Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

SP6

Coker

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Synthroid, I understand what you are saying, and that is how I meant the question. The question could also have meant, does any retailer have them yet. I apologize for my ambiguity. What I REALLY meant was, has anyone tried it out yet and whats their report?
CA93, MODX8, YC88, K8.2

In case anyone is interested...

Just noticed that the SP6 manual is now up on Kurz's website.

Controller functions over MIDI look pretty comprehensive for a slab at this price - maybe better than the Casio CX-5s and it dose have an expression input (and also two DUAL switch ped inputs)

I wish that you could set velocity offsets per Multi but it dose offer 10 global options.

Also a new OS update (16/11/2017)which improves velocity transisions for the piano programs.

And they have added a new "KB3 Trigger Mode"-you can set to trigger from either the top or bottom key contact. Neat!

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah - I think there's a few issues here with Kurzweil...

They have a user base that's heavily invested in the PC3K/A - many of which were upgraders from the PC3, and previous PC lines and they have tried to make transferring patches/"objects" possible for upgraders. Apparently this was also important when they released the Forte (which is different enough in form and function not be called the PC4?).

They appear to acknowledge that giggers and home users don't need all the deep editing features of their top of line machines but want the sounds. So they do Artis and SP lines. Then I guess there are users where action is not a priority, so they meet another price point with SE models.

And then I guess Kurz sees Casio selling a boatload of PX-5S keyboards due to good sound set, decent action, low weight and price around $1k. Well, there's no doubt Kurz can beat Casio on sounds - and with a plastic build + Medeli action they can do 27.25lbs and hit $1295 price mark. I hope it's a win for them. But yeah... it's not a nice neat line up.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

It is entirely possible that I will be replacing my venerable PX5S with the SP6.

Personally I feel I am the target market for this. It takes everything I like about my PX5S, and wraps it in a better package with a lot of features I have come to wish the PX had. (forgetting the obvious expression pedal issue)

Bringing so many of the function/parameter controls out from deep menus, where they live on the PX, is a winner for me. As is having status indicators ex. the Local Off/Keyboard transmit status immediately available and easy to see. Also, I like the zone on/off buttons on the front panel.

The days of me lugging around something too much heavier than the PX or this new SP6 are long gone. Heck I just retired and sold my Roland FA08 and brought the PX back into my live rig for this reason.

I don't get into wondering about what the companies are doing. If they produce something I like, that's all that matters.

The SP6 is 11 lbs lighter than the Artis SE. That makes a difference to me.

My PX5S is 11 lbs lighter than my old FA 08. Again, I can definitely feel the difference.

Would I like a Roland RD2000, a Kawai VPC, Kronos 88, etc..? Of course. However, price and no roadies precludes that these days.

It's too bad Casio has let the PX5S get this far without any significant updates. I wish they would have updated it when the focused on bringing the new 560s out with the control items we have been clamoring for.

Again, I love my PX5S. TheSP6 seems, to me, to take my PX to the next level.

Anyway, my very subjective take.

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

https://www.medeli.com.hk/

They are definitely going for the PX-5S with this model (IMHO). But I rarely see Kurzweil on showroom floors - they'll need to work on that, as I see Privias everywhere. I have no idea how the action on the SP6 will compare with Casio or Yamaha GHS, Fatar TP-100 or Roland Ivory Feel G. But I am eager to find out! ;)

yes it is. Now. I woud expect it to be as it has more features.

When the PX5s was new, and until recently, it was $999 most places. These things in the under $1500 range are right in my strike zone.

David

I asked Dave Weiser about the difference between the SP6 and Artis SE, and he replied:

The main pro of SP6 over the Artis SE: The Artis SE has been discontinued, the SP6 is just being released.

The SP6 blows it away - which makes sense because the SP6 is based on the newer Forte SE platform. Newer better samples (piano, EP, Clav) plus more FX.

The Artis is based on the older PC3 platform.

The first shipment is arriving on the 4th and another at the end of the month. I believe the big retailers like Sweetwater have grabbed up the first batch.

To me, it's a bit of a tough call between the SP6 and the Artis7.

SP6 is $400 less, 13 ounces lighter, hammer action, 32 fx units (vs 16), more user programs/setups (1024 of each vs. 256), 2 GB sound set (vs what I believes is 256 mb), including better piano in particular (also including resonance, half-damper)

But Artis7 has better screen interface, more editablity, more real-time controls (9 sliders + 6 switches vs. 4 knobs + 1 switch), dedicated EQ knobs, better quick patch selection (10 favorites vs 5, and main selection is done via what is essentially a 16 x 16 matrix vs. a 10 x 1 matrix with scrolling or keypad entry).

The SP6 looks great and is really tempting, but I really like the 9 sliders of the Artis7 (incl. for clonewheel emulation), and the 16-bank + 16-button quick access to programs, and the screen which allows me to see names of which of my programs are currently assigned to the 16 buttons.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

The SP6 is more expensive than the PX5s. About $500.00 more.

Mike Martin stopped in the other day. $799 on the PX-5S is a holiday shopping season promotion. Goes up again after December 31. Unless, there's am update coming in 2018. ;) which he has not suggested in any way.

Valid comparison, for me, except one thing. Artis 7 is 76 semi-weighted keys.

My main board for piano needs to be 88 weighted, which the SP6 is.

David

What keybed is in it? fatar to-40L?

No, a Medelli. TP40L would not have yielded a 27 lb final weight. That's TP100 territory, in the Fatar range.

Valid comparison, for me, except one thing. Artis 7 is 76 semi-weighted keys.

My main board for piano needs to be 88 weighted, which the SP6 is.

Yes, that's a huge difference. But at least with the (admittedly hard to find) lighter springs on the Artis7, I find it surprisingly nicely playable for piano... and while it's certainly not nearly as good as a high quality hammer action, I actually prefer playing it to many of the hammer actions that are out there. So I'm not as dogmatic about needing a hammer action as I used to be.

When Kurzweil releases the editor for the SP6 is when I'll make my decision. I'm hoping for full VAST and FX editing, but not holding my breath.

Based on the chart on the Kurz web site, the Artis7 has full VAST editing via the free software editor, whereas the editor for the SP6 will not offer that. That's part of what I was referring to when I said the Artis7 has more editabiliy.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)