Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2894072 - 12/05/17 09:31 AM Arturia V-Collection 6 announced
johnchop Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Georgia, US
Clavinet
Fairlight (!)
Buchla Easel (!)
DX7 (!)

new rev of Piano

https://www.arturia.com/products/analog-classics/v-collection/overview

KC Island
#2894076 - 12/05/17 09:58 AM Re: Arturia V-Collection 6 announced [Re: johnchop]
EscapeRocks Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Texas
Nice!

#2894077 - 12/05/17 10:00 AM Re: Arturia V-Collection 6 announced [Re: EscapeRocks]
Franz Schiller Offline

Loc: New Jersey
Wow, I just bought V-Collection 5 a week ago. A WEEK AGO. Kind of a d-ck move.

I mostly mad because that Buchla would have been awesome.

#2894082 - 12/05/17 10:25 AM Re: Arturia V-Collection 6 announced [Re: Franz Schiller]
johnchop Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

There might be a grace period upgrade option? Check your Arturia account for options.

#2894083 - 12/05/17 10:31 AM Re: Arturia V-Collection 6 announced [Re: johnchop]
EscapeRocks Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

There is, $199 for the entire V6 for current users of the collection.

Separately the new instruments in the pack are $99 each.

#2894086 - 12/05/17 10:48 AM Re: Arturia V-Collection 6 announced [Re: EscapeRocks]
Iconoclast Offline

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
It also says there's updates to the V5 instruments included in V6. Anyone have any updates on that?

I might be giving Arturia some money this week.

Forte7, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff
...and a pickup truck to haul it all

#2894089 - 12/05/17 11:21 AM Re: Arturia V-Collection 6 announced [Re: Iconoclast]
johnchop Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

"The new Piano V2 has 3 new models, a useful built-in compressor, an advanced stereo delay, and more bands in the EQ to make it an even more usable and natural sounding piano instrument."
---
Analog Lab 3: "We collaborated with professional ergonomists and got opinions from real users to improve the GUI and preset browser. Analog Lab 3 includes the new instruments with presets from Buchla Easel V, DX7 V, Clavinet V and improved the management of multis for a much easier and quicker experience. "
---
"New HD GUIs for Solina V, Vox Continental V and Wurli V: New and improved, these instruments now have an attractive high quality 5K graphical user interface. Sounds good, looks good. Start making music."
----
"Stability improvements: More in-depth testing of the instruments and the development of technology has allowed us to make the instruments even more solid than ever before."

I'm not moved to upgrade for these "enhancements", and that last one simply tells me they are just becoming more disciplined developers, which is not really something to crow about.

Really only interested in the Fairlight myself ("Mo...ments...In...Love...") but waiting for the upgrade to go on discount.

#2894091 - 12/05/17 11:47 AM Re: Arturia V-Collection 6 announced [Re: johnchop]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
Funny timing, as I had Peter Gabriel's "Games without Frontiers" going through my head while walking to the office from the train this morning, so I'm definitely ready for a Fairlight emulation!

I believe they started a DX7 emulation years ago but had to halt it due to lack of approval at the time from Yamaha (it's a more involved story, but I don't consider it appropriate to make it public) -- similar to the withdrawal of an Oberheim VI by G-Force.

#2894093 - 12/05/17 11:49 AM Re: Arturia V-Collection 6 announced [Re: Mark Schmieder]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

In response to John's comments, I couldn't disagree more strongly. Any developer that bothers to become more disciplined in today's environment DEFINITELY is entitled to "crow about it", as the biggest problem we face in technology today is the pressure to constantly add more bells and whistles, "entertain" people, and forget about discipline, stability, and quality as an afterthought.

#2894094 - 12/05/17 11:52 AM Re: Arturia V-Collection 6 announced [Re: Mark Schmieder]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Franz, if you want Buchla, you could also consider Softube's new Buchla 259e Twisted Waveform Generator module for their Modular synth plug-in.

It's the only one I haven't bought yet (introductory price is $79 but I think you have to already own the Modular host, and I don't know if the Softube sale has ended yet or still has a few days left). I just can't justify the cost as I'm not yet using any of the other modules either.

#2894103 - 12/05/17 12:06 PM Re: Arturia V-Collection 6 announced [Re: Mark Schmieder]
johnchop Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Mark Schmieder
In response to John's comments, I couldn't disagree more strongly. Any developer that bothers to become more disciplined in today's environment DEFINITELY is entitled to "crow about it",

In a marketing blurb for an UPGRADE? That strikes me as odd, along the lines of "buy our new car, now with windshields consistently installed right-side up". grin

I certainly anyone paying attention to better software engineering, especially if it cools online bitchfests of "Arturia releases buggy POS rant rant rage rage etc." So if it's a not-so-subtle message to that crew to CTFO, cool.

Otherwise, proof's in the pudding, and I hope it IS good pudding. My expectation is that this renewed emphasis on testing and good engineering practices will make its way into the same products for V5 users, so s'all good.

-John

#2894116 - 12/05/17 01:28 PM Re: Arturia V-Collection 6 announced [Re: johnchop]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

It's a little confusing which products have been updated, and in what ways. I've read through their entire site now and don't feel confident of whether the actual sound engines are different in any of the existing products besides the Piano, or just some new filters, polyphony, etc. layered atop the same engine.

I only care because I am finalizing some mixes and will hold off a bit if there might be an incentive to re-track any of the ones that use Arturia synths. Mostly CS-80, Jupiter-8, and Prophet-VS, with some Prophet V, SEM, VOX, Farfisa, Wurly, Modular, Mini, Matrix-12. But less all the time as I am moving most synth stuff to natural instruments.

#2894144 - 12/05/17 03:01 PM Re: Arturia V-Collection 6 announced [Re: Mark Schmieder]
SeaGtGruff Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
I'm going to try to be smart about updating this time around. Last year I bought the V4-to-V5 update for a "special" intro price of only $199, except other people were able to update for only $99! I'm not sure if that's because they updated 6 months after me, or because they did free updates of their existing V4 products via the Arturia Software Center first. Anyway, I'm currently updating all of my V5 products in the Arturia Software Center, after which I'm hoping my "special" V5-to-V6 update price of $199 will go down. And if it doesn't, I guess I'll just wait 6 months to see what the price is then! grin

#2894150 - 12/05/17 03:28 PM Re: Arturia V-Collection 6 announced [Re: Franz Schiller]
Sven Golly Offline
KC Ambassador of Goodwill
10k Club

Loc: Toronto, ON
Originally Posted By: Franz Schiller

Were I in your place, I would send a polite email to Arturia support letting them know your situation, and see if they'll honour a complimentary upgrade to v6, as many companies do when someone buys this close to the release date of a new version.

Of course, if you took advantage of some insane discount over the Black Friday holiday to get v5 for nickels on the dollar, then you probably shouldn't expect much, and I wouldn't be bitching, because you bought a perfectly useful software package at the time, right? snax

#2894185 - 12/05/17 07:21 PM Re: Arturia V-Collection 6 announced [Re: Sven Golly]
johnchop Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Just downloaded demos!

Apparently existing V5 users get Analog Lab 3 which includes the new instruments, so you can at least go nuts tweaking presets if you don't think you want to go for full versions of those.

As for the new stuff, there's potential there. To me, Piano is where Pianoteq was a couple of versions ago. Grands are very playable (upright, not so much). Clav to me is on par with other modeled clavs. I'm no connoisseur, but it's fun and funky and easy to tweak.

Fairlight is taking me right back to the 80s, and feels like it blends the additive bits of Synclavier V with lo-fi sample playback. It looks crazy deep.

DX7 seems more in your face than, say, FM8 or Dexed.

The Buchla is straight up WTF. I like it. smile

I certainly applaud Arturia for holding to their vision of providing a vintage "experience" if not an utterly faithful recreation.

#2894206 - 12/05/17 10:08 PM Re: Arturia V-Collection 6 announced [Re: johnchop]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Thanks for the report. If I get home before midnight, I'll see if I can do a quick demo.

#2894213 - 12/06/17 01:23 AM Re: Arturia V-Collection 6 announced [Re: Mark Schmieder]
SteveQB Offline

Loc: Devon, UK
Just a note: If its anything like when v4 went to v5 you can get the latest version of any instruments you have without upgrading to v6. You just dont get the new instruments. Arturia is confusingly quiet on this point.

I have v4 and have the same version of each instrument in v4 as anyone with v5. I just dont have the v5 instruments (and now v6). I didnt upgrade to v5 as the new instruments were not of interest. Jumping v4 to v6 is definitely a better deal

#2894341 - 12/06/17 02:58 PM Re: Arturia V-Collection 6 announced [Re: Mark Schmieder]
davedoerfler Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: thin ice
from our friends at Reverb

#2894347 - 12/06/17 03:31 PM Re: Arturia V-Collection 6 announced [Re: davedoerfler]
JakeJackson Offline

So...Has anyone upgraded to the new Piano V? Much different from the previous version? The Arturia site lists presets that seem to be mostly the same as those in version 5. I don't even see, on their site, the mention of more EQ bands. Is the engine improved?

I do like the sound of the pianos in the above video from Reverb, but they sound to me as though compression has been applied. Not sure that there is a compressor built into the instrument, now, or if it's a separate effect--a vst or a rack unit. Or am I the only one who hears them as compressed?

#2894366 - 12/06/17 06:04 PM Re: Arturia V-Collection 6 announced [Re: JakeJackson]
johnchop Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Demo is free. Give it a try and see what you think.

#2894375 - 12/06/17 06:53 PM Re: Arturia V-Collection 6 announced [Re: johnchop]
JakeJackson Offline

I'm having trouble with the Arturia site. The demo version of the piano doesn't make a sound when I load the drivers for my Zoom 24.

I also can't access my account using the Arturia Software Center, which says that the service is not available, and to try back later. I've tried for over an hour now. Seems as though this new version may be attracting a lot of purchasers.

I'm not sure of the upgrades policy--I bought the piano in early December of this year. On the main page for the new version, there is a notice saying the new version is currently $19.95. I'm not sure if that is because I aleady own it or not, and am logged in, but when I click to buy the new version, the checkout cart says that the price is $99.00. There is a text box for a coupon code, but no coupon is mentioned on the page for the piano.

Am I the only one having these problems?

Edited by JakeJackson (12/06/17 06:54 PM)

#2894376 - 12/06/17 07:05 PM Re: Arturia V-Collection 6 announced [Re: JakeJackson]
Iconoclast Offline

Also getting the "Service Not Available" when I try to log on via the Arturia Software Center" App.

If I remember, their software license process is like fort knox.

Forte7, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

#2894377 - 12/06/17 07:15 PM Re: Arturia V-Collection 6 announced [Re: Iconoclast]
EscapeRocks Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Arturia's software activation is currently down.

They are having "redirect" problem. They finally got their overall site working a while ago, but other bits still having issues.

#2894392 - 12/06/17 10:17 PM Re: Arturia V-Collection 6 announced [Re: EscapeRocks]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I did all the updates late last night, but it didn't change my discount price of $199 for Collection 6. I'll probably still buy it for that price com e payday. Unless a reseller offers it for less by then. Right now it isn't showing up at any reseller sites.

I forgot to look at the GUI's for VOX, Wurly, and Solina before updating, but they look sharper to me so maybe I received the new versions from V6.

#2894393 - 12/06/17 10:18 PM Re: Arturia V-Collection 6 announced [Re: Mark Schmieder]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

BTW the Softube stuff went on sale again today for 20% off on any one Modular product (including Buchla at $79), with the discounts compounding as you add more to the cart. So someone who wants Buchla and needs the core host product Softube Modular might come in at a reasonable price if they feel the Softube Buchla is more to their liking.

#2894455 - 12/07/17 06:51 AM Re: Arturia V-Collection 6 announced [Re: Franz Schiller]
tfort Offline

Originally Posted By: Franz Schiller

Most companies will offer a free upgrade within a short window, usually 30 days. Otherwise, the customer would just return what they bought and repurchase new when this situation occurs.

I'd check the return policy where you bought V-Collection (software has some unique policies, but in many countries there has to be a window of time to return anything) and see what the return policy is. Once you know what the facts are about your ability to simply return/repurchase, you can either:
- ask the company for a free upgrade to simply make it easier for you both so you don't have to go through the return process
- ask the company for a free upgrade as a favor so they don't screw a loyal customer and engender bad customer feedback/unhappiness.

If you act very quickly, I'd expect them to do you right.

#2894471 - 12/07/17 07:53 AM Re: Arturia V-Collection 6 announced [Re: tfort]
Iconoclast Offline

I almost bought FM8 last week for $79. But it looks like the DX7 V gotten all the stuff I wanted out of FM8 plus more. The CMI looks awesome too.

I remember when I got V collection 5, you really need to write off a whole afternoon just to go through and go "whoa!" check that out. It's really overwhelming.

#2894563 - 12/07/17 11:46 AM Re: Arturia V-Collection 6 announced [Re: Iconoclast]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

It took me a while to warm to FM8 -- it's an old thread, but you might be able to find it. I spent a huge amount of time on the issues and wrote to NI about them. The responses are in that old thread as well.

One example: FM8 is stereo and doesn't mono-sum in a way that matches a true mono FM sound. I'm simplifying; the detailed explanation is in the old thread and thoroughly documented and verified. But phase details are a huge part of what a DX7 is about.

Ultimately, I moved on and decided NI were right to take it away from being a DX7 emulation (FM7 was closer to the sound of my hardware modules than FM8 is), and I embraced what FM8 can uniquely do, and how much closer they have gotten to the FS1r sound -- my favourite FM module of all time (I sold mine due to ergonomics that could NOT be overcome via programming).

I have heard that the Arturia emulation is much closer than even FM7 was, but that it also goes beyond it; perhaps into SY77/99 territory? Looking forward to trying it out when I buy the upgrade in a few days (post-paycheque).

Edited by Mark Schmieder (12/07/17 11:49 AM)

#2894607 - 12/07/17 03:41 PM Re: Arturia V-Collection 6 announced [Re: Mark Schmieder]
David Emm Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Oz. Its too damned green.
A friend and I have a lively debate going over the SynclavierV. Since it was created in collaboration with Synclavier Digital, its the real deal, not a set of preset samples. It has him all starry-eyed, heh. I described part of his existing rig- full of Kontakt & Soniccouture gems, an MS-20, a healthy mass of hand percussion instruments, etc.- and asked when he'd have even half the time required to actually shape such a major resource. I suggested that you were either an orchestrator of some sort or you made a Big Commitment to, say, a Buchla or Eurorack rig. I said time management would bite him in the arse by diminishing his focus on his existing projects, of which he has plenty. I'd feel a bit cross-eyed to consider tackling such a large and strictly Arturia-based package. I prefer hand-picking things piecemeal if a need arises. I wouldn't feel right essentially *wasting* a Synclavier. grin

Have any of you ever decided against a new synth because it failed the cost/benefit analysis, especially when it was a serious GASser?

https://soundcloud.com/david-emm-1

#2894663 - 12/08/17 01:45 AM Re: Arturia V-Collection 6 announced [Re: davedoerfler]
BRW Offline

Originally Posted By: davedoerfler
from our friends at Reverb

What the hell? Most of these don't sound anything like the originals? And his playing is poor.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner