Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2892016 - 11/23/17 02:23 AM New bass day! Fender Tony Franklin Precision
EddiePlaysBass Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Belgium
I recently sold my Ibanez BTB405QM, and am in the process of selling the cheap fretless because in both cases I literally hadn't played them in over 8 years. I wanted a better fretless, I wanted a P/J configuration and I wanted a Precision. Started looking around a bit and I realized the Tony Franklin would cover all those basses in one smile It helps that I've wanted one since 2009.

Looked around for a second-hand one but the only one available had a suspicious crack in the fretboard, right above the truss rod. Then I looked at the website of the shop where I bought my Fender Jazz and my Squier Precision, and not only did they have one in stock but they offered me a 20% discount! Still a hefty price for an amateur like myself but I took a deep breath, promised my significant other I'd pay back every penny (loaned money from myself) and placed an order.

It arrived over the weekend - roughly three weeks earlier than expected! Went to pick it up and got a guitar maintenance kit while I was there. I need a strap too, but didn't like the ones they had in store so I will make due with the one on the Squier.

This bass plays like a dream... It's really everything I ever wanted, and more. The neck is less chunky than my Squier Precision, and feels very comfortable. The setup was damn near perfect - very low action. It is strung with roundwounds (anyone know which brand - I assume Fender - and what tension?) which I want to swap for flats or tapewounds, once I have some spare cash.

There's a great tonal variety thanks to the three-way toggle, and I am obviously still in the "getting to know each other" phase. Two days ago I managed to only get the mwah when I selected the bridge pickup, but yesterday it was mwah all the way, regardless of what I tried grin My technique needs some polishing. Having said that, I found it fairly easy to play in tune a lot of the time. Definitely a lot of clams, too, but I can see myself taking this bass to the next rehearsal (which is 2 weeks from now anyway).

This could very well end up being my main bass for the foreseeable future ... I am extremely happy grin

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

BP Island
#2892224 - 11/24/17 07:23 AM Re: New bass day! Fender Tony Franklin Precision [Re: EddiePlaysBass]
jcadmus Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Connecticut
Originally Posted By: EddiePlaysBass
... would cover all those basses in one.

I see what you did there. wink

Remember, it doesn't exist until we see pics.

#2892631 - 11/27/17 06:12 AM Re: New bass day! Fender Tony Franklin Precision [Re: jcadmus]
Danzilla Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Nice! I'm not a P-bass guy, but if I had to, that would be the one I would pick. Enjoy!

#2892798 - 11/27/17 11:26 PM Re: New bass day! Fender Tony Franklin Precision [Re: Danzilla]
EddiePlaysBass Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

To be honest, Dan, it does not feel like a P-bass to me. Definitely sounds like one, though! I seriously love it. Neck felt instantly comfortable, playing fretless IS a challenge but it does "work" for me; I have the idea that I am fairly in tune a lot of the time.

Somewhat to my surprise, I don't miss the low B-string either, and coming from roughly 16 years of playing 5-string basses almost exclusively, that's saying a lot grin In a sense, this bass feels like coming home. When I got my Jazz bass all those years ago, I was seriously contemplating a Fender MIJ fretless bass they had in store, and decided against it in favour of the Marcus Miller.

And yes, I will try and post some pics grin

#2895580 - 12/13/17 04:25 AM Re: New bass day! Fender Tony Franklin Precision [Re: jcadmus]
Seamy ALB Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Ireland
No Pics no bass!! Health to play!!

Originally Posted By: jcadmus
Originally Posted By: EddiePlaysBass
... would cover all those basses in one.

I see what you did there. wink

Remember, it doesn't exist until we see pics.

#2895723 - 12/13/17 03:27 PM Re: New bass day! Fender Tony Franklin Precision [Re: Seamy ALB]
Basshappi Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Tucson,AZ
Congrats!

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

#2896048 - 12/15/17 03:52 AM Re: New bass day! Fender Tony Franklin Precision [Re: Basshappi]
Flemtone Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Mine Hill, NJ
Yep, gotta see it so I can ratchet up my jealousy factor.

Oh, and congrats on the new fish!

#2896126 - 12/15/17 11:24 AM Re: New bass day! Fender Tony Franklin Precision [Re: Flemtone]
EddiePlaysBass Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Sorry guys, I have been unable to connect to my old website (for some reason FileZilla fails to connect) so still no pix online ...

#2896528 - Today at 02:01 AM Re: New bass day! Fender Tony Franklin Precision [Re: EddiePlaysBass]
The Geoff Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Glasgow
Health to play it David. I play almost nothing but fretless these days. I have my Overwater Perception Pro Plus and the RD bodied special I built myself when at a week's tutoring with John Shuker.

I try & play them alternately.

G.