Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2894264 - 12/06/17 09:41 AM Interesting find in "Close Encounters" Script
#%$(# Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Orlando, Florida
When I was perusing some of the "Close Encounter of the Third Kind" scripts (yes I do stuff like that), I saw some interesting (and funny) synth references.

The first one strikes out "Yamaha" and inserts "Moog" laugh

And then in a synopsis, the scene calls for not one, not two, but THREE "Yamaha Moag" synthesizers!!! (Alien Gas?) facepalm :

Anyway, it was a Yamaha SY-2 and the Arp 2500 that were finally used. That Yamaha Moag would have been cool though...

KC Island
#2894269 - 12/06/17 09:51 AM Re: Interesting find in "Close Encounters" Script [Re: #%$(#]
MathOfInsects Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: California

#2894270 - 12/06/17 09:53 AM Re: Interesting find in "Close Encounters" Script [Re: #%$(#]
mate stubb Offline
Grand Poobah of the Trebuchet
10k Club

The SEQUENCER does NOT make the KEYS GO DOWN!!!

GRrrrrRrrrr! cop facepalm taz mad hitt

http://www.hotrodmotm.com

#2894271 - 12/06/17 09:56 AM Re: Interesting find in "Close Encounters" Script [Re: mate stubb]
MathOfInsects Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

But the rest of the movie was completely believable until there?

#2894276 - 12/06/17 10:23 AM Re: Interesting find in "Close Encounters" Script [Re: MathOfInsects]
Rod S Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: So Paulo, Brasil
Brazil has an amplifier manufacturer called "Moug", from a distance it looks like moog. idk cry

#2894277 - 12/06/17 10:37 AM Re: Interesting find in "Close Encounters" Script [Re: #%$(#]
ABECK Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Framingham,MA,UNITED STATES
Thankfully it wasn't a few years later - a DX-7 just wouldn't have been the same!!

#2894279 - 12/06/17 10:44 AM Re: Interesting find in "Close Encounters" Script [Re: Rod S]
xKnuckles Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: United Kingdom

Moon synthesiser:

#2894285 - 12/06/17 11:15 AM Re: Interesting find in "Close Encounters" Script [Re: xKnuckles]
drawback Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Canada
Invented by this guy?

Kawai KG2 | Studiologic SL88 | Mojo61 | Pianoteq 6 | Ravenscroft 275 | Korg Module

#2894290 - 12/06/17 11:54 AM Re: Interesting find in "Close Encounters" Script [Re: drawback]
GRollins Offline
Gold Member

I have a couple of questions about the movie, but I'll restrict myself to one for the moment:

Does anyone else remember a scene in which the various close encounters were described? Close encounters of the first kind are (whatever it was). Close encounters of the second kind ("). Close encounters of the third kind...

My wife works at a library--brought home a boxed set extravaganza with three different versions of the movie. I saw the original release and the later version which "shared the experience of being inside" the mothership. Not one of the versions had such a scene. There were other scenes that she and I agreed that we remembered, but could not find. I'm beginning to wonder if Spielberg has "done a Lucas" and gone back to change even the original theatrical release for some reason.

Grey

#2894293 - 12/06/17 12:10 PM Re: Interesting find in "Close Encounters" Script [Re: GRollins]
Rod S Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: So Paulo, Brasil
I've seen the movie so many times, in different formats, that I'm not sure. I thought so too, but then I saw this:

Quote:
The title (which is never specifically explained in the movie) is actually derived from Hyneks own alien close encounter classification system: A close encounter of the first kind is sighting of a UFO; the second kind is physical evidence to prove the existence of an alien; and the third kind is actual contact with alien life forms.

It did show up in several posters.

Josef Allen Hynek was responsible for the classification.

Big astronomy fan (majored in physics and then mechanical engineering), had to look this up. thu

Edited by Rod S (12/06/17 12:12 PM)

#2894313 - 12/06/17 01:02 PM Re: Interesting find in "Close Encounters" Script [Re: GRollins]
ABECK Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: GRollins

Does anyone else remember a scene in which the various close encounters were described?

It was described in the trailer. This Means Something

#2894319 - 12/06/17 01:20 PM Re: Interesting find in "Close Encounters" Script [Re: ABECK]
GRollins Offline
Gold Member

It's not a question of what the sundry "kinds" are, per se, it's more "Did Spielberg change the confounded movie?"

I swear the various "kinds" were in one of the versions I saw in the theater. Judging from the descriptions in the movie set, I think I saw the 1st and 3rd versions.

Another point--this one from my wife, but after thinking about it, I think I agree:

Okay...so you've got Neary, and he's ready to go aboard the spaceship. He's standing on the ground, still. In the background, you can see the NASA (or CIA or NSA or whoever they are) critters who are also going aboard in their matching red(?) flight suits. Now, you see them come out of the briefing/prayer/whatever with Neary bringing up the tail end of the line, then they're standing in a neat row at the end of the ramp.

Then they vanish.

My wife says she remembers a cut where they're going to/ascending the ramp into the spaceship. They're in the background (we think), with Neary and what's-his-face in the foreground, but nonetheless, you see them going aboard. I'm thinking she's right about that being made explicit--that they board the ship--in at least one of the theatrical releases.

Anyone else remember this?

Grey

#2894323 - 12/06/17 01:33 PM Re: Interesting find in "Close Encounters" Script [Re: GRollins]
Stokely Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Florida
What the hell is a "quaver"? I don't have any formal music training...or did he say something else?

As an aside, this is one of the movies I don't like watching due to the ending. I have a really hard time with him leaving his family--I guess that may be the point, but there's no way, no how I'd leave my sons for anything.

Similar deal with The Mist, which was pretty well done and faithful to the original story, until the director decided he'd improve something that didn't need it...hated, hated the ending.

Edited by Stokely (12/06/17 01:34 PM)

#2894325 - 12/06/17 01:35 PM Re: Interesting find in "Close Encounters" Script [Re: #%$(#]
Markyboard Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Springfield, Virginia
Originally Posted By: #%$(#

Anyway, it was a Yamaha SY-2 and...

Yamaha...always reaching out with their alien friendly interface
hitt

#2894329 - 12/06/17 02:08 PM Re: Interesting find in "Close Encounters" Script [Re: GRollins]
El Lobo Offline
Gold Member

My wife says she remembers a cut where they're going to/ascending the ramp into the spaceship. They're in the background (we think), with Neary and what's-his-face in the foreground, but nonetheless, you see them going aboard. I'm thinking she's right about that being made explicit--that they board the ship--in at least one of the theatrical releases.

Anyone else remember this?
Yes. I remember this.

#2894330 - 12/06/17 02:12 PM Re: Interesting find in "Close Encounters" Script [Re: El Lobo]
Joe BrokeIt Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
10k Club

Loc: Heaven, Hell, or Houston
Gosh guys, you already have an internet connection, maybe you could look it up?

Quote:
Reissues and home video

On the final cut privilege, Spielberg was dissatisfied with the film. Columbia Pictures was experiencing financial problems, and they were depending on this film to save their company. "I wanted to have another six months to finish off this film, and release it in summer 1978. They told me they needed this film out immediately," Spielberg explained. "Anyway, Close Encounters was a huge financial success and I told them I wanted to make my own director's cut. They agreed on the condition that I show the inside of the mothership so they could have something to hang a [reissue marketing] campaign on. I never should have shown the inside of the mother ship."[7] In 1979, Columbia gave Spielberg $1.5 million to produce what became the "Special Edition" of the film. Spielberg added seven minutes of new footage, but also deleted or shortened various existing scenes by a total of ten minutes, so that the Special Edition was three minutes shorter than the original 1977 release.[10] The Special Edition featured several new character development scenes, the discovery of the SS Cotopaxi in the Gobi Desert, and a view of the inside of the mothership. Close Encounters of the Third Kind: The Special Edition was released in August 1980, making a further $15.7 million, accumulating a final $303.7 million box office gross.[10][30] Roger Ebert "thought the original film was an astonishing achievement, capturing the feeling of awe and wonder we have when considering the likelihood of life beyond the Earth. ... This new version ... is, quite simply, a better film ... Why didn't Spielberg make it this good the first time?"[34]

The 1980 Special Edition was the version officially available for some time, until The Criterion Collection offered both versions on LaserDisc in 1990.[35] This triple-disc LaserDisc set also included an interactive "Making Close Encounters" documentary featuring interviews with Spielberg and other cast and crew involved with the film, as well as stills and script excerpts. In 1993, the Special Edition was released on VHS and LaserDisc and did not see a further release for 14 years.

In 1998, Spielberg recut Close Encounters again for what would become the "Collector's Edition," and it was released on home video and LaserDisc. This version of the film is a re-edit of the original 1977 release with some elements of the 1980 Special Edition, but omits the mothership interior scenes as Spielberg felt they should have remained a mystery. This LaserDisc edition also includes a new 101-minute documentary, The Making of Close Encounters, which was produced in 1997 and features interviews with Spielberg, the main cast and notable crew members. There have also been many other alternate versions of the film for network and syndicated television, as well as a previous LaserDisc version. Some of these combined all released material from the 1977 and 1980 versions. However, none of these versions were edited by Spielberg, who regards the "Collector's Edition" as his definitive version of Close Encounters. The Collector's Edition was given a limited release as part of a roadshow featuring select films to celebrate Columbia Pictures' 75th anniversary in 1999. It was the first time this version of the film had been shown theatrically. The director's cut was once again released in theaters on September 1, 2017 in tribute to the film's 40th anniversary.[36] It made $1.8 million in the weekend ($2.3 million over the four-day Labor Day holiday), pushing its career global gross to over $306 million worldwide.[37]

Close Encounters was released on DVD in June 2001 as a two-disc set that contained the "Collector's Edition".[38] This set contained several extra features, including the 1997 "Making of" documentary, a featurette from 1977, trailers and deleted scenes that included the mothership interior from the 1980 Special Edition.

#2894331 - 12/06/17 02:16 PM Re: Interesting find in "Close Encounters" Script [Re: Stokely]
EscapeRocks Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By: Stokely
What the hell is a "quaver"? I don't have any formal music training...or did he say something else?

It's an old British term for 1/8 note.

#2894332 - 12/06/17 02:20 PM Re: Interesting find in "Close Encounters" Script [Re: EscapeRocks]
nickd Offline
Gold Member

Loc: UK
Originally Posted By: EscapeRocks

It's an old British term for 1/8 note.

Old? Still standard usage in Blighty.

#2894333 - 12/06/17 02:20 PM Re: Interesting find in "Close Encounters" Script [Re: Stokely]
VanDerGraaf Offline

What the hell is a "quaver"? .

It's English for an 8th note smile

Ah, this film, the synth sequence, memories, an age of innocence.

I remember something from the novelisation, missing from the film, where they have to actually borrow the synthesiser.

It started something like:
"A Moog synthesiser is nothing if not complicated."
( I guess it was a modular they borrowed in the book laugh )

I may be going crazy, but I am sure there was something then written about them borrowing it from Stevie Wonder!!

Of course didn't they use an ARP in the film, and a small Yamaha (CS-5?)

Edited by VanDerGraaf (12/06/17 02:23 PM)
Edit Reason: sp

#2894335 - 12/06/17 02:28 PM Re: Interesting find in "Close Encounters" Script [Re: Joe BrokeIt]
GRollins Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: Joe BrokeIt

You're missing my point--maybe I wasn't clear. This Super-Duper-Omigawd boxed set didn't have these scenes in any of the versions--one of which was (supposedly) the original theatrical release, another being the "inside the ship" version, and another version (which I hadn't known existed--some sort of hybrid. None of them had the stuff I'm trying to describe, even though they are claimed to be exactly as they were in the theaters, way back when.

There were other scenes as well. I'm drawing a blank at the moment; this was a month or two ago. When my wife gets home from work, I'll ask and see if she can remember some of the other things.

Grey

#2894452 - 12/07/17 06:30 AM Re: Interesting find in "Close Encounters" Script [Re: GRollins]
ABECK Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

The releases were:
1977 Original Theatrical release
1980 Special Edition re-release (with newly shot scenes, including inside the mother ship)
1998 Director's cut (some new scenes included, but not the interior of the mother ship).

Sounds like your box set likely includes the 1998 director's cut and maybe the original? From what I've read, Spielberg eventually came to the conclusion that the the inside of the ship should be left to the imagination of the viewer. So it's likely the interior scene is something that was never released on DVD.

#2894464 - 12/07/17 07:31 AM Re: Interesting find in "Close Encounters" Script [Re: ABECK]
Joe BrokeIt Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
10k Club

You're missing my point--maybe I wasn't clear. This Super-Duper-Omigawd boxed set didn't have these scenes in any of the versions--one of which was (supposedly) the original theatrical release, another being the "inside the ship" version, and another version (which I hadn't known existed--some sort of hybrid. None of them had the stuff I'm trying to describe, even though they are claimed to be exactly as they were in the theaters, way back when.

There were other scenes as well. I'm drawing a blank at the moment; this was a month or two ago. When my wife gets home from work, I'll ask and see if she can remember some of the other things.
Okay, I guess I got lost in all the possible versions you guys were talking about. But memories could be fallible. I recently saw Mo' Better Blues for the first time since I saw it in the theater at school, and the scene where he gets beat up was very different than I remembered it. He still got beat up, just differently. I doubt Spike made different versions.

Originally Posted By: ABECK
The releases were:
1980 Special Edition re-release (with newly shot scenes, including inside the mother ship)
1998 Director's cut (some new scenes included, but not the interior of the mother ship).

Sounds like your box set likely includes the 1998 director's cut and maybe the original? From what I've read, Spielberg eventually came to the conclusion that the the inside of the ship should be left to the imagination of the viewer. So it's likely the interior scene is something that was never released on DVD.
This was all in what I quoted above, I think, just more verbosely. smile

#2894488 - 12/07/17 08:53 AM Re: Interesting find in "Close Encounters" Script [Re: Joe BrokeIt]
MathOfInsects Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I remember the original release of this movie almost minute by minute, and maybe second by second. It was my favorite movie by far as a kid, and I've never forgotten the feeling of leaving the theater after seeing it, and looking up at the sky, and thinking something was somehow different.

I also remember literally hating Spielberg for years for ruining it by releasing that cut that showed the inside of the ship, with that corny Disney "Wish Upon a Star" quote. There is no question that what made the original movie work, was that Roy got to see something we didn't.

I only slightly forgave him when he pulled that scene back out, since "can't unring a bell" and all that. Come to think of it, I might still hold a grudge about this.

I also remember reading that Spielberg said he couldn't have made the movie after he got married and had kids, and didn't really think through the implications of the father kissing the girlfriend goodbye and heading off forever from his children. I have to admit, when I watched it again after having kids, I was like...."BUT WHAT ABOUT THE KIDS???"

Anyway. I must have played that five-note thing a billion times as a young pre-teen. I remember learning that boogie-woogie bassline that ends on the octave-5 and noticing it was like the Close Encounters theme. Later I read that John Williams chose to end on the 5 because it was like ending on a question. When I read that, I thought, "EXACTLY WHY WE SHOULDN'T SEE THE INSIDE OF THE SHIP."

Clearly yes, I do still hold a grudge.

#2894495 - 12/07/17 09:07 AM Re: Interesting find in "Close Encounters" Script [Re: MathOfInsects]
ABECK Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: MathOfInsects
"BUT WHAT ABOUT THE KIDS???"

Yes, but his kids were painfully annoying. I picture him getting on the ship, sitting on a couch with a beer and happily sighing. Finally able to relax.

#2894513 - 12/07/17 09:42 AM Re: Interesting find in "Close Encounters" Script [Re: ABECK]
MathOfInsects Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

#2894526 - 12/07/17 10:08 AM Re: Interesting find in "Close Encounters" Script [Re: ABECK]
GRollins Offline
Gold Member

The releases were:

From what you've posted, it must have been #1 and #2 that I saw, not #1 and #3. Yeah, I hated the "inside" version. I distinctly remember wanting to get my ticket money back after the movie was over--felt cheated on so many levels.

None of the stuff I'm remembering (or my wife, for that matter) takes place inside the ship. It's all prior to that, in the main body of the movie.

My kids have never seen Han Solo shoot first. Imagine that. They think Star Wars (aside from what I've told them and showed them in clips from the web) is the way it is on the DVDs we have. I still kick myself for letting go of my VHS set of the first three Star Wars movies (now known as #4-6), because it was the last time I had a copy of the "real" Star Wars in my hands...but how was I to know Lucas was going to make all those crazy changes to the movie. (How the ever-livin' hell can Greedo miss a less-than-one meter shot? Really? Besides, Han blew his bumpy little green ass away before he even pulled the trigger, so it shouldn't matter, you know?) But the thing is, the Greedo-shot-first version is now the official version. And I'm wondering if Spielberg has done the same thing with Close Encounters.

Yes, there are sites all over the web that claim to track "every" change in Star Wars, but I can tell you a dozen things they never mention, possibly because they feel it's too trivial or perhaps they're just not looking at the same things I saw. I've looked at a number of sites that purport to show the differences in the versions of Close Encounters, but they're pretty lame, in my opinion. They certainly don't go down to the level of detail that would address things like whether the red-suit NASA guys get on the alien ship or not.

No, I don't have an old VHS version of Close Encounters that I can drag out to check. I don't even have a DVD version. This is all from a three disk set that my wife checked out from the library where she works.

And our memories.

Grey

Edited by GRollins (12/07/17 10:09 AM)

#2894529 - 12/07/17 10:20 AM Re: Interesting find in "Close Encounters" Script [Re: GRollins]
Joe BrokeIt Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
10k Club

I still kick myself for letting go of my VHS set of the first three Star Wars movies (now known as #4-6), because it was the last time I had a copy of the "real" Star Wars in my hands...but how was I to know Lucas was going to make all those crazy changes to the movie.
At one point, Lucas did release the original theatrical cuts of 4 - 6 on DVD, and I have them. I may have even seen blu-ray versions at one point.

#2894554 - 12/07/17 11:07 AM Re: Interesting find in "Close Encounters" Script [Re: Joe BrokeIt]
Desert Rat Offline

Loc: Arizona, U.S.
So, with the Yamaha and Moog in the script, how did the ARP 2500 end up becoming the synthesizer used in the movie?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARP_2500

#2894555 - 12/07/17 11:23 AM Re: Interesting find in "Close Encounters" Script [Re: Desert Rat]
ABECK Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

That'd be an interesting factoid. I'd like to think Spielberg saw both and something about the ARP looked more futuristic....or the panel colors fit in better with his vision, or something of the like. Who knows. More likely, it may just have been simple logistics regarding which one was more readily available at the time of production.

#2894574 - 12/07/17 12:24 PM Re: Interesting find in "Close Encounters" Script [Re: Desert Rat]
J. Dan Offline
Bannination Free Since '08
10k Club

Loc: St. Louis, MO
Originally Posted By: Desert Rat
So, with the Yamaha and Moog in the script, how did the ARP 2500 end up becoming the synthesizer used in the movie?

They needed a modular synth to get that complex sound. grin

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

#2894576 - 12/07/17 12:36 PM Re: Interesting find in "Close Encounters" Script [Re: Joe BrokeIt]
GRollins Offline
Gold Member

At one point, Lucas did release the original theatrical cuts of 4 - 6 on DVD, and I have them.

If they're the same disks I'm thinking of, there were already changes, even then.

Grey

#2894578 - 12/07/17 12:51 PM Re: Interesting find in "Close Encounters" Script [Re: Desert Rat]
mate stubb Offline
Grand Poobah of the Trebuchet
10k Club

Doesn't really answer your question, but this interview with Phil Dodds (the guy from Arp who played the synth in the movie) is interesting:

http://www.rhodeschroma.com/?id=doddswilliams

http://www.hotrodmotm.com

#2894588 - 12/07/17 02:09 PM Re: Interesting find in "Close Encounters" Script [Re: mate stubb]
GRollins Offline
Gold Member

Playing keys wasn't even on my radar back then--I was still firmly in the bass camp (a little guitar)--but I remember thinking that was a pretty impressive synth. Somewhere around that time, I was playing with a guy who had an ARP 2600, doing some Pink Floyd-ish things, but the console in the movie was a whole 'nother level of hardware.

Grey

#2894609 - 12/07/17 03:48 PM Re: Interesting find in "Close Encounters" Script [Re: mate stubb]
Karl Schmeer Offline

Loc: State of Misery
Originally Posted By: mate stubb

Doesn't really answer your question, but this interview with Phil Dodds (the guy from Arp who played the synth in the movie) is interesting:

Hey Mate Stubb
Many thanks for that link. A great read for which filled in a lot of blanks.

You may know of it already but Hal Chamberlin's book "Musical Applications of Microprocessors" gives a very detailed description / Analysis of the Chroma.
The book is out of print AFAIK but here is an ebook link to it

Musical Apps of Uc's

Thanks Again
- Karl

#2894613 - 12/07/17 03:59 PM Re: Interesting find in "Close Encounters" Script [Re: ABECK]
Happy Birthday CowboyNQ Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Adelaide, Australia
Originally Posted By: MathOfInsects
"BUT WHAT ABOUT THE KIDS???"

Yes, but his kids were painfully annoying. I picture him getting on the ship, sitting on a couch with a beer and happily sighing. Finally able to relax.

Yes - I had that exact thought too!

The first time I watched that movie (was only a kid myself) I remember thinking "what a horrible family".

#2894617 - 12/07/17 04:06 PM Re: Interesting find in "Close Encounters" Script [Re: Karl Schmeer]
The Real MC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Secluded Tranquil NY Wine Coun...
Phil Dodds describes his close brush with an acting career (he's a great story teller).

NAMM interviews Phil Dodds

#2894621 - 12/07/17 04:32 PM Re: Interesting find in "Close Encounters" Script [Re: CowboyNQ]
GRollins Offline
Gold Member

Close Encounters is a victim of peoples' tendencies to judge things by the socio-political mores of their current era. I've seen a lot of criticism of Close Encounters, based on how we feel about "deadbeat dads" and such nowadays. Back in the '70s, no one mentioned that at all, that I can recall. I remember some discussion as to whether Teri Garr properly represented the Women's Lib movement of the time, but that was the thing that was top-most in peoples' minds during the mid to late '70s.

As many have noted--including Mel Brooks, himself--it would be utterly impossible to make Blazing Saddles in today's climate. Back when it came out, it was regarded as edgy, but normal humor. Now the central themes simply would not fly. Period. There are any number of movies from the '70s that fail to pass muster, whether for sexual/gender roles, racial profiling, or whatever other reasons, given our current notions. Somehow, people feel that the writers, directors, actors, and actresses "knew better" or at least "should have known," how we would view things ca. 2017.

Hogwash.

Lacking a time machine, I don't see how they would have been able to guess that we would have had a black president, that gays could legally marry, and that there would be a revisionist tale where Greedo shot first.

Makes me wonder what we'll assume to be normal in another fifty years. (Not that I'll be around to see it, though I'm sure my kids will be shaking their heads over things that "everybody knows." Hell, we'll probably just have had our first Martian president, humans will legally marry 'bots, and C3P0 will have been the one who fired the first shot in a free-for-all melee that claimed the life of Luke Skywalker before he could even become a Jedi. Life is weird and getting weirder.)

Grey

#2894622 - 12/07/17 04:38 PM Re: Interesting find in "Close Encounters" Script [Re: GRollins]
Happy Birthday CowboyNQ Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Adelaide, Australia
Grey, what you say is true in the sense that I judged the film by the standards of my "current era" at the time.

For the record, that was early 1980's, in a loving but disciplined household. My dad would NOT have put up with the chaotic family life represented in the film. Their behaviour was about as alien to me as the spaceship!

Cool movie though.

#2894623 - 12/07/17 04:44 PM Re: Interesting find in "Close Encounters" Script [Re: CowboyNQ]
GRollins Offline
Gold Member

Quote:
I remember thinking "what a horrible family".

Yeah, me too...but that just brands me as a Troglodyte in some peoples' minds. I'm not going to try to justify any of the characters' actions, good or bad, but I'd like to point out something that seems to get lost in the shuffle sometimes: Neary was under the influence of the friggin' aliens! They (somehow) implanted the idea in his mind to meet them at the Devils Tower. His actions were not entirely under his control. For some reason, that one central fact seems to have escaped a lot of peoples' attention. It's not that all those people who were trying to go to the aliens' landing point suddenly decided to abandon their responsibilities on their own. The aliens chose them--for whatever inscrutable alien reasons--to go with them to the stars. You want to blame someone? Blame the aliens. Not Neary or the other humans.

Jeez.

Grey

Edited by GRollins (12/07/17 04:45 PM)

#2894624 - 12/07/17 04:49 PM Re: Interesting find in "Close Encounters" Script [Re: Desert Rat]
#%$(# Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Orlando, Florida

From an interview with Philip Dodds: "I was called down as a "subject expert" to install the 2500 system on the set--ARP was to get some screen credits for this."

My guess is they didn't have to pay for the Arp. smile

#2894625 - 12/07/17 04:58 PM Re: Interesting find in "Close Encounters" Script [Re: CowboyNQ]
GRollins Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: CowboyNQ
For the record, that was early 1980's, in a loving but disciplined household. My dad would NOT have put up with the chaotic family life represented in the film. Their behaviour was about as alien to me as the spaceship!

I have a pact with myself not to discuss my father--or my relationship with him--in a setting such as this. No need to burden you guys and gals with that nonsense. However, I will say this...I believe my father would have taken a dim view of the Neary household, whether alien-influenced or not. On this, my father and I might have found common ground (as odd as that may seem).

Yeah, I'd have hopped on that ship in a skinny instant, beer or no. Who knows, maybe the aliens have something better than beer. One could always hope.

Okay, and just to ground this in a proper music forum sort of way...wouldn't you love to take a gander at the aliens' synthesizer? Maybe get to play it?

Sign me up. Who needs a damned Moog, anyway? Or ARP...or Yamaha...or...

Grey

#2894635 - 12/07/17 06:05 PM Re: Interesting find in "Close Encounters" Script [Re: J. Dan]
Desert Rat Offline

Originally Posted By: J. Dan

They needed a modular synth to get that complex sound. grin

#2894636 - 12/07/17 06:09 PM Re: Interesting find in "Close Encounters" Script [Re: mate stubb]
Desert Rat Offline

Originally Posted By: mate stubb

That is very interesting. Thank you.

I have been an ARP fan since the first time I tore the floppy plastic demo record out of a magazine in my high school years. Now, I enjoy playing one and still have a soft spot in my heart even though there have been some more user friendly synths that have come out in the mean time.

#2894637 - 12/07/17 06:11 PM Re: Interesting find in "Close Encounters" Script [Re: The Real MC]
Desert Rat Offline

Originally Posted By: The Real MC
Phil Dodds describes his close brush with an acting career (he's a great story teller).

NAMM interviews Phil Dodds

I have seen this as well as a couple with David Friend. I only wish things had progressed differently, but fate is fickle. Thanks.

#2894642 - 12/07/17 07:14 PM Re: Interesting find in "Close Encounters" Script [Re: GRollins]
Tom Williams Offline
Gold Member

Loc: West Virginia
Does anyone else remember a scene in which the various close encounters were described?

My fuzzy memory of the enumeration of the three kinds of encounters is that it was done in a trailer (not the wheeled kind) by a voiceover, perhaps even aired on television. The promo was so effective getting into the public ear that there was no need to include it in the actual movie.

Wikipedia (which never gets anything wrong) tells us the enumeration was on the in-theater posters, which also makes sense.

The three kinds of close (<500 feet distance) encounters are (1) vehicle sightings; (2) vehicle sightings with aftereffects such as scorched earth or dents in the lawn at the park; and (3) the presence of an "animated" creature, be it biological or even a robot.

Semi-OT:
One of my favorite short stories was entitled simply "of the Last Kind." Spoiler alert...

==
Okay, here goes: The aliens are in touch with a crippled kid using a ham radio. He determines that they are friendly, and gives them the instructions to find his home in the Hawaiian Islands. They visit. They really are benign, as the kid had believed.

Last chance to look up the story and skip the spoiler.

Unfortunately, due to an error regarding scale, the alien ship, approximately 1/3 the mass of the moon, causes a tsunami when it arrives at Hawaii and destroys all life on earth.
M-Audio Keystation 88, Axiom 61

#2894701 - 12/08/17 08:59 AM Re: Interesting find in "Close Encounters" Script [Re: Tom Williams]
Desert Rat Offline

Originally Posted By: Tom Williams
Semi-OT:One of my favorite short stories was entitled simply "of the Last Kind." Spoiler alert...
==
Okay, here goes: The aliens are in touch with a crippled kid using a ham radio. He determines that they are friendly, and gives them the instructions to find his home in the Hawaiian Islands. They visit. They really are benign, as the kid had believed.

Last chance to look up the story and skip the spoiler.

Unfortunately, due to an error regarding scale, the alien ship, approximately 1/3 the mass of the moon, causes a tsunami when it arrives at Hawaii and destroys all life on earth.

O.K. my interest is sparked. I have tried to find a story with that title and plot and am coming up empty-handed. Who was the author?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner