Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2894576 - 12/07/17 12:36 PM Re: Interesting find in "Close Encounters" Script [Re: Joe BrokeIt]
GRollins Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: Joe BrokeIt
At one point, Lucas did release the original theatrical cuts of 4 - 6 on DVD, and I have them.

If they're the same disks I'm thinking of, there were already changes, even then.

Grey

KC Island
#2894578 - 12/07/17 12:51 PM Re: Interesting find in "Close Encounters" Script [Re: Desert Rat]
mate stubb Offline
Grand Poobah of the Trebuchet
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Desert Rat
So, with the Yamaha and Moog in the script, how did the ARP 2500 end up becoming the synthesizer used in the movie?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARP_2500

Doesn't really answer your question, but this interview with Phil Dodds (the guy from Arp who played the synth in the movie) is interesting:

http://www.rhodeschroma.com/?id=doddswilliams

http://www.hotrodmotm.com

#2894588 - 12/07/17 02:09 PM Re: Interesting find in "Close Encounters" Script [Re: mate stubb]
GRollins Offline
Gold Member

Playing keys wasn't even on my radar back then--I was still firmly in the bass camp (a little guitar)--but I remember thinking that was a pretty impressive synth. Somewhere around that time, I was playing with a guy who had an ARP 2600, doing some Pink Floyd-ish things, but the console in the movie was a whole 'nother level of hardware.

Grey

#2894609 - 12/07/17 03:48 PM Re: Interesting find in "Close Encounters" Script [Re: mate stubb]
Karl Schmeer Offline

Loc: State of Misery
Originally Posted By: mate stubb
So, with the Yamaha and Moog in the script, how did the ARP 2500 end up becoming the synthesizer used in the movie?

Doesn't really answer your question, but this interview with Phil Dodds (the guy from Arp who played the synth in the movie) is interesting:

Hey Mate Stubb
Many thanks for that link. A great read for which filled in a lot of blanks.

You may know of it already but Hal Chamberlin's book "Musical Applications of Microprocessors" gives a very detailed description / Analysis of the Chroma.
The book is out of print AFAIK but here is an ebook link to it

Musical Apps of Uc's

Thanks Again
- Karl

#2894613 - 12/07/17 03:59 PM Re: Interesting find in "Close Encounters" Script [Re: ABECK]
Happy Birthday CowboyNQ Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Adelaide, Australia
Originally Posted By: ABECK
Originally Posted By: MathOfInsects
"BUT WHAT ABOUT THE KIDS???"

Yes, but his kids were painfully annoying. I picture him getting on the ship, sitting on a couch with a beer and happily sighing. Finally able to relax.

Yes - I had that exact thought too!

The first time I watched that movie (was only a kid myself) I remember thinking "what a horrible family".

#2894617 - 12/07/17 04:06 PM Re: Interesting find in "Close Encounters" Script [Re: Karl Schmeer]
The Real MC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Secluded Tranquil NY Wine Coun...
Phil Dodds describes his close brush with an acting career (he's a great story teller).

NAMM interviews Phil Dodds

#2894621 - 12/07/17 04:32 PM Re: Interesting find in "Close Encounters" Script [Re: CowboyNQ]
GRollins Offline
Gold Member

Close Encounters is a victim of peoples' tendencies to judge things by the socio-political mores of their current era. I've seen a lot of criticism of Close Encounters, based on how we feel about "deadbeat dads" and such nowadays. Back in the '70s, no one mentioned that at all, that I can recall. I remember some discussion as to whether Teri Garr properly represented the Women's Lib movement of the time, but that was the thing that was top-most in peoples' minds during the mid to late '70s.

As many have noted--including Mel Brooks, himself--it would be utterly impossible to make Blazing Saddles in today's climate. Back when it came out, it was regarded as edgy, but normal humor. Now the central themes simply would not fly. Period. There are any number of movies from the '70s that fail to pass muster, whether for sexual/gender roles, racial profiling, or whatever other reasons, given our current notions. Somehow, people feel that the writers, directors, actors, and actresses "knew better" or at least "should have known," how we would view things ca. 2017.

Hogwash.

Lacking a time machine, I don't see how they would have been able to guess that we would have had a black president, that gays could legally marry, and that there would be a revisionist tale where Greedo shot first.

Makes me wonder what we'll assume to be normal in another fifty years. (Not that I'll be around to see it, though I'm sure my kids will be shaking their heads over things that "everybody knows." Hell, we'll probably just have had our first Martian president, humans will legally marry 'bots, and C3P0 will have been the one who fired the first shot in a free-for-all melee that claimed the life of Luke Skywalker before he could even become a Jedi. Life is weird and getting weirder.)

Grey

#2894622 - 12/07/17 04:38 PM Re: Interesting find in "Close Encounters" Script [Re: GRollins]
Happy Birthday CowboyNQ Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Adelaide, Australia
Grey, what you say is true in the sense that I judged the film by the standards of my "current era" at the time.

For the record, that was early 1980's, in a loving but disciplined household. My dad would NOT have put up with the chaotic family life represented in the film. Their behaviour was about as alien to me as the spaceship!

Cool movie though.

#2894623 - 12/07/17 04:44 PM Re: Interesting find in "Close Encounters" Script [Re: CowboyNQ]
GRollins Offline
Gold Member

Quote:
I remember thinking "what a horrible family".

Yeah, me too...but that just brands me as a Troglodyte in some peoples' minds. I'm not going to try to justify any of the characters' actions, good or bad, but I'd like to point out something that seems to get lost in the shuffle sometimes: Neary was under the influence of the friggin' aliens! They (somehow) implanted the idea in his mind to meet them at the Devils Tower. His actions were not entirely under his control. For some reason, that one central fact seems to have escaped a lot of peoples' attention. It's not that all those people who were trying to go to the aliens' landing point suddenly decided to abandon their responsibilities on their own. The aliens chose them--for whatever inscrutable alien reasons--to go with them to the stars. You want to blame someone? Blame the aliens. Not Neary or the other humans.

Jeez.

Grey

Edited by GRollins (12/07/17 04:45 PM)

#2894624 - 12/07/17 04:49 PM Re: Interesting find in "Close Encounters" Script [Re: Desert Rat]
#%$(# Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Orlando, Florida

From an interview with Philip Dodds: "I was called down as a "subject expert" to install the 2500 system on the set--ARP was to get some screen credits for this."

My guess is they didn't have to pay for the Arp. smile

#2894625 - 12/07/17 04:58 PM Re: Interesting find in "Close Encounters" Script [Re: CowboyNQ]
GRollins Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: CowboyNQ
For the record, that was early 1980's, in a loving but disciplined household. My dad would NOT have put up with the chaotic family life represented in the film. Their behaviour was about as alien to me as the spaceship!

I have a pact with myself not to discuss my father--or my relationship with him--in a setting such as this. No need to burden you guys and gals with that nonsense. However, I will say this...I believe my father would have taken a dim view of the Neary household, whether alien-influenced or not. On this, my father and I might have found common ground (as odd as that may seem).

Yeah, I'd have hopped on that ship in a skinny instant, beer or no. Who knows, maybe the aliens have something better than beer. One could always hope.

Okay, and just to ground this in a proper music forum sort of way...wouldn't you love to take a gander at the aliens' synthesizer? Maybe get to play it?

Sign me up. Who needs a damned Moog, anyway? Or ARP...or Yamaha...or...

Grey

#2894635 - 12/07/17 06:05 PM Re: Interesting find in "Close Encounters" Script [Re: J. Dan]
Desert Rat Offline

Loc: Arizona, U.S.
Originally Posted By: J. Dan

They needed a modular synth to get that complex sound. grin

#2894636 - 12/07/17 06:09 PM Re: Interesting find in "Close Encounters" Script [Re: mate stubb]
Desert Rat Offline

Originally Posted By: mate stubb

That is very interesting. Thank you.

I have been an ARP fan since the first time I tore the floppy plastic demo record out of a magazine in my high school years. Now, I enjoy playing one and still have a soft spot in my heart even though there have been some more user friendly synths that have come out in the mean time.

#2894637 - 12/07/17 06:11 PM Re: Interesting find in "Close Encounters" Script [Re: The Real MC]
Desert Rat Offline

Originally Posted By: The Real MC
Phil Dodds describes his close brush with an acting career (he's a great story teller).

NAMM interviews Phil Dodds

I have seen this as well as a couple with David Friend. I only wish things had progressed differently, but fate is fickle. Thanks.

#2894642 - 12/07/17 07:14 PM Re: Interesting find in "Close Encounters" Script [Re: GRollins]
Tom Williams Offline
Gold Member

Loc: West Virginia
Originally Posted By: GRollins
Does anyone else remember a scene in which the various close encounters were described?

My fuzzy memory of the enumeration of the three kinds of encounters is that it was done in a trailer (not the wheeled kind) by a voiceover, perhaps even aired on television. The promo was so effective getting into the public ear that there was no need to include it in the actual movie.

Wikipedia (which never gets anything wrong) tells us the enumeration was on the in-theater posters, which also makes sense.

The three kinds of close (<500 feet distance) encounters are (1) vehicle sightings; (2) vehicle sightings with aftereffects such as scorched earth or dents in the lawn at the park; and (3) the presence of an "animated" creature, be it biological or even a robot.

Semi-OT:
One of my favorite short stories was entitled simply "of the Last Kind." Spoiler alert...

==
Okay, here goes: The aliens are in touch with a crippled kid using a ham radio. He determines that they are friendly, and gives them the instructions to find his home in the Hawaiian Islands. They visit. They really are benign, as the kid had believed.

Last chance to look up the story and skip the spoiler.

Unfortunately, due to an error regarding scale, the alien ship, approximately 1/3 the mass of the moon, causes a tsunami when it arrives at Hawaii and destroys all life on earth.
M-Audio Keystation 88, Axiom 61

#2894701 - 12/08/17 08:59 AM Re: Interesting find in "Close Encounters" Script [Re: Tom Williams]
Desert Rat Offline

Originally Posted By: Tom Williams
Semi-OT:One of my favorite short stories was entitled simply "of the Last Kind." Spoiler alert...
==
Okay, here goes: The aliens are in touch with a crippled kid using a ham radio. He determines that they are friendly, and gives them the instructions to find his home in the Hawaiian Islands. They visit. They really are benign, as the kid had believed.

Last chance to look up the story and skip the spoiler.

Unfortunately, due to an error regarding scale, the alien ship, approximately 1/3 the mass of the moon, causes a tsunami when it arrives at Hawaii and destroys all life on earth.

O.K. my interest is sparked. I have tried to find a story with that title and plot and am coming up empty-handed. Who was the author?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner