Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2894120 - 12/05/17 01:58 PM OT, unlessen gettin to gig is fair game- FIRES in Calif
I-missRichardTee Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: S. Ca. USA
Yesterday I dedicated a day to my bass ( the best combination player and bass repair man- John Kallas , in my experience ) and hearing a Yamaha Genos in Hollywood GC.
Bass took me to Thousand Oaks CA. Light traffic going north from San Diego.
But the winds going north at 1100am and then later when I went to Hollywood.. and then even later near midnight when I finally was south of El Toro Y... Man those winds were unreal.
I saw swirls of leaves on the freeway, off and on all day and night. At night it looked like it was snowing, but it was leaves.
I am concerned for Hammond Dave and Mr Ferris and others potentially in "harms way", here in S Calif.

Edited by I-missRichardTee (12/05/17 02:01 PM)

KC Island
#2894124 - 12/05/17 02:13 PM Re: OT, unlessen gettin to gig is fair game- FIRES in Calif [Re: I-missRichardTee]
davedoerfler Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: thin ice
Originally Posted By: I-missRichardTee

Bass took me to Thousand Oaks CA.

and you didn't make an app't with our esteemed moderator? laugh

#2894132 - 12/05/17 02:31 PM Re: OT, unlessen gettin to gig is fair game- FIRES in Calif [Re: davedoerfler]
stoken6 Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: davedoerfler

and you didn't make an app't with our esteemed moderator? laugh

Mind you, some of the things I've seen slung over dB's shoulder - they'd make your toes curl. Honestly, some of them had (I shudder just thinking about it)... they had ...

SIX STRINGS!

Cheers, Mike.

#2894135 - 12/05/17 02:44 PM Re: OT, unlessen gettin to gig is fair game- FIRES in Calif [Re: stoken6]
Dave Bryce Administrator Offline
KCFFL Champ '14, '16
10k Club

Loc: Thousand Oaks,CA,UNITED STATES
I can totaly smell the Thomas fire from here - I'm way close to it. eek

dB

rockit ==> ReverbNation SoundCloud <==rawk

Professional affiliations: Amphion Loudspeakers Cloud Microphones Crumar/GSi elysia GmbH Reverb Foundry Roswell Pro Audio...and Electronic Musician

#2894140 - 12/05/17 02:50 PM Re: OT, unlessen gettin to gig is fair game- FIRES in Calif [Re: I-missRichardTee]
Dave Ferris Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Glendale, Ca.
We're ok, at least at the present time.. I'm hoping the Glendale Fire Dept. is keeping a watchful eye on the Verdugos. Our house is one mile from the Sunshine fire road trail head. I'm just concerned they are spread a little thin with the Lake View Terrace and Sylmar areas having fires. They have the whole 210 , as well as the 5 and portions of 118 shut down in that corridor.

Ventura and Ojai are apocalyptic nightmares !!! Hoping zxcvbnm098 is all safe in Ojai.

Diane's brother's condo is up on Summit, in the hillsides of Ventura, and they had to evacuate last night. Last report is they saved his house with the exception of two palm trees on the driveway that got scorched.

Two large apartment complexes on the corners of Kalorama were not so lucky. They were in flames late last night as Bob was driving out of the area. He was dodging not only erratic driving cars but people fleeing on foot in the streets. He said it was something like a scene out of a disaster movie.

The whole Ventura area is under siege ! I can't believe we are going through this at this late of a date in the year. The wind gusts are up to 75 mph in some of the canyon hillside areas. Scary stuff.

2005 NY Steinway D
Yamaha CP4, CP5

#2894142 - 12/05/17 02:55 PM Re: OT, unlessen gettin to gig is fair game- FIRES in Calif [Re: Dave Ferris]
J. Dan Offline
Bannination Free Since '08
10k Club

Loc: St. Louis, MO
Weird to be hearing about this now as temperatures hear are plummeting and parts of the Northern Midwest are getting snow.

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

#2894145 - 12/05/17 03:02 PM Re: OT, unlessen gettin to gig is fair game- FIRES in Calif [Re: J. Dan]
Bobadohshe Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Diego / Los Angeles
Truly bizarre for December. Strange too that the temperatures themselves aren't that hot. Fires and Santa Anas are not something I'm used to thinking about in the Holiday season.

What a bummer for those in Ventura and other affected areas. I drove home from Ojai through Santa Paula on the 150 back in April and the entire time I was remarking to myself what a gorgeous little drive it was.

#2894148 - 12/05/17 03:20 PM Re: OT, unlessen gettin to gig is fair game- FIRES in Calif [Re: Bobadohshe]
Dave Bryce Administrator Offline
KCFFL Champ '14, '16
10k Club

Loc: Thousand Oaks,CA,UNITED STATES
Quote:
Hoping zxcvbnm098 is all safe in Ojai.

Yeah, I wanna hear from brother Mike....

dB

rockit ==> ReverbNation SoundCloud <==rawk

Professional affiliations: Amphion Loudspeakers Cloud Microphones Crumar/GSi elysia GmbH Reverb Foundry Roswell Pro Audio...and Electronic Musician

#2894152 - 12/05/17 03:31 PM Re: OT, unlessen gettin to gig is fair game- FIRES in Calif [Re: Dave Bryce]
I-missRichardTee Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Not sure if this question is relevant or even appropriate, but
I am a faster driver than average, for sure. However, I am safe about my speeds and where I do that sort of thing. fast reflexes and mainly reserved for speeding between clumps of cars ( I dislike staying among flocks of cars- not safe for me. so I speed out and try to stay between clumps or flocks)
However, last night driving home to San Diego from 1000 Oaks.. I was one of the slower drivers. I am closest to one of the right lanes. As it got dark, cars are passing me... (not my favorite scenario, because I like to do the passing) constantly.
Why you ask... that damn wind is tossing my Kia four door, too freely.

I slow down in ice, fog, wind and rain. But Califorinians do not seem to do so.
My friend said the car becomes as if lighter as you drive faster, he advised me to slow down to not get catapulted on the freeway.
I saw more swirling leaves on my 300 mile round trip than I can ever recall.

Was I wrong driving at night at 55? Do other cars and trucks get thrown around as well.. and the drivers ignore it? Or is my relatively light Kia just the wrong car in heavy gusts?

This is relevant if wind is still happening on the freeways.

Edited by I-missRichardTee (12/05/17 03:33 PM)

#2894156 - 12/05/17 03:37 PM Re: OT, unlessen gettin to gig is fair game- FIRES in Calif [Re: I-missRichardTee]
davedoerfler Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Was I wrong driving at night at 55?

If the road was not closed by the authorities then no, you were not wrong.

#2894158 - 12/05/17 03:49 PM Re: OT, unlessen gettin to gig is fair game- FIRES in Calif [Re: davedoerfler]
I-missRichardTee Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: davedoerfler

If the road was not closed by the authorities then no, you were not wrong.

Distinctly and indubitably OT Would you go into a bit of detail on these words of wisdom, please?
"I'm not in favor of killing all lively and poetically exciting artistic-technical efforts in favor of a bottom up approach to help technos to power. At all. Not even when "there is coverage"."

#2894176 - 12/05/17 06:16 PM Re: OT, unlessen gettin to gig is fair game- FIRES in Calif [Re: I-missRichardTee]
davedoerfler Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Distinctly and indubitably OT Would you go into a bit of detail on these words of wisdom, please?

Sure, those words belong to Theo, taken from this thread, 4th post down
that's all the detail I can provide you, any more insight you will need to contact Theo directly

#2894190 - 12/05/17 07:25 PM Re: OT, unlessen gettin to gig is fair game- FIRES in Calif [Re: Dave Bryce]
zxcvbnm098 Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Southern Calif.
Originally Posted By: Dave Bryce
Quote:

dB

Thanks Dave Bryce and Dave Ferris for the kind words and thoughts. Hanging tough up here in Ojai.

I have a few friends who have lost their homes, and a few who barely made it out with their animals and horses, but all in all the main part of town is intact. Still winds and flames though, so not ready to throw up the victory flag yet. I've got a ranch in a rural area, so I'm keeping a close eye on the spread. Fingers crossed!! Stay safe all of you in fire areas here in SoCal...

#2894191 - 12/05/17 07:48 PM Re: OT, unlessen gettin to gig is fair game- FIRES in Calif [Re: zxcvbnm098]
waygetter Offline

Loc: Sausalito, CA
I lived in Ventura for many years, hopefully they get control of this beast. The winds that are blowing are actually not unusual for this time of year, they're called "Santana's", short for Santa Ana winds. They blow offshore, so us surfers love them when they are combined with a big swell. But when they are combined with fire it turns into a horrific inferno.

Thankfully it looks like so far they've managed to evacuate people quickly. I heard when this thing first broke, it spread super fast, consuming something like a football field every second.

I played a private gig at a ranch in the hills between Ojai and Santa Paula a month back, such cool people and a beautiful area, I believe it's all destroyed, so sad.

#2894192 - 12/05/17 08:00 PM Re: OT, unlessen gettin to gig is fair game- FIRES in Calif [Re: I-missRichardTee]
waygetter Offline

I would suggest that you shouldn't drive when it's not safe. Wait until it's safe, then drive. Note this is a different approach than playing keyboards, where playing it safe is not always the best approach.

#2894196 - 12/05/17 08:35 PM Re: OT, unlessen gettin to gig is fair game- FIRES in Calif [Re: waygetter]
zxcvbnm098 Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: waygetter
I lived in Ventura for many years, hopefully they get control of this beast. The winds that are blowing are actually not unusual for this time of year, they're called "Santana's", short for Santa Ana winds. They blow offshore, so us surfers love them when they are combined with a big swell. But when they are combined with fire it turns into a horrific inferno.

Thankfully it looks like so far they've managed to evacuate people quickly. I heard when this thing first broke, it spread super fast, consuming something like a football field every second.

I played a private gig at a ranch in the hills between Ojai and Santa Paula a month back, such cool people and a beautiful area, I believe it's all destroyed, so sad.

Ventura got hammered; many/most of the 150 dwellings destroyed in this fire were in Ventura.

It did start in between Santa Paula and Ojai in the area you're talking about, but the southwesterly winds whipped that small fire into an inferno by the time it got over the hill to Ventura. It started at about 5:30, but by 10pm it was destroying houses 12 miles away.

Edited by zxcvbnm098 (12/05/17 09:41 PM)

#2894201 - 12/05/17 09:32 PM Re: OT, unlessen gettin to gig is fair game- FIRES in Calif [Re: zxcvbnm098]
Happy Birthday CowboyNQ Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Adelaide, Australia
Sincerely hope that any and all potentially impacted by fires are OK.

#2894202 - 12/05/17 09:41 PM Re: OT, unlessen gettin to gig is fair game- FIRES in Calif [Re: CowboyNQ]
zxcvbnm098 Offline
Platinum Member

You all down under know a thing or two about brush fires as well....

#2894207 - 12/05/17 10:37 PM Re: OT, unlessen gettin to gig is fair game- FIRES in Calif [Re: zxcvbnm098]
Bobadohshe Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: zxcvbnm098
Originally Posted By: Dave Bryce
Quote:

dB

Thanks Dave Bryce and Dave Ferris for the kind words and thoughts. Hanging tough up here in Ojai.

Damn. Hoping for the best for you sir. I love that part of the world and hate to see any of our KB brethren displaced for stuff like this.

#2894268 - 12/06/17 09:51 AM Re: OT, unlessen gettin to gig is fair game- FIRES in Calif [Re: Bobadohshe]
Dave Ferris Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Glendale, Ca.
We now have what they are calling the Skirball fire. It's in the Sepulveda pass of the Santa Monica mountains between the West side and the Valley. Its technically called the Bel Air neighborhood.

The Skirball Center and the Getty Museum are now being threatened. Already multiple homes built into the hillsides have burned. The 405 is shut down in both directions between the 101 and the 10.

We are under siege of epic proportions ! I took an abbreviated walk this morning through our neighborhood because of the smoke in the air -- and the whole time all I could think about is -- please spare this slice of paradise here in the Verdugo Woodlands. We have so many old oak, sycamore trees and just an abundance of beautiful vegetation around here -- if something caught in one of the hills of the Verdugos, it could spread very fast around here.

My best Christmas present would be if we come out this nightmare unscathed and unscorched. I can't even watch the TV...too heartbreaking and gut wrenching to see all those homes lost in Ventura. frown cry

2005 NY Steinway D
Yamaha CP4, CP5

#2894273 - 12/06/17 09:59 AM Re: OT, unlessen gettin to gig is fair game- FIRES in Calif [Re: Dave Ferris]
Bobadohshe Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Dave Ferris
We now have what they are calling the Skirball fire. It's in the pass of the Santa Monica mountains between the West side and the Valley. Its technically called the Bel Air neighborhood.

The Skirball Center and the Getty Museum are now being threatened. Already multiple homes built into the hillsides have burned. The 405 is shut down in both directions between the 101 and the 10.

I saw those horrifying videos of the Sepulveda pass in flames as seen from the 405 from the early commute this AM. I haven't seen anything like that within LA itself before.

#2894368 - 12/06/17 06:10 PM Re: OT, unlessen gettin to gig is fair game- FIRES in Calif [Re: Bobadohshe]
waygetter Offline

Unreal. Like driving through hell. I've driven that fwy a thousand times. I remember growing up in the Valley and in Ventura, and some epic destructive fires way back in the day. This one's right up there.

#2894384 - 12/06/17 09:05 PM Re: OT, unlessen gettin to gig is fair game- FIRES in Calif [Re: Bobadohshe]
Barryjam Offline

Loc: Auburn, Northern CA
Originally Posted By: Bobadohshe

What a bummer for those in Ventura and other affected areas. I drove home from Ojai through Santa Paula on the 150 back in April and the entire time I was remarking to myself what a gorgeous little drive it was.

I just drove on the 150 last Saturday night to gig at Ojai Valley Inn.
Thought to myself "This is just gorgeous." (your exact adjective)

Home: Steinway L, Bob Schleicher A100 chop, 142 Leslie.

Gigs: Yamaha CP4, Crumar Mojo 61, Ventilator II. Lounsbury H&F. A&H QUsb mixer, Crown & QSC amps, JBL SRX-700 series speakers

#2894413 - 12/07/17 12:11 AM Re: OT, unlessen gettin to gig is fair game- FIRES in Calif [Re: Barryjam]
Geoff Grace Offline
10k Club

It's gotten hard to keep track of all the fires and all of those I know who may be in harm's way.

Thoughts and prayers to all. Let's be careful out there.

Best,

Geoff

Enthusiasm powers the world.

Craig Anderton's Archiving Article

#2894420 - 12/07/17 02:12 AM Re: OT, unlessen gettin to gig is fair game- FIRES in Calif [Re: Geoff Grace]
Markyboard Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Springfield, Virginia
Jeez this is scary! Even more so knowing where some of you live. Stay safe you guys.

#2894422 - 12/07/17 02:43 AM Re: OT, unlessen gettin to gig is fair game- FIRES in Calif [Re: zxcvbnm098]
Markay Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Australia
You all down under know a thing or two about brush fires as well....

Yes there are only a few of us who, at some time in their life have not been in or near the swirling wind, the heat, the smell, the embers raining down and the random destruction of houses with their neighbours left untouched.

Leave early and stay safe. Our thoughts are with all affected KC'ers, their family and friends.

An ad campaign has just started airing here preparing us for summer, the tag line is - fire has a plan, do you?

#2894620 - 12/07/17 04:28 PM Re: OT, unlessen gettin to gig is fair game- FIRES in Calif [Re: Markay]
zxcvbnm098 Offline
Platinum Member

Well last night it happened as predicted.

Winds drove the fire across the north end of the Ojai Valley and behind my ranch around 8pm. At about 3am the winds turned and the fires came roaring down the hills. The fire team stationed at one of my houses said I had to split when it got super close, so I boogied about 10 minuets before impact.

The engine had some guys from LA City Fire, and I gave them a heads up of how it would go down (fires in 1948 and 1985 on the property-similar pattern), and they set up the plan. They protected both houses, although we lost some trees in the orchards. No biggee there. I went back in around 7 this morning and it still smoldering, but all good. Phew! Dodged a bullet. Not all of my neighbors were as lucky....

#2894627 - 12/07/17 05:25 PM Re: OT, unlessen gettin to gig is fair game- FIRES in Calif [Re: zxcvbnm098]
davedoerfler Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

glad you, your people, and your property are OK. Hopefully everyone else on this forum will have the same outcome.

#2894643 - 12/07/17 07:26 PM Re: OT, unlessen gettin to gig is fair game- FIRES in Calif [Re: davedoerfler]
Bobadohshe Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Now down in San Diego we have our own giant blaze in North County. I am not in an area that would ever be affected, but the madness continues.

#2894654 - 12/07/17 10:42 PM Re: OT, unlessen gettin to gig is fair game- FIRES in Calif [Re: zxcvbnm098]
Markay Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Australia
Well last night it happened as predicted.

Winds drove the fire across the north end of the Ojai Valley and behind my ranch around 8pm. At about 3am the winds turned and the fires came roaring down the hills. The fire team stationed at one of my houses said I had to split when it got super close, so I boogied about 10 minuets before impact.

The engine had some guys from LA City Fire, and I gave them a heads up of how it would go down (fires in 1948 and 1985 on the property-similar pattern), and they set up the plan. They protected both houses, although we lost some trees in the orchards. No biggee there. I went back in around 7 this morning and it still smoldering, but all good. Phew! Dodged a bullet. Not all of my neighbors were as lucky....

Must have been a horrific night, good to hear you survived with minimal damage.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner