Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

SP6

Coker

The SP6 editor will offer full VAST editing capabilities.

Cool! So at http://kurzweil.com/knowledgebase/forte/product_comparisons/311/ it sounds like the relevant entry for the SP6 should actually be the same as what it says for the Artis7.

Q: Is there a list available of what SP6 sounds don't exist in the Artis7?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

At the sample level, the SP6 and Forte SE have all the PC3 base sounds, including KORE64 and the German Artis piano plus a very nice Japanese Grand, Rhodes 73 (in my opinion the electric pianos coming from the Forte, like this one, are way better than previous ones), Harpsichord (also a miles better than previous), Celeste, Clav, Crotales, some synth waveforms....

Overall, sample-wise, SP6-Forte SE samples are a major upgrade over previous products except, obviously, the Forte, that has all that and more.

Regards,

Fran

At the sample level, the SP6 and Forte SE have all the PC3 base sounds, including KORE64

On that Kurz comparison page, the SP6 and Artis7 are both listed as having "some" KORE64 sounds. Does the SP6 actually have all of them, so this is another difference between the two?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

All the samples are there, but not all the programs. So, you could save a kore 64 program in a pc3k and load it into your Artis or SP6 the same. The samples are there.

Thank you for this information!

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

Hope we will see better SP6 demos on YT soon. The sound quality of most of the current YT videos made by KURZWEIL YOUNGCHANG is awful. It sounds like the sound is going through a tin can.

And I don't have too much hope for a good editor. Most of the currently available Soundtower Kurzweil editors are not up to scratch - to phrase it politely.

Moreover, against all promises the Soundtower Artis iPad editor still doesn't work under IOS11.

LIFE IS SHORT, GO GET THE GEAR YOU WANT ;-)

The current YT SP6 demos sonically are really disgraceful I agree! They really could have put a bit more time and effort into them...

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

Hi,

You have lots of audio demos at https://m.soundcloud.com/kurzweil-music-systems

Regards

Fran

Hi, Fran.

Thanks for sharing that. Big difference.

Obviously the DSP architecture is very similar across the Kurz line, samples, firmware, etc. Can you comment on if DA and audio connectors are also the same model to model?

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

just wish there were more than 6 favourite buttons or some sort of set-list organiser for live performance.

Actually, only 5. But at least in Program mode, you can also define the Category buttons for which sound they activate by default (within their categories), so there is some ability there to kind of use them as additional Favorites. Other than that, you could do something like use an iPhone/iPad app for patch selection. But I agree 5 is awfully skimpy. If they were stuck with a 5 button limitation there, I'd have used the first button as a Bank "shift" button... i.e. hold it down to use the other four buttons to select from four banks, so that the 4 buttons could be used to recall 16 sounds. (But there are also interface considerations, as you would also want there to be some indication of which Bank you were in.)

The current YT SP6 demos sonically are really disgraceful I agree! They really could have put a bit more time and effort into them...

I was able to find these, decent audio demos with a nice selection of AC pianos and EPs. http://kurzweil.com/product/sp6/audio/

Note the SP6 has not yet landed in the US. I suspect we'll see some more/better demos coming shortly.

• 2 weeks later...

Chris always does a great demo.

Love the weight and included sounds most of all - especially at this price point.

But that action has got to play for me or no deal.

If it's at least comparable to the Casio - whch I don't mind playing - it's worth a good hard look.

Chris is very good, usually satisfied with his Demos...

I'm liking what I hear....the pianos are warm and present! Their orchestral sounds were always very very good!

He's getting around pretty well on that action! I hope I'm not talking myself into GAS! Still, I'll wait till NAMM!

Thanks Rusty Mike

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

Yup,I'm sold!

His Forte demo (some years ago) nearly made me bust my bank account but glad I waited as this has a nice simple interface for my small brain.

Another vid from Kraft - All playing - No Bundle Bullsh@t!

Very soulfull demo. Hearing the strings makes me want to dig out my copy of 'On Hearing the first Cuckoo in Spring' - by Fredrick Delius (arranged for piano)and dust it down.

No worries, here you go!

[video:youtube]

Just played one. The action indeed feels very similar to Yamaha's GHS (P45, MOXF8, etc). Not bad at all for the price. The board is very light - I tried to lift it and couldn't believe how light it was for a 88 keyboard.

Not a huge fan of the GHS - like I would fork over the extra $ for the CP4 over a CP40 for the action alone. But, yeah. I need to see how it works with the Kurzweil sounds assuming they did their homework and got the velocity responses right on the patches that really need that worked out. Definitely a must try.

GHS is weird, it really depends on how it's implemented. Feels better on the MX88 than it did on the P-85 or KX-8.

I really like the piano and string sounds on the SP6 demos. There is a certain musical quality to it, vibrant with a good sense of space. Even the old Kurzweils had that, they were just getting a little long in the tooth.

Hope the action will be good.

I have an MX88 also but part of the reason I was looking into the SP6 is that I find the key throw a bit shallow the way it's implemented in the MX. It's on the smooth side but shallow for me. Keys have a bit of lateral movement too but you get what you pay for, I expected that. I'd really have to play the SP6, hopefully the Sam Ash Mega store in Carle Place, LI will have one in soon.. Normally if I couldn't find an instrument at Sam Ash I would head into Manny's in the city and they would usually have one out as a demo but those days are gone ...

Hi guys,

I have watched a couple of youtube videos and this looks a really nice piano for the price.

I noticed that several Forum members are comparing it to the Casio PX5-S (which I have and is a fantastic stage piano). This January will be four years since Casio launched the PX5-S at Winter NAMM and It would not surprise me if Casio launch a replacement for it next month therefore it may be worth putting a purchase on hold at least until 25th January.

Chris

Not a huge fan of the GHS - like I would fork over the extra $ for the CP4 over a CP40 for the action alone.

...and even the CP40 is GH, which most people think is better than GHS.

I really like the piano and string sounds on the SP6 demos. There is a certain musical quality to it, vibrant with a good sense of space. Even the old Kurzweils had that, they were just getting a little long in the tooth.

Yeah, the nearly 10-year old PC3 sound set still sounds good. I'm not sure, but I don't even think there are any newer string samples in later models.

I was surprised to find this video actually killed my GAS for the SP-6. I would find the five favourites too limiting for live use and there are only something like 128 presets to choose from.

Now I've no doubt many of those sounds would smoke the FA-07 I currently own, but the FA 'does the job' and the sampling is really useful in the classic rock band I'm in.

Since I got it for under £1,000 and the VR-09 above it for £400 that's a perfectly serviceable rig for the same price as a Nord.

I would find the five favourites too limiting for live use and there are only something like 128 presets to choose from.

256 factory presets plus 1024 user presets for programs. Another 1024 user presets for multis. You can access them directly with the 10-key keypad.