Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2893991 - 12/04/17 09:16 PM OT - Sinatra recording 'It Was A Very Good Year'
Synthaholic Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Where the wild things are
Simply the best. Sorry, but the video can't be embedded here.

Sinatra!

Relaxed perfection. And a One Take Jake.

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

KC Island
#2893997 - 12/04/17 09:38 PM Re: OT - Sinatra recording 'It Was A Very Good Year' [Re: Synthaholic]
Synthaholic Offline
Platinum Member

Down the page is Bowie singing 'My Way' with different lyrics. The author of this page claims Bowie wrote it in 1968, but I don't believe he wrote the music, just the words. Paul Anka wrote the lyrics to 'My Way', but I've always heard that he ripped off the music from an old French tune.

Edited by Synthaholic (12/04/17 09:39 PM)
Edit Reason: clarity

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

#2894155 - 12/05/17 03:36 PM Re: OT - Sinatra recording 'It Was A Very Good Year' [Re: Synthaholic]
Aidan Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Stoke-on-Trent, UK
Originally Posted By: Synthaholic
Paul Anka wrote the lyrics to 'My Way', but I've always heard that he ripped off the music from an old French tune.

Comme d'habitude

#2894178 - 12/05/17 06:30 PM Re: OT - Sinatra recording 'It Was A Very Good Year' [Re: Aidan]
Synthaholic Offline
Platinum Member

Thank you! I knew Bowie didn't write it, so his song is also "borrowed".

#2894179 - 12/05/17 06:35 PM Re: OT - Sinatra recording 'It Was A Very Good Year' [Re: Synthaholic]
Synthaholic Offline
Platinum Member

I'm a huge Sinatra fan, so when I find a clip like this I start Googling around, and found a couple of funny anecdotes.

Frank liked to take large groups of friends out to dinner, and one time 30 of them were at '21' in NYC at a large, long table:

Jerry Lewis was seated at the other end of the table from Sinatra. Lewis ducked out during dinner, then came back. A few minutes later, a waiter handed Sinatra a telegram: “Frank — pass the salt. Jerry.”

Don Rickles was perhaps his favorite court jester. Sinatra loved to recall the time he ran into Rickles at ‘21.’ Rickles was on a date. He went over to Sinatra and said, “Frank, would you do me a favor? Would you come by my table and say hello? It would really impress the girl.”

On his way out, Sinatra stopped by. “Hi, Don,” he said. Rickles scowled. “Frank, not now. Can’t you see we’re eating?”

#2894184 - 12/05/17 07:20 PM Re: OT - Sinatra recording 'It Was A Very Good Year' [Re: Synthaholic]
cphollis Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Massachussets, Florida
Yeah, if I could find a vocalist who could do half of what Sinatra could do, I'd put my tail between my legs, and adjust my playing style to suit,

But that hasn't happened yet. Here's to hoping!

Keys: Nord Piano 2, Stage 3 Compact, other stuff
Amps: FA 12acs, RCF TT08as, QSC Ks, SSv3
Stuff: Stay stands, Key Largo, Vent II, X-Air 16

#2894194 - 12/05/17 08:19 PM Re: OT - Sinatra recording 'It Was A Very Good Year' [Re: Synthaholic]
Marzzz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Don Rickles was perhaps his favorite court jester. Sinatra loved to recall the time he ran into Rickles at ‘21.’ Rickles was on a date. He went over to Sinatra and said, “Frank, would you do me a favor? Would you come by my table and say hello? It would really impress the girl.”

On his way out, Sinatra stopped by. “Hi, Don,” he said. Rickles scowled. “Frank, not now. Can’t you see we’re eating?”

#2894200 - 12/05/17 09:23 PM Re: OT - Sinatra recording 'It Was A Very Good Year' [Re: Marzzz]
Synthaholic Offline
Platinum Member

Wouldn't you have loved to be in Vegas during the Rat Pack years? Although, I don't know if i would have wanted to be playing piano behind Frank. I think playing for Dean Martin would be a lot less stress.

#2894255 - 12/06/17 08:50 AM Re: OT - Sinatra recording 'It Was A Very Good Year' [Re: Synthaholic]
BenWaB3 Offline

Loc: Lancaster, PA

Wouldn't you have loved to be in Vegas during the Rat Pack years? Although, I don't know if i would have wanted to be playing piano behind Frank. I think playing for Dean Martin would be a lot less stress.

Bill Miller, aka Charlie Greenface, played with him for many years so I guess they came to some sort of understanding.

#2894291 - 12/06/17 12:04 PM Re: OT - Sinatra recording 'It Was A Very Good Year' [Re: BenWaB3]
Outkaster Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Rochester, NY
A friend of mine in Buffalo played for him towards the end of his tenure in Las Vegas.

noblevibes.com

#2894507 - 12/07/17 09:36 AM Re: OT - Sinatra recording 'It Was A Very Good Year' [Re: Outkaster]
kpl1228 Offline

Loc: New Mexico
The best cover of that song ever.
Simpsons Sinatra Cover

#2894539 - 12/07/17 10:34 AM Re: OT - Sinatra recording 'It Was A Very Good Year' [Re: kpl1228]
yannis D Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: athens, greece
Sinatra: how long is it?
Engineer:It's 4:12
Sinatra: it's longer than the first act of Hamlet

Pure magic thanx for sharing

#2894774 - 12/08/17 07:34 PM Re: OT - Sinatra recording 'It Was A Very Good Year' [Re: yannis D]
harmonizer Offline
Gold Member

Loc: NJ, USA
I love seeing videos that show the process of making the actual studio recording I have come to know and love. On this video I enjoyed seeing Sinatra's facial expression during and after "when I was 35", for example. Thanks for posting this!

#2894778 - 12/08/17 08:32 PM Re: OT - Sinatra recording 'It Was A Very Good Year' [Re: harmonizer]
Synthaholic Offline
Platinum Member

Seeing an audience in the studio was a shock. Woe to anyone who coughed in the middle of that take!

Or, as Rickles once said when Frank arrived at one of his shows, "Hi Frank! Make yourself at home - hit somebody".

#2895426 - 12/12/17 11:13 AM Re: OT - Sinatra recording 'It Was A Very Good Year' [Re: Synthaholic]
burningbusch Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Ghost Planet
Quincy Jones just posted this on FB. Thought it appropriate.

"Frank Sinatra. His name alone still carries more weight than a freight train & I've yet to meet another soul like him. In all the years we worked together, we never once had a contract...just a straight up handshake. And unlike many others during the 50's & 60's, race wasn't a chasm he had to cross...If he asked you to be onstage with him, you were out front with him. He wasn't about trying to put the "colored people" in the back. There was no gray to the man. He was hip, straight up, & straight ahead...& above all, a monster musician.

I'll never forget the day in '64 when Francis called me to ask if I'd be willing to arrange & conduct the Basie band for his album. I said "Man...is pig booty pork??!?? Puhhleeeze!" So, he flew me out to Kauai where he was directing "None but the Brave," & he sat me down in his office to explain what we needed to do. In the middle of the convo, he got on the phone & called a military friend at the Pentagon. He said "I'm shooting a picture & it'd be great if you could arrange to have the Pacific fleet ease by here tomorrow so we could film them in the background." The next day, the Pacific fleet eased on by...That's simply the type of guy he was & he had the type of influence that only he could possess. Francis & I had a connection that was out of this world...Literally. Buzz Aldrin played the recording of my arrangement of Frank Sinatra's "Fly Me to the Moon" with the Count Basie Band, in outer space, making it the first song ever to be played on the moon...It's a very special bond. But beyond our musical connection, we were family. Plain & simple. He left me his ring that bears his family crest, & I haven't taken it off since. Francis, I miss U more every day, but I'll never forget the beautiful times we shared...Happy Birthday!! I know you're probably still throwin' cherry bombs in the toilet! ((:0))"

Busch.

#2895506 - 12/12/17 04:22 PM Re: OT - Sinatra recording 'It Was A Very Good Year' [Re: burningbusch]
Joe BrokeIt Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
10k Club

Loc: Heaven, Hell, or Houston
Originally Posted By: burningbusch
I'll never forget the day in '64 when Francis called me to ask if I'd be willing to arrange & conduct the Basie band for his album. I said "Man...is pig booty pork??!?? Puhhleeeze!" So, he flew me out to Kauai where he was directing "None but the Brave," & he sat me down in his office to explain what we needed to do. In the middle of the convo, he got on the phone & called a military friend at the Pentagon. He said "I'm shooting a picture & it'd be great if you could arrange to have the Pacific fleet ease by here tomorrow so we could film them in the background." The next day, the Pacific fleet eased on by...That's simply the type of guy he was & he had the type of influence that only he could possess. Francis & I had a connection that was out of this world...Literally. Buzz Aldrin played the recording of my arrangement of Frank Sinatra's "Fly Me to the Moon" with the Count Basie Band, in outer space, making it the first song ever to be played on the moon...It's a very special bond. But beyond our musical connection, we were family. Plain & simple. He left me his ring that bears his family crest, & I haven't taken it off since. Francis, I miss U more every day, but I'll never forget the beautiful times we shared...Happy Birthday!! I know you're probably still throwin' cherry bombs in the toilet! ((:0))"
It Might as Well be Swing = killer album. I've had that on repeat since you posted this, Busch. thu

#2895561 - 12/13/17 12:56 AM Re: OT - Sinatra recording 'It Was A Very Good Year' [Re: Joe BrokeIt]
I-missRichardTee Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: S. Ca. USA
I had the pleasure, thrill, honor to play with him in the audience about ten times, during a 10 or so year period. He usually had a famous person with him.. It's been a long time ago, but I think he was with a ( Nixon? ) President.. and with Bob Hope on another occasion. But many famous celebs were in that now long gone Eastside club.
The men's room attendant told me when he was in the John, no one else was permitted in there. It was a small mens room. And Mens room attendant, a cool African Amercan cat, no doubt received a significant tip.
He liked our pianist/singer and I think he liked the trio as well. This was Manhattan, and there were hundreds of spots he could have hung out at.
I recall a 100 dollar tip for the band on one occasion.

I think Nixon requested A Nightingale Sang In Berkeley Square.

A girlfriend overheard him say to baseball manager Leo Durocher "That bass player ( Tee ) is a moth********". While on one hand, I could never be sure of this report, on the other hand, I prefer a compliment that is not obligated by face to face niceties. I naturally like to think he actually said that! An extremely proud moment in my career.
His singing is akin to Miles Davis, in its naturalness, respect for melody, creative phrasing, lyrics, deep feeling... and I heard that Miles dug Frank Sinatra.

Here is my favorite reharmonization of an old standard by Cole Porter by the world class, brilliantly prolific, recently departed Claus Ogerman.

Listen to this seemingly simple bridge reharmonization...

Edited by I-missRichardTee (12/13/17 01:05 AM)

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner