Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2879675 - 09/16/17 12:00 PM Unidentified Music -- Miles Davis Band or not?
Jeffrey Russell Offline

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen.
Can anyone identify the artists and the album on the 2-minute 40-second music sample I'm providing for you. I recorded it off the radio in New York City thirty years ago. I've posted inquiries on several Jazz music forums as well as two dozen Jazz radio stations across the United States and everyone is stumped as to who made this piece. The Shazam app does not recognize it and YouTube has not yet tagged it as belonging to anyone, which usually happens within hours of uploading copyrighted music even though I've had this music sample posted for two months. I have reason to believe that it's Miles Davis with one of his bands but Miles' official web site say it's not him. Another strategy I'm using to find my answer is to ask who might the musicians be, from the opinion of other musicians, so I might ask a trumpeter "does the trumpet player sound like someone in particular to you?" In this case, I'm asking you bassists to listen to the piece and make suggestions as to who you think the bass player could possibly be. I've known this piece for thirty years but it was only recently that a responder with a keen ear told me that there is a second base that bounces in at a few points in the piece, which I was able to distinquish after he mentioned it. This is a Smooth Jazz piece with some funky cool base work. The version you're about to hear has skips in it but your ear will still be able to piece it together. Sometime between the years 1982 and 1992 a few people sat together in a recording studio, cranked out this piece, taped it, printed it on vinyl (under a record label), released it to the public and got airplay. Why is it that, in 2017, there is no evidence that all this ever happened, except by my chance recording of it.

Here is the sample:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68ND-5gyAV8

BP Island
#2879702 - 09/16/17 06:16 PM Re: Unidentified Music -- Miles Davis Band or not? [Re: Jeffrey Russell]
Paul K Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Ithaca, NY
Just a hunch, but I'd bet a dollar it's Darryl Jones on bass. It sounds a lot like what he did when he played with Sting. So who else was in the band at that time? Most folks, and I'd assume Miles also, play with the same cats until one or more gets cycled out.

#2879717 - 09/16/17 08:13 PM Re: Unidentified Music -- Miles Davis Band or not? [Re: Paul K]
Jeffrey Russell Offline

Thanks for the response. I'll investigate the "Darryl Jones" possibility. I was able to get a response from Adam Holtzman on this issue. He was Miles' keyboardist and music director from '85 to '89. He says he is not the keyboardist on this piece, and that he believes that it's not Miles on trumpet, but with a grain of doubt. The doubt being that it could possibly be Miles when he was using "an Italian keyboardist." That would have been Paolo Rustichelli but that lead went no where. I've reached out to Marcus Miller but he has not responded. It doesn't even sound like Miller on bass to me but I thought he might have had a suggestion or two.

#2879760 - 09/17/17 04:18 AM Re: Unidentified Music -- Miles Davis Band or not? [Re: Jeffrey Russell]
Flemtone Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Mine Hill, NJ
If you have the date and time of the recording, all radio stations are required to account for all music played. Have you contacted WBLS directly to see if that particular playlist is still on record somewhere within the files?

You might also research and try to contact some of the DJs of the time at WBLS: Ted Currier, Preston Powell, Phil Silverman, Jonathan Fearing, Rene Hewitt, Vaughn Harper. It's a long shot, but it may prove worthwhile.

Unfortunately (for all of us) Hal Jackson passed away a few years ago. I was a huge fan of Sunday Morning Classics when it debuted and listened to it every Sunday in my truck between calls at work. No racial barriers, no 'us-vs-them' - just great music. Mr. Jackson was indeed a pioneer.

There are a fair amount of Youtube recordings of the Sunday Classics shows out there. Anyone not from the NYC area and unfamiliar with Sunday Classics might consider checking some of them out.

#2879827 - 09/17/17 01:34 PM Re: Unidentified Music -- Miles Davis Band or not? [Re: Flemtone]
Jeffrey Russell Offline

I can't even say what year this played on air much less a single date. My narrowest guess is between 1982 and 1992 -- and that's 520 Sundays.

Yes, I've already contacted WBLS about this. I was told by some manager that if the piece was ever played on the show it was probably in Hal Jackson's personal music stash which was all disgarded after he passed on. How disgusting is that?

Thanks for naming some of the personnel at the station. I will reach out to whoever is accessable. I believe it was Clay Berry who announced the piece as "Tutu," which brings us to another interesting aspect of this piece. My music sample is, of course, not the title track of Miles' 1986 "Tutu" album, however it does have two striking similarities to it.

1)
Both pieces of music use the same lumbering 3-note bass riff -- the base slowly plays the same three notes over and over in both pieces.

2)
Each piece contains a sort of break where the music tones down or thins out and then the trumpet plays six ascending notes which brings up the tension again.

If you want to compare them for yourself, listen to the 1986 Miles tune and skip to (time counter) 3:56 to 4:11, which is fifteen seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Jnqz62d9oM&list=PL9RpiKA3ruJ_Oich34SoUcPMYkQDXNcy6

Then listen to the equivalent of that on my sample from 1:40 to 1:59 (nineteen seconds)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68ND-5gyAV8

So, how much of a pure coincidence would it be for someone who plays like Miles to be doing a piece with the same bass riff as Tutu, with the same break as Tutu, with it being announced as Tutu, and not be some alternate or developemental version of Tutu?

#2892408 - 11/25/17 04:58 PM Re: Unidentified Music -- Miles Davis Band or not? [Re: Jeffrey Russell]
DWBass Offline
Gold Member

Loc: I'm Over Here Now!
The piece is Tutu but I don't think it's Miles. It's way too smooth. It's also a studio recording and I don't recall Miles doing another studio recording of this. The original had Marcus on bass and it was more gritty than this version. All his live versions were more gritty than this.

I went to school with Clay Berry. I'll contact him about this and report back if he replies.