobadohshe

I had no idea that the [.....] Padres had such small fan bases,

We have the distinct geographical disadvantage of being hemmed in by an ocean to the west, a desert to the east, and a different country to the south. (also losing for a long long time)

Yeah, they point that out in the article, but I never had really thought of that before. I guess the Marlins are in a similar situation.

Whatís funny is that when you click ZIP codes even up in Alaska, itís still Yankees and Red Sox dominating, with some Mariners fans thrown in.

#2947225 - 09/08/18 01:36 PM Re: Official MLB 2018 Thread [Re: Synthaholic]
Synthaholic Offline
Platinum Member

The Braves are pissing me off.

#2947276 - 09/08/18 09:07 PM Re: Official MLB 2018 Thread [Re: Synthaholic]
davedoerfler Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

fortunately for you as a Braves fan, the entire division sucks. The Braves would not be in first place in any other division in baseball. That, however, does not matter. The Braves are in first place in their division. Good for you.
MojoGuyPan (RIP)

#2947363 - 09/09/18 09:52 PM Re: Official MLB 2018 Thread [Re: davedoerfler]
Synthaholic Offline
Platinum Member

Braves bullpen is awful.

Where is Bryce Harper going to land? Yankees, aiming for that short RF porch?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner